ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Re: CLIO IV RS for 2013, Last news - NEW DETAILS #1779

Don't forget that fancy brakes aren't just about stopping. They're very often much lighter, which saves unsprung mass. That shouldn't be underestimated. The standard callipers on my car are HEAVY. When I switched to AP 6-pots I noticed a subtle but definite improvement in front end response and control.

It's only just struck me how ridiculous that rear quarter window is. The glass area is like the size of a postage stamp. When you look at that area it's a massive mess. Are they really trying to create the illusion of a 3-door car with a normal rear side window? If so, it doesn't work.

I'm not trying to be overly critical of the car as a whole, but dear God renault really do need to get some new stylists. They lost the plot with the 200, and IMO this hasn't really done much to appease the situation. Seriously, just look at the rear door, the handle, and the 'window' behind it. WTF :(

Last edited:
  Clio 172 RS2

It actually doesn't that's why my comment is there, new car is lower and wider than outgoing one but the overlay shows it to be about 100mm bigger?

Like i posted, aligned on the axle centers... scaled to the wheelnut size.
172 (Ragnotti) 16", 200 17", new 200 18"

The new one just follows the current Alfa (Giulietta), Seat (Leon) trend of a 4-door posing as a 2-door.
Everything is set higher; hip line, glass house, lights... wonder how the handling is affected by that.
Weight is 36Kg lighter.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Are they really trying to create the illusion of a 3-door car with a normal rear side window?

It certainly looks that way. Sales figures will tell if people are as concerned/offended/repulsed as you seem to be over a car you have no intention whatsoever of buying.

I must be blind as I think it works quite well LOL

It certainly looks that way. Sales figures will tell if people are as concerned/offended/repulsed as you seem to be over a car you have no intention whatsoever of buying.

I must be blind as I think it works quite well LOL

You seem pretty defensive. I'm not concerned/offended/repulsed. I have no emotional axe to grind precisely because I don't intend to buy one. I have an open view of the car and I don't believe I've said anything unreasonable about it. Certainly nothing that goes beyond the boundaries of personal opinion. In fact I'm fairly sure that in some contexts, I've roundly defended it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

You seem pretty defensive. I'm not concerned/offended/repulsed. I have no emotional axe to grind precisely because I don't intend to buy one. I have an open view of the car and I don't believe I've said anything unreasonable about it. Certainly nothing that goes beyond the boundaries of personal opinion. In fact I'm fairly sure that in some contexts, I've roundly defended it.

Not overly so I don't think...in a way i think I'm simply trying to temper my own enthusiasm for it by trying to counter a perfectly reasonable position. I know full well you'd come back with something which makes me want to dig deeper.

I like it, I want to buy one from what I've seen of it so far. I don't like that as I shouldn't!

Just buy one if you like it dude. There's a few billion people in the world who'd like to be stuck with the choice.

It's not going to be a s**t car.

If I were currently in the market for a B-car hot hatch, I would very definitely be considering the Clio. Thats my summary.

Clio 172 RS2

Guess this is the new 'generic' shape of hatchbacks of years to come.

Look at the Ford Fiësta, Seat Leon... mini MPV. ;)

clio diesel

Your 20 year old Williams would likely crumble to dust in an impact that would leave the passenger compartment of the newer Clio intact and probably still with functioning doors.

Any other ludicrous comparisons to make?????

The Mk1s are notoriously strong in crashes. Over the years there have been crash threads where people have walked away from rolls and serious impacts and the main shell area has acted like a cage and retained its shape.

Comparisons with a 20 year old car are highly relevant if we are talking about progress. I pointed out the williams gets a better mpg, which proves that progress is going backwards. Less CO2, less fuel used, and buying a new car, it takes 25 years of ownership, even if you get more MPG to get back the CO2 it took to build the car.

Most CO2 is produced in the production of the car, not running it. But its not just the williams, same could be said for the 172 / 182, which is very similar to the williams in this respect.

Its pointless buying a 20k new car to save money on tax and fuel. Its also pointless buying a 20k new car to save CO2. This smaller engine turbo car era is red herring, as new cars do nothing but harm to the environment, when compared to keeping an older one. If you believe the mainstreamCO2 b****cks anyway.

clio diesel

Your 20 year old Williams will be on the ramps a lot more than a Clio 4 will be though.

and economy isn't just mpg, its overall cost of running, the impact in the environment etc. etc.

Marks new car cost thread shows its far more expebsive to buy and run a new car than an old car.

Its pointless buying a 20k new car to save money on tax and fuel. Its also pointless buying a 20k new car to save CO2.

Unless you want a new car, your budget is £20k, and you'd like something reasonably economical?

Or are you suggesting we should all drive twenty year old sheds? Ever thought of starting your own car manufacturing business? lol.

clio diesel

Unless you want a new car, your budget is £20k, and you'd like something reasonably economical?

Or are you suggesting we should all drive twenty year old sheds? Ever thought of starting your own car manufacturing business? lol.

Im suggesting that people have been fooled into thinking the smaller turbo engines are implemented for environmental reasons, when logically that is absurd. They have been implemented for political reasons.

To an extent, I don't disagree with that. The whole pollution thing has amounted to little more than political posturing for years. In fact, in the long term, as I have said for many years, the cost of motoring will never go down. Governments are already needing to find ways to balance the losses from fuel duty.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Im suggesting that people have been fooled into thinking the smaller turbo engines are implemented for environmental reasons, when logically that is absurd. They have been implemented for political reasons.

We are running out of oil, I personally thinking making cars more economical is a good idea.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

image.jpg

Spot the Clio

Italian 3.2 V6

It's going to be a great car! I can't wait too see & drive one!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Pricing:

£18995

Lux £19995

Lux adds climate control, electrically folding door mirrors, electric rear windows, R Link (in leiu of MediaNav), auto lights and wipers, extra tinted glass

Options:

Cup chassis and 18" wheels £450
18" wheels £185
Monitor £95
Climate control £410
Extra tint £250
Leather £1000
Heated seats £250
Rear sensors £315
Rear camera £350
Metallic £495
Flame red £595
Liquid yellow £1300

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
CLIO IV RS for 2013, Last news - NEW DETAILS #1779

Awaiting to see what discounts are available - if any at all!

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6

Just seen this on PH - no mention of Recaros???

197 White One!

Looks awesome, drives good (shouldn't be worse then 197), is practical for a car with sport ambitions, a lot better fuel economy then 2.0 NA, dual clutch EDC for city buzzing, overtaking and crazy zig zag lane changing :D
Yes, manual is better for driver engagment, especially on a track-day, but there were like hundred of times I wanted an automatic in urban trafic when you are moving inch by inch. Also, I've been 2,3 times a year on a track with my 197, so I'll get over the manual for those few times.

Only thing I'm worrying is no Brembo's option available. Although it could be marketing with the 197 and brembos, I still doubt these 320mm are gonna bite stronger and be less fade proof. So, I have to wait for a proper review or nice test drive :)

Clio 172 Cup Mondial

epic ! well prices so basically 21k for a decent paint job cup chassis and full leather. not bad for a edc car...

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
CLIO IV RS for 2013, Last news - NEW DETAILS #1779

Auto tests available from 6 pm tonite according to renault sport forum!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Won't the cup chassis come with Brembos? Instant addition so to speak?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It's a good job CS has a few high rollers - no one else will be able to afford one. £19k(?!) - after the usual Renault Sport options are ticked I bet that will soon be £22k.

[Say £1k seats, 1k LY, cup chasis £0.3k, RS monitor, carbon pack, speedlines, steering wheel insert]

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Does anyone actually pay full price though, not sure many if anyone paid full price on any of the 1*2/197/200's

My 200 Specced at £18,890... got it for £15,500.

I wouldn't of paid £19k almost for it either.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure how prices can vary so much - I got a 200 spec'd up and the price was £19k or something (had all the expensive options ticked) and I asked why some people were getting quotes of £15/6/7k for the same car they told me I was wrong and that the prices all come from Renault and discounts and prices are uniform.

On the same day others were getting different quotes to me - cheaper than me*. Not sure if it is regional or if I paid the price (literally - well, almost) for living in Aberdeen where volumes I suspect to be lower and prices potentially higher.

I understand they want flexibility in the price to be able to close a deal, but potentially overpricing a car's list price by £3,400 (GiT's situation) which is c 20% is pure madness IMO.

*Specs were in some cases different, but the price disparity was greater than the difference in the option retail.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure how prices can vary so much - I got a 200 spec'd up and the price was £19k or something (had all the expensive options ticked) and I asked why some people were getting quotes of £15/6/7k for the same car they told me I was wrong and that the prices all come from Renault and discounts and prices are uniform.

On the same day others were getting different quotes to me - cheaper than me*. Not sure if it is regional or if I paid the price (literally - well, almost) for living in Aberdeen where volumes I suspect to be lower and prices potentially higher.

I understand they want flexibility in the price to be able to close a deal, but potentially overpricing a car's list price by £3,400 (GiT's situation) which is c 20% is pure madness IMO.

*Specs were in some cases different, but the price disparity was greater than the difference in the option retail.

Depends on the dealer I found, obviously depends if they need the business as to how much discount they will allow.

When I was looking at 200's I tried my local dealer who wanted over £18k for my spec, Huddersfield wouldn't give me a price as I clearly couldn't afford the insurance and tried to sell me a 1.2 (bearing in mind I turned up in a 182 and my quotes were actually less on a 200) and Wakefield quoted me around £15k for the same car. Pays to shop around, clearly.