ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've crossed to the dark side! (MBP content)

LY 182
FFS. Gutting isn't it?

I dropped a mug on my first MBP from about three feet. That wasn't so tiny. :eek:

FYI, if you iSight camera would decide to pack up, they replace the lid and LCD, free of charge. Ahem.

Lol. Well my lid at times feels a bit stiff and has a little cracking sound when opening / closing so I was hoping that was a fault I could use but the guy was like it's just cause it's new and needs a bit of time to loosen. Tbh I'm not even sure if that's true, but he certainly wasn't gonna be sorting a brother out lol.

Dan, sorry to be derailing this thread for you bud. As you've spec'd it up very well already I guess you might just be looking at a load of accessories. Or maybe a voucher for you to spend on whatever you please. Christopher is more of the expert here lol...

Mercedes
I went into the apple store this weekend as the I phone was running slow and a bit rough (after me dropping it and spilling a bit of water) anyway took it to Genius bar and they swapped the phone with no problems there was a crack in the case and i had chiped the edge of the screen.

I havent, and that was something I have considered. But...

....being cheeky, that wouldn't cost apple anything (assuming of course nothing went wrong with my MBP, which it shouldnt!!)

LY 182
I think you could get the extended Applecare on top of whatever, tbh. Given the several problems you've had, just explain you'd like to have the extra cover for peace of mind.

What I keep thinking is, even IF they gave me a free iPhone/iPad or whatever, they would still be making a huge profit from my £2k!!

I will probably end up saying that too!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd be happy with extended Applecare and a 32GB Touch or 16GB iPad as compensation.

That's not being too cheeky at all.

You have the Director on your side, kinda. Use it!

I would be happy with that Chris, apart from I already have an iPod touch, and I bought my Mum an iPad for xmas.....see I'm a bloody good Apple customer!!

But I would still accept it and probably sell it! ;)

I really can't see them giving me a iPod/iPad though, I really can't. But I WILL try!

Don't forget the shop minions are s**t scared of proper management.

The Genius you speak too will say 'Sorry, I can't give you anything' which is true. But a manager can you anything at all.

I can't believe you bought a £2k MBP without AppleCare TBH. So get them to add that too! Lol.

AppleCare is like another £300! Fuk that lol!

It's already been arranged that I will be speaking to the store leaders (I assume that means managers), so that's a relief!

Just had a nice chat with the Business Manager at the Bullring Store.

Basically, as my MBP isn't standard, they would have to order one in, which could take a few weeks. They asked if it was ok to continue using mine until then, which I had no problem with at all.

He tiptoed onto the point of 'sorting me out' with something as well. He mentioned some software of something like that.

I asked about having Applecare, which he personally had no problem giving me, but he had to double check first. And I jokingly said, 'and maybe some accessories for having to drive to Birmingham?' and he laughed and said no problem! :D

They'd also show me around etc which they'd do normally anyway.

So a pretty good outcome I think, the Applecare would be good, I know I'm not really getting anything, but it's reassuring to know my MBP is secure for three years.

LY 182
Just had a nice chat with the Business Manager at the Bullring Store.

Basically, as my MBP isn't standard, they would have to order one in, which could take a few weeks. They asked if it was ok to continue using mine until then, which I had no problem with at all.

He tiptoed onto the point of 'sorting me out' with something as well. He mentioned some software of something like that.

I asked about having Applecare, which he personally had no problem giving me, but he had to double check first. And I jokingly said, 'and maybe some accessories for having to drive to Birmingham?' and he laughed and said no problem! :D

They'd also show me around etc which they'd do normally anyway.

So a pretty good outcome I think, the Applecare would be good, I know I'm not really getting anything, but it's reassuring to know my MBP is secure for three years.

That's decent. For a laptop of that value, as Revels said, it'd be crazy not to get it! Now you just gotta try and sweet talk em into as many accessories as possible lol.

Read something yesterday about a guy who had his iPhone 3G replaced 8 times managed to get it swapped for a 4 in the end!

Was probably Chris. He doesn't pay for upgrades, just bugs them until they give in.

If the outcome is that I get free Applecare, then I'll be happy. It doesn't cost Apple anything providing nothing goes wrong, which it shouldn't, so I see that as a very fair deal. That could potentially save me £2k in the long run!

Something extra to compensate me going to the Apple store would not be greedy I think, but a nice bonus.

I know the Time Capsule is not their best product, but that's pretty much the only accessory I think I would really benefit from! But that might be reaching a tad too far.....but if you don't ask...you don't get!

LY 182
They're pretty good with the iPhones. Went to MK on Saturday with a mate. He'd been in the week before cos he just wasn't getting any signal. They told him to reset it all and try that. He did it about 4 times and still no signal. So went in on Saturday, 10 mins later he had a brand new replacement. He was hoping for a 4, but can't really complain about a brand new 3GS lol.

Woohoo! Just had an email saying that I WILL be getting free Applecare on the new MacBook Pro which should arrive soon.

He didn't mention anything else, but I'll push for something little at the store too ;

Finally....

My MBP has arrived at the Bullring store, so I'll be leaving work early to pop up and collect it, and also get some tuition as well.

Also....my iCarbons skin has arrived from the states too, perfect timing :) I'll get some snaps up later

I'll certainly give it a go. I might break the ice by suggesting a Time Capsule, I doubt they'll give it but it's worth starting high ;)

The only accessory I could do with is a spare charger, so I can keep one in my travel bag and one in my room (read lazy), that's about £60 I think.

I'll point out that the applecare that they're giving me shouldn't cost them anything - we'll see what they say :)

Finally.....(again).....

I have a working and new looking MBP with no scratches or dents :)

Here's some pics with the iCarbons skin on. Really impressed with it, feels great and looks like real CF too. But most importantly, it feels pretty tough, so will protect the front and back from any scratches......and if I get fed up with it I can just peel it off. £20 from the states too.....bargain :)

DSC2529.jpg

DSC2520.jpg

DSC2535.jpg

I quite like this shot I did, I may even make it my new wallpaper to celebrate! ;)

DSC2507.jpg

It's been one hell of an adventure! :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nice one! I had one of those iCarbons skins on my old MBP because I dropped a cup on it. lol

My picture is slightly less impressive though. :eek:

web.jpg

I'm still in awe of my MBP's battery. Coconut still reports it has 98% of its original capacity, after 16 months and 127 load cycles. It lasts for hours upon hours upon hours, and just keeps on chugging, even with 720p video playing. It's an ungodly battery. SRSsly. Properly off the hook. Fisrt best laptop ever. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited:
Yeah. I understand why the 17" is so good. It's just that it goes against the grain of acceptance that big, reasonably powerful, brilliantly lit laptops, should have batteries that can withstand hours on end of hardcore abuse. Traditionally it's always been the big powerful laptops that drained a battery in 60 minutes.

Cool as f**k. Apple rock. Go Steve. Allright.

Yeah. I understand why the 17" is so good. It's just that it goes against the grain of acceptance that big, reasonably powerful, brilliantly lit laptops, should have batteries that can withstand hours on end of hardcore abuse. Traditionally it's always been the big powerful laptops that drained a battery in 60 minutes.

Cool as f**k. Apple rock. Go Steve. Allright.

My second hard drive bay arrived yesterday, so I fitted it last night - I've just been transferring a load of files to it.

screenshot_001-1.jpg

Piece of cake to install, booted up and it detected it straight away. Reformatted it, created two partitions- one for storage and the other for Time Machine backups of my OSX drive.

The only drawback is it's not completely silent anymore :( Oh well ;)

And I will keep an eye to see if it affects the batter life much, I want to find a way of spinning down the HDD when it's not being used. Any ideas on this?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Great setup mate. I've done the same thing for TM... as I use a Time Capsule, but I've heard they're somewhat unreliable. lol

LY 182
That Carbon skin looks fantastic Dan!

Did I miss the outcome of your trip to Apple? Looks like you must of got the extended Applecare and a time capsule?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Extended Applecare is essential.

Plus, if you have any issues in the future, there's no need to take it to a store. Extended Applecare gets you collection from your home.