ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Brilliant, thank you so much.

What's the spot pad used for?

They are basically 3" versions of the red,orange and yellow pads that come with the kit so ideal for correcting small areas like mirrors/pillars etc.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
They are basically 3" versions of the red,orange and yellow pads that come with the kit so ideal for correcting small areas like mirrors/pillars etc.

You sir are a proper gent :)

No doubt I'll be posting more questions later.

Thank you.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Have you bought revitalise kit? It comes with all the polishes pads etc and a brush. And pad prime iirc.

What car do you have now Al?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Have you bought revitalise kit? It comes with all the polishes pads etc and a brush. And pad prime iirc.

What car do you have now Al?

Sorry mate, I meant I already have/use (albeit by hand) rejuvenate and desire not the revitalise kit. I was planning on buying it with the DA. Do I need anything in addition? Good move?

I've still got the grey s2k fella

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427313667.481640.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1427313667.481640.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry mate, I meant I already have/use (albeit by hand) rejuvenate and desire not the revitalise kit. I was planning on buying it with the DA. Do I need anything in addition? Good move?

I've still got the grey s2k fella
When you say in addition it really depends how involved you are at the moment detailing wise.

For polishing the revitalise kit and a DA should be all you'll need to start. Although I'll be honest. I reckon you could correct your car with some lime Prime, white hex pad and the DA. S2000's are like butter soft. As are most Honda and Asian stuff.

If it's for your own car I reckon the kit might be overkill.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
When you say in addition it really depends how involved you are at the moment detailing wise.

For polishing the revitalise kit and a DA should be all you'll need to start. Although I'll be honest. I reckon you could correct your car with some lime Prime, white hex pad and the DA. S2000's are like butter soft. As are most Honda and Asian stuff.

If it's for your own car I reckon the kit might be overkill.

Interesting mate...if I go for the revitiliser kit i'm guessing I can start at the least aggressive compound before moving onto the more aggressive compound if required?

My car has previously been sprayed down one side and boot area. Is this something I need to be concerned about when polishing?

Sorry if I keep asking stupid questions, I'm keen to learn rather than pay for someone else to do something that I know I'd really enjoy.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Interesting mate...if I go for the revitiliser kit i'm guessing I can start at the least aggressive compound before moving onto the more aggressive compound if required?

My car has previously been sprayed down one side and boot area. Is this something I need to be concerned about when polishing?

Sorry if I keep asking stupid questions, I'm keen to learn rather than pay for someone else to do something that I know I'd really enjoy.

Course, that's the beauty of the AF kit for a hobbiest, It's fool proof! You could start with the red pad (finishing pad) and number 3 compound and see what correction is achieved. If you aren't happy, work backwards through the pads/compounds.

What Gally is saying is, if you are only bothered about correcting the S2K you could probably get decent results with an abrasive cleanser and a pad which would cost you £20 as apposed to £75 for the Revitalise kit.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Spend the rest of the cash elsewhere. Nice wax, sealant. Plastic sealant. Window sealant etc. Revitalise kit is still ideal for DA users learning to correct.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Guys,

I'll be detailing the Volvo when the weather gets a little warmer...

image.jpg

...recommend me a sealant/wax for this colour!

I'm a tight arse so only looking to spend £40ish max.

Longevity is a big bonus, but I'd like something that will bring out the flake in the sun.

The only wax I own is Meg's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Just to add a little more info to my post above, the car will obviously be washed, clayed, polished by DA and then a coat of Prima Amigo.

Just looking for a nice wax/sealant to top it off.

Been looking at Britemax Vantage, Bouncer's 22 and Bilt Hamber Finis.

Never used a sealant before, any recommendations on one?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
In a week or two I was hoping to machine polish my car. What i dont have and have never used is any of the decontamination sprays that a lot of you guys use before claying. Can you recommend some products to buy for this , not fussed on cost as I quite enjoy cleaning the car.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
In a week or two I was hoping to machine polish my car. What i dont have and have never used is any of the decontamination sprays that a lot of you guys use before claying. Can you recommend some products to buy for this , not fussed on cost as I quite enjoy cleaning the car.

Iron X and Tardis is what I've always used before claying the car.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/carpro-iron-x-500ml/prod_726.html

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis-cat6.html

Reactions: Gus

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As per above. Both top of the tree as far as their respective categories are concerned.

Reactions: Gus

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just to add a little more info to my post above, the car will obviously be washed, clayed, polished by DA and then a coat of Prima Amigo.

Just looking for a nice wax/sealant to top it off.

Been looking at Britemax Vantage, Bouncer's 22 and Bilt Hamber Finis.

Never used a sealant before, any recommendations on one?
Longevity go for finis wax, it's phenomenal at lasting the pace and against harsh products.

Vantage is nicer to use and imo a nicer finish but may not last quite as long. Wax is a loose term these days. Finis is a hybrid wax, like AGHD and collinites. Vantage is more a Caranuba based wax so naturally won't last quite as long. Trade off a lot of the time is finish and ease of use vs durability.

For a work horse, i'd go for 2 layers of finis wax and hour apart.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Guys,

I'll be detailing the Volvo when the weather gets a little warmer...

View attachment 124627

...recommend me a sealant/wax for this colour!

I'm a tight arse so only looking to spend £40ish max.

Longevity is a big bonus, but I'd like something that will bring out the flake in the sun.

The only wax I own is Meg's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax.

Difficult choice in that price category as there are so many good waxes.

For me, it would be a toss up between Britemax Vantage or ValetPro Beading Marvellous.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No but white spirit will remove tar, rather expensive is it not?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No the only reason I ask is I've received some tardis and it smells similar to white spirit?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone recommend an easy to use DARK wax i can use on a white car. Fed up of not being able to see where ive waxed and where i havent using a white wax :(

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone recommend an easy to use DARK wax i can use on a white car. Fed up of not being able to see where ive waxed and where i havent using a white wax :(

Just work at an angle... Keep your eye looking down the panel rather than directly at it?
That's how I do it anyway.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't really work that way dude. 2 layers and be thorough.

Also wipe down with a QD to help remove all wax well.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Could any of you guys tell me what is going on with my windscreen?

I had it replaced about 6 weeks ago and ever since fitting it's had 3 large patches that don't seem to bead the water. The water just sits on the windscreen.. I've tried IPA inside and out, W4 polish etc but nothing shifts them.

16334691083_d538fdd5b1_c.jpg
Glass by Lawro1988, on Flickr

16334690853_4b670839ec_c.jpg
Glass by Lawro1988, on Flickr

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
IPA and some wire wool. It's my go to process for getting anything off glass.

I was considering that as my last resort so I will give it a bash mate.

If not, I will call them back and get them to sort it as it drives me mad.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm definitely not a wiper issue? It looks like a contact patch from where the wiper is catching the sealant. Have you re sealed it a few times and it does the same?

Could be something that has landed on it? Strange that the sealant wouldn't bond with the glass in certain places.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if their supreme pad would be good. Blue or Black hex also would be good. I found it dried quickly so plenty of prime or a damp pad.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Hmmm definitely not a wiper issue? It looks like a contact patch from where the wiper is catching the sealant. Have you re sealed it a few times and it does the same?

Could be something that has landed on it? Strange that the sealant wouldn't bond with the glass in certain places.

Yeah tried 3 times now mate.. I resealed it on Monday didn't drive it so the wipers haven't been switched on at all and when it rained today it was exactly the same.

The wipers were brand new at the time of replacing the screen too.

Completely miffed by it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah tried 3 times now mate.. I resealed it on Monday didn't drive it so the wipers haven't been switched on at all and when it rained today it was exactly the same.

The wipers were brand new at the time of replacing the screen too.

Completely miffed by it.
It will be the storage/transport cups I expect.
We get them at work but in all fairness they do die down over time. (On the demonstrators that I see every day)

Oddly though, some are much worse than others. I can see no logical explantIon for that.