ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks Ben :)

I've set my mind on 20mm anyway Scott. Getting the missus to get them for my birthday.

Madness! You're really not going to be able to see 5mm!!! Fussy :rasp:

Coming along nicely on the tidy up, did you lube and clean up the throttle body whilst you did the cable? Makes the world of difference doing the two together.

Many.
I would like to know what it would look like on 20mm's, but my 25's looked awesome on it.

5mm is such a small amount though.... swings and roundabouts.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Madness! You're really not going to be able to see 5mm!!! Fussy :rasp:

Coming along nicely on the tidy up, did you lube and clean up the throttle body whilst you did the cable? Makes the world of difference doing the two together.

I am fussy! I'm sticking with my guns though!

I couldn't tell you mate. Alex was fitting it while I was tinkering with the strips.

Good progress, the little bits will all add up. Nice attention to detail :)

Thanks Ash! You still wanting one?

I agree with @Bobby.

Those pictures have swayed me towards 25mm :)

Good progress Mark coming along nicely! those side strips look spot on to!

Thanks bud! What make are you going with on the spacers? The ones I tried were FK's however I'll be getting some from Dan@Myldan. The FK's were nice and light. Also PM Ph1 Tom as he's got some 10mm -1 rear hub spacers for sale that have done little mileage ;)

I would like to know what it would look like on 20mm's, but my 25's looked awesome on it.

5mm is such a small amount though.... swings and roundabouts.

We was looking at it for some time too!

Mark, how easy was it to get the badges out of the side strips?

Easy buddy. Once the strips are removed you'll be able to see that the badges are clipped in. They just pop out.

Like too see bits of my old Ph1 going to good use :)

Looking great Mark

Went out in it yesterday. Really impressed with how it handled. The H&R's performed well.

Is it hard to fit the windscreen surrounds?

The sides are fine but getting the top in first was a bit of a pain. You have to push it in at an angle then press/push/pound the back of it down with your fingers/thumbs/base of fists untill it sits flush. I warn you though it's quite frustrating!

Nice to see the last air freshener went to a good home! :approve:

Thanks my man :) As said in the other thread, I love a bit of CS merchandise!

Thanks bud! What make are you going with on the spacers? The ones I tried were FK's however I'll be getting some from Dan@Myldan. The FK's were nice and light. Also PM Ph1 Tom as he's got some 10mm -1 rear hub spacers for sale that have done little mileage ;)

Once the strips are removed you'll be able to see that the badges are clipped in. They just pop out.

Yeah i'll probably get mine from M.A.D as well! im not sure i can justify the extra expense the the lighter ones if im not planning on tracking it any time soon
I'd snap his arm off at the right price but got other things to pay for first.... must stop with the mods untill ive sorted some vital things like cambelt etc. unless its a mod that doesnt cost me any money obviously ;)

And your telling me i need to take the side strips off to get badges off... thats Ghayy!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Front 20mm spacers from M.A.D

20130823_172054_zps39fa7413.jpg

20130823_173641_zps273ebb97.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
He offered me £20 for them posted ;) Just saying...

The side strips just slide out mate. We used a little lever to get behind the door ones then pushed them towards the rear of the car and they just slip out. The rear ones slide towards the front of the car. Stop being a pussy :rasp:

Also are you on Flickr?

Thanks Scott :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Oh i just remembered mark, i had to take about 2mm off of the end of my wheel bolts.

I did this at work on the lathe, but a file should do the trick

He offered me £20 for them posted ;) Just saying...

The side strips just slide out mate. We used a little lever to get behind the door ones then pushed them towards the rear of the car and they just slip out. The rear ones slide towards the front of the car. Stop being a pussy :rasp:

Also are you on Flickr?

Hmmm see how pay day goes tomorrow ;)

haha ok ok i'll get out there tomorrow on lunch and have a look.
Yes mate.. well i am now after seeing your pictures on there, thought i best subscribe ;)

Thanks Ash! You still wanting one?

I'd love one as a toy/project but getting good examples is getting harder these days. It wont be for ages mind until i move to a bigger place with a bigger garage. The garage at mine atm can fit a car in but with not much room for anything else unfortunately. I think by then i'd probably be after something different as a long term project as well.

You never know hey :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Did another couple of litte jobs today once the whether brightened up. Decided to remove the door cards and fit my standard ph1 door handles and remove the colour coded ph2 ones.

11652661155_1e8a26c1cd.jpg

Handles and speaker removed by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11652700675_b7a1630071.jpg

Door panel off by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11653479656_7456d087e9.jpg

Bare door by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Ph2 lovers look away!

11655278795_fa8dd438c1.jpg

Ph1 door handles fitted by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

The car is filthy and you can see the door dent next to the handle. It also has some paint imperfection so it'll be eventually sprayed but not yet so I may get my dent guy round.

Then while the panels were off I decided to underlay my door panels to help the vibration. I had some strong doulble side sticky tape but due to losing the light and it being cold I only quickly did it as you can see :eek: Tbh I'm not sure it'll do anything but it was worth a shot for £8.

11653083783_e0da87ff67.jpg

Underlayed drivers door by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

11652812415_02f6d11ff3.jpg

Underlayed passenger door by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I've had the delta mic ones on both of ph1's, the heavy steel ones. They are like £45, never had any issues with them.

They were on the flamer and that car was heavily abused every day, including bouncing over apex's at the 'ring. Saying that the set Alex has I'm pretty sure came off my Monaco.

Also the greyness of ph1 interior makes me sad.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@Phase1sr Really? Well I shall get a metal file next week then as I only have a wood one! I think I've got a spare set of bolts in the loft actually.

@Timmsy Haha I thought so. I just wandered as I thought your name was Tim :eek: Its better than photobucket as you don't lose picture quality and if you move or edit a photo it doesn't get deleted.

@Ash' trying to find a decent condition one is getting rarer now :( They always come back though ;)

@dmallett I did read about the delta ones and I remember reading that Baderson had trouble with he's on the hub face and that put me off.

Still no more ph2 stuff is going on. Cup spoiler is all it'll be!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes mate some of the bolts felt a bit funny when doing them up.

I took them out to find that some had hit the end of the bolt so was not doing up 100% tight.

All sorted now though.

Many.
Grind the bolts :D

The FK spacers I got from dmallett have taken an amazing amount of abuse on my car, never even had to re-torque, although I have the wheels off so often I wouldn't notice. When we borrowed one of the spacers for Marks was the first time I've removed one of them since fitting lol.

Have you driven it since fitting the underlay? Notice any differance? Or doors had a better feel/noise when shutting?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ok Scott nice to know that. You know what that means Alex ;)

I will do that but eventually I'll probably go and get a stud and nut kit.

I only did the underlay this afternoon mate so I can't comment yet, but I have sh*t loads left!

Thanks Austin. Its good to update it, no matter how big or small.

172 phase 1
very fresh lookin ph1 there wish mine had those miles :( also il take those ph2 side strips and bullets if youre selling mate drop me a pm if you are :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Na its Graham :)
I'll use that from now on then, seems like a much better solution than photobucket

The app is good to use too. Only downfall is you can't use the image code on the app so you have to do it on the net.

very fresh lookin ph1 there wish mine had those miles :( also il take those ph2 side strips and bullets if youre selling mate drop me a pm if you are :)

Thanks John. Its a daily so I'm sure they will creep up, but I share my girlfriends car so hopefully they won't creep up too much.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Went up into the loft and managed to find a spare set of bolts. I will grind the tips off these for the spacers.

11734200293_6761bc514d.jpg

Spare wheel bolts by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

I've also got a few bits coming to me. I gave my girlfriend a wish list for a few birthday ideas and she got the bloody lot! :D Result! So I've got coming:

Dan@MAD 20mm front hubcentric spacers

Dan@MAD 10mm -1 degree rear hub spacers

Dan@MAD ally footrest

Dan@MAD aluminium battery cover

Genuine Renault Sport interior car mats

Unfortunately I'm not aloud to have them until next week so I'm told :(

Also I ordered a genuine oil filter and sump washer from Renault Wolverhampton as I'll be doing an oil change soon. Top service from them :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Mark, when you fit the rear spacers if you are going to use the stainless bolts and nuts provided then make sure that you put copper slip grease on the threads.

Stainless steel on stainless steel tends to bind up so it will feel as if the bolts are tight but it won't be 100%.
Also hold the bolt still and do the nuts up. :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to add that I shall be fitting my original airbox now that it's all complete. I was missing the pipe that goes from the 90 degree bend to the ICV but Coops Turbo had one so I've got that and a coolant bottle lid to replace my cheapo one. As awesome as the Ktec induction kit sounds, I don't like the look of it showing my dirty engine :eek:

I also went through various filters on my old 182 and found the best setup IMO was the standard airbox with updated panel filter so I'll be doing the same on the ph1.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I've also reconsidered a nut and bolt kit as it means I will have to locktight them into the spacers. This isn't a real problem as such but I wanted to keep the spacers as they come. I can't help but look at the TPI polarised ones. I had these before on my 182 but they had gone a bit manky, however I did but them second hand. I may look into a new set including locking wheel bolts but that will be in the summertime.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'll give her Emily's number ;)

As mentioned in your engine bay thread, silver looks great. You've convinced me to do the same to this one :) OEM+ is the way forward.