ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
After a better look post Cadwell, the damage to the drivers door area, from the start line bump, was worse than first thought. Sill badly damaged, door beyond repair, skirt smashed and some funky suspension angles going on.

Automax, Banbury came to the rescue, pulled out the damaged sill and fitted a new steering arm and lower ball joint. We have spare doors at Burpspeed HQ but thought this a good time to loose some weight.

A pair of fibreglass doors were ordered saving nearly 30kgs from the butchered stock doors.

Some vinyl wrap finished them off nicely (5th shade of white on the car now).

All ready for Oulton Park now. Should be good as we found some more pace in pre-season testing and with the cars recent diet we should be competitive.

20130904_180405.jpg

20130905_161148.jpg

20130905_164632.jpg

20130920_150939.jpg

20130922_114043.jpg

20130922_115700.jpg

That is all.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Looks a bit plain now.

What, no tyre marks? The numbers are on now, so It looks a little better, also in that pic, the car was filthy, not been washed since Cadwell, and been sat uncovered outside my house.

But it's not washed up too bad, I don't care, it stops me from falling out the car.

182cup & 172 racecar
Morning wristers.

Welcome to a fresh dewy morning at oulton.
Lights have just come on, so time for a cup of tea and a poo.
James had a good day yesterday, and I spent half the day putting up gazibos and tents for people lol.
Anyway, loking forward to today, and if it stays dry, its going to be fun.

Lots of clios here, and it's good to see some new faces.
Welcome Dinger and Russ.

Im off for weight saving duties, see some uou later.

X

182cup & 172 racecar
Our Green and Black road block in the 2nd race

2013NipponOultonRace273_zps0fd72402.jpg

2013NipponOultonRace275_zpsdd4554de.jpg

Couldn't get to Russ. Well done mate.

2013NipponOultonRace2103_zps8b32081f.jpg

And a generation apart.

2013NipponOultonRace206_zps5d5861cc.jpg

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks like good racing again! Lol at the 'Colgate doors' and more dents! Moving road block looks frustrating. Oh, and I like the fact you are now deploying the 'wrister' insult. My work here is done.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
They're good pics tony, who took them? That 200sx done me a real favour, in that race. I had to have a lunge at him in race 1 into the second chicane, managed to outbrake him and get away on the last lap.

182cup & 172 racecar
Looks like Donington is a very busy weekend.

[h=1]National Car Championship Finals (BRSCC)[/h]October 19th & 20th
Several championship battles will go down to the wire at the two-day BRSCC Finals Weekend, which concludes the Club’s season.
Both the Mighty & Super Mighty Minis Championships are regular cliff-hangers with one driver jubilant and the other dejected. The Toyo Tires Porsche Championship, Formula Jedi, the Arrowpak Euro Saloons, the Advantage Motorsport Ford XR Challenge and the Teekay Couplings Production GTi championships will all have their last rounds at Donington so there will be plenty of adventurous overtaking manoeuvres as drivers battle all the way to the line.
Supporting the meeting will be the Nippon Challenge Winter Series, the Civic Cup and Superkarts.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Are people camping? Think I might hotel it bit chilly by then and Oulton was a long day driving it!

182cup & 172 racecar
Oulton Race 1 report.

The day started early as usual, with the pre race poo No1, I like circuits in the early hours, seems unreal somehow, all quiet and nobody about.

20130928_060151.jpg

Anyway time for a smoke and a cup of tea, whilst watching people arrive whilst trying not to wake James, who was asleep in his car, all wrapped up like a hibernating hamster.

The lads started to arrive, long driver Mike and camper Nick (take that how you will).

Car was basically done, as I had been there the day before, but no testing for me.

Scrutineering was fine, signing on not so good, tried to present last years licence!! oops quick panic, but Helen was to the rescue, she had already got it out for me. Men :rolleyes:.

Quali was interesting, the car wanted to go off on it's own every time I turned in, left or right, I put this down to changing the tyres around, and not being bedded in.

Red flag after one lap, great, not what I needed, or anybody else I would suspect. But it was due to Mr Addison's 106 going bang, which was a shame, as it would have been nice to see it in full flight.

Quite happy with 6th considering the amount of times I'd left the black stuff.

The line up was familiar, me sat behind James and Ian. Lights out and I got a blinder of a start, and nipped in front of the other two and sat behind the Saxo, boy that thing is rapid, but chasing him had given me a small gap on the other two Clios.

Line up.
b57_12117_19414531.jpeg

My little gap.
2013NipponOultonRace131_zps63f3431a.jpg

Tried to settle into a rhythm, but I could now see Ian gradually gaining bit by bit and I couldn't push the car any harder.

Ian made a good move on me at Lodge corner, fair enough. Whilst following Ian, for some reason the brake pedal was going very solid, still working, but needing a lot of pressure to do so.

Now James was behind, but not close, but when I had to brake slightly early for Shell I looked into the mirror and all I could see was smoke, tyre smoke.

James was on full lock up, and there was only one place he was going to end up, in my side, bang! the impact must of flung my arm out, because when I tried to pull off the grass, the car just died, balls, no pushing of the start button would bring it back to life, "it always starts" I think, then looking around, I notice the ecu switch was in the off position??? A quick flick of switch and we are away, while all this was happening I saw at least 4-5 cars go by, so now the chase was on.

Kev in the Clio 200 didn't make it easy (why should he) but got past in the end, now I could see James and a Mr2 up ahead, managed to pass them both as we were going under Warwick Bridge right on the last lap.

Catching up
2013NipponOultonRace1136_zps5e9839b9.jpg

Done it.
9997188704_d94387cded_b.jpg

7th overall wasn't too bad seeming it was an interesting 15 mins.

James was very quick to apologise after the race, but I guess I was a little hard on him at the time, as I was well miffed and he knew it.

Dingers boy's Paul and James + Nick and Mike gave the car a good bashing with hammer's and a BIG crowbar (thanks Russ), luckily my new door after Cadwell wasn't damaged, this stopped me from exploding.
Another check around, found the the rear wheel bearing having some play in it after the impact. James kindly offered me his spare disc, and seeming he wasn't doing race 2 because of a bad gearbox leak ( this had caused the lock up before the accident) I gladly accepted.

Trying to sort brakes
2013OultonPaddock65_zps035d6c61.jpg