ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Lionel Richie
^easy to figure out why, its been shimmed to tight, when its cold it'll be perfect, when its hot it'll be too tight = phil mycrackin box

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
^easy to figure out why, its been shimmed to tight, when its cold it'll be perfect, when its hot it'll be too tight = phil mycrackin box

When hot, then the ally case will expand more than the steel diff sat in it (almost exactly twice as much in fact), so surely it will get looser not tighter when hot?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
It did sound painfull, 10/10 for manliness ;-)

Moments before this I was looking at the back of the gearbox and that bonnet would of swallowed me lol

I was expecting laughter! Haha

Another name to a face as well :)

No worries James, you need a lighter bonnet though!

na they need a clearance when cold

Shimming is done to set the preload on the bearings so when cold the diff bearings have no clearance and the bearings 'drag'.
They are set that way so when the gearbox casing expands when the gearbox is up to tempature the diff bearings (and other bearing) have the correct clearance and preload to control the gear thrust loads.
If the gearbox is getting too hot you can finish up with not enough/any preload and the gears and cwp can move hammering their bearing housings and the gearbox casing, that is why many race cars run gearbox coolers, especially if extra air cannot be ducted to the gearbox.

Steve

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Suprised you didnt stay in 4th for old hall and cascades - didnt seam much gain in taking 3rd from the video

Shimming is done to set the preload on the bearings so when cold the diff bearings have no clearance and the bearings 'drag'.
They are set that way so when the gearbox casing expands when the gearbox is up to tempature the diff bearings (and other bearing) have the correct clearance and preload to control the gear thrust loads.
If the gearbox is getting too hot you can finish up with not enough/any preload and the gears and cwp can move hammering their bearing housings and the gearbox casing, that is why many race cars run gearbox coolers, especially if extra air cannot be ducted to the gearbox.

Steve

Didn't James say his gearbox oil was getting way too hot?

I know a few lads that have fitted gearbox oil coolers to their race cars

Cup In bits
Preloading taper bearings so that they are at the right tension (manufacturers recomended).....on a diff after bearing setting you would typically use a Newton gauge on the crown wheel to measure its resistance to spin.

Suprised you didnt stay in 4th for old hall and cascades - didnt seam much gain in taking 3rd from the video
Yes I thought the same when I watched the video back but i'm sure I tried it on Friday and it didn't work too well, my engine has a very small window of power so have to do alot of gear changing.

black 172 phase1
im curious too know how the roll centre adjusters have performed if you had a chance to run around on them

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
James said to me best value for money modification lap time wise he has done.. says a lot..

im curious too know how the roll centre adjusters have performed if you had a chance to run around on them
As Jamie says I was very impressed. On the test day the car was turning in so much better that I kept hitting the marker posts on apexs as I just wasn't expecting it. If you look at my quali lap that was a 1:59.4 there was a lot of time left on the table (missed apex at old hall, poor entry to cascades, very slow and wrong gear through shell oils, driving like a pansy into Druids and braking too early for the final corner) the could of done a low 58 and that I'm sure of. Last year I was doing 2.02's but a few other bits have changed too.

When do they go on sale? ;)
I need to find a bit of time to bash through the data properly (hopefully this afternoon) and then I think we are good to go :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
in 8 years of doing JC5's mate i haven't had one come back yet ;)

TBH im not quite sure how if that involves fitting a lot of grippers and you think that when ally expands with steel in it that it gets tighter not looser!

Or do you farm the work out to someone else rather than do it personally yourself anyway? (in which case all that matters it that they know what they are doing not that you do of course!)

Lionel Richie
I do most myself, only farm them out when they have holes in them, Quaife diffs are the worst for shimming, stock OE diffs are lovely, you can throw them in!

Things are looking on track for Donington! Collected a box yesterday so that's ready to fit. I will either get my gripper built into another casing over winter by Gripper themselves or sell the diff on separately. I just needed a quick solution so managed to source another box with a diff in. Fred has sorted the bits for the engine (thankfully doesn't need many parts or much time) so hopefully I can sort that early next week. Car back together by the end of next week which will give me 3 non working days to get the geo done, mapping and a little shakedown test somewhere before Donington. 16 days to go!

Massive thanks to everyone who has offered me parts/help to get me back out there! Fingers crossed for a good weekend at Donington :)

Megane r26
Cracking news James, good to here that's its gonna be back out for donnington. Me and Marc were saying how we'd be up there. (prob all weekend knowing me as I'm 5 minutes away lol)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Its almost the cost of a race weekend mind so will see how the numbers look!

James good news on finding another box so quickly!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Good news on Donny James.

Mark / James - i'd snap the hubs up tomorrow, except after moving house and saving for ITBs...I am broke :(

I'll have a set in 6 months. Pllleeeaassseee still be making them. :)