ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

BG Clio 182
Funny you mention that @Bear Head, I was after a similar question.

How do people rate auto finesse power seal? I quite fancy it as I like applying LSP via machine.

Doe

I've found AF 2 to be adequate for removing light-medium swirls. And They're quite dusty polishes ime. Regarding the 'blobs' though, are you removing excess polish as you go?
Yeah right I obviously prepped the car and onto the polishing stage. Pad 1 polish 1. I primed the pad and worked a bit of polish into the pad to saturate it a little. Spray or two of water onto the panel as I expected dusting and then just masses and masses of dusting and blobs sticking to the pad and everything. Made an awesome job of the car but the dusting was mental, almost like it shouldn't have been doing it :/

Ah. I reckon i shall nip them out with it then. It's from vigorous drying im sure as she was swirl-less a month ago haha.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Maybe just mist the pad with water/prime rather than saturating it with polish?

The damp polish inside the pad may be acting as a bonding agent for the dust, so it goes clumpy... Kind of like making wood filler from sawdust and glue... But with polish lol

BG Clio 182
Maybe just mist the pad with water/prime rather than saturating it with polish?

The damp polish inside the pad may be acting as a bonding agent for the dust, so it goes clumpy... Kind of like making wood filler from sawdust and glue... But with polish lol
Ah got you mate. I will do then haha, I was watching the guy on YouTube this master b*****d and he said about rubbing product into the pad lol. Larry Cosilla on Drive Clean or Ammo NYC does it also haha so meh. Lol.

So do you just prime the pad and then straight in just a little blob of polish on the pad and you're away?

Haha I remember doing that at school haha making filler like that haha. Looks okay if you're not a r****d. I remember this spaz using a mahogany dust from a sander with his pine thinking it'd look the same colour. Looked a right wanker when he'd done.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ah got you mate. I will do then haha, I was watching the guy on YouTube this master b*****d and he said about rubbing product into the pad lol. Larry Cosilla on Drive Clean or Ammo NYC does it also haha so meh. Lol.

So do you just prime the pad and then straight in just a little blob of polish on the pad and you're away?

Haha I remember doing that at school haha making filler like that haha. Looks okay if you're not a r****d. I remember this spaz using a mahogany dust from a sander with his pine thinking it'd look the same colour. Looked a right wanker when he'd done.

I'm not saying you're doing it incorrectly, that was just the first thing I thought of when I read your problem.

Yeah I prime the pad, put a few drops of polish on, Polish away then add another blob or two if need be as I go.

Lol, I can see his logic. "they're both wood"

BG Clio 182
I'm not saying you're doing it incorrectly, that was just the first thing I thought of when I read your problem.

Yeah I prime the pad, put a few drops of polish on, Polish away then add another blob or two if need be as I go.

Lol, I can see his logic. "they're both wood"
Haha yeah I know mate yeah probably right tbh. So ill just prime then a few spots then yeah in there like swimwear lol.

Haha yeah he was a thick t**t. Used to shout things in class and randomly destroy things because he thought it was funny.

He now welds on power stations, has a brand new audi a5, 3 year old a4 convertible and a 3.2 TT. c**t. Who needs 50k a year when they live at home. At 20. Who.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Haha yeah I know mate yeah probably right tbh. So ill just prime then a few spots then yeah in there like swimwear lol.

Haha yeah he was a thick t**t. Used to shout things in class and randomly destroy things because he thought it was funny.

He now welds on power stations, has a brand new audi a5, 3 year old a4 convertible and a 3.2 TT. c**t. Who needs 50k a year when they live at home. At 20. Who.

I work with one of those. The tosser came and hit a length of bar with a hammer, bending it so it couldn't be used?! But did he get disciplined? Naah. t**t.

That lad sounds like he's doing well for himself lol!

BG Clio 182
I work with one of those. The tosser came and hit a length of bar with a hammer, bending it so it couldn't be used?! But did he get disciplined? Naah. t**t.

That lad sounds like he's doing well for himself lol!
Haha. Some proper Penors I used to know. They get pleasure out of stupidity and breaking s**t. You do laugh when they do it because you just can't believe what they're doing and how thick they are but that lack of brain cells tickles you a but doesn't it haha.

Yep. He earns 1k a week. Honestly does. f**king irritates me lol. I'm not jealous just why him haha. It was funny though when he in his brand new 2.0 turbo diesel couldn't keep up with me over the bypass in a 10 year old clio lol. He looked well pissed because he had his b**ch in with him haha.

BG Clio 182
My Fiancee has bought a brand new corsa.

Would you machine polish it? Could you even tell? or should I just wash and protect?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

Would you machine polish it? Could you even tell? or should I just wash and protect?
No, I'd just sell it.

Kidding :)

I'm really impressed with AF revive. Also tried a rain repelent sample from "BD." Works ok above 30mph, but we'll see how long it lasts. Their air freshener spray is w**k.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Does it need machine polishing, would filling or glazing be suitable? Does your fiancée even car if it's any more than just clean?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nipped into sainsburys on the way to work, couldnt see the fairy stuff anywhere. So I picked up some Cillit Bang, as one does. I've read people have used that, may aswell give it a blast, lol

BG Clio 182
Does it need machine polishing, would filling or glazing be suitable? Does your fiancée even car if it's any more than just clean?
Yeah lol! there's a couple if swirls from a dealer wash but other than that not really. I just wondered if it's going to add anything at all to the finish as I've never touched a new car before. It's electric red and I have black hole I don't know if this glaze would be suitable? would it add any depth to it? I've also got triple etc

BG Clio 182
No, I'd just sell it.

Kidding :)

I'm really impressed with AF revive. Also tried a rain repelent sample from "BD." Works ok above 30mph, but we'll see how long it lasts. Their air freshener spray is w**k.
You been in a 2015 corsa? ;) far from the older ones. Very nice inside haha.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
How often do you clay? Every polish and wax?

My car does 5k per year and is parked in the garage 99% of the time.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How often do you clay? Every polish and wax?

My car does 5k per year and is parked in the garage 99% of the time.
You shouldn't need to clay often at all. Do it once, and then regular proper maintainance should prevent the need to.
Your paint is soft as s**t so I'd be very VERY wary of doing it more than absolutely necessary.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You shouldn't need to clay often at all. Do it once, and then regular proper maintainance should prevent the need to.
Your paint is soft as s**t so I'd be very VERY wary of doing it more than absolutely necessary.

That's exactly what I want to hear brother (from another mother).

I last waxed it in September with 2 coats of Desire. Is it worth re-polishing (with rejuvenate) or would you be inclined to go straight for another coat of wax?

PS hope the mrs is ok x

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mrs is dog rough! Hopefully coming home tomorrow though...

Tbh mate, I'm not really the one to ask with maintainence stuff. I never keep cars long enough to worry about that! Lol

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Mrs is dog rough! Hopefully coming home tomorrow though...

Tbh mate, I'm not really the one to ask with maintainence stuff. I never keep cars long enough to worry about that! Lol

Haha cheers anyway mate, your opinion is always wanted.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Haha cheers anyway mate, your opinion is always wanted.

I never thought I'd hear that.

Regarding re polishing etc.

If the wax has died off and there's contamination on the car (tar, iron, stuff like that) then you'd be best decontaminating, polishing (only if necessary), cleansing then waxing.

If the wax is still alright and there's no contamination, I'd just give it a once over with a spray lsp, everyone rates carpro reload, there's another one I forgot and then there's auto finesse glisten.

Give it a wash, spray with something like the above, then buff off.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I never thought I'd hear that.

Regarding re polishing etc.

If the wax has died off and there's contamination on the car (tar, iron, stuff like that) then you'd be best decontaminating, polishing (only if necessary), cleansing then waxing.

If the wax is still alright and there's no contamination, I'd just give it a once over with a spray lsp, everyone rates carpro reload, there's another one I forgot and then there's auto finesse glisten.

Give it a wash, spray with something like the above, then buff off.

FLOL @ the first comment.

Cool mate...

Think I might go with the following (I've got a day to kill)?

Wash
Autosmart Tardis arch and sills
Wash
Gtechniq Fallout
Wash
AF Rejuvenate
AF Desire

Sound any good?

I'll then stock up with glisten and give it a machine polish this summer...

It still needs to go in for the front end spray :(

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Cool mate...

Wash
Wash
Gtechniq Fallout
Wash
AF Rejuvenate
AF Desire

Sound any good?

It still needs to go in for the front end spray 😧

Yup, although I'd just rinse the tar remover off before applying the iron remover

Pm the dipping lab for a spray quote, they do a great job and are well priced.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yup, although I'd just rinse the tar remover off before applying the iron remover

Pm the dipping lab for a spray quote, they do a great job and are well priced.

Will do fella, where are they based?

Is two coats of desire wasting product?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Cool mate...

Wash
Wash
Gtechniq Fallout
Wash
AF Rejuvenate
AF Desire

Sound any good?

It still needs to go in for the front end spray 😧

As per Knuckles. just rinse after Tardis unless claying, fallout will be reet. 2 coats of desire will be fine, if you have time then an hour, if not just start again after finishing the final panel.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Will do fella, where are they based?

Is two coats of desire wasting product?

In Crewe, right by the train station

I would always rinse after tardis even when claying. Made that mistake once and it ruined my clay bar LOL!

You should wash after Tardis if you intend to clay. Just to make sure it's all removed with the sudsy goodness.

...TARdis, rinse, fallout, wash really.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yup years ago I ruined a Claybar by rinsing and not washing.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
In Crewe, right by the train station

You should wash after Tardis if you intend to clay. Just to make sure it's all removed with the sudsy goodness.

...TARdis, rinse, fallout, wash really.

Star mate...

How long do you normally leave Tardis and Fallout to dwell before removing?

5 mins per panel?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Star mate...

How long do you normally leave Tardis and Fallout to dwell before removing?

5 mins per panel?

I did a little write up on them in their section if you'd like an idea of their work.

Erm, just until it works really.

If it's quite bad (which it usually is as I'm lazy) I'll spray it, leave it to dwell and go around with the bottle and a microfibre to agitate/wipe away the more stubborn bits. Then pressure wash off.