ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

RB182cup&golf gti
Pretty sure the 182 Trophy didnt get slated at any point !!
It was the fact that it was based on the cup and only available in red that drew criticism from predominantly (jealous) full fat owners suggesting it was a money making scheme by Renault to get shut of the old shells!

RB182cup&golf gti
I think tats a great looking car. Its ideal for me. Id never buy a new car again tho. The amount of money you loose is too painful.
I've started to think like this and it's an ideal car for me. Lost an absolute shed load of money on my recent ST so will stick to my 182 for the foreseeable! Perhaps a second hand one of these in a couple of years if they turn out good

LY 200 EDC LUX
Let's be honest, half the clio owners on here will never be happy unless renault re-release the 172 / 182 or invent a time machine that can take you back 10 years.

I drove 1200 miles through France this week and saw 3 new 200T and I've never seen a 1*2 or 197/200 over there ever. I've only seen 2 200T on the roads over here since they came out.
Maybe they're selling well on the continent like some people say.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Let's be honest, half the clio owners on here will never be happy unless renault re-release the 172 / 182 or invent a time machine that can take you back 10 years.
Cars like the fiesta have sold like hot cakes. You/me and any other Cs pleb doesn't decide what people want. The market does.
And the market says if people want a fun, small cheap to run hot hatch, 99% buy the fiesta.
If people want a refined, more easy to live with hot hatch with paddles, they buy a golf. Or skoda, seat etc etc. They don't buy the French s**t box with the cheap looking interior, and the gearbox with more lag than Boris Johnson on weed.
And that's new. Wouldn't trust Renault to do a Cambelt on a £1500 1*2. Fixing that gearbox in 5yrs when something plays up? No thanks.

Indeed. They have placed the new 200T in the completely wrong market.

More grown up than the Fiesta and shitter than a Golf.

Great desicion. Basically the worst of both worlds. Have no desire to drive one, let alone buy one. First sporty clio I've said that about.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I drove 1200 miles through France this week and saw 3 new 200T and I've never seen a 1*2 or 197/200 over there ever. I've only seen 2 200T on the roads over here since they came out.
Maybe they're selling well on the continent like some people say.

The french buy french cars even if they are sh1t though, national pride etc - like midlanders did with rover/mg. The natural choice for an auto hot hatch is a golf gti, but that aint french, hence the requirement for the 200T.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The french buy french cars even if they are sh1t though, national pride etc - like midlanders did with rover/mg. The natural choice for an auto hot hatch is a golf gti, but that aint french, hence the requirement for the 200T.

Kumwho?

Also LOL at 'half of CS want the 182 reincarnated or to go back in time 10 years'. Nope, everyone just thinks the Fiesta is better, and it is neither of those things.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
And the golf cost £10k more !! For the same spec as the lux. I forgot most of CS are high rollers
They aren't. But neither are they silly enough to look at cost to buy and dismiss out of hand.

The majority of these cars are leased or financed. And when done that way, the difference is far lower, and you get a much higher quality vehicle, an excellent gearbox/engine combo and the badge.

It's a no brainer. There will be folk that want the clio, but judging by how many I see, not enough.

They are. Just speced one on the vw configurator was £30k with satnav, keyless entry, white paint and the dsg box 5doors. The lux is £20400 with cup pack.

3 years pcp golf is £29849 total payable
4 years pcp Clio is £22655 total payable
£7k difference.

Have you driven the 200T ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
And the golf cost £10k more !! For the same spec as the lux. I forgot most of CS are high rollers

If you plan to buy the car & keep it forever, never selling it, yes, you are indeed correct.
However, if you plan to sell after 3/5 years, you need to consider residual values, like finance/leasing companies do.

For example, in 2007:
Megane R26: £19,570
Golf Edition 30: £22,322 (£2,752 more)

Now (just been on AT), an 07 with 80k miles
Megane R26: £4,995
Golf Edition 30: £8,995 (£4,000 more)

So, if you'd bought the golf, you'd be £1,248 better off, despite it costing more in the first place.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
£7k difference.

If you intend to buy the car at the end yes (Golf's RV will be much higher), what is the monthly cost for each during the 3 year term?
What are the figures for the clio out of interest, ie cost price/deposit/monthly/RV?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Golf is 7126 deposit £275 per month 3 year
Clio 4650 deposit £209 per month 4 year

Why are you comparing apples & pears though - your terms/deposits are different lol.

I've just run the following through Close Motor Finance using the same deposit/term/10k per annum (i'm a finance broker)
Clio 200EDC (4 years): £20,590, £2,500 deposit, £6,927.50 RV, £277.96 per month. £330 per month inc deposit.
M135i 5dr facelift (4 years): £25,625 (TRL price), £2,500 deposit, £11,815 RV, £297.76 per month. £349.84 per month inc. deposit.
Golf Gti as specced above (4 years): £28,650, £2,500 deposit, £10,688.75 RV, £386.00 per month. £438 per month inc. deposit.

Makes for interesting reading. M135i discounts are huge, hence why everyone got one (as per the Golf R lease below).
Not sure on Renaults policy, but it certainly wont be -20%.
£20 a month extra for the M135i over the 200T? Nuff said.

Or other offers:
Golf R (2 year lease): £1585 deposit, £265 per month x23. £331 per month inc. deposit.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They are. Just speced one on the vw configurator was £30k with satnav, keyless entry, white paint and the dsg box 5doors. The lux is £20400 with cup pack.

£7k difference.

Have you driven the 200T ?
Yes I've driven the 200. It's good, chassis is decent (if not as responsive as the fiesta). Engine isn't powerful enough imo, and the box is poor. The actual changes go through smoothly, and quickly. But the delay from hitting the paddle to the change going through is really poor.

Try a vag dsg and the difference is big. The 200 box feels a generation behind. It's also why the engine is low on torque, it's due to the torque limit in the box. The 0-60 etc look competitive because the changes are quick, but in gear it feels slower than the fiesta.

There's a good car hidden in there. But they've not found it yet (maybe the trophy addresses that). Renault won't sell cars on brand, for Joe public type r etc are more desirable. So to be a success it has to be class leading, or close. But the fiesta, mini and by all accounts the pug with the lsd are ahead.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
An interesting quote from a recent pistonheads article.

A decade later, we're being ushered into that same characterless unit to witness to the birth of a new Clio Trophy. It's fair to say, expectations are high. But, before the big reveal, Renaultsport management is keen to set the record straight about the current Clio 200 EDC. "We believe Clio 4 (RS) is a success; it is the car we wanted to do", explains Regis Fricotte, Sales and Marketing Director, unapologetically. "Clio 3 (RS) was a race car for everyday. With Clio 4 (RS) we wanted to provide a comfortable car for everyday race". As a sales strategy it has worked, driving growth in markets such as Australia and Japan, while maintaining similar volume across Europe. In fact, you may be surprised to learn, as we were, that Renaultsport has sold 10 per cent more Clio 4 RS models than Clio 3, across a similar time frame.

Nevertheless, Fricotte admits, there are some elements of the current Clio 200 that could be improved, particularly for the customer looking for something more dynamic, more radical. That car is the new Clio Trophy, and there's one parked in the workshop next door, finished in special edition Frost White matt paint with contrasting black roof and spoiler.

the fact I saw my mates grandad buy a fiesta St last weekend has rather put me off the St is great but I'm a bit bored of it I love the 200t I could do with auto five doors and some power too

It's not going to be a golf dsg it's a clio and there is a few on auto trader also with car leasing take insurance into account I can imagine a golf r is more than the clio a lot more

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I fail to undestand why buying a bavarian bus gives you the right to slate renault clio rs on a cliosport forum. Go post about your dream car on the bmw forum or your st on the dorf rs forum. Oh sorry you cannot join it unless you have a dorf rs, lol, so you come on cliosport and expect clio owners to be impressed, which we are not. The clio4 rs is a fun car to drive just like all the other clios and i expect the new trophy will be the same.

No offence mate but most of the people who are 'slating' the new 200T have had many Clios and have been active members for a lot longer than you.

If you want a forum where no one speaks their mind, feel free to post on clio197.net

Pleanty of people don't like it, and I'll post that opionion all I want quite frankly.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
200T - 462

Fiesta ST - 9667
I can categorically tell you that isn't right lol.
And how is it a f**k up? They've out sold Mk3 internationally and are in a sector of the Market where Mk3 couldn't compete.
Renaultsport has always been a low volume brand and Ford have always sold more as it is a different product and it is also manufactured differently. A fairer comparison from a brand and build perspective would be the M power cars or Abarth.

The chaps who build Clio RS only work on Race cars, formula cars, or Clio. I believe this is the same with Abarth and M. Ford take a boggo Fiesta and bolt on some extra bits on the same production line, so it is much more automated in its manufacture.

Lastly you can't take reg figures at face value. i.e Ford tend to do a lot of tactical registrations to maintain market share, and a lot of their ST volume will be through fleet. Clio Renaultsport tends to be retail only.

So yes, there are more Fiesta ST's about due to the nature of their manufacture, which allows them to put together more competitive offers which clearly delivers volume and is a strategy which has always worked for them. Additionally, it's a great car! The Trophy has rectified the down falls of the previous model (think 197 >200), and it can only get better.

Dismissing it as a failure is true, if Fiesta ST registrations is your benchmark. But in terms of previous sales performance (mk3 RS), it's a success.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I fail to undestand why buying a bavarian bus gives you the right to slate renault clio rs on a cliosport forum. Go post about your dream car on the bmw forum or your st on the dorf rs forum. Oh sorry you cannot join it unless you have a dorf rs, lol, so you come on cliosport and expect clio owners to be impressed, which we are not. The clio4 rs is a fun car to drive just like all the other clios and i expect the new trophy will be the same.
People's criticism is justified to an extent though.

The mk4 is not the car that the Mk3 was. It's completely different to drive and is aimed at a completely different market. The mk3 was a race car for the road which people loved. This one is more of a jack of all trades, which some people love. The Mk4 is a brilliant all rounder, and that has (understandably) annoyed some Renaultsport loyalists.

It basically boils down to what you're going to use it for and what your budget is.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I genuinely think they are generally selling loads of them in France/Oz etc, but not in the UK (as per Luke's post), BUT its missed the mark here, the car certainly isnt bad, but they buggered up the launch so badly that everyone who would have been interested bought Fiesta's/M135's/Golf R's on finance, so they are pretty much tied in for 2/3 years now.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeah, but if you dont sell a car in Outer Mongolia, then you start selling in that country & achieve 3 cars sales, its an unprecedented success lol.

I think they are generally selling loads of them in France/Oz etc, but not in the UK, its missed the mark here, the car certainly isnt bad, but they buggered up the launch so badly that everyone who would have been interested bought Fiesta's/M135's/Golf R's on finance, so they are pretty much tied in for 2/3 years now.
You're right - The finance offers is a massive thing that needs improving. I don't think they have moved much since launch.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You're right - The finance offers is a massive thing that needs improving. I don't think they have moved much since launch.
Completely. As an example, 90% of new Mercedes registered are on PCP, probably similar with BMW/Audi.
The £200 a month clio offer got loads of product out the door, so Renault should know how well it works!
Cash buyers are in the minority, so a good finance package is essential imho.