ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: 'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

Good to see you all chaps. The fun continues this morning. Great progress made yesterday, I really appreciate all your help.

I'll stick some photos of progress up tonight :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Just got home from Cubs 'domestic dwelling', Bobby J just acoustically abused my neighbours with the Scubaru and now I've realised I will not be getting asleep any time soon!!

Was an awesome day :)

Domestic garage flol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Pic heavy update.

Better get some photos in here documenting what has been a great weekend :)

Firstly, huge thanks to everyone who came over yesterday, was great to catch up. Special thanks to @Budgie and @Nick172Cup for their work on Friday (finished at 1:40 in the morning) and @Rob and @Scrooge who picked up the baton on Saturday :) Also need to thank Scott @Phase1sr for his tools, his steady hand for the stickers and the majority of the grub - 'it is a domestic garage' FLOL, thanks to @Christopher. for cleaning up the induction filter and reassembling it. @Tim. and @Pete. - Top notch BBQ skills. @TheEvilGiraffe thanks for the late night Burblebus soundtrack, the neighbours told me earlier they loved it ;)

So, Friday at 17:00 the fridge looked like this, awaiting Burgess and Herbertez' arrival;

photo18_zpsd3c6c18e.jpg

So the guys arrived and we opened the first of many beers and cracked on getting the engine in, and a huge job list. I don't have photos of everything as I was actually getting me hands dirty at times this weekend :) First up;

- fit Cup Wishbones
- new ball joints
- new track rods
- new track rod ends
- new steering rack bushes

photo2_zpsb59c10b9.jpg

photo4_zps9f273b7f.jpg

photo5_zps12613f64.jpg

We then cracked on with building the engine back up. So this was the water pump. Lovely;

Waterpump_zps5529a824.jpg

waterpump2_zps86d5c83a.jpg

Cleaned up and new waterpump;

waterpump3_zps9a67f096.jpg

waterpump4_zps3b2f8470.jpg

Alternator and aux belt on, spark plugs in;

photo3_zpsd0c63890.jpg

Flywheel on with new bolts, then new clutch on;

photo6_zpsfd3cf1cb.jpg

photo10_zps70744b3e.jpg

photo8_zps9ff12582.jpg

Then the gearbox went on;

photo11_zpse804eaf3.jpg

And into the shell it went;

photo14_zps8bd2c725.jpg

photo13_zps6f7ffd6d.jpg

1:40 and Burgess was happy with his beer efforts;

photo15_zps1251019b.jpg

photo12_zps3fdcf841.jpg

So we called it a day at that point. Onto Saturday, Burgess got up early and started putting the hoses on and sorted the gearbox mounts / engine mounts. I began hunting a bbq out. Mike then left to go and watch Rymans Blue Sq Premier football.

Then lots of people turned up, and Ant, Rob and me started putting the hubs back together, fitted the Ferodo DS3000s, cleaned the Bilsteins up, fitted the PMS Stud and nut kit, the PMS solid top mounts and strut brace and the PMS Shifter. Scott kindly put the OZ Racing stickers on my track wheels and Chris tidied up the Induction kit (which gives you an indication of how unhealthy the engine was and the amount of breathing it was doing.)

We also ate BBQ food and drank more beer.

photo17_zpsa6a04359.jpg

CleanedUpSuspension_zps0e63ae9c.jpg

DirtyOilFilter2_zpsa046b847.jpg

CleanOilFilter2_zps4f39a840.jpg

CleanOilFilter_zps8ba9276f.jpg

CleanOilFilterKit_zps6053bb90.jpg

Wheels_zps604c7089.jpg

TopMounts_zps53337982.jpg

PMS1_zps59b8e3ee.jpg

Interior_zps6251b847.jpg

So a hugely successful and enjoyable weekend, and i'm really grateful for everyones help and support. I'm hoping it will be up and running in a week or so, I need a lower inlet gasket and a new map from Henk, put the nimbus heatshield on, refit the battery and refit the front end, then an MOT :) Currently, it looks like this;

EngineFinal_zps0cebdcfb.jpg

Happy bear :)

Last edited:

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep

Looking good Cub. Last time I saw this was at Silverstone when Tony was racing - as long as I'm thinking of the same car!?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member

They put in a bloody good effort, didn't they?

I can't take any credit for the BBQ, it all goes to Pete, my hero! And thanks too to Scott for the damn tasty burgers (once they'd been properly thawed in the middle), and Rob (?) for the buns, I owe you fellas a couple of beers...

Good day had by all.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Was a fun day indeed! South east photo meet when its all finished ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Flol .. I dont think I went over 1500rpm before I was in Reading !

Good day. 230 miles in the bus thanks to the detour to the unit. Only nearly an entire tank of juice :-/

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

My drive home was eventful, 2 miles from the workshop I got carried away on a really tight roundabout and surged the fuel tank and stupid french thing cut out and wouldn't start for 5 minutes!

I was actually tired from driving it god knows how I am gonna get it to the ring... :/

Your car looked tidy yesterday Rob, Sits on them wheels nicely.

330i. E30 Touring.

Makes such a nice change to have a massive warm garage!

Was almost 2am before i knew it, lol.

The aux belt is routed wrong. It needs to go from the top of the crank to the underneath of the water pump. Routed that way it'll cut into the cambelt cover.

Good progress though :)

Many.

The aux belt is routed wrong. It needs to go from the top of the crank to the underneath of the water pump. Routed that way it'll cut into the cambelt cover.

I thought that too, wouldn't it cause the pump to spin the wrong way too?

Nah the pump still spins the right way (anything on the outside of the belt will still turn the same way) it's not uncommon for it to be routed like that, but as said it cuts into the lower belt cover, frays, into cambelt and boom!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

What's that saying?
pay peanuts - get monkeys?

I guess it's also true:
pay beer - get pissheads

Not the best plan when it comes down to belts. Lol.

Do you want me to pop round tonight or next monday and sort it for you?

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

I'm sure it was a momentary lapse for Mike he was on it until 2am Chip!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I'm sure it was a momentary lapse for Mike he was on it until 2am Chip!

Indeed mate. Im sure post beers and at 2am I could have done far worse, lol.

Wasnt finger pointing or anything, I didnt even know who was doing what job etc as I wasnt there and have only scan read the updates.

No real harm done so long as its not been run like that.

Should be sorted though of course, hence my offer to pop round.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Good spot chaps, in fairness it was the last thing done before it went back in, so 1am ish.

Thanks for the offer chip, Mike is heading around this week so we'll swap it back around :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Good spot chaps, in fairness it was the last thing done before it went back in, so 1am ish.

Thanks for the offer chip, Mike is heading around this week so we'll swap it back around :)

Cool stuff, its a very easy mistake to make, I know cause did it myself once when I first started working on these engines with a cup setup!

330i. E30 Touring.
'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

Schoolboy!

As said mate, will amend when we finish off....

I even remember commenting at the time that it was mighty close to the cover. Thought process is non-existent at 1:30am.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It is mostly my fault as because I was keen to learn so Mike was trying to do it upside down because I was in the way! FLOL :)

TBH you should have just binned the hydraulic steering while you had it in bits and gone EPAS, so much less maintainance longer term!

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep

Rob got the Shiftier in ok then ?

Was a good day Saturday. Hopefully some more to come in the summer, Roll on Wales :)

Sorry I didn't make it over Oli. Sounds like it was a good days work!

Ended up taking advantage of the weather and doing my door cards instead but will have to try n get to the next one, really want to see the flamer taking shape :)

Was a great day and although my mechanical skills stretched as far as cleaning the air filter it was great to lend a hand. Only ended up cooking the burgers because I built the tiny bbq. Looking forward to Wales and seeing the flamer in its natural habitat. Only took a couple of pics so will post them up later.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Update

Pic heavy again I am afraid. Apologies for the quality of some of the photos. Budgie came round last night for another fight with the flamer :) Absolute hero, we got loads done again and it was good to catch up. Car started looking like this;

StartingPoint_zps54188830.jpg

We kicked off proceedings adjusting / rectifying some things. Started with Aux belt, then noticed the driveshaft on the drivers side wasn't through the mount on the underside of the engine so took the hub off and refitted the driveshaft. Then tightened both the Hubs back up and fitted Eibach Camber bolts both sides;

AuxBelt2_zpsb26ff86f.jpg

AuxBelt_zps61dc5a5a.jpg

CamberBolts_zpsdb673309.jpg

We then finished off a few outstanding bits and bobs. Set the PMS shifter up to its final position, and refitted the Cat. Also put the new brake line in on the rear, which will need painting to protect it.

PMSShifterampCAT_zps9ea6fe16.jpg

NewBrakeLine_zpsd29b92be.jpg

Mike then spend some time wrapping himself lovingly around my engine bay via the excuse of 'fitting the lambda'. His love for the car holds no bounds.

ninjaburgessLambda_zpsdbbc0f1b.jpg

ninjaburgessLambda2_zps86f6387d.jpg

I oiled up the filter with the ITG kit.

OiledFilter_zps4486e88d.jpg

Refilled the gearbox with oil combined with the LSD additive i'd got.

GearboxFluid2_zps7f5e1831.jpg

Put the Xenons back in;

Xenons_zpsad282475.jpg

Put the last hoses in, connected some sensors, put in the radiator, the new expansion tank and then filled it up. Building the engine back up, fuel rail and injectors, RS stamped lower inlet with gasket, fuel rail guard and the ECU as well as plugging more sensors back in.

ExpansionTank_zps19b019de.jpg

FuelRailHosesandLeads_zps08a9c412.jpg

GasketandRSlowerInlet_zps3b0df90a.jpg

Bumper went back on. Nice to have a front end again.

Bumperon_zpsa6c4c041.jpg

Bumperon2_zpsac5756a1.jpg

Leads, upper inlet, coil pack, throttle body, battery;

BatteryBracket_zps49601290.jpg

We then tried to fire it up and were greeted with a goosed starter motor. So that needs swapping. Bit disappointing as Mike and I wanted to see it run, but will have to wait until Tuesday. I have a video of it, but can't upload for some reason. Basically the starter solenoid has gone, sounds like a machine gun. We swapped the battery out for Mikes DCi one, helped us narrow it down. Thanks NorthloopCup Chip-mk1 and Dan@SJM for the late night / early morning diagnosis assistance :)

Mike then headed off and I got up this morning to clean the hoses up a bit and do an engine 'mock up' with the induction kit, battery cover and PMS strut brace in place. The cliosport body protector came out aswell. Lol. What a tart;

InletCSProtectMat_zpsb8a94069.jpg

Hoses3_zps2982222c.jpg

Enginemockup_zps3be06353.jpg

So very nearly there;

Final_zps5ce71d5d.jpg

I also used the RS Tuner to read the ECU and bought the license and 98Ron map from Henk earlier today. Hoping it will come through tomorrow / monday. Left to do;

- Swap starter motor
- Remap with the RS Tuner
- Fit wheels
- clean it

Doing this Tuesday of this week. Then off to J-tech Automotive for alignment and geo set up and MOT on Wednesday. Hopefully be on the road driving it Wednesday night. Been a while :)