ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio sport 182 or honda civic type r??

Scirocco GT 210
I've owned both cars (well, a 172 instead of a 182) and this:

The Clio will be more fun, but the Civic is the better car.

Sums it up tbh.

You have to rag the clio aswell to get the best out of it performance wise, it hardly has low down torque!

Exactly.

In fact I'd even go as far to say that (in my experience) the CTR has a better midrange than the RS clio, thanks to the CTR's stupidly short gear ratios. Certainly felt faster in the midrange to me anyway.

As for which of the two to buy, you're going to have to drive both and decide for yourself. I know they're always getting compared to each other but they're actually very different cars.

I must say that the clio does offer much better value for money though!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What I would say is if you drive both you'll be able to pick which one you like easy because they aren't that close that you couldn't choose, you'll like one and not like the other imo.

It's what's suited to you.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
My review from when i tested them back to back in '05:

Civic Type-R, very comfy, and the gearbox was lovely with good positioning on the dashboard, but didn’t do anything until 10 million revs and the steering was very artificially weighty which I didn’t like. The thing that put me off the most though was that it was like driving a rocket powered Renault Espace, it felt and looked like I was driving a family bus. A good car for a young couple with a newborn child, lots of space and practicality but with decent driving fun for the weekends – great for the guy who refuses to grow old and buy an estate car to please the wife and kids.

Clio 182 with both cup packs. I got in, turned the traction control off and pulled away …. it felt alive, excellent steering, with feedback bombarding you from all angles. Reminded of the first time I drove a 106 gti, just like a go-cart with the potential for much grinning and idiotic driving. Hit 5k rpm and it took off, spinning round to the redline before you realise its time to change gear. Awesome fun and just what I want, im losing the outright speed of my car (a Z3M), but the buzziness and handling ability more than make up for it . . and it’ll cost bugger all to buy & run. Brilliant, im off to find one ...

I think that says it all tbh :D

good write up !!!

Clio 182 Trophy
i owned a type r before my trophy.

Type R has an awesome engine but in the wet you cannot put the power down. Also quite alot of body roll and i never felt confident pushing it round corners. 182 power wise, not that much in it, type r may just have the edge in a straight line but only just and not enough to notice out of driving the 2 until you get to illegal speeds :approve:. Handling on the trophy is a class above the type r and you can puch it into a corner at near enough any speed you want and it just grips.
Also i live in inner city manchester and in the time i had my type r i have never had so many problems with being followed - house broken in with lads in balaclavas and metal bars looking for the keys. I eventually got hijaked at knifepoint and off it went. Trophy i have never had a single problem (touch wood) up to now with thieving scum.

i do however miss the engine on the type r but i feel overall i much prefer my trophy for the fun factor but the civic is definately the better built car.
Both cracking cars but the fun factor goes to the clio everytime. I know its a trophy and not a 182ff or other but i dont think there would be that much diff.

Iceberg 172
Surely the Clio of the same value would be much newer and a lot less miles???

A ctr isn't any better IMO. I've driven both. And I'd choose the Clio. Mainly down to the image of the ctr plus the fact you'll get a newer one.

keo

Clio Trophy
I wanted a civic type r or a clio trophy just over a year ago, i wanted the CTR for ages and comming from a cherry red 106 GTI i thought the CTR would be more of a change than a red clio

The civic type r is alot better made than the clio, nice interior i had the premier and it had red carpets and recaro's. The engine and gearbox are silky smooth and brilliant. I hated the steering of it though and thats why i sold it after 6 months, i had no confidence in the car to go around a bend fast what so ever. Vtech is good but i soon got tired of revving the nuts off to go, it did sound savage at 8k though :)

I picked a trophy up saturday and i wish this was the car i got over 12 months ago, the feel of the car is like a go kart, very similar to my old 106 gti and i loved that. I havent realy had the trophy long enough to give an in depth write up of it, but i love it, lots more fun and alot rarer, i used to hate seeing CTR's all the time

MCS R56
Seems quite a lot of people would be tempted by the Civic...interesting...especially on a Clio forum.

Both are iconic hatches; you'll do well with either.

Iceberg 172
Seems quite a lot of people would be tempted by the Civic...interesting...especially on a Clio forum.

Both are iconic hatches; you'll do well with either.

I quite like it on here that not everyone thinks a Renaultsport Clio is the best thing on 4 wheels!

I do think the CTR and RS Clio's are 2 completely different cars... i'd put the Civic against the Megane 225 tbh.

As I said previously, I'd go for the Clio purely because you'd get a better one for your money.

For the sort of money you'd spend on a decent CTR you'd be close to 197 / R27 money I would of thought... and then it's a no brainer imo.

Clio 182 cup
think i've decided to go for the clio sport racing blue!! lol everyone thinks im wasting my time and money coz i've already got a 1.2 and and peeps are saying to me that the only thing thats different is the engine size which i disagree entirely lol

J

jonnytheboy

I got rid of my ctr to get my clio 182 cup, havent looked back, :approve:

I had a 1.2 courtesy car once while my 182 was having warranty work. Not worthy of comparison TBH. Blindfolded you'd think it was a completely different car. Tell 'everyone' they're talking b****cks.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I completely agree with the comments about the CTR's steering, my Bro has one and the only thing I hated about the car was the lardy feel and the steering felt very 'plastic' or 'invented'. It just didnt feel connected to the road

However he has now done some 'bit's + bob's to it and what a car it is now

he has changed the tyres to 40 profile, added spax fully adjustable coilovers, itg maxogen filter, piper exhaust, sports cat and 4-2-1 manifold, and had it mapped at TDI north with Hondata ECU and launch control

The car is completely transformed and the performance is awesome, the steering now feels more connected to the road as well

After hanging around with the honda boys quite a lot recently I'd have to say go for the honda as a better engineered car, in standard form they dont offer as much 'fun' but once tweaked with, are fantastic

If you want fun but honda reliability, by a civic type r EK9 (the jdm japanese import older shape), a friend has just bought one and its a very very good drivers car, yet has the reliabilty of a honda :)

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I've owned a 182 with cup packs, and driven my mate's CTR a few times. I also looked at the CTR as an alternative when looking at 182s and went for the Clio. I think ultimately it was because you could feel the speed in it more - the Civic is almost too big inside and distances you from the sensation. Guess that's what people are meaning when they say the Clio feels more fun.

I do however like the look of the Civic, and having just got a Vtec engined car myself I love the power delivery and noise.

I think I'd still just about take the Clio though, but it would depend what deals are about on each car at the time.

MCS R56
Corolla T Sport is a good alternative to both, I have one as my daily driver. Nice and nippy with 189BHP.

One of the worst 'hot' hatches of recent times. I have to disagree completely with your comment, it's a terrible car!

IMO, it is not an alternative!

think i've decided to go for the clio sport racing blue!! lol everyone thinks im wasting my time and money coz i've already got a 1.2 and and peeps are saying to me that the only thing thats different is the engine size which i disagree entirely lol

Trust me, they're nothing like each other to drive, apart from the cack seating position carryon.

CTR for me also. Stick an induction kit on them and they sound like the world is about to explode.

Awesome engine and gearbox, but the 182 does handle better

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Clio.

Well we are on a Clio Forum !

Atleast we are getting decent feedback/honest comments though

Its true that the Honda is the better car through the form of reliability/maintenance/customer dealings etc

You cant take away the driver involvment from the Clio though it is good butt he Honda (for me) just edges it

Iceberg 172
Imagine the Honda engine & drivetrain in the Clio. That would be an epic car. Someone should do it.

Like my old 106 ;)

106_type_r.jpg

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
me and my mate both got our cars on the same week i got the clio and he got the ctr his was a 51 plate mines was a 53 plate ... so anyways this was 3 years ago and i sat in and drove both cars regularly i must say i always luved jumping back into my wee clio but when u get in that ctr u just feel like its such a better car its faster more room and lets face it vtech is amazing compared to the clios power bands... anyways as for reliability i got sum brake pads and tyres he had to get..... 2 engines a gearbox and a clutch who said the renaults were sh1t :)

320d
I'd go for a good condition RB 182FF if I where you mate. Insurance on CTR's is more, I couldn't get a quote on one at 19, said you have to be over 21 where as a 172 was fine.

The spec of the Clio is much better for the price too. £5.5-6K gets you a mint 2005 ish RB 182FF with all the toys, the same money gets you a boggo 02-52 plate CTR.

Had a black CTR before the cup and it was an amazing car. Took it to nearly 100k and was still mint and never missed a beat.

They are faster than you think aswell, i think it was alot faster than my cup. Honda is built better and people see it as better car.

Other good points of CTR:
-huge boot
-Nice position of gear box
-engine is amazing when on vtec

Bad points:
-Servicing is costy
-petrol is bad if you always have it on the vtec
-Handling is not good, alot of torque steer and danger in the wet!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Had a black CTR before the cup and it was an amazing car. Took it to nearly 100k and was still mint and never missed a beat.

They are faster than you think aswell, i think it was alot faster than my cup. Honda is built better and people see it as better car.

Other good points of CTR:
-huge boot
-Nice position of gear box
-engine is amazing when on vtec

Bad points:
-Servicing is costy
-petrol is bad if you always have it on the vtec
-Handling is not good, alot of torque steer and danger in the wet!

Thatll be the same as a Clio then? If you batter any car up and down the rev range obviously fuel consumption will drop.

CTR's are chain driven and only require valve clearence every 24k/2 years @ a cost of £220

Whats a service at an independant, £60? Hardly bank breaking stuff!

Drive any car in the wet like a hero and you will crash, and die