ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 Front End Restoration

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Restoration? Maybe not the right word. Ignore the state of the place it was a bit messy last week but I hope the pictures speak for themselves about the quality of our work.

No at this stage I would say that the job went from bad to worse, initially it was in for complete stonechip removal and any light repair, as you'll see from the pictures it didn't quite go to plan and an extra 2 days work ensued. I've a good mind to send the bill to the previous bodyshop, utter cowboys.

Now in the ideal world you would replace a bumper if it was badly damaged, especially like this, sadly the bumper even if it was available would be £1000+ sadly they are no longer available so we work with what we've got and make sure it's done to the highest possible standard.

9125898072_22e77d18d8_z.jpg

9123676835_9a04fa29ca_z.jpg

9123675427_0fc6ea72ff_z.jpg

The reason the above happened is the previous bodyshop had repaired the bumper and fibreglassed/filled over 2 existing screws that go through the bumper into the massive air guide. They had also painted the bumper on the car, another ridiculous decision in those circumstances.

The piece of metal you see is brand new Aluminum, cut and shaped to look OE and follow the bumper and air guide perfectly. The added strength was a must at this stage as the repair work done before hand was actually falling off in our hands. Rivets would stay in place, bolts were simply for strength when repairing and bonding. Also helps check for any cracks or holes in the filler/fibreglass work.

9123673815_b973e226f3_z.jpg

9123672777_854d2fe877_z.jpg

9123671667_e5afe5c328_z.jpg

The previous bodyshop had also missed a small crack on the N/S wing which required extensive strengthening due to the bumper mounting points...

9123668657_441617fed5_z.jpg

A light scuff at the rear also painted whilst on site...

9125887022_da6bb421ba_z.jpg

And what a surprise, another Clio with the bonnet dented, the MK2 should come with an instruction manual on how to close. Previous owner/garage was credited with this one...

9125885534_e08176d8a2_z.jpg

9123664435_7d294e404b_z.jpg

Another thing we do when doing front ends for stone chips and similar is remove all previous paint where possible, bumper and bonnet (leading front). The more paint that is on the car the more easier it will chip, I think the bumper had about 5 layers on it. My paintshop foreman was over the moon with that task.

9123661851_16de3d4d96_z.jpg

9125879642_5195c05194_z.jpg

9123659113_99b1ab27e3_z.jpg

9125876970_7c996a0811_z.jpg

9125875618_e3201137ec_z.jpg

9125873954_0c8f363520_z.jpg

Body coloured primer used on bonnet and bumper. Both these parts baked then hand flattened after priming for the flattest finish prior to actually prepping and painting.

9123653107_5e60de3d2d_z.jpg

9123651999_244bc170a0_z.jpg

9125869186_bc3ec03e6e_z.jpg

9123648705_307a135866_z.jpg

Application of basecoat before lacquer, note where the actual "blue colour" is applied. Never the full panel in this case.

9125867204_91c700e738_z.jpg

9123646491_85c150b04a_z.jpg

9123645501_838a217993_z.jpg

9123642779_4c3ea9a82f_z.jpg

9125863830_48f331f20e_z.jpg

And finishing coats...

9123641365_6d32a16a21_z.jpg

9123679773_6f74a95da0_z.jpg

9123721681_c04853a771_z.jpg

9125940336_48154b5d91_z.jpg

9123718889_f58e0bd007_z.jpg

9123717423_ddffe35d61_z.jpg

9123716101_b8711e1700_z.jpg

Thanks for looking guys, just a little insight into what actually goes on when you leave your car in the hands of a bodyshop.

Nissan 350z
Nice one! Was it the same owner who took the car to the previous bodyshop who did such a bad job?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Shame it had to be repaired, its the sort of car that is mainly in the hands of people who are likely to want original panels not repaired ones, same for paint reall.

Looks good though. :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one! Was it the same owner who took the car to the previous bodyshop who did such a bad job?

Previous owner mate. Current one hasn't owned the car long and tbf these kinda things are well unforseen.

Shame it had to be repaired, its the sort of car that is mainly in the hands of people who are likely to want original panels not repaired ones, same for paint reall.

Looks good though. :)

It's not the worst thing, it's stronger than a standard bumper as they do split just by looking at them. In fairness they're more likely to notice the improved finish over the standard paint rather than complain.

Kinda hard to expect these cars not to see front end paintwork on anything but low miles. It's a rare car but it's one that can be used a lot.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Big Iain's?

Really surprised the bumpers are no longer available!!

Its a shame that the ten years part supply rule that gets quoted isnt a law like people think, I think its disgusting when manufacturers dump on the customers by not providing reasonable spares support

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When you look at the lead time on a clio 200 front bumper, im not surprised getting hold of a V6 one is hard!

I firmly believe that Adam at renault wolverhampton is the only person in the entire supply chain for parts that get to me that isnt a complete uselss c*nt.

Lionel Richie
I firmly believe that Adam at renault wolverhampton is the only person in the entire supply chain for parts that get to me that isnt a complete uselss c*nt.

He forgot to send my order today LOL!

what's the cost of that with you Gally as mine needs the same doing

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Surely if the finish was genuinely poor then it would be poor after the clear? It's also not meant to have a "finish" from the basecoat especially when "blending" a bonnet like we have. Keeping the original colour at the top edge to edge with the wings.

Do you paint?

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Colour looks fantastic, really need to get my front bumper resprayed :(

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I probably am, but with metallic paints (I assume this is metallic?) shouldn't you be spraying the panels in the orientation that they are on the car?

for example you've sprayed the bonnet with it upright, shouldn't it have been sprayed when horizontal?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I probably am, but with metallic paints (I assume this is metallic?) shouldn't you be spraying the panels in the orientation that they are on the car?

for example you've sprayed the bonnet with it upright, shouldn't it have been sprayed when horizontal?

Are you sure you are not thinking of pearl paint?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
​Im pretty sure it's the same with metallic paint? Something to do with the flake in the paint being applied properly

Ive only heard the same about pearl or flip paints TBH, but I know pretty much naff all about painting so cant comment personally.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I did a few years at a coach builders in clanfield.

No offence mate but it's hardly experience enough to be criticising. I'm not sure you understand how the basecoat works.

In 1979, maybe?!?! LOL!

That looks a f**king fantastic job TBH, if you were local I'd let you loose on mine. Bloody geography.

Flol! Tell me about it! I miss all the bloody poisonous bbqs at the unit!

I've not idea what you're talking about mate. Do you mean why is the bonnet not laid flat?

It's a bit different if the bonnet was on the car but 9/10 times you'd never leave a bonnet on a car as it'll just lie flat to gather crap.

You forgot the V6 tax, 1500 quid.

Lols! Some of the prices are scary. No V6 tax, just a car, nuts and bolts and metal mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
​Im pretty sure it's the same with metallic paint? Something to do with the flake in the paint being applied properly

Now I definitely have no idea what you're talking about. Are we talking about the direction the paint is applied? If so it's side to side. Always.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Gally what I mean is, taking the bonnet as an example, and I'm assuming you sprayed it whilst its vertical, shouldn't you have sprayed it lying horizontally? I.e as it sits on the car, but not on the car

apologies if its not making much sense lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No you wouldn't mate. As my earlier point, that's mental.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
How? Just curious as I've always been led to believe that you should always spray metallics/pearls In The orientation they would be on the car, so bonnet horizontally, doors vertically etc. because there's a risk of getting them slightly off colour if you don'tdon't

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Am I correct in saying you just want to apply flat to the panel, at 90 degree's or as close as possible to that, you just don't want to spray at like 3 degrees across, right?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So who was closest and more to the point what was the total cost?

I wouldn't disclose the total cost chap. Including the rear of the car and inc vat you'll be 1k+. But then again this wasn't quite straight forward.

To have your front end simply painted it would be a whole lot less.

How? Just curious as I've always been led to believe that you should always spray metallics/pearls In The orientation they would be on the car, so bonnet horizontally, doors vertically etc. because there's a risk of getting them slightly off colour if you don'tdon't

Am I correct in saying you just want to apply flat to the panel, at 90 degree's or as close as possible to that, you just don't want to spray at like 3 degrees across, right?

I'll put it a different way. If the bonnet was laid out flat, isn't there more chance of dirt and crap being able to land on the larger surface area? It's quite a big deal.

The application of the product is exactly the same no matter where your painting or what angle the panel is at. Not sure what you guys have heard or been taught but you're kind over complicating it.

Funny to hear outsider thoughts on how they thought people painted cars.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just going on what my mate has told me who has little experience in painting. Little being the main word and the reason I've asked.

basically what he was saying is if I wanted my meganes bonnet repainted (Monaco blue (metallic)) then make sure that when I take it to them off the car to make sure they paint it with the bonnet lying as it would be on the car (horizontal) to minimise the risk in a slight colour mismatch caused by how the flake would sit in the paint.

ive always thought this is far fetched tbh so who better to ask than someone who does it all day?!

edit: with the contamination point, shouldn't it be in a controlled environment anyway?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
No but it would be nice to go tell my mate he's talking s**te ;)

hes always right dontcha know! :banghead:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've heard loads (from painters) about the angle and direction you spray metallic paints so it doesn't look a different colour. Then again the painters I know are useless f**king c**ts!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Of course you're likely to believe him, he's clearly on drugs but then again that's probably just what he's been taught.

If that's the case then the bumper should have been sitting upright opposed to lying down. Anyone painting a bonnet flat off the car is mental. I'm not sure if you can get your head around it but logically the application is exactly the same no matter what way the bonnet is lying.