ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon they may increase screen size? I mean my mate had a Motorola Defy which packs a bigger screen in a smaller body (all be it a suspect build quality body!).

Hope they dont go back to a curved back.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Reckon they may increase screen size? I mean my mate had a Motorola Defy which packs a bigger screen in a smaller body (all be it a suspect build quality body!).

Hope they dont go back to a curved back.

It may be slightly bigger (0.2"), but it's also lower resolution than the iPhone 4. They can't increase the screen resolution, because they purposefully doubled the resolution in X & Y on the 4 so that it remained compatible with apps without having to do nasty scaling. Increasing the physical size without changing the resolution makes the pixels bigger, defeating the point of the retina display, so I'd say unlikely.

The flat back is a winner, the 4 feels so much better than the previous generations.

Still love the look/feel of the 4, makes the 3 feel like a fisher price offering when going back to one. I suspect I'll be swayed to changing to a 4s/5 (whichever this years is tagged as) at launch for simple financial reasons. I kept my 3 for 2 years and still sold it for £200 I don't expect the residual of the 4 due to the bad press over the antenna to be as good over the same period. Hence I'll jump while it's still worth something despite being perfectly happy with my 4 at the moment.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It may be slightly bigger (0.2"), but it's also lower resolution than the iPhone 4. They can't increase the screen resolution, because they purposefully doubled the resolution in X & Y on the 4 so that it remained compatible with apps without having to do nasty scaling. Increasing the physical size without changing the resolution makes the pixels bigger, defeating the point of the retina display, so I'd say unlikely.

The flat back is a winner, the 4 feels so much better than the previous generations.

i love my 4. its one of the comfiest larger phones to hold. and its extremely well designed. its just a shame that putting a bumper round it ruins the feel imho. i know your signal bars still drop when holding the corner but does it actually affect the signal like it used to? i cant get it to loose signal completely just drop to 1 bar, and it still makes phone calls crystal clear when you do

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
i love my 4. its one of the comfiest larger phones to hold. and its extremely well designed. its just a shame that putting a bumper round it ruins the feel imho. i know your signal bars still drop when holding the corner but does it actually affect the signal like it used to? i cant get it to loose signal completely just drop to 1 bar, and it still makes phone calls crystal clear when you do

The "strength" meter is not a good metric for measuring call quality, all the manufacturers could do everybody a favour and stop showing them, you're either connected to the network or you're not.

They're just a hang up from the analogue days...people have just come to expect to see them on a phone.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

The "strength" meter is not a good metric for measuring call quality, all the manufacturers could do everybody a favour and stop showing them, you're either connected to the network or you're not.

They're just a hang up from the analogue days...people have just come to expect to see them on a phone.

dk

911 GTS Cab

It's not there to measure call quality I agree, it's there to measure signal strength though, which is very relevant. If I have 1 bar I move to somewhere where I get 2or3 so that I have a better chance of not losing the other person half way through the call.

It's needed, hence why it's still on every phone!

What a ridiculous statement

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It's not there to measure call quality I agree, it's there to measure signal strength though, which is very relevant. If I have 1 bar I move to somewhere where I get 2or3 so that I have a better chance of not losing the other person half way through the call.

This is why I'm an engineer and you're not.

I suggest you go away and read up on what the bars mean and why you can infer nothing from them.

You can quite happily have a full functioning call on 1 or 0 bars and a really shitty call on 5 bars.

Bus w**ker
1) If it was an inside source where on earth do you think it came from? If it wasnt from apple it wouldnt be an inside source now would it?
2) I thought this was an internet forum, not my secondary school english essay. why the f**k should i spend my time making sure my grammar is perfect?

3) What i meant was no home button. i would imagine there will still be a lock button.
  1. You didn't state where the source was from, which is why I questioned your laughable claim. So now that you've stated your "friend" works for Apple you can explain where? A shop? Call centre? Cupertino? Maybe he is Steve Jobs and you're chatting to him whilst he's off on sick leave? Basically, to sum it up for you, you're chatting s**t and you're "friend" doesn't know jack.
  2. Why should anyone bother reading the s**te you're poorly typing on a forum when you're obviously too f**king lazy and retarded to use a capital letter. At most it's two key strokes, not exactly rocket science or time consuming. Maybe your inside source "friend" could show you how it's done next time he's telling you trade secrets for one of the largest grossing brands to ever be created?
  3. See point 2, if you could be bothered to structure your sentences correctly people will be able to understand the drivel you type.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo

Sn00p is correct, you are wrong.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
If a call is 'better quality' or you can send texts 'faster' you have just connected to a different type, GPRS, EDGE or 3G.

AK

M240i
I am surprised about sym0n lol! He was a BB fanboi when I had a BB, the man in the know.

Now he's an Apple boi, lol.

Honda. Tesla Someday
I just bought a new dell laptop charger for £6.99 posted off ebay and a new battery is only £8.99 off ebay to.

She got ripped off paying £100.

I love my iPhone 4, was the first in to Appple to get it after queuing all night! T'was amazing, £600 smackers for the 32GB! Woop!

Anyways, just wanted to ask where you got the Dell charger and Battery? Which seller on eBay, I have trust issues with eBay at the moment so would be good to know which seller was reliable for you!

Cheers.

p.s: I'm kinda hoping they don't release an iPhone 4S/5, I can't be asked to change phones again! I had the 3G, 3GS and have the 4!

Bus w**ker
I am surprised about sym0n lol! He was a BB fanboi when I had a BB, the man in the know.

Now he's an Apple boi, lol.
I'm fickle mate LOL ;) I've always been on the PS3 bandwagon since release day...but may have just recently bought a 360 :eek:.

My contract is up in June, so I want to rejoin the bandwagon and get the new iPhone when it's out. I used to have a 3G but for some stupid reason, sold it!! :eek:

iPhone certainly > BB

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm fickle mate LOL ;) I've always been on the PS3 bandwagon since release day...but may have just recently bought a 360 :eek:.

You'll soo realise that the PS3's sh*te too, then!

Mine's still in it's box since I moved in six months ago.

Skoda Fabia vRS
i think the iphone 5 needs a bigger screen, people use the internet and other media on there phone a lot more now and the bigger screens are a lot better

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i think the iphone 5 needs a bigger screen, people use the internet and other media on there phone a lot more now and the bigger screens are a lot better

Won't happen. Not massively larger anyway.

Any larger than 0.2 increase in size would drop the ppi below 300.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It'll still be called a Retina Display, regardless of true ppi. Apple coined the term and it has nothing to do with the actual ppi of the display, just that it's high res. I reckon it's not the last you'll hear it, either. Retina MacBooks, Retina iPad 2 etc.

240ppi on an iPad will still be marketed as a Retina Display, IMO.

Honda. Tesla Someday
It'll still be called a Retina Display, regardless of true ppi. Apple coined the term and it has nothing to do with the actual ppi of the display, just that it's high res. I reckon it's not the last you'll hear it, either. Retina MacBooks, Retina iPad 2 etc.

240ppi on an iPad will still be marketed as a Retina Display, IMO.

I disagree.

In my opinion its called the Retina Display because you literally can't see the pixels.

Therefor, if the ppi isnt what it should be, it wouldnt be a Retina Display anymore.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
There is no magical 300 ppi limit as you claim. Retina display is a completely made up marketing term. It has no clear definition, and will be used by Apple to market any device they release in the future that they feel has a high enough resolution.

Apple is about to release an iPad 2 with a resolution of 2048 x 1536 which calculates to a ppi of 260, and they have every intention of marketing the device as having a Retina display.

If a display with a ppi of 260 can be considered Retina just because the device has a larger screen, why can't a device with a ppi of 285 be called Retina since the device will likewise have a larger screen?
The iPad won't be the last time you see the term either. I fully expect to see Macbook Pros, iMacs, and Cinema Displays with substantially higher resolutions in the future, and these devices will also likewise be marketed with a term Retina display, even though most of them will not have a ppi above 300 either, despite the substantial upgrade in resolution.

The vast majority of laptops, monitors, hdtvs have a dpi of around a 130 or so. If the screen looks sufficiently high res and the pixels sufficiently difficult to see, it doesn't actually matter the precise ppi number.

Retina display is a completely made up marketing term. It has no clear definition, and it can be used to mean whatever Apple wants it to mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.