ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Clio 172
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I need to get some cash and a wingman for October, not been to the ring for 4/5 years (went to Hockenheim for Schumacher's last race before he unretired). Things are going well at work so we'll see how I get on.

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

1000000% agree! Soooooo true.... It's MORE fun in a slower ca at first as well.

My first trip to Ring was in my old Sierra.... Was just way way way too powerful to learn the track in. Took my 911turbo the next time.... Again... Too fast!

Didnt actually enjoy driving there..... Good social crack but not fun to track car for me

Only once I did 2 whole days in a s**t box Alfa v6 that had 170 very old and 3 legged horses , s**t gearbox, NO brakes, more rattles than mothercare BUT amazing amazing handling did I get to know, learn, appreciate and full deeply in love the ring!

I started hiring better and faster cars like R26R's and M3's but if I am honest they were too much at the time so I went back to Clio 197/200's from RSR for a few more trips and LOVED it....

Soooooooo excited about taking my Clio over. I took my first 172cuo over and it was awesome... This new one should be even better.

I drive f**king hard at trackdays but the ring is different... I dial it down to 7/10ths in most cars... But in FWD cars I always seem to push that bit harder and enjoy that... In a Clio...I seem to turn that to 9/10ths as just so forgiving and friendly and raggable!

No way can I wait till october hahahahh! Toooooo excited! Back in London Wednesday and would soooo be heading to ring this weekend but gotta take clients to barcelona for the Real Madrid game :(
Haha lol at 'more rattles than mother care' ;) The place sounds so awesome and I'm getting so excited to go :D I hope you don't mind taking me out for a passenger lap as I would love to see how it feels when driven properly! I always find that with the clio's you can really push on them and they are nice and predictable compared to some other cars

Have a good weekend in Barcelona :)
If I ever win the lottery im going to build half a dozen identical clios all with only moderate power but great handling and just keep doing the ring as hard as I can until I either run out of clios or get under 8 mins with under 200bhp, but until that lottery win, its back to 7/10ths for me, LOL
Sounds like a proper plan mate :)

I need to get some cash and a wingman for October, not been to the ring for 4/5 years (went to Hockenheim for Schumacher's last race before he unretired). Things are going well at work so we'll see how I get on.
Yes mate it will be great fun :) Hope you get sorted!

Mini Update:

Not much to say really other than just doing some small bits and bob’s for the first race. I haven’t even seen the car since the Track day at Brands so I hope it’s still sat in my garage :)

The stickers have all been made and are ready to go onto the car such as the numbers, novice sticker, sunstrip and a couple of other bits and bobs. The work that has been done by Sprayshack is en-route back to me ready for the new set of tyres to be fitted to the wheels on Thursday so I am really looking forward to that. I think the next photos that I put up of the car will show it looking quite different to how it has done so far.

I am taking the car down to TDF a week on Saturday for a pre-race check over and to fix a few bits and bobs. The day before this I am going to take the car upto Teeside Autodrome and spend the afternoon just checking the car over and putting a few miles on the new set of tyres before the first race. We also have had a few issues with the video and data logger since it was fitted so it will give me more time to fiddle and try and get it all working in time for the race. My instructor has very kindly pulled a few strings to sort out the track time so I owe him big time! It’s a good little circuit really and has a nice surface to it, very tight and technical so I think it will feel good in the Clio.

Then it will be onto the first race, all of my mates are busy that weekend so I’m going to be going alone I think but I know a few people from here are hopefully coming down which will be great to see :) TDF are supporting me so it will be great to have their experience and advice as I am a total newbie to all things racing. My instructor who is a great guy is also going to be at the race although he will be a fellow competitor which could be interesting… lol

Apart from that then I have got a few more days out in the car sorted, I am going to be at Anglesey on the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] May for a track day, this will be in preparation for the race at the end of April. The race is on the coastal but the track day is on the international but my instructor knows the circuit owners well and has arranged during the lunch break for us to go out and try the coastal layout which is great. We then will have the Burpspeed Llandow track day on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] June which should be another great day and I’m really looking forward to. Porkie and Chip have very kindly invited me along to their Spa and Ring track days in October which I can’t wait for so once my Oulton Park race is over on the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] October then me and the car will be heading straight over to Germany for a few days which will be awesome! They both seem like such kind and generous people so thanks for having me along :)

That’s it really so I will try and get some video from testing at Teeside and hopefully get some photo’s of it all in race trim :) Thanks for reading

James

Clio II dCi

Congratulations on the car!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

How is going to a trackday 25th May going to help for a race in april?

182cup & 172 racecar

It's in June, thats why. 30th infact. Unless he's doing another series.;)

Then it will be onto the first race, all of my mates are busy that weekend so I’m going to be going alone I think but I know a few people from here are hopefully coming down which will be great to see
smiley1.gif
TDF are supporting me so it will be great to have their experience and advice as I am a total newbie to all things racing. My instructor who is a great guy is also going to be at the race although he will be a fellow competitor which could be interesting… lol

Don't forget we will be there to help as well.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

It's in June, thats why. 30th infact. Unless he's doing another series.;)

Then it will be onto the first race, all of my mates are busy that weekend so I’m going to be going alone I think but I know a few people from here are hopefully coming down which will be great to see :) TDF are supporting me so it will be great to have their experience and advice as I am a total newbie to all things racing. My instructor who is a great guy is also going to be at the race although he will be a fellow competitor which could be interesting… lol

^^^^^Count me in for that :race:

182cup & 172 racecar

We will just have to gang up on them.

How is going to a trackday 25th May going to help for a race in april?
Sorry Chip I meant June lol! I need to concentrate more :(

Thank you Tony really appreciate all of your help :) Anything I can ever do to help then you know where I am!
^^^^^Count me in for that :race:
Thanks mate, Will be good to see you again Mike :)
We will just have to gang up on them.
I'll slow them down for you as a back marker Tony and you can pass them yeahhh..... ;)

BMW Z4

Good luck Ash getting close now eh ;)

I can be on hand if you like. I'm planning on bringing my car up for the scrutineers to take a look ready for me to race at Silverstone.

Good luck Ash getting close now eh ;)
Thanks Mark, Yeah tell me about it! One of the reasons behind testing at Teeside is thanks to your write up about the starts :), I will have the track to myself so I can do practice starts in a safe environment because at the moment I have never launched the car before! Thanks for the tip ;) Hope the remedial work on the car is going well!
I can be on hand if you like. I'm planning on bringing my car up for the scrutineers to take a look ready for me to race at Silverstone.
Thanks Mark thats very kind of you :) That's a good idea and I wish I could of done the same with mine before the first race as i'm a bit concerned it will fail before it even turns a wheel :( I will look forward to seeing you on the 7th then! I was hoping to come and spectate at Silverstone but unfortunately can't make it now :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Whack a link up for the series calender so people know where and when they can come along and support you :)

Thanks Chip thats a good idea :) Dates are below but the one's in Bold are the one's i'm doing. Would love to do them all but unfortunately not practical until I have a second driver. Everyone is always welcome to come along and it would great to see people from here! I would really appreciate the support :D Any spare tickets I have will be given out so saves the cost of entry!

April 14[SUP]th[/SUP]/15[SUP]th[/SUP]: Snetterton
May 7[SUP]th[/SUP]: Brands Hatch (Indy)
May 26[SUP]th[/SUP]: Silverstone (National)
June 15[SUP]th[/SUP]-17[SUP]th[/SUP]: Spa Francorchamps
June 30[SUP]th[/SUP]: Anglesey (Coastal)
July 21[SUP]st[/SUP]/22[SUP]nd[/SUP]: Castle Combe
August 26[SUP]th[/SUP]/27[SUP]th:[/SUP] Mallory Park
September 15th/16[SUP]th[/SUP]: Donington Park
October 6[SUP]th[/SUP]: Oulton Park (International)

Thanks
James

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Shame you arent doing the combe one, thats the nearest track to me.

Might try and come along to the 15/16th donnington one if im not in the states at the time (its the 2012 drag week ending on the 14th and im not sure yet if we are going or not)

Evo 5 RS

Thought Combe was cancelled due to lack of sponsorship

Shame you arent doing the combe one, thats the nearest track to me.

Might try and come along to the 15/16th donnington one if im not in the states at the time (its the 2012 drag week ending on the 14th and im not sure yet if we are going or not)
I didn't realise you were that way on Chip, I haven't driven there and was trying to do races this year where I know the circuit.

That will be great if you can mate :) I am hoping for a decent result there as it's a circuit I used to know quite well! (Your other option sounds fun also :))

I'm not sure tbf mate, I just copied it across from the CSCC site :) Would be a shame if thats the case though

172 Race Car

Would love to do them all but unfortunately not practical until I have a second driver.
Thanks
James
Short people need not apply

Thanks Mark, Yeah tell me about it! One of the reasons behind testing at Teeside is thanks to your write up about the starts :), I will have the track to myself so I can do practice starts in a safe environment because at the moment I have never launched the car before! Thanks for the tip ;) Hope the remedial work on the car is going well!
As I said mate dont worry about doing a brilliant start, more likely to go wrong. Just get the thing off the line as if your pulling away at traffic lights on the road.

Thats us, we cant do it due to funds and a few other issues. Meeting is still going ahead

Evo 5 RS

Got ya, was sure I read it somewhere

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I didn't realise you were that way on Chip, I haven't driven there and was trying to do races this year where I know the circuit.

Taunton in Somerset is where me and Lesley are from mate although im mainly working in london at the moment.
Combe is a fairly easy to learn circuit but does favour cars with power as there are a lot of straight sections.

That will be great if you can mate :) I am hoping for a decent result there as it's a circuit I used to know quite well! (Your other option sounds fun also :))
Les's family are up that way, so can pop and see them at same time.

Short people need not apply

As I said mate dont worry about doing a brilliant start, more likely to go wrong. Just get the thing off the line as if your pulling away at traffic lights on the road.
Haha short people may apply but they will need to provide leg extensions ;)

Yes mate the main thing i'm worried about is holding it still without the hand break etc so just going to do a few practices on the slight up and down hill so that it's one less thing to think about :)
Taunton in Somerset is where me and Lesley are from mate although im mainly working in london at the moment.
Combe is a fairly easy to learn circuit but does favour cars with power as there are a lot of straight sections.

Les's family are up that way, so can pop and see them at same time.
Ahh I see mate, I presumed you lived in the City as I remember you mentioning working there.

I'm sure I will try it at some point soon it's just a long old trek from my way :)

Perfect well hopefully you can make it then :D

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

When you put your stickers on the car use soapy water in a spray bottle!! It will allow the sticker to be moved to the correct position and for all the air bubbles to be squeezed out. When it's dry the stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

Thanks for the tip Mark, I've used water before for them but will try soapy water thanks :) Had a slight change of plan now and going to fit them to the car at circuit on the day as got a few things being done to the wrap so i'm pushing it for time :(

182cup & 172 racecar

Sounds like us last year, putting stickers on just before quali.

182cup & 172 racecar

They will want to see the CSCC ones.

We could do them Sunday eve.

I guessed as much :( Will have to get it unloaded, washed and get them stuck on pronto then!

TDF were planning to bring the car down Monday morning but I might actually collect it on my way down Sunday and then gives me/ us chance to do them thanks for that Tony I would appreciate the help :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Give us something to do and pass the time.

I'm too excited :D Don't know how i'm going to manage for the next two weeks haha! I haven't seen the car for 3 weeks and I miss it lol

I can see how this racing lark is addictive and I haven't even started yet!

172 Race Car

I think you might actually explode when youve done a race then

172 Race Car

No that would make a mess. Is your suit dry clean only James?

Mmmm I'll try save the exploding till after the race but I suppose the suit will keep it all tidy so easier to clean me up ;) lol

You've just reminded me to get my suit cleaned from all the rolling around on previous track days fixing the car... I'm such a nooob and forgotten so much :S

182cup & 172 racecar

Mmmm I'll try save the exploding till after the race but I suppose the suit will keep it all tidy so easier to clean me up ;) lol

You've just reminded me to get my suit cleaned from all the rolling around on previous track days fixing the car... I'm such a nooob and forgotten so much :S

Oh, I thought that was your old one for messing about in.