ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad.

Lou

Going to pick my one up today :)

Is mi-fi any good for connection? I travel alot with work and currently use a vodafone USB dongle for connection on my MacBook.

SLK 350
Does anybody elses ipads keep losing wifi connection?
When I'm surfing, it willcrandomly lose it's connection and I'll have to govinto settings to sort it out.

Before categorically stating your iPad is broken (very unlikely) I'd suggest that you try changing your WIFI channel (use NetStumbler/ViStumbler to see what channels are free, Google "channel overlap" before selecting a new one), it's also worth turning off your WIFI password before taking it back into Apple. I'd go for channel inteference as being the problem, but it may also be your password, try changing to WPA2 AES, and make sure Mixed mode isn't enabled for the password.

*If none of that makes any sense, take it to Apple :p

Before categorically stating your iPad is broken (very unlikely) I'd suggest that you try changing your WIFI channel (use NetStumbler/ViStumbler to see what channels are free, Google "channel overlap" before selecting a new one), it's also worth turning off your WIFI password before taking it back into Apple. I'd go for channel inteference as being the problem, but it may also be your password, try changing to WPA2 AES, and make sure Mixed mode isn't enabled for the password.

*If none of that makes any sense, take it to Apple :p
Porblem was solved last week matey... Took it back to Apple. It was a software fault. They reset and updated to the newest version which sorted the problem out.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
My power button is a bit iffy. You need to rock it to turn it on, but turning it off is fine. Weird. I'll do something about it when I can be arsed.

SchwepTek™
I bought a 32gb wifi only iPad 2 weeks ago and thought it would fit in between my iPhone 4 and MBP.

It doesnt, i havent touched it.

Think it needs to go...LOL.

Good story. :)

Ibiza FR
I've had a quick look through the thread but can't see this question asked recently.
I'm looking to get the other half one of these for Christmas, but after researching online it seems in the first few months off '11 there will be an update. The only thing I am bothered about is the retina display as its just incredible ;)
It seems there are a few people in the know on here so should I go ahead and get one for christmas or convince the mrs to wait a few months?

Depends how much she wants one. Retina is unlikely at that size purely due to the cost of it.

There will probably be an update around March/April. But I doubt much of it will change and there's actually no guarantee that anything is going to change/be updated anyway. Just speculation based on Apples usual ways.

Ibiza FR
Well what are the possible other updates really - Screen size? camera on rear/front for facetime? Niether of them interest me or her to be honest, so unless I have missed anything major that may be changed then I will suprise her on the day :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Needs more ram IMO, no idea why it has half the ram as the iphone4 yet the same processor. It struggles with web browsing slightly I find, multiple tabs and browsing facebook albums, safari can close sometimes after viewing 30-40 photos which I assume is because it runs out of ram.

Got no need for cameras personally, and it has a high enough screen as it is, doesn't need to be any higher so wouldn't seethe point in retina.

2.2 bar shed.
Will defo get a forward facing camera, the 4/new touch has one so if apple are going to keep promoting Facetime as an alternative (ish) to Skype then theyre defo going to have to include it.

A higher detail screen would be nice for 1080p?

Go cry to your momma!
1080p couldn't be appreciated on such a small screen, DVD quality is more than enough..

SchwepTek™
It will defo have facetime and a camera on the front no question. But as for higher res scree, dont see the point.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sorry to ask this in an Apple orientated tablet thread but I really think devices like this are the future for general everyday "users" of the cloud based internet. Not meaning to start a Vs battle but rather seeking a genuine response to a question so, how do you think the iPad is going to fare against the new generation of devices, specifically the RIM Playbook now its spec is public: dual core 1Ghz CPU, 1Gb ram, 1080p screen, front and rear cameras, Flash 10, HTML5, h.264 and not to mention it having USB, HDMI & DLNA?

2.2 bar shed.
1080p couldn't be appreciated on such a small screen, DVD quality is more than enough..

Compare the quality of the old iPhone screens then the new one on the 4. 'Enough' is great, until you see what MOAR looks like...

Sorry to ask this in an Apple orientated tablet thread but I really think devices like this are the future for general everyday "users" of the cloud based internet. Not meaning to start a Vs battle but rather seeking a genuine response to a question so, how do you think the iPad is going to fare against the new generation of devices, specifically the RIM Playbook now its spec is public: dual core 1Ghz CPU, 1Gb ram, 1080p screen, front and rear cameras, Flash 10, HTML5, h.264 and not to mention it having USB, HDMI & DLNA?

IMO, the ipad will out sell them all. Spec isn't 'that' important to most people. The fact that it's Apple and so slick and easy to use means it will be the best seller for me.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Cheers Justin - Again, being objective here rather than trying to start a battle; You say spec isn't that important to "most" people however, after reading this thread alone there are multiple complaints by owners stating Safari slows whilst browsing or reboots after viewing large photo galleries due to it ramming out? Surely this is a fundemental feature of devices like this and an area where they cannot afford to be just "okay"? Surely a better spec or even expandability will attract the attention of the true power users of these devices rather than those who just have to have it because it's an Apple.

Admitedly I am a RIM fanboy so the Playbook has an instant advantage in my house over the Apple or Samsung products but never say never hence me asking questions from actual users rather than those that have the iPad just because you can Facebook on a larger screen whilst on the crapper. I'm looking at these devices seriously at present as I have a Windows based Tablet PC that does everything my business needs. Unfortunatly its getting a little long in the tooth now and i'm looking to embrace the future so either the iPad 2 or Playbook is the most likely sucessor. I just want to be sure I buy the right one with actual document authoring, email, web and multi-tasking ability with a good battery life before spunking out the best part £700... Angry Birds in HD is not exactly high on my priority list.

Mick

The iPad isn't badly specced and the Playbook doesn't have the support (read App Store) which is what makes the iPad so attractive. The Playbook is also the same price but with a smaller screen. The iPad is actually very good value when compared to its so called competitors.

Is the Playbook even out yet? Bit unfair to compare it's spec to an iPad when it was announced nearly a year ago. Things move very quickly. Comparing to the 2nd gen will be fairer.

I think it depends what your actual needs are. Most people won't have specific business programs that they want to add for whatever needs and are quite happy to have something that's quick and easy to use when sat on the sofa.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I think you'd like it mate!

Much better than a dodgy PC laptop, or even my MBP for browsing.

They're perfect for people who aren't really into computers, who just want a browsing tool.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
@ Revels - True, but you misunderstand me as I wasn't attempting to make a direct comparison. The PB isn't out until sometime around Feb '11 in the UK but the spec has been confirmed and as it's all i've got to go on at the minute hence me asking what actual iPad users think their device rather than making a direct comparison based on spec alone. Truthfully, the only thing that RIM haven't confirmed yet is the GFX chipset that's going to run the HD and i'm waiting eagerly to see who they go with as the iPad has a cracking chipset. I also agree, the Apple App Store is well ahead of everyone else but that doens't mean it makes the iPad better for a business user does it? The RIM device comes with an Office editing suite, Skype, Browser and email without the need for any "Apps".

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I think you'd like it mate!

Much better than a dodgy PC laptop, or even my MBP for browsing.

They're perfect for people who aren't really into computers, who just want a browsing tool.

it is cool!! - As is all apple stuff...Hummmm!

Lol. You're changing, Ali. I'm still shocked you have an iPhone (that you can't work ;))

I know, i even asked when my contract was due for renewal y'day! Lol, i just love the Scrabble App! - What an exciting life i lead!....

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Surely the addition of a Retina would put it in a price bracket that's out of this world though?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
@ Revels - True, but you misunderstand me as I wasn't attempting to make a direct comparison. The PB isn't out until sometime around Feb '11 in the UK but the spec has been confirmed and as it's all i've got to go on at the minute hence me asking what actual iPad users think their device rather than making a direct comparison based on spec alone. Truthfully, the only thing that RIM haven't confirmed yet is the GFX chipset that's going to run the HD and i'm waiting eagerly to see who they go with as the iPad has a cracking chipset. I also agree, the Apple App Store is well ahead of everyone else but that doens't mean it makes the iPad better for a business user does it? The RIM device comes with an Office editing suite, Skype, Browser and email without the need for any "Apps".

Oh.

The issue with RAM will be solved when the 2nd iPad is released so thats not a problem its going to have by the time the PlayBook is released. The issue with these 7 inch tablets is the screen size (btw the PlayBook has a 1024x600 screen not 1080p (it can playback 1080p content)).

In regards to other things that the PlayBook has:

microHDMI port - You still need an adapter to convert to HDMI. All the iPad needs is for Apple to produce a HDMI adapter like the VGA adapter etc
USB - Adapter already out that will connect to a camera. The only other thing I would want a USB slot for is to copy things over from a memory stick to the iPad. Can't see this happening.
Cameras - Again an update for the iPad 2 will be at least front-facing camera. The rear facing camera is an interesting one as I have never had a situation where having a camera on it would be any use.
DLNA - Maybe Apple will allow it? Probably not, time to buy an Apple TV for that one unfortunately.
Flash - There are a couple of ways around this. A new browser was released that allowed you to view flash videos or you could jailbreak. I have had a few instances where not having flash has been a hindrance but these have been on flash sites that are fairly advanced so I would doubt any tablet would be able to run it in a way that I would want to view it.

Of all the 7" tablets coming out the PlayBook would be the one I would go for as its OS is specifically designed to be on a tablet unlike Android and Windows 7. Its the screen size that really is the issue. 7 inch for a tablet is just too small to be browsing the web comfortably at home. The other thing you have to remember is that App Store is a much more attractive option for developers so for important new apps (not games) then they will probably arrive at the App Store before everything else. As for document authoring obviously the Apps are already there and work really well. One thing the bigger screen allows is the almost full size keyboard in landscape mode, much easier for typing away on + you have the option to Bluetooth or dock into a keyboard if needed.

Im looking forward to having a go on the PlayBook as it seems extreme slick and a well designed OS and importantly it also looks the part which is where Android tablets fail badly. To sound extremely cliche and Appletastic it really does change the way you access the internet and emails. (thats coming from someone who uses a BlackBerry and a Windows Phone 7 mobile because I find the iPhone boring)

Edit: Also "Retina" display ain't gonna happen on an iPad for a while. The res would be mental.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The App Store is the backbone of the iPad though. And iOS for that matter.

That's where the competition really lag behind. I've used them, they're awful.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Add you to what?! Adult friend finder? Rest assured my misses will be setting up my phone, music, settings, heating while she's at it!

LOL.

Game Centre (I refuse to use the American spelling)

Add me as well... Manmoths

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Plenty of apps that add levels of DLNA support.

The playbook will fail because it has no ecosystem.