ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

You boil regular water in the kettle to get de ionized.
Incorrect. You're thinking of distilled. And even then, only the steam is distilled. The water in the kettle is sterilised.
Deionised water comes from ion exchange.
Just to really confuse things, you can also get RO or reverse osmosis water, where water is "pulled" through a membrane to remove larger particles.
Or if you have a condensing dryer, use the water that it collects underneath
Again, nope. For the reasons above.

I am a novice at this so be kind please :smiley:
the way i washed mine last was:
Deamon foam wash all the dirt off with one sponge
wash with a bucket and a different sponge
dry with a cloth
wax with a microfiber cloth

anything else i should do/use

problem i have i can never get the windows perfect. do i wash them with the soapy water? or separately after

Ah okay. What's the issue with using deionised water to do the ipa wipedown? Is it really necessary?
There isn't an issue, it's advised.
IPA tends to come in it's purest form (about 97%). There is simply no need for this level of concentration, so people water it down. However, standard water out of the tap will leave spotting. RO/DI water contains fewer/no impurities and thus does not leave "water marks".

Buy it, they call it Battery Top-Up water at Halfords :smile: like £2 for 5L.

Interesting, when I applied Hydro2 on the weekend, I used way too much, still couldn't get it to mark.

Reload on the other hand...

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Rinse car well leaving the panels nice and wet. Apply hydr02 sparingly. Then initial rinse typically works it round the paint before being rinsed off the panels

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Plenty of RDS left but getting a bit of clarity on my knackered paintwork

96c630f04349faa45566a4647fb1a6a0.jpg

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
The bonnet is done and that's it for today [emoji17]
Hoping for good weather tomorrow so I can try and at least get some sort of correction and LSP down.

BG Clio 182
The bonnet is done and that's it for today [emoji17]
Hoping for good weather tomorrow so I can try and at least get some sort of correction and LSP down.
Haha just done my mates yesterday. Took forever. Had been done by some imbecile with a rotary and knackered it!! Took 2 passes with autofinesse 1 and still not perfect but without a PDG I was a little apprehensive haha.

BG Clio 182
a1c080b2c7f00d9e3bbb01131c6b5f70.jpg

Polished this a good 2 months ago now and still looking good. Epic Fleck in these cars too the red really shines gold in even normal light never mind such bright sunshine.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Another -

170c219728fbbf3c7e47c3c5a62472c0.jpg

Was pushed for time so had to finish it a bit quickly, Eraser wipe down and Britemax Vantage applied.

0b3ca47d4b78889fcc10ebda33f5883e.jpg

e45b7e894aed946ecd4167bee9ab609d.jpg

e2798edf3989b1e10f5bef0d2efb4318.jpg

Will definitely strip it all back and go over it again once the evenings draw out a bit more but I'm happy for now.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome work mate! What correction process? Love Vantage, as per my recent detail also.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work mate! I love Vantage, such a nice wax for the money!

Cheers.... It's only a sample pot and the first time I've used it, God it spread beautifully, Will be buying a full size pot.

Awesome work mate! What correction process? Love Vantage, as per my recent detail also.

I just used Green Hex Logic with Menzerna 2400 using the Zenith?? technique, Modt of the car only had one pass, First time I've actually gone for correction so took it steady, Seemed to be able to work it for ages.

You look like Jesus in that reflection.

Not the Lord and saviour, our jesus.
Don't know whether that's a good thing, I'm guessing he's properly handsome ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. Hydro is almost designed as a top up. It just so happens it'll last longer than some waxes. I would personally go with Hydro if it's a stop gap. Reload is more a standalone spray sealant.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Thanks Gally...

Just noticed this DA is on sale...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-21e-dual-action-polisher/prod_1391.html

Good bit of kit or would a DAS6 Pro Plus be better?

Any key differences?

The only difference between the 2 is the ProPlus features a 15mm throw and the DAS21e a 21mm throw.

Personally if you are looking for a standalone machine neither of these are a particularly good choice IMO. The reason being, 15/21mm throw restricts you from focusing on isolated and tight areas of bodywork.

Don't get me wrong, alongside a DAS6 Pro for example it's brilliant as they are great on large panels but as a hobbiest I can't really see why anyone would buy a machine that can't cover all bases myself.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The only difference between the 2 is the ProPlus features a 15mm throw and the DAS21e a 21mm throw.

Personally if you are looking for a standalone machine neither of these are a particularly good choice IMO. The reason being, 15/21mm throw restricts you from focusing on isolated and tight areas of bodywork.

Don't get me wrong, alongside a DAS6 Pro for example it's brilliant as they are great on large panels but as a hobbiest I can't really see why anyone would buy a machine that can't cover all bases myself.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

What would be the ideal machine for a hobbiest? Something that can be used with the Auto Finesse paint correction system?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It really depends what you're using it for. The AF system is aimed towards DA anyway, I personally much prefer the DAS6 pro to the bigger throw ones like the big foot et al.

For a hobbyist, I personally recommend a Das6 Pro. You can correct with the correct technique but also glas and cleanse much easier. Something I love the DA for.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

What would be the ideal machine for a hobbiest? Something that can be used with the Auto Finesse paint correction system?

Me and Gally are basically on the same wavelength here.. If you want a DA under £200, DAS6 Pro is the clear choice IMO! I wouldn't consider anything else.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Brilliant, will get one ordered tonight.

Any idea which pads would be best used with the AF system? Sorry it's probably a stupid question.

Primary products used will be AF system, Revitilise and Desire.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Brilliant, will get one ordered tonight.

Any idea which pads would be best used with the AF system? Sorry it's probably a stupid question.

Primary products used will be AF system, Revitilise and Desire.

No problem!

Probably be best off sticking to the AF pads as they are designed to work with the compounds in the Revitalise kit and just order yourself some spot pads and backing plate.

Could always chuck an AF Supreme pad into the mix too, ideal for applying pre-wax cleansers.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
No problem!

Probably be best off sticking to the AF pads if you are using the Revitalise kit and just order yourself some spot pads and backing plate.

Could always chuck an AF Supreme pad into the mix too, ideal for applying pre-wax cleansers.

Brilliant, thank you so much.

What's the spot pad used for?