ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is this normal on a 172???

Clio 172, Clio 200
I don't even mind having it back but I would prefere to get a refund just cause my faith in the car has been lost!

Mini Cooper S sport
I'd suggest another trip to CAB, I wouldn't know where you stand now they've done the work.

If was me, I still wouldn't want it because as you say, I'd have lost faith in the car.

Hopefully you can still get a refund.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Well "the" Trading Standards are going to call me between Monday-Wednesday and I think they will say "actually they do have the rights to repair the car". I am expecting that...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
If Trading Standard say you are legally allowed a refund, then personally I would want my money back despite the repairs. Like it's been said, plenty of 172s out there.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Thing is Trading Standards saying I can doesn't really enforce anything. I would have to go to court.

133T
Take it back, leave the keys with the garage. Write a letter to the finance company and the garage stating you have returned the car because of a/b/c/d. Cancel any direct debit which has been set up. Let them take you to court.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I've done all that, the car is with the garage, I sent a letter to the finance company saying I am repudiating the car....then I got a reply saying they have the right to repair the car, you can't just cancel your contract.

Mini Cooper S sport
Q
CONSUMER RIGHTS. How do I reject a duff car or get compensation for problems with a car I have bought from a dealer?
A
You have to invoke the Sale of Goods Act 1979 Part II Section 14, as modified by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, subsequently modified by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994, contending that the supplier is in breach of contract to you for supplying a car which was not "of satisfactory quality", or did not remain so for a reasonable period of time. Appeal Court Case law (Bernstein v/s Palmerston Motors 1987) has held that the supplier must be given three chances to rectify the fault for which the goods are rejected and must have failed to do so.

In your case it seems the dealer has put right all the problems you identified, so maybe you'll have to keep it. Make sure you get clear advice on this.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Q
CONSUMER RIGHTS. How do I reject a duff car or get compensation for problems with a car I have bought from a dealer?
A
You have to invoke the Sale of Goods Act 1979 Part II Section 14, as modified by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, subsequently modified by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994, contending that the supplier is in breach of contract to you for supplying a car which was not "of satisfactory quality", or did not remain so for a reasonable period of time. Appeal Court Case law (Bernstein v/s Palmerston Motors 1987) has held that the supplier must be given three chances to rectify the fault for which the goods are rejected and must have failed to do so.

In your case it seems the dealer has put right all the problems you identified, so maybe you'll have to keep it. Make sure you get clear advice on this.

That's really helpful. It does seem like I will have to keep it. But at least the problem with the engine wasn't major, and the clocks problem has been rectified. I really want a 172 so I don't see much reason to be complaining now!

Mini Cooper S sport
Well it's your call. I still think you might have a get-out on the clocks issue. You were not made aware that you were buying a car which didn't have its original clocks, and have they explained why they were changed? I would still not be happy with the car if it were me, but it's up to you whether you want to carry on with this or just keep it.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Yeah. I don't know why they were changed but if it was done by a garage and signed for it must be genuine, right?

Mini Cooper S sport
Yeah. I don't know why they were changed but if it was done by a garage and signed for it must be genuine, right?

But what I'm saying is, you weren't made aware of this when you bought the car, which may have affected your decision to buy it.

It may well be genuine, but you still don't even know why it was done.

Clio 182 cup'd
The clocks issue is more than a "fault" that has been rectified. I still think you have grounds to reject the car as you were never informed of the clock change at the point of purchase.

Clio 172, Clio 200
It's a good point, but in their case they will just say it was done legally and why would they tell me it had been changed. I don't know, I really want to give it back I just can't see it now :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You can't give it back now.

You gave them the oppurtunity to repair the car. You should have demanded a refund within the first 48 hours. Too late now.

Just use this as a lesson and enjoy your new car mate.

Clio 172, Clio 200

You gave them the oppurtunity to repair the car. You should have demanded a refund within the first 48 hours. Too late now.

I told them from the very start within 24 hours I don't want a repair, I want a refund. Put it all in writing but they repaired the car anyway. I told them not to repair it and they said we have to repair it even if I don't have it back. Not once did I accept the refund

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I told them from the very start within 24 hours I don't want a repair, I want a refund. Put it all in writing but they repaired the car anyway. I told them not to repair it and they said we have to repair it even if I don't have it back. Not once did I accept the refund

But you've got the car now yes?

Mini Cooper S sport

According to the info I found on Google, he HAS to give them three chances to repair the fault.

I would think the fact that they didn't tell him about the clocks might still be grounds to reject it? I might be wrong, I really don't know.

Clio 172, Clio 200
your all very helpful I must say lol I will see what Trading Standards have to say but I'm happy with the car if I have to keep it. I will have 12 months warranty to go back with any problems..

Clio 172, Clio 200
So I have the car back now. Engine sounds fine, somehow the wheel bouncing has stopped, awesome. The CD Player WAS fixed however after driving for just over an hour it as come back with the clicking when switched on or off. I'm going to take it to my local Renault garage and have that repaired under the warranty.

Nissan 350z
So I have the car back now. Engine sounds fine, somehow the wheel bouncing has stopped, awesome. The CD Player WAS fixed however after driving for just over an hour it as come back with the clicking when switched on or off. I'm going to take it to my local Renault garage and have that repaired under the warranty.

My CD Headunit does the same so i solved it by buying the optional extra CD Multichanger from Ebay and using that to play CDs instead of the headunit. Fixed! :cool:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
According to the info I found on Google, he HAS to give them three chances to repair the fault.

Not if the car is in ''un-useable condition'' within 48 hours of collecting it.

At least thats what Consumer direct told me when I was refusing to fix a customers car. What a prick he was.

Clio 172, Clio 200
lol - I have the CD multichanger but it makes the noise regardless of a cd being inside or not lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You can buy a secondhand unit off ebay or even here for about £40 mate.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Ahh right ok cool :) I will keep an eye out now I'm registered. Daniel, are you club staff?

clio sport f1 r27

On a 52 plate?

200 Gordini
Through this whole thread you have sounded like you work for the dealer you bought it off by making excuses etc for them. You should of took the car back to them the minute you noticed the faults instead of *****ing around emailng and asking the same questions. Many people told you what
to do but you went about everything the wrong way.

I'm very glad the car is now fixed but you'll always be worrying and waiting for the next fault to arrive which is a shame.

Try and get yourself on some b roads and forget the past.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Through this whole thread you have sounded like you work for the dealer you bought it off by making excuses etc for them. You should of took the car back to them the minute you noticed the faults instead of *****ing around emailng and asking the same questions. Many people told you what
to do but you went about everything the wrong way.

I'm very glad the car is now fixed but you'll always be worrying and waiting for the next fault to arrive which is a shame.

Try and get yourself on some b roads and forget the past.

well said

Clio 172, Clio 200
found out the cigarette light doesn't work today so I can't charge my phone with it, the clutch makes a wierd noise when I have it down (changing gear), and the CD Player noise has come back...I'm fed up now.

It's A Reno
found out the cigarette light doesn't work today so I can't charge my phone with it, the clutch makes a wierd noise when I have it down (changing gear), and the CD Player noise has come back...I'm fed up now.

Don't feel bad about the cd player they all do it. Mine does it for about 10 seconds whenever I turn it on.

The clutch sounds like the thrust bearing and they can sound angry for years and not fail.
The fag lighter will be a loose connection or a fuse.

Clio 172, Clio 200
lol what's the oh wait...for?

Oh cause of the recalls...hmmm

But Honda would be my choice :)

Shame, it's my 4th Clio...never had a problem with the others! Technically 5th if you include my gf's clio that I also drive!