ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Swift Sport
All the Volkswagen enthusiasts I know can tell you any specification of any model of Golf right back to the '80's, but can't differentiate between a Focus and an Astra.

#dubscene.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It's not the same size though, the Clio is smaller and lighter. Not to mention £7k cheaper.
Megane is the direct comparison to the golf but I see what you mean.
Polo is perhaps the better comparison to a clio

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's nothing like a Golf. The 200 EDC is a cracking car, I could genuinely see myself having one as a daily, but I don't have £16k spare to buy one and I don't need a car for work so having a newish car makes zero sense.

But just to clarify, very good chassis, quick and comfortable, 5 doors combined with the lower emissions/tax etc makes it a really good hot hatch.

The people that were in the market for one, would probably tell a different tale today if Renault had some decent customer service.
It's not a cracking car. It would of sold better if it were. It's not as much fun, not as quick, not as economical as the fiesta. It's not as well built as a mini. It's fugly.

And 5 doors just isn't a bonus in this class. In the golf/meg class it is.

It offers a lot of things that buyers in the UK don't want or need, and doesn't offer what they do. For the UK, it's a failure.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's not the same size though, the Clio is smaller and lighter. Not to mention £7k cheaper.
List price means bugger all these days. It's a monthly outgoing for most folk. And a golf isn't massively more expensive, but it's the far nicer car.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's not a cracking car. It would of sold better if it were. It's not as much fun, not as quick, not as economical as the fiesta. It's not as well built as a mini. It's fugly.

And 5 doors just isn't a bonus in this class. In the golf/meg class it is.

It offers a lot of things that buyers in the UK don't want or need, and doesn't offer what they do. For the UK, it's a failure.

Who mentioned a Fiesta? I've driven a Clio EDC and found it was great fun. You can't disagree with that.

Not much smaller! Who cares about the weight? To average Joe on the street it's the same size as a golf. It even has 5 doors. They will buy a golf, a3 or even a focus over a clio.

The number of STs on here prove it's no longer the car it was.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Not much smaller! Who cares about the weight? To average Joe on the street it's the same size as a golf. It even has 5 doors. They will buy a golf, a3 or even a focus over a clio.

The number of STs on here prove it's no longer the car it was.

I'm not sure I agree with the owners comment. There's not that many St 'owners' on here, more people who have taken the cheap lease deal. Maybe if Renault had offered the Clio at £200 a month there would be as many Clio 200T owners.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm not sure I agree with the owners comment. There's not that many St 'owners' on here, more people who have taken the cheap lease deal. Maybe if Renault had offered the Clio at £200 a month there would be as many Clio 200T owners.
They're still owners lol. That's the nature of modern car buying. If they were up at the same price, there would be more clio owners. But they'd still be massively outnumbered by fiesta drivers.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
They're still owners lol. That's the nature of modern car buying. If they were up at the same price, there would be more clio owners. But they'd still be massively outnumbered by fiesta drivers.

Leasing is not buying though. I agree that it's how a lot of people put themselves in new cars these days but they never buy it, they rent it.

Renault screwed up the launch of the 200T but it doesn't make the car bad. I've got an open mind until I drive one but on paper I like the sound of one as a daily.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Leasing is not buying though. I agree that it's how a lot of people put themselves in new cars these days but they never buy it, they rent it.

Renault screwed up the launch of the 200T but it doesn't make the car bad. I've got an open mind until I drive one but on paper I like the sound of one as a daily.
But that's how people tend to run cars these days? I don't understand the point you're trying to make? Wether you view it as owning a car or not, that's how people tend to purchase cars?

Clio 200 cup
You can buy a new 200T for £200 a month. As for a flop. How many 200s were sold in the first year? This 200T is a cracking car especially when you start to mod it. As for it being slow, well mine flys. I have had both a 200 Cup and a FF and I can make better progress in the 200T than the old 200. Don't get me wrong the 200 was a great car, the 200T is a fast modern great car. Just like the ST, it's built for modding. It has taken me 3 months to learn the new technique for driving, but now I love the box and its ease of changing up and down the box. Keeping both hands on the wheel while making good progress down our wonderful B roads. 230 bhp and 250ftlb for a few hundred quid and 35mpg average, and your knocking it. Stick that in your ST Golf pipe.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Assuming that's a Renault warrantied power boost you've got there chap, similar to mountune? Good to see you can get on with that box, most people seem to find the delay between pulling the paddle and something actually happening annoying.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Fairly sure I've seen those 300bhp golfs getting 39mpg. Whoops.
Oh.
SRR%207.3.15_zpsp86dlg1z.jpg

IMG_9855_zpsrwsnymgn.jpg

LY 200 EDC LUX
Golfs are more boring than S3's though! I've owned a fair few hot hatches, but the thought of owning a Golf just doesn't fill me with joy whatsoever. im not saying it's a not good car, and I'm sure it is, but God its dull. I've never driven one, but there are plenty of people on here who haven't driven a 200t and feel the need to comment on how it drives ;-)

Personally it's not the way it drives or its book BHP figure that put me off.

It's the interior fit and finish, that looks about 10 years out of date and the front end styling.

I just couldn't live with either.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I actually like the Clio4 exterior. I do prefer the Fiesta exterior to be fair, but the Clio interior is better than the Ford's IMO.

In all fairness though, you don't buy a hot hatch based on looks.. Do you?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's mainly the dials I don't like on the Fiesta. I honestly don't see what you're getting at though - neither are exactly Audi are they.

I, at least, wouldn't buy the less capable car based on looks.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You've lost me. I didn't say it wasn't.

I'm not agreeing with you though. from reviews I've seen the Clio is a touch faster in a straight line - has 5 doors and an auto mode so your Mrs doesn't ruin your clutch/gearbox. It's not so bad in the bends either.

If you want a clutch then you're not left with many options and I think the Fiesta is cheaper too, not to mention being able to get relatively good lease deals.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
having finally got a shot in both, I preferred the Fiesta but assuming the Trophy is as good as it is in paper (sorting the niggles!) then the clio is the one for me.

Problem is I cant stand the Dealers, and the lack of support from the manufacturer when you have issues with the dealers! so im not sure ill be parting with the cash for one. I wish they would bring the 5 door ST to the UK!

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I get the hate for the mark 4..I hated the mark 3 when it first came out and the mark 2 phase 2 but over time I have much love for all.
Even though I've not driven a mk4 (because of the reviews) I'm sure it's a great car..a more grown up car ? The editor on performance French car liked it so much he didn't really want to give it back. He did get on with the gearbox in the end!!! Hopefully the trophy will be what the 200t should of been. I am 40 btw and need 4 doors so the trophy could be on the cards if the little niggles are sorted. Awaiting the trophy reviews!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I hated the mk4 the minute I realised they're still using leftover parts from mk3s on the interior et al.
Oh and the new Golfs are not boring, drive an R and come back and tell me it's boring. They've moved on since the mk4/5... by a long long way!

I hated the mk4 the minute I realised they're still using leftover parts from mk3s on the interior et al.
Oh and the new Golfs are not boring, drive an R and come back and tell me it's boring. They've moved on since the mk4/5... by a long long way!

Im sure some of the window/mirror controls are from the Mk2!!

Look at the picture I posted above - they were in my 182.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The mirror switch in my 2015 vivaro (Renault made), is the same as a ph1 Clio.

Suppose some things just aren't worth redesigning