ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud droaning sound?

Clio 182
Got a loud droaning sound basically at all times. Gets louder as I increase speed. Happens in all gears and is definitely not the exhaust. When inside the car it sounds like its coming from the back of the car rather than the engine.

​Any ideas anyone?

Clio 182
Cheers guys, tried the steering to left and right thing but it droaned regardless of what way I steered. Where can I get these rear wheel bearings from? Is it an expensive job?

Clio 182
Seriously? I can't afford that. Is it ok to drive around with them like this for a while or is my wheel going to come flying off and send me careering into the back of a bus full of school kids?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I had a rear wheel bearing go a few months ago. Makes a horrible whining sound. If its the rears then as above, they come in the rear discs already pressed in. You can change just the bearing but the bearing will need to be pressed in.

Last edited:
  big boost cup
Seriously? I can't afford that. Is it ok to drive around with them like this for a while or is my wheel going to come flying off and send me careering into the back of a bus full of school kids?

Pm G172 he should be able to sort something out for you

Clio 182
What am I PM'ing him about? Sorry I'm confused lol. Checked the ktec website and its about £143 for some brand new rear discs with wheel bearings included. Anyone know how much they would be to get fitted at a normal garage? I'm s**t with all this stuff (as you can tell)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'll get those fitted for you no bother for a lot cheaper than a garage.

Contact G172 on here, he's a brake dealer on here. You want rear discs with ABS rings and bearing pressed in. Sorted

Clio 182
I'll get those fitted for you no bother for a lot cheaper than a garage.

Contact G172 on here, he's a brake dealer on here. You want rear discs with ABS rings and bearing pressed in. Sorted

thanks mate, just messaged him. Once I hear back from him il be in touch if I need them fitting :)

Yer no need for new disks at all, they can be pressed out. the bearings are around £15 and did it myself but bit tricky, garages want about £70-80 usually though :(

Clio 182
How long can I drive the car like this? Because I won't have the money to do this until the end of the month but I have to drive to work everyday...

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
at what speed do you start to hear it at?

jack up the back and spin the wheels by hand to hear what one it is also check for play. if theres play wouldnt recommend driving it till its sorted.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
where abouts do you live in essex Bradtake? might be able to point you in the right direction, you can get any bearing you want from colchester bearings, best to get someone to have a look make sure thats what it is.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Buying a bearing is a massive false economy.

Considering you can get discs and pads delivered for about £100, buying 20 odd quid worth of bearing, then having to pay a garage to press out and then press back in is going to work out the same pretty much, if not more.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely sounds like a rear wheel bearing. Mine did it at 40mph-50mph then 70mph+. As rob said for the price of what a garage may charge for the bearing to be fitted you might as well just get a set of rear discs with the bearings already pressed in. That way you get new discs aswell. Don't settle for cheap eBay or ktec prices, get genuine oem ones. G172 will sort you put a good price then pay someone to fit them got a few beer tokens :)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Seriously? I can't afford that.

If you can't afford a pair of discs and bearings when needed, you really shouldn't be running the car then TBH

What's gonna happen when you need two front tyres? Run them down to the bones and then buy part worns?

Clio 182
If you can't afford a pair of discs and bearings when needed, you really shouldn't be running the car then TBH

What's gonna happen when you need two front tyres? Run them down to the bones and then buy part worns?

Don't mean to be rude but you have no idea of my situation so please don't judge when you have no facts.

Will be buying disks and pads etc off of G172 in the very near future and hopefully that will sort the issue, just hoping it is actually the rear bearings and I'm not wasting my money!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'll be heading over to Laindon on Saturday, I'd be more than happy to check it over for nothing for you?

Quick test drive and jack up the rear should diagnose it no problems.

There are people on eBay selling genuine rear discs cheap, let me see if I can find a link.

ive set it up to include all discounts on most bits.
67.50 plus vat for discs and 15 plus vat on genuine pads if you buy the discs.saves having loads of enquiries

Clio 182
Mate does that pads and discs set come with the new rear bearing pressed in? If so I will buy them tonight. G172 wanted to charge me about £130!

Clio 182
Just bought them! Cheers for the link Rob! If you're about in Laindon I could come and meet you somewhere or by all means come round to mine and il make you a cuppa/give you a can of fosters haha

derv biege barge
Buying a bearing is a massive false economy.

Considering you can get discs and pads delivered for about £100, buying 20 odd quid worth of bearing, then having to pay a garage to press out and then press back in is going to work out the same pretty much, if not more.

Enough said really.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just bought them! Cheers for the link Rob! If you're about in Laindon I could come and meet you somewhere or by all means come round to mine and il make you a cuppa/give you a can of fosters haha

I'll PM you my number, if you pop over to where I am in Laindon, then I'll take a proper look no issues.