ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Perfect :)

Haha I can only imagine for you mate but it feels bad enough for me lol Serves you right for having so many awesome cars :rasp:! I watched the westy vid again the other day and its just an animal! Yep its amazing how much things tot up :(

Haha thanks mate! You going to come to Burpspeeds trackday? Would be good to see you! Are you still hoping to come along to the first race on the 7th May?

Hope to make both mate!

You should have a drive in westy! Mad fun, with hint of scariness as it can bite back hard!

BUT Time off work can be bit tricky as I travel so much with gf at moment (she lives in sydney and i am lying on a beach right now next to her in Koh lipe whilst typing this!) so will have to see nearer time with track day.

Any plans for October 8th and 9th? Me and chip are doing the Ring and Spa with darren and his excellent destination nurburg company. Fancy it?

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Hello sunshine boy.Don't burn.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Too late :( Snorkelling yesterday without cream and got totally Freddie kruegered! Now at the pool bar sitting on stool in the pool surfing web and drinking beer. On 3rd now and mrs has stormed off in hump! Gonna be a nice day!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

LOL @ Sultan

Fecking stressful actually, Lee is the least patient person I know. Which doesnt combine well with Renault being the most useless dealerships to get parts from and most of the aftermarket suppliers being rubbish compared to other makes of engines im used to working with like Ford / Cosworth / Vauxhall etc. It felt the whole time like we were running massively behind schedule. LOL

Also very satisfying though as I owed Lee a load of favours I could never pay back, like letting me drive all his cool cars round various tracks for the last half a dozen years when I have nothing comparable to share in return, so it was nice to be able to do some unpaid labour that was a case of something that I could do

Was Amazing gesture when normally the type of favors I get from 'friends' is loaning them money and not ever getting it back! Lost over 100k now that way!!!!! Half to someone I grew up with and knew for 31 years!!! :( but can't change who I am as for every prick you meet in life you meet amazing people like you and mike woodford... People who would do anything for a mate or even an aquintance.... So what goes around comes around ;) your places at ring and spa are paid for by the way :) just get Clio there and back for me if poss pls!

Clio

Was Amazing gesture when normally the type of favors I get from 'friends' is loaning them money and not ever getting it back! Lost over 100k now that way!!!!! Half to someone I grew up with and knew for 31 years!!! :( but can't change who I am as for every prick you meet in life you meet amazing people like you and mike woodford... People who would do anything for a mate or even an aquintance.... So what goes around comes around ;) your places at ring and spa are paid for by the way :) just get Clio there and back for me if poss pls!
A lot of people about like that now mate. if you dont mind me asking, what is it you do? you've done very bloody well at it either way!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Was Amazing gesture when normally the type of favors I get from 'friends' is loaning them money and not ever getting it back! Lost over 100k now that way!!!!! Half to someone I grew up with and knew for 31 years!!! :(

Wow, thats an epic case of throwing stuff back in your face, I have had a couple of so called friends stitch me over money but were talking 1k not 100k!
Misplaced trust is a horrible feeling when it hits home how wrong you were!

but can't change who I am as for every prick you meet in life you meet amazing people like you and mike woodford... People who would do anything for a mate or even an aquintance.... So what goes around comes around ;)

This is it mate, I am not prepared to compromise on my own principles of treating others how I want to be treated etc just because a lot of other people lack those same principles!

your places at ring and spa are paid for by the way :) just get Clio there and back for me if poss pls!

Awesome! :D
Was beginning to worry it would fill up and we would miss getting a space as hadnt heard back!
Wasnt going to do Spa as well TBH but in for a penny in for a pound eh? :)

You really are a sneaky git though, you've just managed to pay me back the bloody money I didnt want from you, and worse still I didnt even see it coming, lol, when you said you would sort it I thought you meant getting him to invoice me not that you were paying it! Doh! I cant believe I missed that seeing as it was you and knowing what you are like!

Will give me a proper chance to finnish off the map on the clio now then if I drive it over as I didnt get anywhere enough road mapping time in on it after the rollers before having to hand it back to you so at least it can get finished off properly now (although still happy to do anytime before if you have a couple of weeks you arent using it anytime soon?).
Also do you want me to grab it off you a couple of weeks before and do the longer trumpets too or would you prefer to just leave it as it is with a bonnet that shuts properly etc?
Longer trumpets would help, but its not going to be a massive difference at the end of the day, we're only talking a few lbft really.

Properly looking forward to the ring, and the steaks, and now spa too :D Epic!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

A lot of people about like that now mate. if you dont mind me asking, what is it you do? you've done very bloody well at it either way!

He's a male p**n star mate, thats where the "porkie" nickname comes from, its cause he has so much meat.

Hope to make both mate!

You should have a drive in westy! Mad fun, with hint of scariness as it can bite back hard!

BUT Time off work can be bit tricky as I travel so much with gf at moment (she lives in sydney and i am lying on a beach right now next to her in Koh lipe whilst typing this!) so will have to see nearer time with track day.

Any plans for October 8th and 9th? Me and chip are doing the Ring and Spa with darren and his excellent destination nurburg company. Fancy it?
That will be great if you can :)

Haha I would love to thanks mate, but I can imagine when the turbo's get blowing it would all become very interesting :)

No worries mate and totally understandable! Haha you lucky git :( lol! Enjoy your holiday and look forward to meeting you soon :)

Just checked the diary and no plans so I have put the dates in :) I am racing at Oulton on the 6th so it would all be bit tight for time. I always said I wouldn't do the ring in the Clio but if it means doing Spa then I could definitely be tempted! I've always been scared s**tless of the ring which is why I have always steered clear so could be interesting :dead: lol
Not good mate :( Money has that awful habit though with people for some crazy reason and I know from experience also but luckily not that much lost!
Properly looking forward to the ring, and the steaks, and now spa too :D Epic!
Did somebody mention Steaks? I love a good steak! :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Did somebody mention Steaks? I love a good steak! :D

There are some totally amazing places to eat over there, and not just the 100 quid a head places porkie goes but also in the more normal restaurants the standard of meat is just massively higher than in the uk in general. For 20 quid you can have an amazing meal :)

The usual touristy thing to do is the steak on a stone at sabine's family restaurant but TBH you're going to struggle to actually cook it properly so although thats a good novelty thing to do just getting them to cook it to perfection for you is a far better idea.

Oh and the pizza places over there are epic too, and ludicrously good value even with the euro smashing the pound at the moment.

TBH its the food I go for really, the racetrack is just an excuse, lol

Steak and Clio's are the only things I enjoy spending money on lol

Yes I've done the stone cooking before and it's a laugh but as you say a pain to get right :)

Sounds awesome, Pizza and steak are my favourite foods so yeah I'll go and eat lots and do a couple of laps :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ha ha, you're going to get on great with me, Mike and Porkie by the sounds of it mate :D

Look forward to meeting you there and seeing this totally epic car of yours, hope your going to be liberal with handing out the passenger laps?

Haha when I read the post with Pizza and Steak I thought you must of known me lol! Perfect well I will look forward to the it :D

Thanks yes I will look forward to it! Yes of course I will be although I doubt I will do that many laps of the ring as I wouldn't know my right from my left round there :(

I'll go and check out the website for details of the days!

Yes definitely I think i'd be pretty sensible with it! Ouch hope it wasn't too bad mate! Thanks for link, yes I had just found it looks great I will get my thinking cap on and get planning! I wish it was possible just to do Spa and then I could wuss out of doing the ring haha instead of the other way round which they offer!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yes definitely I think i'd be pretty sensible with it! Ouch hope it wasn't too bad mate! Thanks for link, yes I had just found it looks great I will get my thinking cap on and get planning! I wish it was possible just to do Spa and then I could wuss out of doing the ring haha instead of the other way round which they offer!

Is it just you driving in your car?
I'm actually not bothered about the spa side of it, its mainly the ring that Me/My Mrs/Mike want to do, we werent even going to do Sap at all, so seeing as Lee as booked us onto spa as well, and you are allowed upto 4 drivers on one ticket and we only have 3 and will probably only do a few laps at Spa anyhow, then you may as well tag along on our ticket and we'll do lots of laps at the ring and just a few laps at spa and you can do it the other way around? As apparently you can swap between as many cars as you like providing only one of you is out at a time :)

Wont cost you a penny that way for the actual track sessions, as you have NO chance of managing to force any cash onto Lee Im sure!

Is it just you driving in your car?
I'm actually not bothered about the spa side of it, its mainly the ring that Me/My Mrs/Mike want to do, we werent even going to do Sap at all, so seeing as Lee as booked us onto spa as well, and you are allowed upto 4 drivers on one ticket and we only have 3 and will probably only do a few laps at Spa anyhow, then you may as well tag along on our ticket and we'll do lots of laps at the ring and just a few laps at spa and you can do it the other way around? As apparently you can swap between as many cars as you like providing only one of you is out at a time :)

Wont cost you a penny that way for the actual track sessions, as you have NO chance of managing to force any cash onto Lee Im sure!
Yes it will just be me, That is such a kind offer mate thank you! If you and Lee don't mind that then I would love to do that and I would obviously go halves on the fee! Even if Lee doesn't want to accept it then i'm sure I can persuade him ;)! If not then it looks like Steak and Pizza's are on me for a few days! I wouldn't mind if I didn't even do that many laps so you guys could still have the majority of track time at Spa :) Thanks again!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sounds like we have a plan then mate. We'll just play it by ear with who does what laps but we're just going out for a bit of a holiday and a few relaxed laps rather than harcoreing it all day so im sure there will be as much free time we're not on track as you are likely to want.

Although good luck buying Lee dinner, I managed it once but only cause I slyly paid for it by pretending I was going to the toilet and sneaking off and paying the tab while he wasnt looking, he's the worlds worst person at accepting anything from anyone and yet is also the most generous person I know, total hypocrit really cause he thinks its fine to give but doesnt think its ok to receive!

Me and Mike will be staying at a cheap local hotel ive stayed at before so I can book you in there too if you are trying to keep costs sensible.
We're going over either thursday evening or friday morning to get some tourist days in before the main trackday so you can either come for the whole time or just arrive partway through and i'll just book you for a couple of nights, depending on what you fancy doing if you're more interested in the spa bit.

That is awesome Chip, Honestly thank you so much! Yes sounds perfect the car will of had a hard time seen as how it's going to of just finished the race on Saturday and then straight down to dover to come across lol! So I won't be giving it a hard time, Will be nice just to get out of the country and see some new places :)

Ohhh haha! Trust me I will find someway otherwise he will have some cash in the glovebox when he's not looking ;)

Thank you very much I will drop you a PM in a minute Chip, I will just work out logistics/tunnel crossings and then send it over!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Excellent news! It really is the more the merrier. You will LOVE the ring. It's petrol head heaven... The best place in the world for atmosphere and the track is sensational. Without sounding like a dick I know it very well now and so does chip. Even driving at 7/10ths I will be able to get you going sub 9 mins In your car on the actual trackday. Sub 8.30 if you keep your foot BURIED and only brake when I scream!

Weirdly I am one of those rare people who didn't enjoy driving it at first... Took me 3 or 4 visits before I started to enjoy it... Then a deep deep love affair started! I went every weekend for 6 weeks a few years ago!

I will take Ferrari and Westfield and lotus out as well as clio if weather looks good! As much as FWD is my fav layout for the ring..... And my Clio so so so much fun and for 90% of the lap if can live with 95% of the cars out there... Lapping in a Ferrari with roof down and pushing it harder than most owners do at ring makes you feel like a superstar. Pushing a few locals along in an m3 or gt3 in a uk reg essex hairdressers spec donkey is an amazing feeling.... And hearing the engine wail at almost 9000rpm through the forests is properly epic.... The Westfield has to come if it's dry as well. Because crazy... And I have unfinished business with that car and the gp track. It can be one of the fastest cars out there... Even against the PROPER German race cars with nutty downforce IMHO. This has makings of epic weekend... 2 of my mates coming as well. One has identical lotus as me. Makes for some fun laps! He is race winning lotus trophy winner against some proper people.... But I can push him around ring as know it alot better... At Spa? He will be THE MAN. Has beaten Martin Donnelly the ex lotus F1 driver there in a race!

Shaping up to be a great week! I won't head over till the Saturday morning early maybe Friday afternnoon. If you break your car. Take one of mine or jump in with us. It's really a case of the more people and the better choice of cars we have there the better!

Am at the pool bar... Very drunk, very shrivelled and VERY excited!

Oh and the pizza places over there are epic too, and ludicrously good value even with the euro smashing the pound at the moment.

Pinochios!! I cant wait to go back, god I miss Germany :(

Thanks Lee, Yes I really can't explain how excited I am :) Very kind of you guys to have me tag along I really appreciate it! Haha yes I know I am 100% sure I will love the place but the thought of driving it is still scaring me lol. Not at all you both obviously have lots of experience round there and that counts for a LOT as its obviously not like a normal track that you can learn to a decent standard in an hour or so! Haha I will make sure I put the intercom back in after the race and then we don't have to scream then :) I would really appreciate the guidance as I don't know left from right there! Chip has also offered very kindly offered to show me the ropes so its awesome that you guys are so willing to help me out!

I think I will be exactly the same in all fairness with regards the track but we will see! Thats dedication 6 consecutive weeks ;) I fear I will be the same which has always been another reason i've never done it as once bitten and all that :)

Sounds great to me! I will have space in the car and also space on the tyre rack on my trailer if you need anything taking out that you can't fit in? Let me know if I can do ANYTHING at all to help out with the logistics and I will be more than happy to help. Haha yes I can imagine and you've got to make the most of having a convertible whenever the sun comes out! That's what I remember from the last time I drove a 430 they sound bloody epic at full chat when the exhaust valves open! "uk reg essex hairdressers spec donkey" just LOL ;) It will be an epic few days i'm certain of that and can't thank you all enough. Sounds like the best of both words and Martin isn't exactly a slow driver so thats some good going :race:Will be great to meet you all and spend the weekend together, it will be a big laugh i'm sure :D

Sounds good Porkie, I pm'd Chip yesterday and said after the Oulton race on Saturday I will go home for the night, Spanner the car and then set off at about 5-6amish Sunday so I will be at the ring in time to catch a couple of TF laps to get an idea for the circuit before the trackday. That is very generous of you as always thank you, I did think about it breaking so I have already managed to sort out a fall back car but hopefully it will all go to plan as I would love to do it in the clio :) If it breaks while out there then I would be happy enough just helping out and watching! It's really just a nice opportunity to get away and spend a few days relaxing :D

I will drop you a PM in the next couple of days about a few bits and bobs :)! I will look forward to chatting with you at length about it all at Brands in May!

Haha sounds awesome Lee well take care and I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday! Excited doesn't even cover it :D

Clio 172

Whats the crack with accomodation for the ring trip guys? I'm interested in doing this if I can find someone to half the bill, last time I went I ended up driving some 1800 miles and then doing the ring on the way home, was an expensive 5 days in Germany.

I'm not too sure for the Ring as Chip is kindly organising that for me and I'm looking for potential hotels for Spa :) Are you thinking of just the ring or Spa also mate? Sorry I can't be of more use but i'm sure Porkie and Chip will be along to let you know!

Haha sounds fun though ;)

Clio 172

I'm not too sure for the Ring as Chip is kindly organising that for me and I'm looking for potential hotels for Spa :) Are you thinking of just the ring or Spa also mate? Sorry I can't be of more use but i'm sure Porkie and Chip will be along to let you know!

Haha sounds fun though ;)

If I can get a deal I'd do both James but I've never done Spa and thats a real dream so might just do that. If needs be I'll pack a tent but as said I'd need to get a co pilot as I can't justify that expense on my own at present.

The Westy.The Ring. :eek::eek:
lol :)
If I can get a deal I'd do both James but I've never done Spa and thats a real dream so might just do that. If needs be I'll pack a tent but as said I'd need to get a co pilot as I can't justify that expense on my own at present.
Yes I'm the same I really wanted to do Spa especially but they won't do just Spa unfortunately, its either just the Ring or the Ring and Spa :( I hope you find a co pilot and let me know if you need the Spa hotel details and I will pass them on once decided :D

Evo 5 RS

Lcky feckers. I'm going next year even if it kills me :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Yes I'm the same I really wanted to do Spa especially but they won't do just Spa unfortunately, its either just the Ring or the Ring and Spa :( I hope you find a co pilot and let me know if you need the Spa hotel details and I will pass them on once decided :D

Looked into doing this this year, but easy track have been messing me around and they haven't organised one yet. It'll be 2013 now for me to do Spa :)

Lcky feckers. I'm going next year even if it kills me :)
Haha :) Sounds good mate! Hows the car doing have you got it back yet?
Looked into doing this this year, but easy track have been messing me around and they haven't organised one yet. It'll be 2013 now for me to do Spa :)
That's a shame mate :( I would highly recommend Bookatrack and from last time I spoke with the Owner they are running lots of days there this year I think! I can't wait :D

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Remember me saying At donington that I wasn't able to go the ring this year, well its gonna happen!! Only for 2.5hrs though one Friday though! Lol! A group of us are going to spa for the f1 and the ring was to much of a draw for me! Lol!

You WILL love it there mate. No uk track will ever compare after you've been to that place!

Hi Mark :) Haha yes I do remember you saying that although I also remember saying I doubted I would ever drive it so we've both changed our minds lol! Sounds good to me and i'm sure you will enjoy as always! Especially if it involves the Belgium GP I'm hoping to be over there myself for it this year if I can sort my pals out!

Haha don't say that lol! Can't afford monthly trips to the ring ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

On your first trip to the ring especially, and even the few after that, its really just about learning the lines rather than going mega fast, and in some ways thats easier to do in a slower car anyway, so from that point of view you might be better in your backup car anyway, but obviously I hope your clio is still in one piece as it would be epic around spa which wont take so long to learn.

My first two laps on the ring were in a Ford C-max, and it was still brilliant, and got to familiarise myself with the 'ring. Then did 4 laps in a suzuki swift from Rent4Ring and that was simply awesome, doing it again in August.

On your first trip to the ring especially, and even the few after that, its really just about learning the lines rather than going mega fast, and in some ways thats easier to do in a slower car anyway, so from that point of view you might be better in your backup car anyway, but obviously I hope your clio is still in one piece as it would be epic around spa which wont take so long to learn.
Yes definitely mate, unfortunately the backup car i'm thinking of is quicker :( lol! I'm certainly hoping it's in one piece! I was more worried about the reliability more than crash damage :eek: lol. Yes I'd love to do it in the clio really and Spa will be epic! I've made progress with hotels so I will drop you a message when I get a sec :)

My first two laps on the ring were in a Ford C-max, and it was still brilliant, and got to familiarise myself with the 'ring. Then did 4 laps in a suzuki swift from Rent4Ring and that was simply awesome, doing it again in August.
Sounds fun :) I think its the same with a lot of tracks they can be appreciated in car that aren't particularly quick/designed for the job! I've heard the Swifts are fun around there! Have fun :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

did 4 laps in a suzuki swift from Rent4Ring and that was simply awesome, doing it again in August.

Not driven the swifts yet, will hire a few on three on this trip though so that we can have Little races. Nothing like equal cars to make it all fun!

Hired a Stage 3 Corsa VXR off Rent4Ring, went very well. Was a lot of fun.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

1000000% agree! Soooooo true.... It's MORE fun in a slower ca at first as well.

My first trip to Ring was in my old Sierra.... Was just way way way too powerful to learn the track in. Took my 911turbo the next time.... Again... Too fast!

Didnt actually enjoy driving there..... Good social crack but not fun to track car for me

Only once I did 2 whole days in a s**t box Alfa v6 that had 170 very old and 3 legged horses , s**t gearbox, NO brakes, more rattles than mothercare BUT amazing amazing handling did I get to know, learn, appreciate and full deeply in love the ring!

I started hiring better and faster cars like R26R's and M3's but if I am honest they were too much at the time so I went back to Clio 197/200's from RSR for a few more trips and LOVED it....

Soooooooo excited about taking my Clio over. I took my first 172cuo over and it was awesome... This new one should be even better.

I drive f**king hard at trackdays but the ring is different... I dial it down to 7/10ths in most cars... But in FWD cars I always seem to push that bit harder and enjoy that... In a Clio...I seem to turn that to 9/10ths as just so forgiving and friendly and raggable!

No way can I wait till october hahahahh! Toooooo excited! Back in London Wednesday and would soooo be heading to ring this weekend but gotta take clients to barcelona for the Real Madrid game :(

Trafic 140dci

My first trip to Ring was in my old Sierra.... Was just way way way too powerful to learn the track in. Took my 911turbo the next time.... Again... Too fast!

Didnt actually enjoy driving there..... Good social crack but not fun to track car for me

Only once I did 2 whole days in a s**t box Alfa v6 that had 170 very old and 3 legged horses , s**t gearbox, NO brakes, more rattles than mothercare BUT amazing amazing handling did I get to know, learn, appreciate and full deeply in love the ring!

I started hiring better and faster cars like R26R's and M3's but if I am honest they were too much at the time so I went back to Clio 197/200's from RSR for a few more trips and LOVED it....

Soooooooo excited about taking my Clio over. I took my first 172cuo over and it was awesome... This new one should be even better.

I drive f**king hard at trackdays but the ring is different... I dial it down to 7/10ths in most cars... But in FWD cars I always seem to push that bit harder and enjoy that... In a Clio...I seem to turn that to 9/10ths as just so forgiving and friendly and raggable!

No way can I wait till october hahahahh! Toooooo excited! Back in London Wednesday and would soooo be heading to ring this weekend but gotta take clients to barcelona for the Real Madrid game :(

There is a few of us going 25th May for a long weekend if i could tempt you :p ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

My first time was in a borrowed saphire cosworth with fairly decent power, was quite shameful really blasting past everyone on the straights then holding them up on the corners, totally the opposite to what im used to doing on trackdays, lol

I can remember discussing it with you about half a dozen years ago and you saying you didnt like it, I couldnt get my head around why not, so Im glad you have seen the light now :)

Yeah your last cup was very good round there, similar to the E30 I used to use as a ring car, not really enough power for the uphil sections but you could forgive it cause it was so good on the bends!

Yes this is the ONLY way to enjoy the ring really, Ive done the 11 tenths thing and it wasnt a fun place to crash!
That said in your cup when you made me take out that lad we were chatting to about your F430 I found myself actually showing off slightly to him to proove the point me and you were making about how good the clio was, which was very bad, it was when I was trail braking to bring the back round going into corners etc that I was starting to enjoy it FAR too much, hence I handed the keys back and refused to drive it there again, cause thats not the way to be driving someone elses expensive little car round that particular track!

If I ever win the lottery im going to build half a dozen identical clios all with only moderate power but great handling and just keep doing the ring as hard as I can until I either run out of clios or get under 8 mins with under 200bhp, but until that lottery win, its back to 7/10ths for me, LOL

Im so busy this summer that I have no chance of getting over there before this october trip so I'll just have to wait sadly.