ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I paid £200 for my roof, side trims and spoiler to be prepped and painted to an exterior quality. I admit that the interior is harder to paint but it wouldn't need clearcoat or polishing etc.

thats about right, most painters will work to a price of about £100 per exterior panel... approx....

182cup & 172 racecar
Its a track/race car.

Wtf are you painting it for lol. Put the money/time/effort into something else imho.

Pretty interior doesnt make the thing quicker ;)

Trouble is Dave,you only get one chance to do it,a completely bare shell is a rare thing.
To answer the cost,it's alot of work(labour) to rub down and prepare the inside of a car with a cage in it,harder than the outside and it's very difficult to do.
Thats what my mate told me after I picked myself up off the floor.

BMW Z4
what about doing the prep work yourself and seeing what the cost of just the spraying will be?

There are two jobs in life I hate

I hate hate hate anything that creates dust and mess so me doing the prep work and or doing it myself is a big no no. Tony is right it's a ball ache job to do it right. He is also right in that I want to do this project correctly and that means paint inside is next before I put the car back together and route pipes and wires etc. I also love anything finished off nicely. I would give you my Aston for a nice piece of anodised aluminium with a bevelled edge and a raffierwork attachment. A race car MUST have a white interior in my book.

Mark.

182 trackday racer
Are you able to post some more images of Oreca door panels? Does the quality seem good and did you buy the GF version?

BMW Z4
Hiya

I will take a load of pics this weekend as I am back and put them up. I bought the non carbon ones and they look good to me. A few light scratches on them but im going to sticker them up so not overly bothered about that. They are quite thick but they do NOT cover the wing mirror aperture though like they do with the carbon ones in the K tech pictures.

Mark.

182 trackday racer
Hiya

I will take a load of pics this weekend as I am back and put them up. I bought the non carbon ones and they look good to me. A few light scratches on them but im going to sticker them up so not overly bothered about that. They are quite thick but they do NOT cover the wing mirror aperture though like they do with the carbon ones in the K tech pictures.

Mark.

Okay thanks Mark,

To bad with scratches and the wing mirror covers. You say they are thick, so I pressume they are not superlight either?

Looking forward to some pictures.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Hiya

Mark.

The pics are not a Clio2. They are of a Clio3

pretty misleading of K-tec actually.... although it is pretty obvious as well I suppose that its not a Clio2

182 trackday racer
The pics are not a Clio2. They are of a Clio3

pretty misleading of K-tec actually.... although it is pretty obvious as well I suppose that its not a Clio2

Thats not quite true, one of the pictures show a Clio2 and all others Clio3. BUT I think the Clio2 image is a new one, dont remember seeing it before.

BMW Z4
Ive told CC to paint the inside. I could have had the car back today but figured that I would then have to trolley it round to local paint shops to get quotes and or take pictures and even then they might come back with 4 to £500 anyway. It's easier just to get CC to do it and deliver it back to me done and complete. It means yet another week waiting but im not on a deadline so no worries.

Building a race car takle a LOT longer than you think!

Mark.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ive told CC to paint the inside. I could have had the car back today but figured that I would then have to trolley it round to local paint shops to get quotes and or take pictures and even then they might come back with 4 to £500 anyway. It's easier just to get CC to do it and deliver it back to me done and complete. It means yet another week waiting but im not on a deadline so no worries.

Building a race car takle a LOT longer than you think!

Mark.

Tell me about it.

I think you have made the right decision Mark,plus you can get straight on with it when it comes back rather than faffing around.
Ask them to make you a few rattle cans of the paint so you can patch up any scratches etc,because there will be some,however careful you are.

RS 182 CUP
Just a quick question for you mate, have you replaced all brake lines? or just replaced the flexi hoses with braided ones? if the latter where did you get the braided ones from for the flexi lines by the rear beam? got a thread up on this but no one has any real answers

BMW Z4
So another box of bits arrived :)

Boxofbits.jpg

A nice breather that I will find somewhere to put :)

Breather.jpg

Breather2.jpg

My Door Net in Blue :)

DoorNet.jpg

And the fitting kit

DootnetKit.jpg

Mikalor Clips (not cheap)

MikalorClips.jpg

MikalorClips2.jpg

And my very nice Oil catch tank

OilcatchTank.jpg

OilcatchTank2.JPG

The Samco elbow as i removed my heater and pipes.

SamcoElbow.jpg

And the joiner pipe in ally

SamcoElbowJoiner.jpg

Then I decided to fit my new timing belt and my air con delete kit.

newtimingbelt.jpg

And the Air Con Kit

Fitting1.jpg

Fitting2.jpg

Fitting3.jpg

With it fitted

Fitted.jpg

And the left over pulleys? Is that right? Have I routed it right?

SparePulleys.jpg

In this pic you can see the aux belt catches on the timing belt plastic cover?? what have I done wrong here as it all looks right to me!

BeltCatching.jpg

Also there is a bolt missing from the power steering pump on the right there seems to be a long (ish) bolt but I could not find it and it was not part of the kit. The three bolts in the front that hold the pump to the big alternator bracket are on though.

Mark

PS

Car away for another week yet. LOADS of bits in my garage now!!! Hope I dont get broke into.

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
That catch tank looks great! Looks expensive :)

I think you have a belt with too many ribs!

Have you decided on your wheels yet?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Oh yeah and I wanted one of those door next, the net isn't that expensive but the fitting kit is well expensive! So I sacked it off!

BMW Z4
That catch tank looks great! Looks expensive :)

I think you have a belt with too many ribs!

Have you decided on your wheels yet?

You know I did think that but as I had chucked the old belt I could not match them up. I will take a trip to Renault and compare them.

As for wheels hmmm Matt wants to offer some up when he has the car so we get the offset right so won't make a finaly decision till then Chris.

Here is the tank link

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=delegate&n=1609&g=2935&s=oil+catch+tank

Only £60

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah and I wanted one of those door next, the net isn't that expensive but the fitting kit is well expensive! So I sacked it off!

i also looked at these from schroth back when i ordered my harnesses, however i thought there was no need at all if i was running Polycarbonate windows, how come you have decided to go fro them chap as they will seriously reduce visibility in a race situation

BMW Z4
i also looked at these from schroth back when i ordered my harnesses, however i thought there was no need at all if i was running Polycarbonate windows, how come you have decided to go fro them chap as they will seriously reduce visibility in a race situation

Lack of experience :S

I thought you had to have one to stop your arm coming out the window. I guess with a plastic window it aint gonna smash is it doh.

Mark

BMW Z4
Ok I just nipped in the garage and changed it and that worked. Now the belt runs flat along the bottom. How tight do I need to make that belt by the way now its on a mnaual adjuster?

Love forums on a Sunday morning LOL sad git I know.

I just kind of use the force. I tighten it a bit and if it doesn't squeak I leave it...

I recall Matt saying they used to run some of their cars the wrong way round the pump but I guess you need to file a bit off the cover or use a thinner belt to stop the rubbing.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I was told that if you try and twist the belt in the middle of its longest part (longest distance between two pulleys, think along the bottom) you should be able to twist it approx 90 degrees. That's how I do it on my cup and it works fine.

182cup & 172 racecar
Polycarb windows,you don't need a curtain.I hope the catch tank is a 2ltr one,you won't pass scrutineering if it isn't.

Qashcow
Don't forget that some race cars are complete s**t boxes and burn oil at the same rate as fuel lol