ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Danny's Stupid Apple Questions Thread.

Bus w**ker
Re: Danny's Stupid Mac Questions Thread.

LOL I love that this thread has been brought back from the depths.

Inferno 182 CUP
Digital iTunes Films

So most blu rays nowadays come with a digital copy ..

My Macbook Air has no CD drive so how the eff am i able to download the copy?

I have a serial code to type into iTunes but it says insert CD first? How and why?!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It does.

MacBook Air, Mac mini: How to use Remote Disc to share DVDs or CDs from a Mac or Windows-based computer

• Last Modified: August 05, 2011
  • Article: HT1777
  • Old Article: 307317

i_email_adv.png

i_print_adv.png

Summary

Learn how to install Remote Disc on a Mac (that has Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later) or Windows-based computer (that has Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later). You can then share CDs or DVDs from your Mac or PC to your MacBook Air or Mac mini via your network.

Products Affected

MacBook Air, Mac mini, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.5, OS X Lion, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista

If you want to use a CD or DVD on a Mac that has no optical drive, such as a MacBook Air or certain Mac minis, you can access the disc via your network from a different Mac or PC by using Remote Disc software.
Note: Avoid pressing the Media Eject key on a Windows computer while an optical disc is in use or is being accessed by a Mac using Remote Disc. Windows will eject the media even if it is in use.
Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later instructions

Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista instructions

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later instructions

Additional Information

Inferno 182 CUP
Mac Minis

Is the 2010 and the 2011 model much different power wise?

I know the 2010 has a CD drive which is preferable to me BUT if the 2011 is leaps and bounds faster then i might opt for that.

I have found a 2011 model brand new base model for £450.

Anybody know where i can get a 2010 model cheap? Ive scoured the net but cant find out!

Inferno 182 CUP
Twelve South Magic Wand?

Has anybody used this to connect a trackpad and keyboard together?

I've just swapped my MBA for an iPad and Mac Mini and now need a keyboard/mouse solution for my lap as its being used with the TV.

Are they any good and worth £17?

Inferno 182 CUP
Help with Plex - IOS & Mac

Hi Gurus,

Im super stuck!

I have downloaded Plex on my Mac Mini conencted to my interwebs via ethernet.

Also paid for the IOS app which says can connect via wifi & 3G.

Anyway just got back to work after setting it up on my Mac and i cannot see the server on my iphone?

I have logmein so i can remote into my mac and fix it but i need help :(

What should i be doing?

Ta!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Re: Help with Plex - IOS & Mac

From the plex site

[h=2]Enabling iOS from outside of your home network[/h]In order to enable your iOS device to use the Plex iOS app to access your media from outside your home network there will typically be three steps required in addition to setting up the iOS device itself: 1) create a static hostname that you will point the Plex iOS app to within the "Settings" section of the Plex iOS app on your iOS device, 2) set up a static IP address for the Mac on which the Plex Media Manager (PMM) is running and 3) port forward port 32400 for the static IP address created in step 2. This section will walk you through all three steps.
1. Setup hostname. While there are many free services available, this wiki will use DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/). This link will enable you to create a free hostname as well as download an the DynDNS Updater (http://www.dyndns.com/support/) which is a an app that resides on the same machine on which your PMM runs that will constantly update DynDNS as to your external IP address. This may be required if your ISP dynamically changes the IP address of your router. If you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you get a static IP address from your ISP, this step is not required.

• a. Click on the first link above.
  • b. Type in a hostname in the space provided (we will use “myownwebsite” for this example)
  • c. Selected a domain from the dropdown box next to the input box (we will use “dyndns-free.com” for this example)
  • d. The “Service Type” is Host with IP Address.
  • e. The site will indicate your current IP address. Click on the hyperlink to fill the box with your current external IP address.
  • f. Click “Add to Cart” at bottom
  • g. Create your DynDNS account
  • h. Download the DynDNS Updater via the second link below, launch it, and input the UserID and Password you created in step g. Don’t worry, it’s a daemon and runs in the background.
  • i. Congrats, this step is done. You now own the web address “myownwebsite.dyndns-free.com”

2. Create your static IP address for Mac on which the PMM is running

• a. For this step, we will assume you are using an Apple product (Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express).
  • b. Open the Airport Utility on your Mac
  • c. Select the Apple router on the left, and click on “Manual Setup”
  • d. Select the “Internet” icon in the top menu
  • e. Select the “DHCP” tab. Click on the “+” at the bottom of the screen
  • g. Type in a Description – this can be whatever you want, for example “Home Theater Mac Mini” or whatever. Click ‘Continue’ (note: the default selection for “Reserve address for” is MAC address).
  • h. In the next screen, type in the Mac’s MAC address, then select the static IP address you are assigning the Mac, for example 10.0.1.40. The address you should select should be anywhere from 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.200. (You can find your MAC address under System Preferences/Network/ and then choose how you are connected to the internet, for example “Ethernet” if wired and “Airport” if wireless. Select advanced and the ID should be available. It is a 12 digit alphanumeric code in a 00:11:22:33:aa:bb:cc format)
  • i. Click “Done”
  • j. DO NOT UPDATE YOUR ROUTER YET – but hey, congrats, you’ve just established a static IP address for your Mac

3. Port Forwarding If you are using a non-Apple router, you can goto www.portforward.com for steps on how to port forward.

• a. Still in the Airport Utility, select “Advanced” at the top
  • b. Select the “Port Mapping” tab
  • c. Click the “+” button
  • d. For both the Public and Private UDP/TCP ports type in “32400”. This means you should type in “32400” 4 times.
  • e. The “Private IP Address” is the static IP you just established in Step 2, for this example is is “10.0.1.40”
  • f. Click “Continue”
  • g. Type in a Description, for example “Plex for iOS”
  • h. Don’t adjust anything else on this popup box and press “Done”
  • i. Now Update your router with these new settings
  • j. Congrats! You’ve just port forwarded!

4. Setting up the iOS device

• a. In the settings screen, select “Add a new server…”
  • b. In the “Friendly Name” box, type in whatever you want…for this example, a logical selection would be “Home Theater Mac Mini” – this lets you know that when selected, you will be using the PMM on your Home Theater Mac Mini.
  • c. Click on “Add a new connection”
  • d. The “Host” is the DynDNS address you established in Step 1, for this example its “myownwebsite.dyndns-free.com”. If however your ISP assigns you a static IP address, and you skipped Step 1, you should instead input your router's static IP address.
  • e. The “Port” is “32400”
  • f. Click “Save”
  • g. If you receive an error stating, "This server appears to be unreachable...", one possibility sometimes has to do with being connected to your local home network over wi-fi, and certain routers' inability to properly direct the flow of information. Try temporarily turning off the wi-fi of your phone long enough to add the server in the app, before re-activating the wi-fi on your phone.
  • h. That’s it, you should be off and running, streaming glorious Plex media content over the internet from outside your home network. So choose this server whenever you are running the Plex iOS app from outside your home network.

Inferno 182 CUP

thank you :)

can i continue to use this server whilst at home in my own network or do i need to make 2 and manually switch each time? PITA if so!

Does the superhub not just set the port forwarding up to the Macs MAC details rather than a specific IP on the network?

Inferno 182 CUP

Come again?

Tell me this in proper r****d speak ..

the Superhub has a port forwarding page if thats what your saying?

Tesla MP3 2021

Can you see an option for DHCP reservation in the SH, it should be under LAN settings or something similar. I have a SH but I use it in Modem only mode so I'm not sure of the setup screen but its really a Netgear so DHCP reservation will be somewhere.

Inferno 182 CUP
Ripping Blu Rays?

Anybody here ripped there Blu Ray collection to there Mac?

If so how?

Ive just bought a 3D BR reader from Amazon and was going to copy my collection to my Mini for HTPC Plexing around the house ..

Anybody know what software i should use? Is it an easy automated process and what file format should i make them into MKV?

Thanks in advance!