ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

does anyone take the piss when you say you have a clio?

mk1 phase 3
i only get it off my mate, who drives a nissan almera gti.

he is one of these people you call, jokingly, and he gets dead serious!

i just say, yeah well...at least im not driving around in a hurst!

he doesnt like that!

its black btw, hence the hurst resembelence[spelling?], long, black, high ;)

Monaro VXR
Used to get the comments all the time when i had my clio. Then again got 2 mates that think the rover 25 is a more attractive car than the clio and they bought one....Maybe if your in your 60's. But i find the 25 one of the ugliest things on the road.

But hey i have to laugh at my mate he spent £10k on a basic rover 25 no extras at all. 1.4 84bhp model and since he is paying for it over 5 years comes to somewhere in the rejoin of £13k.

Yet its worth around £3k now been accident damaged and he drives it hard all the time.

Now own a Citroen C4 Coupe and its a lovely car. And now there telling me the focus is a nicer looking car. The focus is bland and boring least the C4 is a bit different and a lot rarer on the roads. Also better equipped etc.

I put it all down to jealousy both my car have been brand new had to wait 12 weeks on the C4 to get it in the specification i wanted. Yet they have to drive around in older cars that well arent as good.

Clio 172 mk2
blaze said:
DB not an issue for me, I'm just a bu**er that likes to debate.

Take care and sorry to make you feel that way. I'm just on a mission at times.

Take care you

Blaze

Your excused by me as well by the way:D

IMHO the whole thread was meaningless and as per usual descended into a load of pub talk and BS.

It seems car forums are as bad as mountainbike ones used by kids

I don't get asked what car I drive very often (must only be man thing!)

Although I unintentionally overtook a bloke I know when I was driving home, the next time I saw him he said that my 182 was a quick little car.
I suppose that’s the best compliment I can expect from a Volvo driver!! :rasp:

Golf R/Leon FR
when i tell people i tend not to tell them its a sport i let them find out on the road!!! lol
i dont mind what peole say tbh, i like it i know its a quick car so im happy!!

Weeman sucks ****
I always get flack, then I say (and shouldn't) about the exhaust, coilovers etc and get even more...should learn really lol.

But f**k em all, I show M3's and elise's up:D

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I get some stick at work most think I'm some sort of nut for stripping out a 'little clio'

CHRIS172CUP said:
I always get flack, then I say (and shouldn't) about the exhaust, coilovers etc and get even more...should learn really lol.

But f**k em all, I show M3's and elise's up:D

lol.. dont think a cup will show an m3 up somehow..

A4 Avant & A3
Just as i was driving through the works carpark tonight and chap from my department stopped me for a little chat, which included him looking round my car.

What did he say?... Correct

"It's very nice, bit of a girls car though".. followed up with "whats 'cup 172' mean?"

Then i remembered, he's getting a convertible mini lol now whos got the girly car! he shut up when i pointed that out... lol

D

dick

ollie_yesclio said:
i only get it off my mate, who drives a nissan almera gti.

he is one of these people you call, jokingly, and he gets dead serious!

i just say, yeah well...at least im not driving around in a hurst!

he doesnt like that!

its black btw, hence the hurst resembelence[spelling?], long, black, high ;)

just so u no, think u mean a hurse

Motorbikes
is it not herse?

As wozzaa says about the 25, when i was looking for a car i test drove a 25 1.4 16v (105bhp??) and found it to be rather slow compared to my 1.2 16v clio (75bhp). i got a ripping at work gor getting a clio, but most of them are middle aged men who cant tell when theyre motor is about to break down and run it into the ground without getting it properly serviced. the worst guy for slagging me off though has a
Civic Type R so i told him "statistically its old people who buy hondas" he shut up after that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Norris_309 said:
Just as i was driving through the works carpark tonight and chap from my department stopped me for a little chat, which included him looking round my car.

What did he say?... Correct

"It's very nice, bit of a girls car though".. followed up with "whats 'cup 172' mean?"

Then i remembered, he's getting a convertible mini lol now whos got the girly car! he shut up when i pointed that out... lol

What - and this guy seriously called your 172 Cup a girl's car? Fecking hell - I'd piss my sides royally if he said that to my face....

D.

Weeman sucks ****
GuyS said:
but the m3 would still embarass it in terms of looks and respect from car enthusiasts.

It's all driver ability ladies and fair play I've come up against the bad ones in the bunch. I'm sure in the right hands I'd get shown right up but...the ones I have been around only know how to boot it in a straight line...and you'll be surprised.

Try it sometime...unless you're an M3 driver;)

172cup
i've shown up a few of the older m3's but not the spanking new ones?! Agreed its down to driver ability majority of time

Weeman sucks ****
It's even quite surprising how you can fair to a subaru through the corners too. Scary in fact.

p.s. the older M3's aren't much slower than the new ones if at all, it'd be the tyres that help.

not got a clio but funny story,

got an mr2 and we are talking about cars when the boss of the security company comes in, big hard guy you dont want to mess with. he starts slating my car saying how itl break down everywhere and need towed to get over 100 mph.. so i asked him whathe drove.......

nissan micra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a goober!

RenaultSport clio 182 CUP
i destroyed an alfa 147 driver last night who was laughing at me at a junction. i took almost a mile out of him over about six miles. slowed down to let him catch up though just so i could laugh at him. think he might look at clio s differently from now on!!!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
My housemate (im at uni) took the piss out of me for having a clio, until I asked him what he drove

"my mums polo, when i'm at home"

yeh. good one :D

Renault ChaVio
An 172 with an after market exhaust and some lowered dampers showing up BMW M3s and Lotus Elises? Dreamer.

Back to the real world, I had the same conversation in a pub today following a nutty drive down to the South Coast with some TVRs (and other stuff). The passenger from one of them (who looked about 13!) started going on about how much he liked my car and how I had bought the 'man version'. Apparently all the other's are women's cars? Spent a few minutes highlighting the unisex qualities of the faster Clios and how Colin Chapman's lightweight principles were alive and well in these little cars – don't think it went in but I did try.

172cup
with regards to the term "showing-up"... i don't think i've ever "shown someone up". I have won a few... and lost a few.

With regards to M3's.... i have kept up with more than a few, and been faster than some. Elise's... don't seem anywhere near as fast TBH, (except to 60 from 0) say what you will. Wouldn't even try an exige though lol.

MINI JCW
blaze said:
Who's the muppet that thinks a 230 kompressor is faster than any RS Clio. They have far too much weight and not enough power,

I think some of you/friends are too pub talk orientated. Power/weight calculations are the simplest and dare I say most reliable way of giving straight line acceleration to certain speeds.

The Clio will potentially loose out over 120 as it's like driving a brick. (anyway it's not it's purpose). Slippery cars can have naff acceleration yet a higher top speed. Does it mean its a faster car. Nope, the basic Elise, VX220 will prove the point.

Why oh why is everyone trying to compare a piece of cheese to a piece of chalk.

I feel sorry for the 230Komp. fan club. Any RSClio will not only out do it on acceleration, but the handling is even further apart. Just because it has a lower drag coefficient and a very slightly higher top end means nought.

There are a few people that understand power to weight gives acceleration only up to the point where drag/power stiffles the cars ability to go any faster.

Torque is not accelerative just the ability to pull harder.

It's a shame that people have never been able to differentiate the two. Why do you think a huge amount of diesel torque can never match raw BHP. It comes in wads with no time to exploit.

Boys don't come back with "yes, but if you get a remap". So what, like for like only. After all it's the ONLY way to compare

We've had comments that rate torque as an accelerative force.
, why? If that was so then why do CTR's and other highly stung cars obliterate the diesels? w*nk!!! to mags. The in gear accelation is done in top gear, but why would a RS Clio driver be in 5th at 50 to accelerate to 70, or 70 to 100. You should learn your cars and exploit their strenghts. 3rd for the first or 4th for the second question. If you drive any RS for 40mpg then forget it. It's a highly strung car. Why OH OH OH why do you want to drive them if you feel torque is the answer.

Remember they only use highest gearing for these tests. Can no one realise the RS is a high reving beast and all high revers will be the same. The CTR has the same BHP/TON yet less TORQUE/TON. This of course ignorses the fact the tests are done on basic cars without the drag of A/C.

See ya

Blaze

So true, I have heard people talk about the BMW 330d being faster than the 330ci, its simply not true as long as the 330ci is in the correct gear it is faster in whichever test you want to perform 0-60, 0-100, 30-70 etc

Same with the 172/182 if you are in the right gear you are fine!

A Beautiful R32
muffs said:
i destroyed an alfa 147 driver last night who was laughing at me at a junction. i took almost a mile out of him over about six miles. slowed down to let him catch up though just so i could laugh at him. think he might look at clio s differently from now on!!!!

psmfl... naughty, very naughty. People just don't know how quick clio sports are though do they? I gotta say I'm very refrained, I don't bite when people try to race, I just let them go. It's dangerous and you can get sent to jail for it. It's weird though, everyone in a scooby or a type-r gives me loads of room and never tries it on. However every c*ck in a M3/M5, Audi S3 or Golf Gti tries to get up my arse. Don't think the clocks in their cars can work as they're always trying to read mine... tossers. I normally just look 'em in the eyes and say "w-a-n-k-e-r" with the appropriate sign language. :rasp:

The way I see it is that no-one who knows cars takes the piss out of a 182 or 172. If they do they're obviously clueless muppets. If they do start taking the piss, I just say, "put it this way, my car is nearly as fast as a Porsche Boxter" - that normally shuts 'em up.

Renault ChaVio
Davey182 said:
The way I see it is that no-one who knows cars takes the piss out of a 182 or 172. If they do they're obviously clueless muppets. If they do start taking the piss, I just say, "put it this way, my car is nearly as fast as a Porsche Boxter" - that normally shuts 'em up.

"My car is nearly as fast as a Porsche Boxster"!!???
PMSFL

I had a 182 trying its luck one night last week. It didn't stand a chance – it couldn't even stay close to the V6; off the lights, down the straights, around a series of roundabouts. Slowed down twice for him to catch up. The driver seemed a good guy, up for a bit of fun. Don't think he was under the same illusion that his front wheel drive 182 was one of the fastest cars out there.

A Beautiful R32
I said nearly... And I said Porsche Boxter, not Porsche Boxter S... figures to 60 are pretty close. I never said it would beat one either, so read it next time yeah? Where did I say I thought my car is one of the fastest out there? Did I eh? It just gives the 'lay' person a rough idea how fast the 182 is. That's all... i have no "illusions" full stop...

mk1 phase 3
dick said:
lol just checked, turns out all 3 of us are wrong, hearse!

i knew ther deffo wernt a t in it tho!

well we all look like idiots!

but u called me for getting it wrong, then you got it wrong :clown: ;)

yeah, i best go and read a dictionary

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Guys at my work love my car they all have mad motors as well
Lots of porsche's / Scooooob's and Cooper S works also.
never had anystick they keel asking for a drive of it :D and I drivers also :p

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I Kill Boxter S' and 911's upto (J-Reg, then they bolted on big turbos- Booo) - Just not in my 172! lol

As for the 330 /M3 thing, My mate has a 330 CI and the 172 Keeps up until 4th gear (100 mph) straight line, After that you can kiss the Beema goodbye no hope of keeping up with it! Im a bit quicker through the twisties this is mainly to do with the better gear ratios and longer rev range and possibly my Kahunas! Keeps with a Boxter, Gets owned by an Elise (any Elise 111s to sport 190 in any test)

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
When people think of the Clio they think of the million 1.2's out there driven by old people etc (few exceptions). They don't realise there are different models etc.

Mr2 Roadster
I'd be embarrised to have feel like I had to explain I had a 2.0l clio.

I just say clio, I have nothing to prove.

If they ask what it is I just say I can't remember.