ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2016 Clio (1.2T) rattle under load

Clio Expression 2016
Hey guys! New member coming in with a question about a noise in a Renault I have been checking out..

The vehicle is a 2016 Renault Clio Expression+, automatic, with the 1.2T engine.

I’ve just looked it over and it’s been fully serviced since it’s purchase, 1 owner since new, but when I drive (or even rev the car in neutral) I get a pretty noticeable metal sounding noise coming from what I can only assume is the engine bay.

Usually the noise kicks in around 1.7k revs and does seem to continue up until 3000+ - but I’d say it’s most noticeable at low revs.

It doesn’t sound deep and thumpy, more tinny and rattly, if that makes sense..

I got under it and rattled the exhaust heat shields but they seemed tight.

Pre purchase inspection was nearly perfect except for that noise.

Road test confirmed it for me too. Sounds a lot louder when driving past parked cars.

It gave a similar sounding noise to the one my Mazda gave when the alternator was on its way out.

The car was low on oil, could it be that simple?

Any advice is appreciated - I have to let him know ASAP if I want it!

Cheers.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
So the car is making an unidentifiable noise and is low on oil…
I think you should just forget about it and find another tbh.

If the seller is too lazy to keep the oil topped up, it sets a precedent for the maintenance of the rest of the car imo.

Clio Expression 2016
So the car is making an unidentifiable noise and is low on oil…
I think you should just forget about it and find another tbh.

If the seller is too lazy to keep the oil topped up, it sets a precedent for the maintenance of the rest of the car imo.
Yeah, I’ve basically said that to him. If he’s willing to have it checked out and they can verify it’s not an issue I might still buy it.

The low oil was definitely a surprise considering the history was so good!

If I find out about it I’ll be sure to edit and post.
As above, How low was the oil?
I didn't think it was majorly low, but definitely low. It did warn on the screen that it needed to be topped up, if that helps.

He is taking the car to a mechanic to get it looked into which is good.

Clio Expression 2016
I should add they look to have been VERY consistent with oil changes. Almost always right on the money with timing, and there was a recent receipt for a major service (all fluids etc.)

Seems like it has been taken care of, except for this instance.