ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Honda. Tesla Someday
There is no magical 300 ppi limit as you claim. Retina display is a completely made up marketing term. It has no clear definition, and will be used by Apple to market any device they release in the future that they feel has a high enough resolution.

Apple is about to release an iPad 2 with a resolution of 2048 x 1536 which calculates to a ppi of 260, and they have every intention of marketing the device as having a Retina display.

If a display with a ppi of 260 can be considered Retina just because the device has a larger screen, why can't a device with a ppi of 285 be called Retina since the device will likewise have a larger screen?
The iPad won't be the last time you see the term either. I fully expect to see Macbook Pros, iMacs, and Cinema Displays with substantially higher resolutions in the future, and these devices will also likewise be marketed with a term Retina display, even though most of them will not have a ppi above 300 either, despite the substantial upgrade in resolution.

The vast majority of laptops, monitors, hdtvs have a dpi of around a 130 or so. If the screen looks sufficiently high res and the pixels sufficiently difficult to see, it doesn't actually matter the precise ppi number.

Retina display is a completely made up marketing term. It has no clear definition, and it can be used to mean whatever Apple wants it to mean.

Fair point. The way I saw it was that 'Retina' display meant 'can't see the pixels'. But if what you are saying is true (I guess it is), then fair enough. :)

2014 Focus Titanium
Doesn't the 4 have 275dpi, not 300?

The new iPhone definitely needs a bigger screen, after using my Mrs' Galaxy S and my mates HD7 which both have much bigger screens at around 200dpi and they are very clear. Going back to mine having used those, feels like the screen size is the same as a Nokia 3310!

I would MUCH rather sacrifice 75dpi and have a bigger screen. After all, the 3GS had dpi of 60 less than both the HD7 and Galaxy S!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
iPhone 4 is 326ppi.

I reckon it'll get a 0.2" increase to 4". It'll still stay above 300ppi that way.

Focus, GSXR1000 & R6
Anyone have more new's on the 5 release date? My contract is due soon and im thinkin of waiting!

Monaro VXR
Retina display and if you can see the pixels or not depends on a few factors. The iPhone is a small screen and a small device, you tend to hold it closer to yourself than you would a laptop / iPad.

The further away you are from the device the lower the PPI can be while giving a clear display.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That's why there's an industry standard that everything measured at.

The 27" iMac display for instance, is only 109ppi.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There are no better responses than Tom's.

He's sometimes just a little too cryptic for me and my tiny brain. :eek:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
boris-johnson.jpg

a little birdy told me that there will be no button on the ipad 2 and it will be unlocked etc using gestures.

No. That's wrong.

And what happens if you don't have 4 or 5 fingers?

There will always be a home button.

i heard from an inside source otherwise. hense my saying so.

Who are you to say who I do and do not know?

It's what I've been told by a good friend. Not some douche in the pub

bumpasaurus.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
So yeh, to save me reading this whole thread. When is the iPisch5 expected? I need to forewarm Dan and Chris.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I have a cunning plan. I took a new contract out with my iPhone for last July, so I'd normally need to skip the 5 and wait for the 2012 hardware.

But the missus' iPhone 3GS contact come to an end in June. Handy. Slip 'er £100 and she said she'd swap as long as my iPhone stays mint until then.

Better than the £250+ it'd cost me to upgrade usually.

I have a cunning plan. I took a new contract out with my iPhone for last July, so I'd normally need to skip the 5 and wait for the 2012 hardware.

But the missus' iPhone 3GS contact come to an end in June. Handy. Slip 'er £100 and she said she'd swap as long as my iPhone stays mint until then.

ORLY? With ideas like that, we must be twins. Except for the fact that my misses is getting my old 4 and I get a nice new 5 when my contract is up in June. And I have to pay the upgrade fee. So really we're not twins. Bennnnnnnnnnnnnn???

Just to confirm.... Are you saying Apple have confirmed the 5th as a release date?

He said "announced". I'm guessing that's the date of the next Apple "this is where are company is going" conference where they usually show case the new phone and give a release date.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Thing is i'm about as technologically advanced as a caveman! So having an iPhone 4 when everyone's got a 5 wouldn't make my johnson twitch!!....

I just need a new phone!

He said "announced". I'm guessing that's the date of the next Apple "this is where are company is going" conference where they usually show case the new phone and give a release date.

FLOL.

You even quoted what he said, twice.

Baffled! Lol. Announced and released are two different words, Euge!

5th - 'Hi. Today we have an awesome new product for you. But first here's some boring stats and pictures of shops'

Then he'll show you the iPhone 5. 'It's going to be available really fast. June <day>'.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Baffled! Lol. Announced and released are two different words, Euge!

5th - 'Hi. Today we have an awesome new product for you. But first here's some boring stats and pictures of shops'

Then he'll show you the iPhone 5. 'It's going to be available really fast. June <day>'.

Too true!!

However, I will still be sat here cheering at every stat like a mindless fanboy cheerleader! LOL

1998 BMW e46 323i
I will not be upgrading. I've bought both an iPhone 4 and a MBP in the last few months. It ends here. I'm broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.