ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hate when someone asks what car do you have?

Renault Clio 182 BG
Went for a job interview today (I do work already, not a bum, honest!) the interviewer asked what hobbies i had, to which i mentioned cars, he claimed to have a Porsche Cayman and asked me what i had, replied a Renault Clio. He gave me a funny look as if to say 'is that it?' so i explained it was a 172 Cup which left him completely mystified so i went on having to justify and explain why the 172 Cup (or any Renaultsport) is not the same as his wife's DCi

Am i the only one who who hates explaining what your car is? Even to like minded people i just feel so cringe worthy having to say it a Renault Clio 172 Cup, im having to give its full title to be completely clear. Not asif saying 'I have a Porsche or BMW' which annoyingly always receive a warmer reception then a Renault :(

I had to do same with many other previous cars, Octavia vRS, Golf GTD, all the time folk just thinking i drove something completely and utterly dull with a few fancy letters on the end

Renault Clio 182 BG
To be honest it was completely worse when i had the Skoda, nothing i said in its defence justified it been an ok car.

He wasnt into his cars, just unfortunately he had a nice car and he thought his automatically made him a petrol head..still got the job though :)

LY 200 EDC LUX
I know exactly what you mean. My non-car savvy friends take the piss because I've got a Renault clio. I've given up trying to describe how capable it is. Completely clueless. If it doesn't have ferarri, lambo or Aston Martin written on it, its obviously crap and slow. Ignorant t***s!

172 Cup
This is a classic example of the difference between people who say they like cars, and actual ethusiasts.

This interviewer sounds like one of these people who buys a car as a materialistic statement, whereas us enthusiasts are inherently more knowledgeable and appreciate cars for what they are regardless of badge or segment!

Range Rover Sport
Do you think you would have more chance getting the job saying your car was a Ferrari F430?

Can't say it's ever bothered me. If people have a more expensive/exclusive car it usually means they listened at school and I shouldn't have been such a dumbass lol.

Joking aside, not sure I'd have gone into detail. 'Clio' should have been a good enough answer for him.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If they wonder what I'm on about I show people a video of my car compared to an m3. That tends to work. Lol.

i know what you mean though. Was so much easier in the past saying "an rs500 sierra cosworth" but the reality is the Clio is a better car!

Last edited:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
My workmates ask quite alot what car i have, i just answer with 'renault clio'. Quite often people just assume its a 1.2 so i let them carry on.

Only 1 person has ever actually asked if it was a 172 and i was shocked! He used to own one when they were quite new.

RS Clio 182
I reply with a 'Renault Sport Clio' and most of the people know its not a normal one,they must be more clued up in the north ;)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it just me that finds it quite embarassing saying to people you drive a clio? Especially one with a loud exhaust :/

clio 182 trophy
Is it just me that finds it quite embarassing saying to people you drive a clio? Especially one with a loud exhaust :/

Yes.lol. People take the piss all the time. I just laugh. The amount of kids that have said to me in work that I put my own bodykit on is prob in the thousands.lol. I just laugh it off. f**k what other people think as long as you enjoy it who cares.

RB 182
I got this just the other day at work... I sold my mk3 clio sx and bought a 197... to people unknowing of the Renault sport scene all they saw was that i sold a blue one and bought a black one that looked very similar...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You are either very supporting of your wife and do not like people saying that she sucks... or i feel sorry for you :( i kind of hope its the first one, you know, for your sake...

Lol!! I think we both know the reality of my situation...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
A 15 year old s**t heap Audi/BMW is a better car than a new fiesta.
A brand new BMW 114i is also better than a brand new Renaultsport Megane 250.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I tell most people i drive a clio.

then my girlfriend chips in with 'oh, but it's a 2.0l renaultsport that's bright yellow with stickers'... Thank you, I'm not embarrassed at all now.

there has been the odd occasion where people have asked 'oh, is it a cup?' And I've had to sound like a tw*t (of varying levels, depending on how much detail I go into) saying 'no, it's not a cup. It's got the cup chassis, but it's not a cup... It's got a half decent interior'

Evo 3, clio sport
I just tell em i drive a Clio Rs and a fiesta 1.0 they look very supriced When i show up in the evo 3 or The -65 mustang when the weather allows it :) love to superice people

Renault Clio 182 BG
Someone at work asked for a lift one day to the bus station, they didt drive so I just said its that's blue one there, I no longer had to explain why it's not just a Clio lol
tbh about 90% of people who own Porsches are just confessing 'I have more money then interest or talent' get the odd real enthusiast thought
it was great once when I went to Spa just to spectate, there where more Clio Cups then anything else :)

This gets me too. I think the problem is the base car is fairly uninteresting so people just tend to think of that. I usually say megane r26. They seem to respond more favourable to that, maybe because of the 'R' lol.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I think people are taking the issue a bit seriously. Why do you feel the need for some appreciation of the car you drive from people not interested in cars?
If I'm asked I just say, usually with great pleasure, just the marque (so "a Renault/a Honda").
If they reply with "but I thought you were interested in cars" and have therefore opened the debate, I would reply with "it's a performance version, Google Integra DC2 or Clio Trophy". If I am friendly with them, I might even send them a link or two to educate them.
A week or two later, they will usually say something like "How's your Integra getting on", everyone's a winner.

Oh, and no car enthusiast "hates" being asked what car they drive if they drive a "special" version. They can't wait to talk about it. That's what being an enthusiast is about.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I had an interview once and told the guy I had a Clio, to which he replied Cup? I said no, Trophy, and he actually knew what it was. There then followed a comprehensive chat about all things cars but I never got offered the job.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
If I ever went for an interview and the talk got onto cars, I'd like to think I'd have an advantage of getting the job.

As others have said, if they don't know what RenaultSport is, they're either a snob or not an enthusiast. Some of the folk I've had round Knockhill in my Cup expect it to be totally s**t but climb out the car and try to buy one the next day lol.