ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Jobs that still need to be done are:

Remove CD player residue. The Russian. said that it was a ball ache..... he wasn't wrong! lol Ive got most of it off but im just doing it here and there as its a long and boring job!

Shave seats and bobbly bits on door cards.

Remove door cards and see what is rattling behind both doors as its very annoying!

Clean up engine bay.

Fit original head unit and plug into CD changer.

Give the car a clean.

My vent and number late bulb holder hasn't turned up yet unfortunately so cant do those.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Im led to believe you just take a razor to them. Ive got a few disposables so i shall give it a go, hopefully tomorrow. There is a few threads on it.

Tbh my seats have seen better days but it should look better after i shave them untill i get a mint set.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, ive just came across this thread and read it all. Looking great already, il keep an eye on the thread.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice work so far Mark! Very nice. Great job on the front bumper, sorry I didn't reply, I've been hotel bound for days.

If your front driveshaft gaitor clip has let go, I'm afraid a cable tie won't do it.

You need to do the following:

Get suitable sized jubilee clip

Order/Come to mine.. and get some CV grease

Fill up the CV joint

Do up jubilee clip.

It'll run dry otherwise!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im led to believe you just take a razor to them. Ive got a few disposables so i shall give it a go, hopefully tomorrow. There is a few threads on it.

Tbh my seats have seen better days but it should look better after i shave them untill i get a mint set.

You're actually better using a better quality razor than a disposable mate! Hoover at the ready as well, makes it easier to suck the bits of fluff from the blades!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
log on for the first time in ages to find you have a ph1 now!! good choice ;)

looks great man, ill have to keep an eye, hoping youll be making is as nice and clean as your 182! :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
oh right fair enough, presumed there would be a special way of doing it aha,

i'll have a search then

I don't think so mate. Make sure you have a few razors though ;)

Hi mate, ive just came across this thread and read it all. Looking great already, il keep an eye on the thread.

Thanks Austin :) Got a lot if work to do on this one but we'll get there. I sold mine to azza_ off here and he keeps looking at yours for inspiration :)

Nice work so far Mark! Very nice. Great job on the front bumper, sorry I didn't reply, I've been hotel bound for days.

If your front driveshaft gaitor clip has let go, I'm afraid a cable tie won't do it.

You need to do the following:

Get suitable sized jubilee clip

Order/Come to mine.. and get some CV grease

Fill up the CV joint

Do up jubilee clip.

It'll run dry otherwise!

No worries mate, I knew you was busy. I've done it this way before but I will get a new jubilee clio on there for proper secure-ness (is that even a word?! Lol)

You're actually better using a better quality razor than a disposable mate! Hoover at the ready as well, makes it easier to suck the bits of fluff from the blades!

Thanks Danny! Any brand you recommend?

log on for the first time in ages to find you have a ph1 now!! good choice ;)

looks great man, ill have to keep an eye, hoping youll be making is as nice and clean as your 182! :)

Thanks Alex! Part of the elite now ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Decided to get a few more things i wanted to have a look at, done today.

Firstly i went out this morning to the jetwash to give it a quick clean:

11149699764_bca69f1f46.jpg

Clean ph1 172 by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11158463634_0bf7520a1e.jpg

Cleaned ph1 at home by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11158442256_3c257c93bd.jpg

clean 172 at home by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I then took apart the door panels to see what the rattling noise was. I dont know what it could be tbh as everything seemed as it should be. Maybe its just Renault's build quality :(

11158473004_a597e427d9.jpg

Door panel off by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

So they went back together and i then added the CS metal tax disc holder:

11158431626_ac2ecee1db.jpg

CS tax disc holder by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I then had a look at fitting my original tape headunit but after removing it and having a look at the connections i think im going to need an adapter and i cant be arsed with all that so i put the Sony one back in. Its got a USB connection so i'll just add music to a stick. It also has phone connectivity but i havent figured out how to pair them up :eek:

Next job was to remove the acoustic parcel shelf. It is a stealth shelf with decent Infinity speakers but its just not my thing and its quite heavy. This is up for grabs if anybody is interested ;)

Im getting a annoying sound from the rear. Sounds like its loose plastic hitting plastic when the car vibrates. I thought it was the parcel shelf but it has done it since it has been removed. I shall investigate next week.

I also annoyingly put one of my exhaust mount bolts in the piss and now it rattles. It was hard to get passed the Ktec bracket but having a look today its in wonky. Gutted as i reckon it'll be hard to get it correct if i've cross threaded it. I also noticed that the center one wouldn't tighten up fully as it has a washer on the top of the mount which keeps spinning, but i cant get to it to hold it while tightening :mad:

Lastly i had a few spare razors and a bit of time/light left so i thought i'd give it a go. I used tesco disposals with the lubricating strip. Came up pretty decent tbh...... however i did nip the leather a tad a few times :eek: Im not too bothered though as the seats look tired anyhow and next year id like to source a VGC set.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@Scrooge has got a de-bobbler.... :eek:

Debobbler on ebay, really good piece of kit!

No need now chaps.

Love it! I'd like another ph1 one day. Any big plans for the future?

Thanks Ash. No big plans in terms of power. Id like over time to get it mint with parts of the body resprayed. I'd like it to be a OEM+ car that will eventually be a very clean car. Thats the aim but it will be a while before it gets there.

Nice little touches Mark, bringing it all together.

Slowly but surely bobby.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Good work Mark, i have a M8 tap that you could run throught the exhaust mount nuts. This will clear them out and repair the problem.

Re CV boot, i have hose clips on mine as a cable tie just doesn`t hold them in place.

I think i bought 110mm ones from Halfords and just cut the ends down as they are to long once tightened up, i even have them on the drive shaft end as i can not be doing with CV grease making a mess of my arches.

Any problems cove over to mine or give me a call. :)

Looking good Mark, coming along nicely.

Has someone spliced into the original wiring or something so you can't put the original HU back in? I thought they were all ISO cables now?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

Be careful you don't nick any of the sides of the seats- I use a bit of detailing spray as well just to make doing it smoother....

S

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good Mark, coming along nicely.

Has someone spliced into the original wiring or something so you can't put the original HU back in? I thought they were all ISO cables now?

Not sure mate. I got 2 parts of the connectors into the original (power lead and the small yellow connector) but the 3rd doesnt fit. I got to admit its been a long time since i fiddled with car audio.

Be careful you don't nick any of the sides of the seats- I use a bit of detailing spray as well just to make doing it smoother....

S

Too late Steve. However the seats have seen better days regardless and have got a few marks out of them already. Next year i shall purchase a decent 2nd hand set. Its on the to do list :)

Yes mate, ill bring it home with me after work on Tuesday.

You are a star. Let me know and i'll either arrange to come to you or you send it and i'll send it back. Just drop me a text Tuesday :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The interior rattle had rattled before Dan.

I felt that the mount is slightly loose on the 3rd mount bolt and when its pushed up it stops so i think its the mount rattling against the underneath of the body.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Got a headlight out recently

11296075153_72b5b072a6.jpg

Only one main headlight by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I was eventually going to get a HID kit at a later date but decided to get one now and kill 2 birds with one stone. I text Jacob The Russian which ones he's got on he's ph1 as they look spot on. I thought I may as well add a few more LED's while I'm there for various other parts. I got:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200962964560 (HB3 35w 6000k for the dual optics)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290746516333 (Number plate bulb)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320996795630 (Boot light in xenon white)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140825715721 (Sidelight bulbs)

They all arrived promptly. I also ordered a new thermostat from Renault Wolverhampton as since my coolant change I've noticed my temp needle only hitting 70degree angle on the gauge.

11295843114_07a5bd3772.jpg

Cree sidelights by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11295888896_bd52f222e2.jpg

HID's and thermostat by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11295820655_05a9c21ed4.jpg

6000k HID's by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

The boot light has been fitted. Its bright but does need the sides filing down a smidgen as it is a tight squeeze in the holder. I've still yet to receive my air vent and number plate light holder but Adam at Renault Wolverhampton is on the case and has been very good :)

Last edited:
  Many.
Coming on well as I'd expect :)

Remind me about your headunits bluetooth when I see you, I'll probably know how to do it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This is near on perfect, as i said in Yeecup's thread - its actually one of the better one's on the forum... Want a Cup??? ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This is near on perfect, as i said in Yeecup's thread - its actually one of the better one's on the forum... Want a Cup??? ;)

Its here to stay down south. Lol

Thanks for listing the bulbs, might buy a boot one.
Oh I have that M8 tap mate, its at home.

Let me know if you still need it. :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks Danny! I love it mate. Before I bought it, I was getting impatient as it wasn't available fom Jamie and I couldn't find any others so I did actually contemplate a cup :eek: However I'm glad I waited :)

Ive got my birthday not long after the new year and have asked for money so I'm thinking of putting that towards getting some bits sprayed on the bodywork.... Although I do love a Sabelt wheel lol

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Its here to stay down south. Lol

Thanks for listing the bulbs, might buy a boot one.
Oh I have that M8 tap mate, its at home.

Let me know if you still need it. :)

No worries Scott. As said it is bright, just need to sand down the sides a tad because it does fit in the holder, it is a tight fit and goes in slightly off. It's not chav blue either, which is nice!

I shall text you in a bit about the tap :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Not yet buddy. Hopefully fitting them Sunday. I've taken a few before pics and I shall take a few after pics for comparison. I'll update in this thread and the other one once fitted :)

Also my parcel shelf came from Djw John so got that fitted and now no more acoustic shelf, which wasn't the lightest!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Mark I'm sure I have the h.u instructions in my hut I'll dig it out so u can get the Bluetooth working. Loving the progress so far mate.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Found it! Ok with your phone in the car press and hold the bt button on the hu, a little symbol will flash on hu top corner, then search for the hu on your phone in the Bluetooth settings, if it asks for a code enter 0000 and the symbol that was flashing should now stay lit and a phone icon should now appear at top right corner of hu and your done! Any probs let me know. :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that Jamie :) I shall give it a go possibly tomorrow evening. I may ask you to post the handbook over to me if you don't mind? Never know when it'll come in handy seen as I shall be keeping the headunit.

Also I forgot to text you but the logbook came through this week. The ph1 is officially mine :)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Nice one. Yeah iv got the manual and box here if u ever want it.