ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forza Motorsport 8

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've never understood where the XBox console is really just a custom, focused PC with games written for it on the PC. Only for so many PC ports of these said games to end up, running like a dog?
That's the benefit of coding a game when everyone is running the same hardware, it's much harder to make a game run on any one of the millions of combinations of CPU, GPU, RAM, OS, storage etc that people are running in their computers. I'm sure if the devs were given more time and/or resources they could make games run well on anything, but it seems like it's just an afterthought sometimes.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Two thoughts.

- It looks very pretty.
- Manual with clutch on a controller is now impossible to drive smoothly

Yep the old method doesn't work anymore clutch has to be engaged for more time unlike just mashing both buttons together. It will work with race trans and clutch but that can be costly to the pi. I've been running manual but have used manual with clutch on a few builds in rivals.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
- Manual with clutch on a controller is now impossible to drive smoothly
My sentiments exactly, thought it was me that was doing it wrong but nope it’s the game.

There are some other aspects of the game that are annoying me but I’ll persevere.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That's the benefit of coding a game when everyone is running the same hardware, it's much harder to make a game run on any one of the millions of combinations of CPU, GPU, RAM, OS, storage etc that people are running in their computers. I'm sure if the devs were given more time and/or resources they could make games run well on anything, but it seems like it's just an afterthought sometimes.
That's the thing though. You go back to the late 90s, early 2000s and the scale and scope of options was bewildering. I recall having no fewer than six different graphics options on start-up for some games back in the day. 3DFx, PowerVR, ViRGE, Matrox, D3D, OpenGL - probably a few more too! The fact that the devs had to cater for a whole raft of potential hardware options was amazing. That, coupled with the high number of DOS users, while Windows was slowly taking over - completely different approach and capability in terms of O/S.

These days - it's much more limited. You're AMD or Intel for CPU. Radeon or nVidia for the graphics. Windows 10 or 11 for the O/S. Granted, there are some combinations on the periphery - but even then, the vast majority are still utilising the DX11 and DX12 APIs.

When the mainstream hardware for a decent-to-good PC should trounce the capabilities of any console - it does seem confusing as to why certain titles struggle on PC? We're seeing 540Hz monitors being released now - yet even some AAA games are locked to a mere 60Hz, dependant upon resolution.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I had to download this again last night after it threw an error on an update.

It seems games downloaded on through the Xbox app on PC don’t play well with all drives. I’ve had to install onto my older SSD rather than either of the NVMe drives in mine.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Had a couple of hours on this last night, visually stunning, it looks superb, plays well on a controller, but as said already the AI cars are a bit wild! 🙃

Not keen on the fact that you can no longer use credits to buy upgrades, you can only use them to buy cars now, then you have to play to unlock tuning parts and the points to be able to use them on that car.

But I shall persevere...

Reactions: HAP

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
And so it begins 👀😅

Content_Screenshot_2023.10.11_-_15.00.19.50.png

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So... I installed the game on PC and attempted to have an hour or two on this last night. What can I say... it makes me appreciate Assetto Corsa all the much more as it absolutely trounces this latest stuttery mess of a game! I'm genuinely disappointed as I've always been reasonably impressed with the Forza games, but this PC incarnation of the latest release is being an absolute pig on my system. I spent about two hours just playing with the settings and I could not get it to run smoothly or consistently at all. The benchmark doesn't make sense, either. The metrics suggest my CPU is running the game at 250fps+, my GPU is somewhere around 150fps, and yet the final framerate is 55fps. And that doesn't vary whether I enable/disable RT, enable/disable DLSS, change resolution. I is disappoint.

I'm going back to Starfield until another patch or two rolls in for this...

That's the thing though. You go back to the late 90s, early 2000s and the scale and scope of options was bewildering. I recall having no fewer than six different graphics options on start-up for some games back in the day. 3DFx, PowerVR, ViRGE, Matrox, D3D, OpenGL - probably a few more too! The fact that the devs had to cater for a whole raft of potential hardware options was amazing. That, coupled with the high number of DOS users, while Windows was slowly taking over - completely different approach and capability in terms of O/S.

These days - it's much more limited. You're AMD or Intel for CPU. Radeon or nVidia for the graphics. Windows 10 or 11 for the O/S. Granted, there are some combinations on the periphery - but even then, the vast majority are still utilising the DX11 and DX12 APIs.

When the mainstream hardware for a decent-to-good PC should trounce the capabilities of any console - it does seem confusing as to why certain titles struggle on PC? We're seeing 540Hz monitors being released now - yet even some AAA games are locked to a mere 60Hz, dependant upon resolution.

It's a whole lot different nowadays, D. Whilst there might have been more GPU manufacturers back then, they were very basic cards by todays standards and very limited in what they could do, and how they did it. Fixed function pipelines meant the way these cards rendered was quite simple; no need to worry about shaders and software running on the GPU (which is what shaders are and what shaders do these days). The complexity in developing for modern GPUs has gone up in orders of magnitude, as has game development in general. @Zelenskyy is absolutely on the mark here; the vendors may be fewer, but the variation in combinations of hardware, driver, OS - and goodness knows what else - inevitably means there are going to be issues for someone, somewhere. And then trying to get it running nicely with the host OS at a low level can be a pain (DX12 a case in point, potentially offering some massive performance gains that haven't really materialised over the years). And then trying to keep things running optimally on the (effectively) baseline x86 architecture from the 12th century! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

(Rant over).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So... I installed the game on PC and attempted to have an hour or two on this last night. What can I say... it makes me appreciate Assetto Corsa all the much more as it absolutely trounces this latest stuttery mess of a game! I'm genuinely disappointed as I've always been reasonably impressed with the Forza games, but this PC incarnation of the latest release is being an absolute pig on my system. I spent about two hours just playing with the settings and I could not get it to run smoothly or consistently at all. The benchmark doesn't make sense, either. The metrics suggest my CPU is running the game at 250fps+, my GPU is somewhere around 150fps, and yet the final framerate is 55fps. And that doesn't vary whether I enable/disable RT, enable/disable DLSS, change resolution. I is disappoint.

I'm going back to Starfield until another patch or two rolls in for this...

It's a whole lot different nowadays, D. Whilst there might have been more GPU manufacturers back then, they were very basic cards by todays standards and very limited in what they could do, and how they did it. Fixed function pipelines meant the way these cards rendered was quite simple; no need to worry about shaders and software running on the GPU (which is what shaders are and what shaders do these days). The complexity in developing for modern GPUs has gone up in orders of magnitude, as has game development in general. @Zelenskyy is absolutely on the mark here; the vendors may be fewer, but the variation in combinations of hardware, driver, OS - and goodness knows what else - inevitably means there are going to be issues for someone, somewhere. And then trying to get it running nicely with the host OS at a low level can be a pain (DX12 a case in point, potentially offering some massive performance gains that haven't really materialised over the years). And then trying to keep things running optimally on the (effectively) baseline x86 architecture from the 12th century! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

(Rant over).
It does seem really weird how hardware that is way above spec is performing so badly. Surely there's a baseline to performance that with shear grunt of hardware alone, should allow it to run well enough? It seems a common vibe on the PC version - the scale of issues I've read about should be the same if it was ported to Mac or something! :p

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly mine has been performing really well but it does seem really random. I'm getting around 100 FPS in 4k with dlss on quality. Game is really smooth. Have you made sure to turn motion effects off?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It does seem really weird how hardware that is way above spec is performing so badly. Surely there's a baseline to performance that with shear grunt of hardware alone, should allow it to run well enough? It seems a common vibe on the PC version - the scale of issues I've read about should be the same if it was ported to Mac or something! :p

Yeah, I hear you mate - it does seem very weird, doesn't it?! The thing is, it's really easy (and I mean REALLY easy!) to make the latest and greatest hardware run like a dog. On the other hand, it is incredibly difficult to get hardware running optimally taking into account the millions of combinations of GPU, driver version, OS, etc. Not all systems are made the same (as you know!) It's not uncommon to have two apparently identical systems running side by side yet running at significantly different performance levels. Yes, it's stupid, but that's the reality of it, unfortunately. :LOL:

In many cases, the art of extracting and maximising performance is a fine balancing act. We are all familiar with CPU and/or GPU bottlenecks, or how a "weak" component in our hardware can cause the rest of the system to perform at a lower level as a result. This is actually quite common. I don't think developers are getting enough time to tweak and optimise as the main phase of development comes to an end if I'm being honest. Profiling, and then making changes based on those results, can result in huge performance gains or highlight performance issues. If a process takes a few milliseconds too long it can cause a stall in the pipeline, and stalls and waiting/idling is a no-no when if you want to avoid performance spikes, stutters and drops. There is no doubt that we are spoiled with the hardware we have available and just how "brute force" powerful it is, but unless it is balanced properly... I'm hoping some of the new tooling coming out for developers might help improve things going forward.

It's a bit like running a cutting-edge, high-performance 100-acre Google data centre... and then connecting said facility to the network infrastructure via a single 1Gb Cat6 ethernet connection... :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::unsure:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly mine has been performing really well but it does seem really random. I'm getting around 100 FPS in 4k with dlss on quality. Game is really smooth. Have you made sure to turn motion effects off?

Yes mate, I have indeed tried it with motion effects off and it made maybe 1-2fps difference!

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
People that have played both...Forza 8 or GT7?

Thinking about binning off the Xbox for a Playstation tbh.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Anyone suffering game crashing?

I’ve had a number of occasions where my game crashes when I am navigating to a new race or have finished a race and going through the options. I’ve had to force quit the game to get it working again. This is on a Series X with the gamepass version btw.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, I have indeed tried it with motion effects off and it made maybe 1-2fps difference!

I more meant because with it on I found it looked really stuttery and I think it was just the screen shake f**king with my eyes. Ensuring it's turned off under gameplay and hud too as it way down near the FOV settings not just turned low in graphics..

Shame that not everyone is having an equal experience though as I'm sure without a doubt your hardware is better than mine. Heres my benchmark that I originally used and had no issues with and I've actually since turned some stuff up. I've not even bothered to download the new Nvidia driver which has some optimisation.

Content Screenshot 2023.10.06 - 04.40.39.81.png

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Anyone suffering game crashing?

I’ve had a number of occasions where my game crashes when I am navigating to a new race or have finished a race and going through the options. I’ve had to force quit the game to get it working again. This is on a Series X with the gamepass version btw.
Yes it bombed out on me last night launching a race, has only happened once so far, but have had the occasional stutter and input lag on menus occasionally.

Feels like a patch is required imminently, never had this with any other Forza game and I have every one!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Yes it bombed out on me last night launching a race, has only happened once so far, but have had the occasional stutter and input lag on menus occasionally.

Feels like a patch is required imminently, never had this with any other Forza game and I have every one!

Yep it’s desperate for a patch.

Having issues with sound tonight.

Maple Valley in my 718 GTS and there are intermittent engine sounds during practice and the race. To be fair though they are probably doing me a favour as the car sounds w**k anyway as I naively thought it was a six banger but nope it’s a flat 4 🙄

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
People that have played both...Forza 8 or GT7?

Thinking about binning off the Xbox for a Playstation tbh.
I bought a PS5 for GT7 18 months ago, because I was sick of waiting for Forza, but I definitley lean towards Xbox over PS and have done since 360.

I think they aren't really comparable, Forza is more arcade like than GT7. GT7 feels like a more serious racer, and a game you could use to get into sim racing, Forza doesn't feel like that, it's a game for casual people who want to pick it up and have fun imo.

GT7 requires investment, I stopped playing it after the first few months and since just haven't had the motivation to get back into it, the times I have picked it back up it has frustrated me. Forza I picked up on Tuesday and instantly just got on with it, for me it's a way better game, although still yet to try online.

I'd never sell my xbox though, far better controller layout, and gamepass, make it the best console imo.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I bought a PS5 for GT7 18 months ago, because I was sick of waiting for Forza, but I definitley lean towards Xbox over PS and have done since 360.

I think they aren't really comparable, Forza is more arcade like than GT7. GT7 feels like a more serious racer, and a game you could use to get into sim racing, Forza doesn't feel like that, it's a game for casual people who want to pick it up and have fun imo.

GT7 requires investment, I stopped playing it after the first few months and since just haven't had the motivation to get back into it, the times I have picked it back up it has frustrated me. Forza I picked up on Tuesday and instantly just got on with it, for me it's a way better game, although still yet to try online.

I'd never sell my xbox though, far better controller layout, and gamepass, make it the best console imo.
Is it as arcadey as the Horizon games? I think they’re absolutely rubbish tbh.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Is it as arcadey as the Horizon games? I think they’re absolutely rubbish tbh.
No definitley not anything like it, although I do like Horizon too haha

You should try FM, you could get gamepass for a month to try it cheaply. If you want more of a sim you could get assetto corsa for Xbox too.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I more meant because with it on I found it looked really stuttery and I think it was just the screen shake f**king with my eyes. Ensuring it's turned off under gameplay and hud too as it way down near the FOV settings not just turned low in graphics..

Gotcha, thanks. (y) It has made a bit of a difference visually, definitely - although I'm running at such poor quality at the moment it's hard to distinguish anything! LOL!

Having pished around for a couple of hours, I think it's two things. Firstly, the CPU scaling is woeful (as has been mentioned and documented across various editorials and videos on the Internet. Secondly, I think this is resulting in my CPU horrifically bottlenecking and making things even worse. Check this out... lowest possible settings, effectively running at 360p, and struggling. I think it's time to upgrade my CPU (which I was planning) and to wait for a patch! This is the worst game I have ever had/seen in terms of CPU s**t-housery. :ROFLMAO:

screen-fm-crappy.jpg

If I run it in Ultra with everything cranked up, it runs about 15% worse... :unsure:

If I disable 6 physical cores on my CPU, it runs about 10% better.

I think I'm going to uninstall it for now. I have absolutely no issues with any other games whatsoever. Very disappointed in Turn 10 on this occasion.

(Back to Assetto Corsa!)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Gotcha, thanks. (y) It has made a bit of a difference visually, definitely - although I'm running at such poor quality at the moment it's hard to distinguish anything! LOL!

Having pished around for a couple of hours, I think it's two things. Firstly, the CPU scaling is woeful (as has been mentioned and documented across various editorials and videos on the Internet. Secondly, I think this is resulting in my CPU horrifically bottlenecking and making things even worse. Check this out... lowest possible settings, effectively running at 360p, and struggling. I think it's time to upgrade my CPU (which I was planning) and to wait for a patch! This is the worst game I have ever had/seen in terms of CPU s**t-housery. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1664932

If I run it in Ultra with everything cranked up, it runs about 15% worse... :unsure:

If I disable 6 physical cores on my CPU, it runs about 10% better.

I think I'm going to uninstall it for now. I have absolutely no issues with any other games whatsoever. Very disappointed in Turn 10 on this occasion.

(Back to Assetto Corsa!)

Wow that's actually awful. Honestly even though I'm having a good time with the game it's embarrassing for T10 to spend all this time supposedly building this game from the ground up only to come out like this (I started this thread 3 years ago 😂). I know a lot of people had hoped for a day 1 patch on 10th but nothing yet.

Hopefully when you come back the game performs better and you have a much better experience with it.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Played about 3 hours of multiplayer with my mates last night, generally we all agree it’s a good game. (y)

However some of the car models leave a lot to be desired… Lotus Carlton for reference…

Forza Motorsport (8):

IMG_7547.jpeg

Forza Motorsport 4:

IMG_7545.jpeg

Why does the 1080p game from 2 console generations ago look better than the brand new 4K game? :unsure:

Also what the fcuk is that colour on FM8, even Stevie Wonder can tell that’s not the colour of a Lotus Carlton! :rolleyes:

Yet other cars look stunning on FM8 as do the tracks & environments, very bizarre.

Reactions: HAP

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It feels very unfinished. Shame really, as when it’s done right (blasting around Maple Valley in the fog last night) it’s brilliant.

But the graphical glitches (wet tracks sometimes flash like strobe lighting for me), crashing and dreadful AI is frustrating.

I’ll still play it, but glad it’s on GamesPass and I didn’t pay retail for it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Oh, and I’m still pissed off at the clutch ‘reworking’.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think some of the cars have been reworked very well to take advantage of the newer lighting and material systems they've implemented. The PBR looks great on some cars, and shoddy on others.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Definitely feels unfinished to me and hopefully with a bit of work these issues can be ironed out, I know not all the tracks are there yet and they're releasing them over the coming weeks/months, there's no Nordschleife yet sadly.

I had a weird sound glitch last night, then a weird controller glitch at the start of a race, but other than that it was ok the rest of the night.

Does look like they have just imported some old car models from God knows where, as I loaded FM7 to compare and the Lotus Carlton looks better than it does in FM8, plus the colour is spot on, lovely deep metallic green, it even looks like paint when you zoom in with a bit of orange peel, not like the weird NATO green in FM8.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
It's a bit unfair to compare it to FM4, the best driving game of all time 💪😎
Bro do you even Fujimi Kaido? :cool:

Really is a mega game, I still have a 360 as there are a few games including this that aren't back compatible annoyingly!

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bro do you even Fujimi Kaido? :cool:

Really is a mega game, I still have a 360 as there are a few games including this that aren't back compatible annoyingly!
Every time I fire up a driving game on the PC I always end up thinking about trawling eBay for an Xbox 360 and Forza 4. Nothing has come close since then imo. There are better looking games, and there are games with far more realistic car physics, but in terms of just having fun driving loads of great looking cars on great looking tracks it can't be beat

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why does the 1080p game from 2 console generations ago look better than the brand new 4K game? :unsure:

I have noticed its very strange at 1080p, on my Projector downstairs i play at 4k Ultra and it looks visually stunning, on my workstation I play at 1920x1200 Ultra as that's the native res of the monitor and it looks 10 years older. while other games look the same just obviously at a lower resolution.

At first I thought it was a quirk of giving this a go...
PXL_20231014_122107955.jpg

but no it does the same thing if I change my other machine to 1080p