ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dyed seat belts

Hey guys

quick question has anyone dyed their seat belts before? If so what was the outcome? I'm changing some of the interior of my Inferno to match the outside. I've seen a picture of a Megane sport Inferno with orange belts and considering to do the same thing thoughts?

​thanks

I get the feeling that Sam changed his to orange in his Inferno, will be in his project thread, cant for the life of me remember his user name though!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi mate.

Dont think anyone has done this yet. Well, atleast i have not seen it.

Had planned to do this on my old inferno but didnt get around to it before i wrote it off. LOL

So now here it is.

The Purchase

5520182020_f6748c86a0_z.png

Orange seatbelts out of an Inferno Megane Sport.

I bought these from a breakers yard in london. They needed a bit of a clean buy i wasnt put off by this.

I had previously contacted Fred about fitting these into the baked bean and he said he didnt really know. So i set about attempting to fit these into the bean.

Problem

The first thing i noticed was at the bottom of the megane seatbelts the fastener was totally different. I know the clio had like a bar that the seatbelts slid up and down on and the megane just had a buckle.

I set about cutting this buckle off as i thought it would slide over the bar like the standard clio belts did.

5520080362_2d32d07c06_z.jpg

The Bar with standard clio belts on:

5519492231_01938b8a3e_z.jpg

IT WORKED. Megane belts on!

5519493197_e14543789b_z.jpg

Next was fitting it 'bit that fastends to the door pillar' to the door pillar.

The bolt for the clio is really stubby, where as the megane one is quite a bit longer. I look at the back and noticed there where 2 little clips on it. (You can see the 2 little black clips)

5520338080_a769bee822_z.jpg

So i carefully bent both clips and the bolt dropped out. I then did the same on the clio belts and got the bolt from that, and pushed it into the megane one. Fitted perfectly.

So i bolted that on.
smiley4.gif

5520083660_3b969bb0a2_z.jpg

The hard bit

This was what i thought was going to be a bit of a pain in the arse.

Firstly took the rear door card ?
smiley5.gif
off (what a pain in the arse that is btw) then was left with the big recoil machanism thingy at the bottom. In the clio, they sit in a little gap which it fits in. (Sadly i didnt take any pictures as the camera ran out.)

5520338696_411085f846_z.jpg

Right. If you look at the picture above, this is the megane seatbelt.

On the megane, im assuming that there was a bolt which screwed into the tapped hole and went into the chassis. On the clio. This is not the same.

There is a bit of metal, around 10cm long which bolts into the chassis further down and then the other end of it is onto the seat belt mechanism.

So i undid this and where it connected to the seatbelt mechanism on the clio was a big old school rivet.

I got a 6MM drill bit and drilled the old rivet out so i could get this piece of metal.

I then got some 10MM hign tensile rivets and dug out my rivet gun. (It needed some WD40. HAA)

I got a 10MM drill bit and drilled the tapped bits out of the megane mechanism so it was nice and smooth, then i placed both bits of metal together and wacked the rivet in. Then just put the bolt back in the bottom of the bracket and put this into the clio chassis.

The Finished Item

Well, overall im really happy with the seatbelts. I need to clean them up a bit more.. (Anyone know what i can use to get a good clean finish ??)

Heres the pictures.

5520419032_8621e4c436_z.jpg

5520086000_4b93aa920e_z.jpg

Well. Im BUZZING i finally got them in. I hope you guys like.

Any questions fire them over!

Thanks, Sam!!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
thats how they should have come from the factory tbh, white/greyish belts dont work very well with the colour scheme

Sam im in love with your bean! (no innuendo intended!) she looks lush!!! thanks for the inspiration - you've done everything ive been wanting to do since i got mine!! i searched for the orange megane belts ages agao and couldnt find any. im gonna look again now but i have a funny feeling im gonna have to ring some scrappers down south to see if i can find some there - theres only 1 megan bean in my area so finding a wrecked one is pretty hard!!! could i ask where you got your D38 mixed from? was it halfords? it looks amazing and ive heard mixed reports about halfords and im not sure if i wanna go with them. unless yours is from there then i will defo get it from them lol.

​cheers!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeh, got the paint mixed at halfords and did all the dash strips and inserts.

I got my belts from around london area when i was working there. Paid £10 for them from a bloke in Hackney.

They make a good modification but you need patience to put them in. Worth it though.

Yeh, got the paint mixed at halfords and did all the dash strips and inserts.

I got my belts from around london area when i was working there. Paid £10 for them from a bloke in Hackney.

They make a good modification but you need patience to put them in. Worth it though.

sweet cool ill do that then. did you consider the rs sticker on your wheel trim to be black instead of silver/grey? to me it doesnt strike enough, (i'm not mocking yours its lush!) but if you've done it before and you think it was naff or too much i probs wouldnt do the same.

yeah the belts i have patience on putting in (i like building things lol) but its frustrating trying to find them! i thought ebay sold everything haha!!

did you re-black anything at all? to kinda restore it to full condition? or was yours alright?

Benji