ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've crossed to the dark side! (MBP content)

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I'd take it back, that's a pretty poor show tbh.

I'm sure they'd swap it if you told them ...?

Do they really use refurbished ones as replacements? It's just things like that and things like the mains adaptor has swirls that you would expect to find if it's been cleaned.

Oh....this second I've also noticed two scratches right by the trackpad. One is about an inch! I'll try and get a photo.

That's the bigger one:

_DSC1955.jpg

There's another nearer the keyboard too :(

Even if they are refurbs, they're usually absolutely spotless anyway.

Definitely complain. Book an appointment and they'll swap the case for you there and then I expect.

Yeh I will now. I'll keep seeing those scratches and it'll bug me. No problem if I did it, but that's my problem.

There is at least one good thing to come from this....I didn't send the Apple stickers back with the last one, and I won't with this one either....so I'll end up with 6 Apple stickers (assuming the next one doesn't go back too!)

Top marks for customer service to be fair.

I got offered £70 to keep this one, or replace it. I originally jumped at the money, but then changed my mind. I'd rather have a spanking new looking MBP (I hope!!)

They should have it all in stock. Depends how big the store is.

If you call up and explain, so they can make sure they have it.

Who did you deal with for the original replacement? Get in contact with them and see what they say but really it should be classed as DOA.

*edit*

Replacement FTW!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Has no one considered the hybrid hdds ?

There are issues running them in Macs apparently. I was going to go for one but didn't after reading several Mac reviews.

SSD is only a matter of time for me, that is vid is MUCH quicker opening apps than mine is. Very nice. And the XBench results are loltastic. 60 -> 300 ? Brilliant!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Coming from someone in your exact situation a few weeks ago; complain. That's not on. Not at all.

I got a sincere phone call apologising and an upgraded MBP for my troubles.

...and my defects were tiny, yours really aren't!

EDIT: just read the last page. :eek:

What so I should have complained more?

This one seems ok so far, although there is a tiny hairline 'scratch' right down the centre of the screen. If you catch it in the right light it's quite prominent.

So if I ring up now and see if I can blag a free ipod or something? ;)

Monaro VXR
Am I the only one looking at the drive benchmarks and thinking that the speeds are low on the SSD?

Just in my windows machine running benchmarks 256kb block my read speed is over 270mb/s on a single drive which for all intents and purposes is basically identical to the OCZ drive. I run the Corsair Force drives. Basically the corsair branded version. Same controller and memory etc identical specifications.

Be interested to see you run ATTO benchmark under windows. See what kind of figures you get. Some of the benchmark tools don't work very well for SSD's you see. Not sure there is an OSX version of ATTO.

With both drives in raid 0 under ATTO benchmark I get these results. With a single drive basically half them and you should be about right. Still 158mb/s seems slow for that drive.

Attobench.jpg

Right......that scratch is a bit worse than I thought. Although in most situations is is a little tricky to see, but if you're working on a dark image/area then it's obvious if the light is in the right place.

Here's a few snaps:

_DSC2224.jpg

And to give you an idea of the scale, here's a full screen shot:

_DSC2233.jpg

You can also see little scratches just to the right of the biggun'

I can't be assed to send this back though.

Is it me being a picky/fussy ****, or is that quite bad for an allegedly 'brand new' £2000 laptop!?!?!

Monaro VXR
That scratch would piss me off to no end. Knowing it was there would mean I would be looking for it every time I used the machine.

Not right for a new laptop at all. It should be absolutely perfect, not a single mark on it.

White APE
It may be hassle taking it back but that's not on sending you a replacement that is damaged also. I would want a perfect replacement and compensation for all the hassle you've had to go through.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yep. F*ck accepting that.

You've had the worst run of luck with machines I've known. Your issues make mine look seriously picky. lol.

That'd be straight back to Apple with a polite, yet strongly-worded letter of complaint.

^ lol yeh I will send it back. Im noticing it more and more now. I can imagine it would get on my tits if I was outside too!

I'm trying to find the best next step. Of course I will have to arrange a replacement, but I don't want to talk to some sales monkey on a phone about my situation and them offer me something crap in return.

Also, the trouble with me is I'm quite a calm person, I never get angry on the phone at all. And although I'm proper pissed of that a huge company like Apple has dicked me around, I feel bad for getting angry lol! Sad I know!

EDIT: I also feel bad saying something along the lines of 'What can I get as compensation etc? I feel a bit cheeky!

Yeah that scratch is completely unacceptable

I'd say something to the effect of:

"This has been an extremely disappointing experience. Apple is a company that is always keen to promote both the design and high quality of its products and therefore to have had to return one Mac Book Pro, let alone three, is wholly unacceptable. I have expended a significant amount of time and effort trying to resolve the various issues. What can you do to help restore my confidence in Apple and also compensate me for the hassle, time and effort that I have expended...."

Guys, Im writing a draft email for my rather unique situation.

Would you include photos, or just say I can provide photos on request?

And is Pauls post a nice way of saying 'what are you going to give me to make it up to me?!'

I've never written anything like this before, as I've never had service like this before!

This is what I have so far.

I really don't know how to write stuff like this, having never done it before! Improvements/comments? How should I end it too?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Recently I finally made the decision to purchase Macbook Pro.

I was initially delighted to receive my first ever Mac, but soon after I found that there was a problem. The 'c' key on the keyboard would not respond properly, and in normal typing it would almost always be missed.

I contacted Apple Sales, and they quickly and efficiently arranged a replacement.

A few days later the replacement arrived, but I was appalled to find dents on the back panel, and then on closer inspection - large scratches on the front panel, near the trackpad.

Again I contacted Apple Sales and yet again they arranged a replacement.

Yesterday I received the replacement, only to find a very large scratch on the display.

This has been an extremely disappointing experience. Apple is a company that is always keen to promote both the design and high quality of its products and therefore returning one Mac Book Pro, let alone three, is wholly unacceptable. I have expended a significant amount of time and effort trying to resolve the various issues.

For your reference, I have attached photographs to show the relavent damage to the Macbooks that I have received so far.

I wouldn't ask for compensation at this stage, but mention in the letter the amount of trouble/hassle you have incurred due to faulty original item/refurbished models as replacements which wouldn't have happened had they sent you a brand new, like for like replacement in the first place. They may offer you something as a goodwill jesture (highly unlikely....but stranger things have happened)

Oil Burner
Check the first line of your letter.

'Recently I finally made the decision to purchase *a* Macbook Pro.'

Its disappointing to hear of your experiences, i've only had good experiences with them. Hopefully their good customer service will shine through and you will be compensated for your time.