ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've crossed to the dark side! (MBP content)

Yep, I've finally done it - I bought a Mac.

It's been on the cards for a while, and with all the travelling I do I thought a nice MBP would be the perfect companion.

So I got the 15" MBP i7, and I got the following upgrades:

- High res anti glare screen. Kind of a no brainer as I would be doing a lot of photography work on it.

- SSD hard drive. BUT.....I didn't get the one from Apple as I read they're crap basically. So I got an OCZ Vertex 2E 160GB SSD instead.....much better ;)

_DSC1943.jpg

Here's a comparison between the performance of the 7200rpm HDD and the OCZ SSD:

hdd-vs-ssd-mbp.jpg

Pretty quick no! And that was just after install, it's got a bit faster since too.

This is the first time I've ever used a Mac, so it's a bit like learning to ride a bike again! Everything's new and different to my norm (PC).

I'm slowly getting the hang of it, the trackpad is a joy to use. Really like using that in photoshop.

BUT........

I'm calling Apple tomorrow to send it back.

Not for a refund, but a replament. The 'c' key barely works, I have to really press hard to type a 'c'. It's doing my tits in, as every 'c' in this post I've had to fill in as it misses it. Pretty annoying to say the least, espeially (I ant be assed to fill in the missing c's now!) especially given Apple's claims to the build quality.

Oh well....

I'll keep this updated with my hassle to get this one replaed, and my thoughts from a first time Ma user.

FUKKKINNGGG LETTER CCCCCCCCCCC!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH! :mad:

They are great. The C thing is a bit s**t though.

Upgrades from Apple like the HD are crazy unless you're made of money/scared of touching it. The latter is why I still have 4GB ram :eek:

Well I have an SSD in my desktop and it flies. So an SSD was an obvious choice in my case. Photoshop opens in like 2 seonds, safari opens instantly. Amazing speed.

Still getting used to it tbh! I even had to look up how to install things on Mac lol.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I had a look at SDDs last night. I quickly left the site I was looking at though, after seeing the price of them. I think I'll wait a bit for the prices to come down.

^ lol yeh Im slowly getting there ;)

SSDs should be oming down in prie soon. Intel are due to release their third gen SSDs whih are meant to have a better price/size ratio.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It took me a while to get used to how simple things are. No more spending 10 minutes trying to uninstall things. Drag programme into the trash can - Done.

Sounds like you got an awesome spec one!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
It took me a while to get used to how simple things are. No more spending 10 minutes trying to uninstall things. Drag programme into the trash can - Done.

Sounds like you got an awesome spec one!

not always! alot of programs will leave stuff that you need to remove...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I paid for that CleanMyMac application. Does it all for you. Seems pretty handy if you're a Mac noob like myself.

Well it would ost nothing to put one in there ;)

How muh do you want to spend? They start at around £100ish, but that will only be about 60-80GB

Very impressed with the speed!

Here's a quick vid opening various programs, some quite demanding ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I don't think that's much quicker than mine. It obviously is quicker but not the drastic difference I expected.

Quicker to load than mine. Then again, I just load my apps once and then keep them in memory (blue dotted). May as well use the RAM, and that way they open instantly anyway. Nice to have, but not worth the dollar for me.

Also, I'm sure you're happy with the screen, but IMO the satin screens suck. MBPs should have the full black glass panel from corner to corner :dapprove:

^ Have you been outside with yours? You cant see bugger all on the glossy screens. My sister has a 13" MBP with the glossy screen and it's like looking into a mirror lol!

Inferno 182 CUP
I upgraded mine to 8GB ram for £50 and it will eat most things now with ease. iTunes, safari and aperture and cs5 all at once with no complaints

I upgraded mine to 8GB ram for £50 and it will eat most things now with ease. iTunes, safari and aperture and cs5 all at once with no complaints

Thats what im thinking of doing. SSD would be great but too much money.

Where you get the RAM so cheap?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
^ Have you been outside with yours? You cant see bugger all on the glossy screens. My sister has a 13" MBP with the glossy screen and it's like looking into a mirror lol!

Doesn't matter, the satin screen will be just as unreadable in sunlight outside!

Using a laptop, outside and in the summer sounds like a brilliant idea....unfortunately within about 2 minutes you're back inside! (btw I have mac laptops with both types of screen)

Nice machine btw.

Granted in bright direct sunlight it will still be tricky, but in 'normal' conditions it will be better than gloss.

Just downloaded Half Life 2 yesterday, plays super smooth on high settings :)

Also, not long been off the phone to Apple, first off the serial number wasn't recognised. But they're arranging collection of my dodgy MBP and sending a shiny new one out too :) Fingers crossed this one works!!

Oil Burner
Gloss screens are easier to deal with sunlight/light behind you i find. You can angle the screen so it bounces off it, not straight into your eyes. Colours change slightly with viewing angle, but with a satin screen you just end up with a big yellow orb across the whole screen. Had both screens now, prefer the gloss. Each to their own though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They are great. The C thing is a bit s**t though.

Upgrades from Apple like the HD are crazy unless you're made of money/scared of touching it. The latter is why I still have 4GB ram :eek:

LOL. on the 27? It's only a flap on the underside of the housing. Easier than any other Mac!

Nice MBP! Great choice.

I got my replacement today! Horay!

But....I think it's quite obvious I've been sent a refurbished one, either that or Apple's quality control is s**t(er)!

Doesn't look like much on the photo, but there are some dents on the back of it :(

_DSC1950.jpg

I can't be assed with sending this one back too, the keyboard works and that's the main thing! Not overly impressed though considering how much I've spent on it. You wouldn't be happy if there was a dent in your brand new 458 for example!

On the slightly plus side (for once), this one does seem to boot up a tad quicker, no idea why though.

I might get one of those iCarbons skins to cover the dent, anyone done that on here?