ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad.

Bumder With A Buffer
Just seems like a larger Iphone!

Until they come out though and I play with one I cant say anymore though.

Just seems like a larger Iphone!

domjoly1431416c.jpg

:lolup:

If your a Mac fan boy, it doesn't need flash apparently or usb or whatever. I'd need a lot of money burning a big hole in my pocket to buy a device that would need syncing to my main pc to work properly and be tied up with having to buy apple everything that isn't my iphone, think i'll pass ;)

& who would want to watch a moving in their lap, people will be buying stands so they can lie in bed and watch films.... thats what a key board is for... ;)

Rant over, awaits grilling..

SLK250 CDI
Flash will die. This is just another nail in the coffin.

The iPhone hasn't killed flash, I don't think that the iPad will make much difference either. I agree flash is crap, but without support for it, you can't view half of the pages on the internet.

I know, I use frigging 64-bit internet explorer and there's no crapping flash support for it.

Fiat Panda 100hp
The iPhone hasn't killed flash, I don't think that the iPad will make much difference either. I agree flash is crap, but without support for it, you can't view half of the pages on the internet.

I know, I use frigging 64-bit internet explorer and there's no crapping flash support for it.

1/2 the pages on the net?? LOL!!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
On a desktop computer if I come across a site that uses flash for naviagation I go elsewhere, I resent the fact that they force me into browsing in a single window.

To be honest I can't remember the last time I came across a site like that though. Most people use jQuery or some other javascript framework to do flashing stuff on pages.

Only time I use flash is for video, but youtube et al are all going to be going html 5. (http://www.youtube.com/html5)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I feel a bit of a gimp using my iPhone in public at times. Using one of these would make you look a right tool, imo.

Both the idea and the concept are great. I just think they need to appear more mainstream before a more generalised public acceptance. Of course, you'll always get those tech gimps who'll rush out and buy these in droves and remind everyone else that they have them too. A bit like the Dom Jolly & Mobile Phone Syndrome (lol - as seen above - I didn't read page 2!).....

D.

Likewise, you'll always get the gimps who feel the need to incessantly bleat on about about how Apple products are only bought by fanboy geeks.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Likewise, you'll always get the gimps who feel the need to incessantly bleat on about about how Apple products are only bought by fanboy geeks.

Good point. Between us at home, there are now five Apple devices - ranging from an iPod Shuffle to a new Macbook.

Oh, how deeeeerty do I feel? 20 self-induced thrashings for me, when I get in from work. ;)

D.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Lolz.....

Some valid points in there, though....

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1324&tag=nl.e101

D.

I didn't see many, if any. To be honest when I saw the word event in quotes at the start, it was obvious that this was going to be crap.

With regards to her points

1: There's no physical keyboard

No s**t sherlock, it's a multitouch tablet, by definition they don't have keyboards.

2: This one size doesn't fit all

It sits at a particular point in the market, either side the market is covered by smartphones or laptops.

3: It runs a phone OS

Correction, it runs an OS which has previously been only seen on a phone, but obviously scales up to bigger devices. From the outside the OS was built to be multitouch, unlike OS X or Windows. A custom multitouch OS is the only way to go when building devices like this, half baking a desktop OS will lead to all sorts of problems.

4: There's not enough storage

It's not a PC, it doesn't need tremendous amounts. The apps are small enough to not need huge amounts, I've still yet to fill an iPhone up.

There's an SD adaptor if you're really that worried about storage.

5: There's No HDMI output or camera

HDMI I can possibly see as a bit of an omission, but no biggie, are you really going to plug your tablet into the TV when you probably already have the media elsewhere in your home?

Camera? I can see it as an omission for video conferencing, the tablet would be good for that. For taking pictures? No thanks, I'll use a camera.

6: There are no USB ports

meh, who cares? This isn't a PC.

7: There's no flash memory slot

meh, see 4.

8: The price is not right.

Wall street seems to disagree with you, so will the sales figures.

9: It's locked in.

"On the software side, you can’t run Skype to make phone calls with it, either. We wouldn’t want to cut into the iPhone market, after all. Nor can you download Flash to install on the browser, which means you won’t be watching those YouTube videos."

Clearly she needs to do some research before writing s**t. Both Skype and Youtube work perfectly fine under the iPhone OS.

10. It's all about the network

It's all about WiFi, these things will be used primarily in the home. I suspect the cell versions will not account for many sales.

Nissan 350z
Not sure if this has been posted yet. But It appears theres a cheaper alternative to the iPad.

cartoonspotprentsatire_appleiphoneipodtouchipadtabletmagnifyingglass.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't see many, if any. To be honest when I saw the word event in quotes at the start, it was obvious that this was going to be crap.

With regards to her points

1: There's no physical keyboard

No s**t sherlock, it's a multitouch tablet, by definition they don't have keyboards.

2: This one size doesn't fit all

It sits at a particular point in the market, either side the market is covered by smartphones or laptops.

3: It runs a phone OS

Correction, it runs an OS which has previously been only seen on a phone, but obviously scales up to bigger devices. From the outside the OS was built to be multitouch, unlike OS X or Windows. A custom multitouch OS is the only way to go when building devices like this, half baking a desktop OS will lead to all sorts of problems.

4: There's not enough storage

It's not a PC, it doesn't need tremendous amounts. The apps are small enough to not need huge amounts, I've still yet to fill an iPhone up.

There's an SD adaptor if you're really that worried about storage.

5: There's No HDMI output or camera

HDMI I can possibly see as a bit of an omission, but no biggie, are you really going to plug your tablet into the TV when you probably already have the media elsewhere in your home?

Camera? I can see it as an omission for video conferencing, the tablet would be good for that. For taking pictures? No thanks, I'll use a camera.

6: There are no USB ports

meh, who cares? This isn't a PC.

7: There's no flash memory slot

meh, see 4.

8: The price is not right.

Wall street seems to disagree with you, so will the sales figures.

9: It's locked in.

"On the software side, you can’t run Skype to make phone calls with it, either. We wouldn’t want to cut into the iPhone market, after all. Nor can you download Flash to install on the browser, which means you won’t be watching those YouTube videos."

Clearly she needs to do some research before writing s**t. Both Skype and Youtube work perfectly fine under the iPhone OS.

10. It's all about the network

It's all about WiFi, these things will be used primarily in the home. I suspect the cell versions will not account for many sales.

Good points! I do think that there's a market for the cell versions though - especially if they make inroads into the corporate market. I'm still not conviced in the device as a whole, though. I think given the choice of this or a netbook, the netbook would win my favour.

That said, I'm just summising. Without actually trying one, it's hard to say.

D.

Mondeo STTDCI
I want it. But I dont need it. And am not in a position to get things I want but dont need.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Digging this one back up now the pre-orders are available (in the US at least).

So... whos getting one?

I'm going to get a 32GB Wifi iPad.

My reasons,

1. Its sexy as hell.
2. The ultimate toilet companion.
3. There are going to be some wicked Apps (Facebook, ebay, IMDB, Sky to name a few)
4. Amazing web browsering experience.
5. My music and video player when not in front of the TV.
6. Wicked games.
7. Mags (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyXvLnxyXk for the potential)

Anyone else getting one?

They seem to have done super well thus far in pre-orders. Over 20k units in 2 hrs!

Fiat Panda 100hp
I'm getting both, but getting a MPB eary next year. I like to have my mac's 3 years before getting a new one.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I don't see me buying a iPad, I cannot justify buying something which offers me nothing extra over what I already have with my iPhone and MBP.

RS Megane DCi 175
I have an iPhone, a mac mini and a MBP but somehow I can see myself justifying one of these too! :(
tumblr_kzdo1oJMXZ1qaths7o1_500.jpg

Clio 182 cup'd
I'm going to get a 32GB Wifi iPad.

My reasons,

1. Its sexy as hell.
2. The ultimate toilet companion.
3. There are going to be some wicked Apps (Facebook, ebay, IMDB, Sky to name a few)
4. Amazing web browsering experience.
5. My music and video player when not in front of the TV.
6. Wicked games.
7. Mags (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyXvLnxyXk for the potential)

Anyone else getting one?

Are you being sarcastic? My iPhone does all this aswell, except I dont look like a tw*t taking it to the toilet...

Last edited: