ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I did a little write up on them in their section if you'd like an idea of their work.

Erm, just until it works really.

If it's quite bad (which it usually is as I'm lazy) I'll spray it, leave it to dwell and go around with the bottle and a microfibre to agitate/wipe away the more stubborn bits. Then pressure wash off.

Cheers mate you're a star.

Do you have any experience of Swissvax and Zymol products?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That's really kind matey, will let you know when I'm done with my current wax, still got a fair bit left :)

How you getting on with the GP?
Wheels are off, in the middle of refurbing them, big BIG pile of parts to fit, get the bonnet and bumper painted then it's back on the road.
Then I'll sell it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How you doing the wheels Dan? Paint them then diamond cut?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How you doing the wheels Dan? Paint them then diamond cut?
Wet flat the whole wheel, Painting them gloss black, then wet flat the silver, then autosol the silver.
We did a trial wheel and it looks f**king awesome.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
With the better weather today I finally had a chance to use my pot of Zymol Carbon today.

Very impressed. Such a lovely wax to use, easy on and off, and it seems to have given my the flake in my paint an extra pop. Very nice smelling too!

Can't wait to see it in beading/sheeting action.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Cleaned my ST for the first time this year today. My god, it was grubby.

No sign of any protection at all, embarracing tbh.

Sealed the wheels with tough coat, figured that would last longer than poorboys wheel sealant.

Will TC the car tomorrow, then some Illusion, as its 'summer' now.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Cleaned my ST for the first time this year today. My god, it was grubby.

No sign of any protection at all, embarracing tbh.

Sealed the wheels with tough coat, figured that would last longer than poorboys wheel sealant.

Will TC the car tomorrow, then some Illusion, as its 'summer' now.
Ryan that is terrible haha

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Ryan that is terrible haha

I was half proud, which makes it worse! I guess as I know this wont be a long term car, I didnt bother keeping on top of it. Still, will look nice again once I've finished tomorrow. Not worth taking pictures, chances are if you look out of your window you'll see 3 or 4 drive passed!

(And other ST drivers dont wave or even nod! b******s)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I was half proud, which makes it worse! I guess as I know this wont be a long term car, I didnt bother keeping on top of it. Still, will look nice again once I've finished tomorrow. Not worth taking pictures, chances are if you look out of your window you'll see 3 or 4 drive passed!

(And other ST drivers dont wave or even nod! b******s)
Likewise ive been a bit lazy cleaning during the winter ry. What are you looking at getting next? Well have to catch up soon

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
SRP imo, it also has light abrasives so will leave a better finish on worse paint.

So ive got the DA and the AF system on its way. What do I do to the car first to get rid of everything that's on it?
My plan is to strip the paintwork of wax etc and do a panel a time on the DA for as close to 100% as I can finishing at the bumper to remove stone chips with a bit of wet sanding.

@gally or anyone that uses it really, once the paint is up to a good standard what sort of prep is it for the sealant like gtechniq?

BG Clio 182
So ive got the DA and the AF system on its way. What do I do to the car first to get rid of everything that's on it?
My plan is to strip the paintwork of wax etc and do a panel a time on the DA for as close to 100% as I can finishing at the bumper to remove stone chips with a bit of wet sanding.

@gally or anyone that uses it really, once the paint is up to a good standard what sort of prep is it for the sealant like gtechniq?
You want to wash, decontaminate and clay ideally. Then polish using pad 2 and polish 2 and go to 1 if you need it. Excellent kit.

Decontaminate with ironx and the likes or with Isopropyl alcohol? I keep reading about that but don't know where to get it.

Also polish residue best thing to get rid rather than mask?

Clio with a body kit
Ipa isnt going to decontaminate. It's for removing oils and polish during the polishing process to show you what's left underneath and for a final wipe down. I use carpro eraser rather than ipa so I don't have to worry with dilution ratios.
Iron x will remove metal particles embedded in your paintwork.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Wash
Wheel etc
Tardis properly
Wash
Clay
Rinse
De-iron
Rinse or re snowfoam etc
Dry
Mask
Polish
Ipa all over
LSP

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The ipa or double wipe down is imperitive if you're using a ceramic sealant like C1, Exo, Cquartz etc. Or Canocoat/Reload/C2v3.

The last 3 can be used over glazes etc but if the paint is spot on you won't need a glaze or similar so IPA to give the best possible base.

Clio with a body kit
What are people using on leather? Iv got a set of seats I wanna clean and protect and Iv not got any experience with any products.

BG Clio 182
What are people using on leather? Iv got a set of seats I wanna clean and protect and Iv not got any experience with any products.
I personally use autoglym leather cleaner and then their feed. Smells lovely and gives a really good nourishment

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Glinton cleaner is one of the best. Ignore mils and conditioners all leather needs is cleaned. If you're protecting it use a new leather guard not a conditioner.

Lots of really good cleaners out there. LTT are probably the industries best leather carers but plenty of automotive alternatives.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Guys help me out!
I've been asked by my boss to do a proper good spoof up of his best mates car. I've got it Saturday morning.
The thing is, I have to do it in work and because the valet bays are in the body shop, nothing can have silicon in it.

I've just about sorted all my kit but I want an all in one polish. SRP is my go to product for quick bling but it's loaded with silicon.

Is triple silicon free?? If not, what can you recommend?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't think SRP had silicon in it. My boss has used it before and he's usually very careful. I don't think Tripple has but could be wrong. Quick email to AF in order or ask on DW.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Gave the Megane a wash yesterday, The state of the paintwork is terrible. Swirls galore and the worst thing is i have zero motivation or inclination to sort it out :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The better weather breeds motivation.

Leave it with me for a few days. I'll sort it out I told you. ;)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Suppose it's best to ask in here rather than create a thread. Are there any reputable companies around MK for a good correction detail?
I would rather leave it with a company that has their own unit etc, not someone who does it on their driveway as a hobby, lol. :tonguewink:

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
The better weather breeds motivation.

Leave it with me for a few days. I'll sort it out I told you. :wink:

I will do eventually mate, Honest!

Just need to find the time, Only downside to doing Agency/Relief work is I'm all over the place.

Once i get my wheels refurb'd and callipers done ill organise getting it to you for a few days ;)

Need to put all this into a box, something that isn't massive and can be put into the car with no effort. What's everyone using?

3e4ec7100a452ff971b6392f5b81b0e0.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just go into Wilkos or similar bargain store and get a big container with folding lid. They're like £6 or so. I've had 3 of them for years and not one has failed.

The PW obviously you would keep in the box and store in the car.