ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

172 Race Car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

+1

Even tho I was there and know what happened

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Brands Hatch weekend:

Sorry for this coming 10 days late, I have been run off my feet with work, moving house and now working on the car.

We started off on the Sunday by heading to TDF where I met up with Matt who kindly gave up his day off to come in and let me use the workshop for fitting the graphics to the car. We got all of that done and had a good laugh doing it and a few other bits and bobs, Then got a call from Tony to say it was chucking it down at Brands which is not what we wanted to hear :( I got the car loaded onto the trailer and took it straight down to circuit so that it was there ready for the race on Monday. Upon arriving at the circuit it finally set in that I was at first race, the excitement had been building for weeks and luckily nerves still hadn’t got the better of me.

When I got into the paddock I managed to find the Burpspeed Hospitality suite pretty easily and managed to get parked up next to them. Tony had offered to cook me and my mate dinner and what a great dinner it was! We had a nice relaxed evening chatting away and lost track of time :) A massive thanks to Tony and Helen for feeding us and keeping us dry for the night. It really got the meeting off to a good start and I went off to find the hotel in a happy and excitable mood. The hotel was supposed to be 10 minutes away and I thought I knew where it was. Somehow my sat-nav managed to get me so lost and we ended up taking an hour to find it.

I made sure I was tired the night before so that I could actually get some sleep and not just sit awake all night thinking about the imminent race. I managed to get a solid 4 and a bit hours and then was up bright and early to get to Brands. Upon arriving I went to meet Tony and also went and saw Pete and Sam. I didn’t really have much to do then as TDF were supporting me so I just had to go to the novice driver briefing which I did with Pete and Sam. After this I just had a few jobs to do ready for the day, I had to adjust the camera setup, data logger and a few other bits.

I was starting to get worried that I wasn’t feeling nervous but just chilled out. The whole atmosphere on the day was great TDF, Fellow CS members who came down to watch, Toast and all the Burpspeed crew meant that we had a really good group of us.

d9ae63c1.jpg

It was then time to sign on and get the car signed off by the scrutineers, this was the stage I was worried about the most because of the full rebuild although Matt was 100% sure the car would be fine and sure enough it was just me being worried about nothing.

Then we headed over to the collecting area where the car was noise tested, it read at 101db which is a lot higher than at Snetterton where it only read 95db so not sure why that happened. Once again still not nervous so proceeded down the pit lane and formed in the queue for the session. The car was still running the initial setup that has been on it from day 1, this is a safe pretty much stock setup running the shocks on full soft, still decent ride height and the ARB disconnected. This meant that I could get out and push pretty quickly in Qualifying which gave me some confidence as it meant I overtook a few people and didn’t get overtaken at all. The car was driving very differently to when I was last at the circuit a few weeks prior. The car had a brand new set off R888’s all round so I presumed it was just down to this. My plan had been to go out do a few laps to get the tyres hot and then come in and check pressures. After a few laps a car decided it wanted to go play in the sand so out came the safety car, I used this as an opportunity to come in and do tyre pressures etc. After this I followed two other cars down the pit lane. I could see the traffic light at the end of the pit lane on red with a blue flashing light and thought I needed to stop, the other two went straight through it so I presumed I was wrong and just followed them. I went back out and finished the rest of the session without anything eventful happening other than the car didn’t feel great to drive compared to the previous track day. When I came in Al from TDF told me I had qualified in 20[SUP]th[/SUP] place with a 59.8, I was ecstatic with that which may sound odd but I have always gone into this process with realistic expectations and for me 20[SUP]th[/SUP] was a good starting point. I then drove down to the end of the pitlane to go back to the paddock where I was stopped and told I needed to see the clerk of the course. This is when I suddenly got very worried, at the time I didn’t realise what I had done wrong and thought it may have been for me using too much kerb on the exit of Graham Hill bend. They called me into the office and explained the situation. They looked at the list of entries and saw that there were no reserve places for the series so no body could fill my space. If there were reserves then they said I would have been kicked out of the rest of the meeting. I was apologetic and put my hands up. They deleted my times from Qualifying so this meant I had to start dead last and also got 4 penalty points put on my competition licence (Works the same as a UK driving licence) At least I could still race but I was totally gutted about the points!

I then had the walk back to the paddock on my own where I was furious with myself, Really kicking myself (my usual way of dealing with things when I f**k up) I got back and explained what had happened and was told to not worry and forget about it. I don’t know why but for the following couple of hours I was down! Matt came over and gave me a hug/ pep talk which seemed to work and then I got on with the bits and bob’s I had to do before the race. I explained how the car was feeling and tried to work out with the video and data where I was going wrong. We compared my quickest lap in qualifying to my quickest from the track day and could see that even though I was on new tyres and had 100kg’s less weight in the car I was still slower round the whole lap, this really confused me but then when watching the video back I could see that the car was really suffering from bad weight transfer even though I was trying to keep it as balanced as possible. What I was doing was trailing the brakes so deep into the corner in order to keep the car balanced that I was loosing too much speed. The fact was the extra grip from the new 888’s meant the car wanted to roll a lot more and the car needed to be considerably harder. Matt was very keen to stiffen everything up and was really confident that they could do wonders to get it better for the race. Stupidly I opted not to let them because I felt that while the existing setup was slow I knew how the car would react and knew that I could still do okay even though the car wasn’t going to be as fast as it could have been. 20 minutes before the race when it was clear that it wasn’t going to rain we went up 6 clicks all round but this was a conservative approach rather than a big change. The TDF guys were working really hard an faultlessly making sure that everything ran smoothly throughout the day which it did so massive thanks to them.

It was then the end of the day and ready for our race, I got all sorted in the car and had one quick practice at the pit stop procedure. We went off to the collecting area nice and early to make sure we were there in time and no issues arose. Unfortunately there had been a shunt at the start of the previous race which delayed it so we ended up being sat there for a lot longer than planned. This wasn’t great because it gave me time to sit there and get nervous but it wasn’t too bad. I think it helped that I started at the back because I knew I could only go up or off lol.

We then got the signal to start the engines and proceed to the grid, the marshals then showed me to my grid slot, I made a mental note that it was the right hand spot adjacent to garage 19. The marshals then went running off the track and I suddenly thought that they were missing out a green flag lap. Luckily not though and the front of the pack set off, I did a quickish start to get an idea of where I needed the rev’s clutch etc to be. Then went round the warm up lap and lined up in my slot, selected 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear and got my eyes strained to see the lights at the front of the field. I saw the lights go out and it all went into slow motion no-body seemed to do anything but I had already picked the clutch up so was off, I then thought I had made another mistake like the pit lane lights so dipped the clutch back in for a second until everyone else got going. I was on the right of the circuit and had a car directly to my left so couldn’t move across to overtake the car in front. This meant I had to sit behind them and I had to really get off the power as you can see in the video. I took the first corner very carefully and was already up one place. Later on in the lap I got alongside Pete in the blue Clio but this wasn’t for long as I always got a poor exit from clearways and really lacked the pace to keep up in a straight line so he was past. I then over the next few laps had a few nice tussles and gradually started to make progress. Al from TDF gave me a signal to show when the pit lane opened as it was the intension to do it straight away and get it done. I was feeling quite settled though so stayed out. There was a coming together at Druids which brought the safety car out and I was two cars behind it. I opted to pit straight away. I knew that I would have to have a really quick stop to get to the end of the pit lane and out the other end before the train got past and the lights turned red. In the heat of the moment I jumped out, shut the door and then opened and got back in. I then totally forgot that I needed help with my belts and so shut the door only to realise that I needed someone to pass me the belts. This lost me time and as I was about 15 meters away from the lights they turned to red :( I ended up being sat at the end of the pit lane for what seemed like ages. Unlike on a track day where you do a cool down lap I had come storming into the pit lane at full temps so while I was sat at the end of the pit lane the coolant temps were rising rapidly and I was getting concerned. After a couple of minutes of me sat swearing and stressing about the temperatures the lights turned green and off I went. I joined the back of the train behind the safety car but didn’t realise that we were supposed to go quite so fast, I dropped back quite abit and then the safety car came in I really messed up on the restart and held up quite a few people but it was a learning experience and I know it now won’t happen again. The rest of the race went well, unfortunately all the places I had made up before the pit stops where lost again in the pits so I ended up having to do it all again. This was great for me though as it gave me some great experience. The car was better than in qualifying which meant I could get into the 58’s but it still was along way off where it could have been. The thing to take was the consistency was good and I was able to catch some cars that maybe had a better fastest lap but couldn’t do them consistently. I had a thud about 5 laps before the end and thought it was something to do with the clutch as it had started to slip so I took it carefully into the next corner but then it was fine so carried on :) The car was still running really hot and at 105 I was thinking about retiring as it really wasn’t worth loosing the engine for but finally the temps started to drop once I got some clear air. I had great fun trying to get past Sam in the other clio and finally managed it which then meant I could go after a few others. Towards the end of the race Tony was catching me up to lap me and I kept over towards the pit wall so it was clear I wasn’t going to move over, he then pulled alongside the red car with a dodgy wheel that failed as he was alongside, The driver nearly lost control and both the front and back of the car nearly hit the Burpspeed car. I backed off as I had another car coming to lap me and I didn’t want the wheel coming loose and flying toward my car! It was then the final lap, I was coming into clearways for the last time and was pushing a little too hard, the car was unsettled and meant I couldn’t safely get on the brakes this pushed me wide and I thought I was going into the gravel. Luckily I managed to only get two wheels off track and pulled it back on to take the chequered flag. This is going to sound super gay but coming across the finishing line was actually quite emotional, I have had a tough few months with the car and to get to the end of the first race felt like a great achievement. I didn’t have a clue where I had finished but I had had such fun I really couldn’t of given a toss! I was screaming in the car with excitement and the buzz is not even describable. Just those few minutes have made the whole process worth it. I came into the pits and was shouting out through the car for where I had finished. I was told 15[SUP]th[/SUP]/16[SUP]th[/SUP] and I was over the moon with that! I only wanted to finish so that result was better than expected and to say I had the delay in the pit stops!

The whole weekend was great fun from start to finish, as always massive thanks to TDF for there help in getting the car running so well on the day with no major issues, Burpspeed as ever for all there advice and also hospitality also all the support from various CS members who came down on the day including many awesome photos as a result! This place has given me so much information over the last year and without it I would be a lot worse off!

The main aim as said was to finish and gain some experience, I am really happy that I managed to finish and the amount that I have learnt even in the space of one day was immense. I have got many things to carry forward to future events and hopefully by next year me and the car will be upto speed and getting some good results.

I have uploaded the full video to youtube, this was for two reasons. One I couldn’t get the editing software to work and two I thought it would be too easy for me to edit out all of my shoddy driving and just show the clips of me rarely getting it right. So what you will see is a lot of mistakes from me, the wrong lines and a whole variety of other things such as me shouting at the car at the end of the pitlane lol. The video really shows under the pressure of the race I forgot to do some really simple things and for that reason I won’t be showing it to my instructor as he will tell me off lol ;) I think it shows all of the mistakes that can be made as a novice and although it is a long video to watch anyone who is thinking of going racing should have a watch and learn from my mistakes because looking back I can’t believe how badly I was driving in places but I guess that is the advantage of video to watch back and in time I’m sure it will become more natural!

[video=youtube_share;8K-geGv5BU4]http://youtu.be/8K-geGv5BU4[/video]

I have now got a list of a few jobs that need doing before it’s next trip out of the garage which is in 8 days time at Anglesey and I will do a write up next week with progress from that but it’s currently sat in the garage in many pieces while I try to gain some understanding of how its all put together.

Quite a timely day to put this report up seen as how it was exactly a year ago to this day that I went and bought the car in the first place, It has come on a long way and I can’t wait for the rest of the season now :) Thanks as ever for reading and I hope I haven’t bored you all too much!

Best Wishes
James

19e00a83.jpg

99dc95e7.jpg

My Sexy pit boy ;)
077c98e2.jpg

76a79623.jpg

52d06cf0.jpg

a5f350ef.jpg

8abdce3f.jpg

428d076a.jpg

cf93d394.jpg

1066d387.jpg

11219444.jpg

Please see the link below for the photos from the day as there were too many to link I am also still adding more from the day

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb349/BIGASHOPR/Brands CSCC Race 2012/

Wow thats a big bulk of text :dead: think I need to go back and get some more english classes from school!

Great write up James. What other cscc races are you doing this year?

Evo 5 RS
Aw. ;)

Not gay at all by the way mate, you must of been exhausted by the time you crossed the finish line. Congrats on a great result to your first race.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sounds like an eventful first outing :)

You hoping to do a full season next year?

Looking forward to seeing the car at llandow.

Great write up James. What other cscc races are you doing this year?
Thanks Jack :) I'm doing Anglesey, Donington and Oulton but now also hoping to shuffle some things around and do mallory but that won't be until nearer the time that I know about that :)
Aw. ;)

Not gay at all by the way mate, you must of been exhausted by the time you crossed the finish line. Congrats on a great result to your first race.
Haha thanks mate :) Surprisingly not just buzzing! Managed to get all the way back to Ilkley from Brands and then back to Nottingham before getting any sleep I think it was all the adrenaline :)
Sounds like an eventful first outing :)

You hoping to do a full season next year?

Looking forward to seeing the car at llandow.
Yeah it was a bit ;)

Hoping to do and also a few other separate races back end of 2013 but everything comes down to money and i'm on the hunt for a second driver as it would make the costs much more sensible.

Thanks i'm really looking forward to Llandow although I'm going to of adjusted the setup and geo myself before the day so it may well be handling like a dog lol!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Excellent write up worth the wait!

172 Race Car

Top job mate, will watch video later

Great writeup - brilliant video. Love your driving, it's just the right amount of aggressive lol
It takes a lot I think on your first day to go out and attack like that on track - superb!

The car looks phenomenal as well - if I can get mine looking half as good as yours I'll be over the moon

Thanks all :) Sorry again for it taking so long to be put up!

Thanks Phil, Looking back there are a few passes I should of been more committed to but on the whole I was a lot more comfortable than I expected to be :) Really nice comments mate, means a lot to me so thanks! See you in a week ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Starting at the back probably gave you a bit of a help with practicing racecraft as it meant it put you behind some slower cars right from the start rather than having to wait till you came to lap them :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Thats what we said on the day, not such a bad place to be really on your first outing.

Only have to watch in front.

Starting at the back probably gave you a bit of a help with practicing racecraft as it meant it put you behind some slower cars right from the start rather than having to wait till you came to lap them :)
Yeah definitely and gave me a lot of experience in just one race, plenty to take away and learn from :)
Thats what we said on the day, not such a bad place to be really on your first outing.

Only have to watch in front.
Exactly :) And watch for you guys coming round to lap me ;)

182cup & 172 racecar

See what you mean about the red car now, it was close, good job I was on a mission, wouldn't have fancied a tap going into Paddock.:eek:

James - Having watched that vid, I swear you said to me that you had a diff in that car? Looking at Druids it seems to be lighting the wheel/s up like mad!

172 Race Car

Coz hes using 2nd gear, dispite what we told him

James - Having watched that vid, I swear you said to me that you had a diff in that car? Looking at Druids it seems to be lighting the wheel/s up like mad!
Yes got the quaife fitted but like Jay says I use 2nd through druids and sometimes just dumped my foot down so still lights up :)
Coz hes using 2nd gear, dispite what we told him
You've seen what it's like out of clear ways in third imagine at druids :p I'm sure once i'm going round the corners at the same speeds as you guys (if ever) then I will be fine in third, I listen to everything else I promise :approve:
Good Video, great first race!!!

lol, getting told off now....
Thanks Pete, yes I think we all loved it didn't we :) Can't wait for next time out!

Haha I love getting told off ;)

You've seen what it's like out of clear ways in third imagine at druids :p I'm sure once i'm going round the corners at the same speeds as you guys (if ever) then I will be fine in third, I listen to everything else I promise :approve:

I'm intrigued, what does it do? lol

It doesn't do much at all lol, I think it's because i'm cornering slowly its just out of the rev range for the torque, hence having to use lower gears to get it in the sweet spot. Looking back it's probably because I chose to go with the non vvt and was told to expect this but didn't think i'd be out of the sweet spot!

I did notice the difference when you were following me and then Sam out of Clearways\Clark curve watching your video....will keeping your revs higher\lower gear keep you there?

Yes Pete was quite depressing and was happening against pretty much all the cars, I think its just a mixture of not the right line through clear ways so i'm going too slowly round it. As soon as I get into the upper rev's it flys! When you compare Rev's-Speed on the data logger its hilarious because the speed line goes up gradually and then when the revs pick up it gets near vertical lol

Being in the lowest gear possible really helps but being in second out of clear ways wouldn't really work I don't think as it would need third only about 5 seconds after the apex and not an ideal place to change as the car is still under load from the corner :(

Tricky one really, Just need to get faster and then it shouldn't be an issue :) Working on that next week though hopefully!

182cup & 172 racecar

I would actually like to try it on a circuit, just to see what it was like.

Couldn't really tell at Brunters.(couldn't reach the pedals)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

It doesn't do much at all lol, I think it's because i'm cornering slowly its just out of the rev range for the torque, hence having to use lower gears to get it in the sweet spot. Looking back it's probably because I chose to go with the non vvt and was told to expect this but didn't think i'd be out of the sweet spot!

pretty much why between us we decided to spec down the burpspeed engine and not push the power band too high. Jay and Tony both mentioned wanting more lower down for coming out of corners after last year.

go in faster and hold on tight :D

I would actually like to try it on a circuit, just to see what it was like.

Couldn't really tell at Brunters.(couldn't reach the pedals)
Definitely Tony I would love you to and then can actually see how much of the slowness is down to me ;) We will get the seat in the right position for you and then you can have a play! Give it a try at Llandow or Anglesey test if you fancy :)
pretty much why between us we decided to spec down the burpspeed engine and not push the power band too high. Jay and Tony both mentioned wanting more lower down for coming out of corners after last year.

go in faster and hold on tight :D
Yeah I think it was a good move for you guys to do that Dan, looking back I wished i'd just stuck with VVT and it could of helped out but hopefully shouldn't be too bad if I try your go faster and hold on approach ;)