ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Oh, I thought that was your old one for messing about in.
It was my old one but I have said to myself I'm not allowed to buy a new one until I hit my target from loosing weight so I'm just going to have to clean this one up for now :) It's dated 2009 so I think it still has a few years left in it!

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Does racewear have an fia expiry date like seats and harnesses do?

182cup & 172 racecar

:butt: swapping teams then ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It was my old one but I have said to myself I'm not allowed to buy a new one until I hit my target from loosing weight so I'm just going to have to clean this one up for now :) It's dated 2009 so I think it still has a few years left in it!

Ive lost just over a stone recently (last 4 weeks or so), as I have recently restarted TaeKwondo and wanted to slim down a bit for it, its not monstrously hard to lose weight if you are fairly strict with it.

Ive found lettuce and cold meats to be a good way of still getting enough protein to function down the gym while avoiding carbs and calories fairly well so you lose a bit of weight at the same time.

This was my lunch today for example:
f75e9182.jpg

Not exactly exciting but seems to be working ok so far.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

egg and bacon sarny please.

Indeed, I properly hate diet food but sometimes it just has to be done for a while so that I can get back to the normal excesses of my life again without ever ending up too massive.

Got from 15-3/4 stone down to 14 stone a few years ago but have slowly crept back up ever since and was at nearly 16-3/4 stone this time when I started the diet a few weeks ago. Am down to just over 15-1/2 now so about halfway back to the low 14s again which is all I want to get down to as I actually like having a bit of meat on me, my larger than life personality wouldnt suit being a skinny runt, lol

fancy rims. ;)
Thanks mate :) They look much better in person and not with pictures from a battered Blackberry lol
Like^^^^

One on Burpspeed. ;)
Thanks Mike :) Haha lol!
Ive lost just over a stone recently (last 4 weeks or so), as I have recently restarted TaeKwondo and wanted to slim down a bit for it, its not monstrously hard to lose weight if you are fairly strict with it.

Ive found lettuce and cold meats to be a good way of still getting enough protein to function down the gym while avoiding carbs and calories fairly well so you lose a bit of weight at the same time.

Not exactly exciting but seems to be working ok so far.
Good going mate :) Yes i have done it before and lost 3 stone when I was going to race a Caterham but then didn't go through with it and then it all slipped. I keep blaming being busy and not having time to cook etc but I have said once I get into summer then I'm going to stick to it and get sorted :)

I could never eat lettuce though :dead: lol. As I mentioned to you before I am worlds fussiest eater!
All we get in our house....married to a dietician......
My Girlfriend is a dietitian and I get moaned at 24/7 :( Apparently Im not a good example for her, I did say when I first met her that she wasn't allowed to have a go at me for eating junk :)
my larger than life personality wouldnt suit being a skinny runt, lol
LOL :p

My Girlfriend is a dietitian and I get moaned at 24/7 :( Apparently Im not a good example for her, I did say when I first met her that she wasn't allowed to have a go at me for eating junk :)

Ha ha...must admit I eat cakes etc at work like there's no tomorrow...had 3 or was it 5 today...someone's birthday...though I do cycle 18-20 miles a day so sort off can eat what I want really. Is your GF working private or NHS, Sam's in NHS at Addenbrooks.

Ha ha...must admit I eat cakes etc at work like there's no tomorrow...had 3 or was it 5 today...someone's birthday...though I do cycle 18-20 miles a day so sort off can eat what I want really. Is your GF working private or NHS, Sam's in NHS at Addenbrooks.
Haha, thats the way :) Yeah I don't do much exercise at the moment so need to get sorted! NHS Reading at the moment she is just finishing her degree so its her last placement. I would say that Soph would appreciate talking to Sam about it but I doubt Sophie will ever come to the races she HATES the car lol (I even offered her an ARDS test for her b'day next week and she declined :( haha)

182cup & 172 racecar

But Pete you is a skinny fkkr, if I sniff a cake I put on 2lbs :(

Haha, thats the way :) Yeah I don't do much exercise at the moment so need to get sorted! NHS Reading at the moment she is just finishing her degree so its her last placement. I would say that Soph would appreciate talking to Sam about it but I doubt Sophie will ever come to the races she HATES the car lol (I even offered her an ARDS test for her b'day next week and she declined :( haha)

Can ask Sam if your GF can email her if you want...Lucky with Sam that she's into petrol....saves a whole lot of pain!

But Pete you is a skinny fkkr, if I sniff a cake I put on 2lbs :(

LOL, 79kgs, wet, I have you know....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Good going mate :) Yes i have done it before and lost 3 stone when I was going to race a Caterham but then didn't go through with it and then it all slipped. I keep blaming being busy and not having time to cook etc but I have said once I get into summer then I'm going to stick to it and get sorted :)

I could never eat lettuce though :dead: lol. As I mentioned to you before I am worlds fussiest eater!

I cant stand lettuce either, but its amazing what you can eat if you are hungry enough, lol

As least if you have done it before though you obviously have a method that works for you :)

second driver you say, contact sam@btm!

Clio 172

Looking forward to seeing the car in full track guise.

Can ask Sam if your GF can email her if you want...Lucky with Sam that she's into petrol....saves a whole lot of pain!
I'm still trying to drag Soph along to the first race so still got a chance yet :) But thanks for the offer Pete! Yes I wish Soph was :(
I cant stand lettuce either, but its amazing what you can eat if you are hungry enough, lol

As least if you have done it before though you obviously have a method that works for you :)
Haha I just have no will power at the moment so don't get myself the hungry stage!

Yes it took a lot of work though, just need to get back in the rhythm :)
second driver you say, contact sam@btm!
Haha he would make me look crap! lol In all fairness that's exactly what I want really because then I know how much I need to improve!
Looking forward to seeing the car in full track guise.
Yeah me too I was looking forward to doing it on Friday but need to sort the wrap out first as said on FB :(

Just got in from the garage, Got home from a few weeks away and upon opening the garage was greeted with a puddle of oil :( I proceeded to jack the car up and removed the under tray. I was confused as to where it was coming from as it came from the sump but the sump looked fine. Dried and cleaned everything up and within 30 seconds it was seeping out of two minute cracks in the sump :( I don't have a clue how I have got them as it hasn't hit anything and it's had the under tray on so nothing could of hit it but they weren't there last time I had the under tray off so it's happened at some point since Brands!

This means Teeside test tomorrow is now off the cards and it's just a case of getting it loaded up tomorrow and down to TDF to get sorted!

I have got to give a massive thank you to Matt@TDF I text him at nearly 11pm and he still replied! The guy is a legend and is always so willing to go out of his way to help :) Also big thank to Jay for calming me down as I was fuming at the time and he made me see it wasn't as bad as I first thought :)

Not much else really to update just hope I can get the car all sorted before the race as it would be a shame to miss it! I really don't know why I am having so much bad luck with this car, It seems that mirror I smashed really has F**ked things up lol. Anyhow I will stick with it and not be beaten :)

Over and out

Also went to fire it up to get it on the trailer and the battery is dead! I'm on my own so pushing it up onto the trailer isn't an option I'm just hoping my 15 year old battery charger will sort it out by the morning :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Bloody hell James you pick your time to find bad luck :dapprove: Hope you get it sorted out soon mate !

Edit, was it running ok when you last used it ?

182cup & 172 racecar

FKN EL James, anything else.

Hope you'll get it all sorted, bit stressful though. I've got in the habit of disconnecting my battery and keeping a 1-2 watt solar charger on it as mine has drained a couple of times. Strange about the cracks though, can be welded perhaps.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Has your trailer not got a winch?

Well worth buying one if not, they arent exactly dear and if you properly smash a wheel back or something its going to be the only way you'll drag it on really.

It's been completely pulled apart and put back together - bound to have some teething problems.

I'm sure it'll settle down - lucky it happened now and not in a weeks time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Also worth buying a decent jump pack, mine was only about 60 quid IIRC and will happily start a car.

Bloody hell James you pick your time to find bad luck :dapprove: Hope you get it sorted out soon mate !

Edit, was it running ok when you last used it ?
Haha I dont pick anytime it just seems to happen all the time :p Thanks Colin, Yes well apart from the PAS cutting out and the bust CV boot but they are minor lol
FKN EL James, anything else.
I'm sure there will be, The whole reason for the test was to make sure the PAS was working so that could be the next issue :)
Hope you'll get it all sorted, bit stressful though. I've got in the habit of disconnecting my battery and keeping a 1-2 watt solar charger on it as mine has drained a couple of times. Strange about the cracks though, can be welded perhaps.
Yes I think i'm just going to hook up a trickle charger to it when i'm away and use an anderson plug for that and also a grid start :) It is strange and looks like stress fractures as they are pretty much invisible and no signs of a hit etc :(
Has your trailer not got a winch?

Well worth buying one if not, they arent exactly dear and if you properly smash a wheel back or something its going to be the only way you'll drag it on really.
No it doesn't unfortunately, I think as you say might be a good idea to look at getting one :)
It's been completely pulled apart and put back together - bound to have some teething problems.

I'm sure it'll settle down - lucky it happened now and not in a weeks time.
Very true mate, I think this can just be blamed on a dodgy sump really and move on but after so many bit's and bobs going wrong it's tough lol! Yes that is very true although I'm sure knowing Matt he would still have it sorted if it was even the day before the race lol
Also worth buying a decent jump pack, mine was only about 60 quid IIRC and will happily start a car.
Yes I was actually looking at them last week and found one with an anderson plug so going to wire that up when I get some time in May :)

I have spoken with Matt and he has said to bring it down and they will get it sorted with all the other prep on the car, He really has saved my bacon on many occasions! I owe him a massive thank you :)

182cup & 172 racecar

At least it's not an engine out job, that would be a ball ache.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

When I bought my Raceshuttle from Brian James I had a winch fitted, but since upgraded that to an electric one. So if the original winch will fit your trailer you can have it. Its brand new and never been used

182cup & 172 racecar

Went to our local scrap yard the other day, and they had loads and loads of electric winches stacked up outside.

Got me thinking now, what if........

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Went to our local scrap yard the other day, and they had loads and loads of electric winches stacked up outside.

Got me thinking now, what if........

Best to be safe than sorry, another thing to add to the do list?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

all sorted or on the road to repair now james?
may fire you an email over later

I have got to give a massive thank you to Matt@TDF I text him at nearly 11pm and he still replied! The guy is a legend and is always so willing to go out of his way to help :)

lmao, he was out on the town that night.. judging by his (and al`s) appearance saturday morning you caught him just before the beer took over hahahaha

At least it's not an engine out job, that would be a ball ache.
I thought it was at first which is why I was so stressed haha! I couldn't work out how it would come off without splitting it from the Gearbox but then I worked it out with bait of assistance from Jay :)
When I bought my Raceshuttle from Brian James I had a winch fitted, but since upgraded that to an electric one. So if the original winch will fit your trailer you can have it. Its brand new and never been used
Thanks for that Lee :) If you don't need it then that would be great and I'm sure I can make it fit! Are you still hoping to come to Brands next Monday? Let me know how much you want for it and I can give you it on the day if you can still make it :)
Bloody cars
Tell me about it mate :(
all sorted or on the road to repair now james?
may fire you an email over later
On the road to repair yes thanks Neil :) I am just going to write up a slight update with a few details! Cool mate thanks :)
lmao, he was out on the town that night.. judging by his (and al`s) appearance saturday morning you caught him just before the beer took over hahahaha
Haha lol! They deserve a few beers at the very least :) Hope your well Stu!

Update:

So as a follow on from my last post about the sump being cracked, Matt called me first thing Friday morning and we had a chat about the sump and I described to him what I could see, we were both surprised as the sump hasn't taken any hit as far as I know so I am still baffled as to how i've done it but I'm just going to put it down to a dodgy casting and forget about it :) Matt said to bring the car down and they will sort it out along with the other race prep before the race at Brands next Monday. I had the day free on Friday because of the cancelled Teeside test so I slowly worked through my list of jobs to do on the car, I got the passenger seat removed, removed the intercom, got the new R888's fitted to the freshly repainted OZ's, labelled up the control panel, fitted the sunstrip and got my name on the side windows lol :) The stickers on the rest of the car will be fitted the day before the race because the wrap is getting a few things done to it in the mean time.

When I do work on the car it always takes me 10 times longer than I imagine it will take so I still didn't get chance to setup the video and data systems yet again but I will do this on raceday. I then set off to drop the car off at TDF :)

I really can't thank Matt and everyone at TDF enough, A lot of people ask me why I travel over 3 hours to get work done on the car and the reason is because I can't imagine anybody offering the personal level of service that TDF give while still doing great work and coming in at a good price. I know a lot of people will think that these are fan boy comments but without TDF I doubt I'd still be smiling about everything. I was supposed to arrive to Matt's at about 6.30pm on Friday but got stuck in traffic on the M1 and didn't arrive until 7.15pm I was that tired and worn out that I didn't even think to call on and let them know. Upon arriving then Matt and co were still patiently waiting for me and weren't bothered in the slightest with my late arrival. Instead Matt and the boys instantly got to work and unloaded the car from the trailer and started investigating and to see what the plan was for work next week. I was expecting to just drop it off and hear back from them next week but Matt could see that I was stressed out by it all and took a long time late on Friday to explain everything including the prep work they were going to do on the car and how they would fix the sump. We then discussed a few other bits and pieces for the first race and I mentioned about needing to collect the car before the race so that I could get chance to put the stickers on. I offered to drive down and collect it on Saturday but Matt went totally out of his way and offered to go into work on Sunday open up to allow me to collect the car en-route to Brands. He then offered to let me use the workshop to apply all the stickers and keep everything dry. These are all things that he never needs to offer but things that make my life much easier, Because of me he now doesn't have either Sunday or Bank holiday Monday off work which just goes to show his dedication to keeping customers happy. He has really helped me out with a few other things also and I am so grateful to him for everything!

I am now confident that everything will be sorted out and the car will be ready to roll on the 7th May for the race, Alan and Chris from TDF are supporting the car for the day which will be good although I do feel bad for Al having to come to work on a bank holiday which is the day after his B'day lol! Matt is also going to come down and see how I get on! I feel like they are all going well beyond what they need to do for me and its nice to know that I have so much support from them!

I am going to collect the car at TDF and then head down to Brands where apparently we are not allowed to enter the paddock until 7.30 so I will then get sorted and then get a decent nights sleep ready for raceday. The plan for the day is sign on and scruiteneering at 10, Qualifying at 11.20 and then the race at 17.30. I am really looking forward to it all and luckily am not feeling nervous like I expected I would. I have always said the aim for my first weekend is just to finish the race doesn't matter to me if I come last, I know this might sound boring but I need to just build up experience at the moment and not get ahead of myself.

Sorry if none of the above is written well but I still haven't had a decent nights sleep since last Tuesday so it's finally time for me to catch up on some sleep after a hectic few days and get myself ready for another busy weekend next week :)

Thanks as always for reading and i'm looking forward to letting you all know how I get on at the race :)

I have got a few pictures below of the car when I was at home

35337704.jpg

572b679a.jpg

0f91913c.jpg

064bda9e.jpg

eab67a32.jpg

28913045.jpg

283caf21.jpg

50e59c66.jpg

572f4873.jpg

c622e500.jpg

f30cc02d.jpg