ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad.

Mondeo STTDCI
I just wanted a thread about the iPad really.

I have a few thoughts for discussion really.

From what I see so far - its essentially just a big iPhone? What can it do really that an iPhone cant? I know its bigger and looks nice, will be faster etc. But really, is there anything it can do that an iPhone can't?

Do you think devices like this are going to replace Laptops for the basic home user? Essentially all I really do is store lots of photos, digital camera stuff, browse, iTunes and email and online shopping. So theroretically for very basic home users will the iPad replace?

I also do odd bit of Powerpoint stuff and Word processing. Will ipad be capable? Or am I misundestanding its intended niche?

Can it be a standalone device? Or like the iPhone will I rely on another device to update, back it up? restore? etc

3G? Will I have to pay monthly? Roughly how much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I just wanted a thread about the iPad really.

I have a few thoughts for discussion really.

From what I see so far - its essentially just a big iPhone? What can it do really that an iPhone cant? I know its bigger and looks nice, will be faster etc. But really, is there anything it can do that an iPhone can't?

This is a bit of an unknown right now but the form factor alone suggests it will, its not simply a big iPhone.

Do you think devices like this are going to replace Laptops for the basic home user? Essentially all I really do is store lots of photos, digital camera stuff, browse, iTunes and email and online shopping. So theroretically for very basic home users will the iPad replace?

No, they will compliment those devices, you still need a mac/pc to get the best out of an iPad

I also do odd bit of Powerpoint stuff and Word processing. Will ipad be capable? Or am I misundestanding its intended niche?

No, it will be (Using pages, numbers and Keynote and eventually third party apps.

Can it be a standalone device? Or like the iPhone will I rely on another device to update, back it up? restore? etc

3G? Will I have to pay monthly? Roughly how much?

Yes, its optional at a cost, Yes, Not sure i reckon £15-20pm

Nice post.

Mondeo STTDCI
So with the majority of those questions answered, is it really worth it? I'm sure it will be immensely popular, but it goes well above whats needed I think? I think it falls in the "nice to have" category. But I dont NEED one. Which means I'll lust over it for months then not bother with it due to price. An outlay of £400 of whatever PLUS a monthly subscription for 3G...then subscriptions to newspapers etc...

Seems expensive and unnecessary really to me. But a really nice device none the less.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You dont have to have the 3g in fact the entry level device is sans 3G

Citroen DS3 DSport
I wouldn't buy the 3G version as I would never have the need to use this outside of my house or another wifi location.

Mountune Tractor
So with the majority of those questions answered, is it really worth it? I'm sure it will be immensely popular, but it goes well above whats needed I think? I think it falls in the "nice to have" category. But I dont NEED one. Which means I'll lust over it for months then not bother with it due to price. An outlay of £400 of whatever PLUS a monthly subscription for 3G...then subscriptions to newspapers etc...

Seems expensive and unnecessary really to me. But a really nice device none the less.

Personally, in it's current format it doesn't do enough to warrant the asking price imo, purely from what I've read from tech specs and reviews. But as with all things apple they get better and better. Potentially the iPad could become HUGE, but at the moment I don't need or want one really.

Mondeo STTDCI
Okay so there is a wireless only version which would, make up for it, but then you lose portability. I can see this being nice on journeys etc. But then Wifi locations are growing so much its unlikely you would be without Wifi in the future at numerous many many locations.

Just been reading the above link and it has some excellent comments and discussion. I cant believe it cant multitask!!! One app at a time. AND I cant believe still no Flash.

Will I be able to link a digital camera directly to the pad and sod about with my photos on there. That would be nice, I've always felt my laptop/kodak software setup lacks in that department severely.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Multitasking is irrelevant on a device like this and Flash is a power hog. (Even youtube which is BUILT around it is rejecting it - but its a slow process)

It can link to a camera, but thats $29 (SD and USB adaptors)

Mondeo STTDCI
Multitasking is irrelevant on a device like this and Flash is a power hog.

It can link to a camera, but thats $29 (SD and USB adaptors)

Not slick then really at all.

Would be nice to have slots surely?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Flash is dead for video, html 5 with h.264 is the replacement.

Flash apps are irrelevant because you can just write native iPhone ones.

And flash websites, well, urgh.

Adobe are just moaning because (slowly) their macromedia purchase is going down the toilet.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
won't have flash i rekon, they just couldn't make it look s**t in a promotional video could they...

Mondeo STTDCI
I'm not convinced there is an appropriate niche for the product at the end of the day. And for me to want it enough to buy it, it would need to do more.

I think for the 'tech savy' it not going to be such a hit, but those netbook things have sold by the bucket load because it's what people want.

Something to surf with in front of the tv. The iPad is an awesome version of that. If I didn't have my MBP I would be ordering one without a doubt. I still might.

Mondeo STTDCI
I have to admit it IS an awesome version of that, but I would pay £200 for the privilege, not £3/4/500.

Yeh, true. £200 is more at the 'f**k it, why not' price, where as £400 take a little more thought.

But people say that about MacBooks and look how well they sell.. People will pay more for quality.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Most of my friends would have bought this immediately had it offered a OS X type experience but on seeing what is essentially a large iPod Touch they will not bother buying it.

The more I see of these on youtube etc. the more I'm starting to like the idea of having one. However, I don't actually need one. I'll probably just keep my eye in, and perhaps go for the next generation, should there be one.

Or I might just buy one.

Citroen DS3 DSport
From Macrumors

Steve Jobs held a town hall meeting with Apple employees late last week following the iPad launch. Wired reports on what was said at the meeting by Steve Jobs. Two of the biggest topics included Google and Adobe.

On Google, Jobs confirms the much-reported competition between the two companies.

On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won't let them, he says.

As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.
Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it's because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

Those are the main points covered by Wired's article. We had received a more detailed report of the Apple meeting, but hadn't been able to corroborate it until now. Many of the details of the Wired report line up with our anonymous submission, so we believe it likely to be accurate. Some additional key points that we learned:

- Apple will deliver aggressive updates to iPhone that Android/Google won't be able to keep up with
- iPad is up there with the iPhone and Mac as the most important products Jobs has been a part of
- Regarding the Lala acquisition, Apple was interested in bringing those people into the iTunes team
- Next iPhone coming is an A+ update
- New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level
- Blu-Ray software is a mess, and Apple will wait until sales really start to take off before implementing it.

DCi
Would be nice, but adding extra I/O devices needs power.
just because you have something on a computer doesn't mean it has to be switched on.

if this device could stand seperate from a laptop i'd be more interested.

We will never know til near the time but if it could get football manager on it, i'd get rid of my laptop and upgrade my desktop for work (virtual PC's etc, because im sure it wont have that ha)

but as revels said, i'd say im more tech savvy and this (also netbooks) dont really appeal

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i dontknow , i just dont know. i can think of one use for it, but i'm not convinced its worth the price atm. might wait till theyre out

I've thought about this some more, and discussed it with a few people over the weekend, including a 69 year old man. These have the potential to become part of living room culture. As accepted as a TV, or magazines on the coffee table. Instant, comfortable, tangible access to the internet. Apps and games. Perhaps multiplayer games, where the tablet is passed around player to player.

That's my feeling anyway. I'm not rushing into buying one though. Probably.

SLK250 CDI
Lack of Flash is a major fail IMO, will be crap for web browsing. Would have considered one as a replacement for my Dell Mini 9 for mobile use, but its just not worth the expense considering it doesn't do as much.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
dont really buy that, i mean, it's a new current piece of technology, why wouldnt it support it, bugs? bullshit. they're a desire for it, html5 isn't ready and the number of sites which use it are vast. the whole issue is totally stupid and unnecessary.

lets face it, this tablet will be the first of many, i'll hang on until an android implementation with flash i reckon, there is bound to be one, prob cheaper too