ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio performance compared to others

172 cup
Hi,

Im new to the Clios so im interested to see what a 172-182 can give certains cars a run for there money on 0-60 and general performance. Would Civic Type-R be one? Obviously not talking about heavily modded Clios.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Standard vs standard in my experience, CTR will pull a car length or so on you, you will pull a car length on a corsa vxr, and pull a couple on a fiesta st 150 or focus st170

Clio 182
Compared to a type r's cliosare very close to them, at higher speedsthecivic will pull abit more away though... new fiesta st aresimilar to the clio 182 and if you get your foot down first, you can usually get a length or 2 away from unmodified focus st

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
if you get your foot down first, you can usually get a length or 2 away from unmodified focus st

They're a second quicker to 60.

EP3 Type Rs are a little slower in my experience, also most videos where the two go head to head, the civic loses - see below;

In short, just youtube 'Clio vs' and have a field day. Bear in mind though that driver competence plays a big part in who wins, and also that other cars are a lot more easily modified.

Also all the opinions (including mine) in this thread are completely invalid. No two clios are the same, and no two civics, no two fords, no two etc etc etc are the same.

Im partial to the old traffic light drag i must say.

Beat some decent cars. The usual fiesta st, focus 170, corsa vxr, loads of bmws. Jag xf 3.0d surprised at this one kept up him couldn't pull was only up to 70 mind. Leon cupra r pushing 280 (claimed) faster to 70 he then pulled away a car length So in short it doesn't do too bad imo. 0-60 is one thing 30 - 70 totally different

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I find the game has changed that much now i dont do much traffic light grand prix as average diesel german barge holds its own, i prefer chasing hot hatches in the dci now lol

172 cup
It quite interesting the differences. My last love of a car was a yellow estate volvo 850 T5-r (290bhp approx) very quick, but the power of this Clio i have is very suprising for a little car.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
totally agree the cup surprises a lot of bigger cars,as does the 182 etc,these weigh hardly anything get the cup remapped though i would better low down torque

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I had a go with a new fiesta St when I still had my 200. There wasn't much in it but I edged it.

172 cup
well i just bought an RS tuner from a memeber from here. Am i expecting a little more suprise? I cant see it to be honest. it seems like its giving all its got already!

225 Cup & Williams
well i just bought an RS tuner from a memeber from here. Am i expecting a little more suprise? I cant see it to be honest. it seems like its giving all its got already!

I found it a noticeable difference not a hell of a lot on performance but drivability was so much better.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Usually mapping n/a engines isnt worth the cash but an rs tuner is on these, probably gain a couple bhp but that doesn't tell the full story. The idle raised (i think its 150rpm) and vvt activated from cold makes a big difference to the refinement and the extra mid range torque is brilliant

172 cup
Well im looking forward to installing this map. has anyone looked into the AFR after installing the Map? I take it, its safe??

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
not big increase in power on mine,idles better and drives smoother but no dont expect a big surge of power

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
not a loss,smooths the rev band out,improves the cold start coughing and spluttering and idle,its worth doing,any othe rplans exhaust,filter

Last edited:
  172 cup
not a loss,smooths the rev band out,improves the cold start coughing and spluttering and idle,its worth doing,any othe rplans exhaust,filet?
its Already got a K-Tec panel filter and a stainless Stealth cat back. Other than that its standard. Im going to install braided lines to help the stopping. Looking to have a few fun track days but would be nice to suprise a few friends with this little hot hatch! Its a great car and reminds me of my 205 GTI days. But better!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
snap had a few real nice 1.9 gtis in sorrento green,i kept them mint they felt so fast back in the day

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
cant beat it,maybe put a bigger engine in it now by todays faster hatches,oh i got a ktec induction kit on minr its sounds crazy past 5000rpm,i think theres 1 for sale in the for sale section m8 worth having

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Rs Tuber does make a difference to the drive ability. Concentrate on the handling and stopping side and you have a capable car.

Think you will own all but enzos at the local gp three lights and you will be surprised by what is quicker. Modern diesels for a start

Titanium 182
I find the game has changed that much now i dont do much traffic light grand prix as average diesel german barge holds its own, i prefer chasing hot hatches in the dci now lol
Came here to say this! These new cars are packing some serious poke and economy!

172 cup
Yes diesels are becoming very quick. But for me its an old classic modenised. I know there is alot of fun to have out of these cars and i wil have as much as can till the end!

What a great forum this is by the way. Thanks for all the feedback.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Annoyingly so mate. Diesels of years ago would have been laughable in comparison to a hot hatch. These days rep mobiles with their mountain of torque are quick, very. But then they cost a way load more

172 cup
I just love the acceleration this little car can give. Always gives me a smile. But the trip meter was a bad invention as I'm always seeing what the best MPG I can get. Ha ha

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
out of all the cars ive been overtaken in by quite a bit in the leon and smaller 1 is it the ibiza cupra,must hav ebeen mapped past 100 they left me bye bye lol

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
If you had them all still today you could be rich lol
i know big regrets,last one i had was a mint black k reg 1993,but a piston ring went and at the time i shifted it on,boy do i refgret getting rid of that 1 with ebay prices