ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Aerodynamics, and you don't notice it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

good update,
great that you can get stuck in and improve your mechanics, not so great it happened on location but as others have said good you got something from the day

Golf GTD Mk7
You only learn by taking it to bits James ;) better these things happen now and not during races. Keep it up :D

172 Race Car

And it looks cool

Thanks everyone for all the comments :) Multi quote crazy time :D

What power steering header is that? Also how do you find the sabelt seat for comfort? I'm in desperate need of a more comfy seat with Nurburgring in a few months.
I'm not sure what make it is but it's a higher capacity to stop the PAS from boiling, Matt sells them and I think they are circa £130. The Sabelt is super comfy and is providing a better driving position in the car for me although its a massive shell seat and only just fits in the car. PM replied to ;)
What's race tape?

Sounds like a baptism in fire ;) Good experience though.
Thanks mate :) Race tape is just duct tape really although I should be grateful as without it then it would have been day over!
Did Howard tell you to use 3rd for paddock? Has he driven a Clio?
Not sure if he has actually Tony but for the morning session we used 4th round paddock and 3rd round druids which was Howards suggestion but I was out of the decent torque band coming out of druids (Probably not carrying enough speed through) so dropped it to second and it made up 2 tenths of a second when we looked at the data and felt a lot better. I then used 3rd for Paddock as it was then just one down change at Druids. The car does feel more planted and stable when in 4th at Paddock but didn't want to rush the box coming into druids going 4th to 2nd
Car's looking great, what is the little black box on the bonnet for?
As Colin (Shiftspark) has kindly said its the GPS receiver for the Datalogger :)
See one of our rivals have a sneaky test.
Haha yes they were and it seemed to be running quite well :)
Glad you got some time out with it this time - you really don't have much luck do you?

I've done track days for 2 years with the clio without a single fault - I must be really lucky

Hope it's all behind you now :)
Thanks Phil, No I don't lol everyone keeps saying it's because I smashed a mirror but I refuse to believe that, i'm hoping in future it will all be okay :)

Haha can we swap please two years of no issues would be bliss right now :cool:
Thats a fair amount of bad luck you've had recently. However, you certainly do seem to treat the glass as if its half full rather than half empty - good man! :)

Just out of interest why do you run with your windscreen wiper vertically rather than down? Can't help thinking that that would annoy me.
Thanks mate :) I'm trying my best to stay positive!

As Tony, Toast and Jay have said it's more aerodynamic, it wipes the drivers field of view in half the time and also looks cool :cool:. Its also because the wiper only operates about 120 degrees so if it were to sit down on the scuttle then you would have to use a shorter blade so it didn't go over the A pillars and also it wouldn't clear the whole screen because it doesn't do 180 degrees :)
phew, what a day.....got it together and turned it around, nice one. Jogged me into getting my Brands application off.
Thanks Pete :) Good stuff! Have they given you your race numbers yet? I'm number 12 :)

Thanks Phil, No I don't lol everyone keeps saying it's because I smashed a mirror but I refuse to believe that, i'm hoping in future it will all be okay :)

Haha can we swap please two years of no issues would be bliss right now :cool:

Hahah I'm sure it's just teething problems mate - having so much done all in one go. Just keep thinking about that race where you turn up and it runs sweet and nothing goes wrong - bliss :D

Hahah I'm sure it's just teething problems mate - having so much done all in one go. Just keep thinking about that race where you turn up and it runs sweet and nothing goes wrong - bliss :D
Yes hopefully :)! Haha I highly doubt it judging by my recent luck but I will keep my fingers crossed :D

182cup & 172 racecar

Starting to get excited now, only 4 weeks to go.

Still haven't got the car back from Matt yet, which is a bummer, I want it home so I can tinker with it.

Sorry to hear about that you are still having teething problems, it's a bloomin nightmare isn't it.

Tony

Me too, so excited :) Are you just driving to circuit on the Monday morning?

That's a shame, I was the same and couldn't wait to get it home.. gave it a good clean on Wednesday and now away again, i'm only going to see the car for four hours between now and the first race and that will be in my rear view mirror en-route to TDF :( (Need to find some time to put the stickers on!)

It certainly is but I have started to make a list of the last few bit's that need doing when it goes for pre-race prep at TDF so then hopefully should all be fine!

182cup & 172 racecar

Me too, so excited :) Are you just driving to circuit on the Monday morning?

I'll see what the weather is going to be like, might go down the afternoon before and set up camp, I like chilling out in the morning.

No worries well I am going to head down on the Sunday and hadn't even thought of camping really, do they allow you to camp at Brands? I was going to stay in the premier inn that I did the other day. I'm going on my own to the race so there will be a spare bed in the hotel room if the weather is crap and you want somewhere warm to sleep you and/or Jay ;) are more than welcome to it :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Having a van ftw.
We look like a refuge camp when we set up lol. But it works.

You could come down to the paddock for dinner then,we will be knocking up something.

Haha.. Yep that's all that matters as long as it works :) Think the MG's are racing during the weekend so I was planning on popping in and watching some of the racing!

Thanks for that Tony :) Would be great, will speak nearer the time. Hope you get your car back soon and you can get tinkering ;)

Finally got round to sorting out the stickers for the car this week for the couple of sponsors we have got so they are now in progress. I was also going to do a stripe and a few other details but just decided for now to leave it and I can play around with those details over winter when I'm bored ;) Can't wait to see them on the car along with a few other little details that are also in progress as we speak with Spray Shack!

Really looking forward to the first race now and think everything is in place for it!

I'm craving more time in the car at the moment so when Tony and Jay said they were running a trackday at Llandow on the 7th June then I jumped at the chance. Tony and Jay have helped me out loads over the last few months and its always good to see them so really looking forward to the day!

The details are on this page http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...peed-Llandow-Trackday-Thursday-7th-June-%A385 at £85 it was an offer too good to miss even though it does mean a 6 hour tow journey each way! It would be great to see a lot of people from the forum there and i'm sure it will be a good laugh!

Both my car and the Burpspeed race car will be giving passenger rides throughout the day along with all the other extras that they are including such as photography and breakfast it really is a bargain so thanks for organising it Tony and Jay :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Thanks James, should (will) be a good day.

Would be nice to meet you Ash, I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you throughout the year at the Tintops races.

I'll get some nice pics of the car at Llandow (I hope!)

182cup & 172 racecar

Might be able to do some cat and mouse filming, that would be fun.

Would be nice to meet you Ash, I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you throughout the year at the Tintops races.

I'll get some nice pics of the car at Llandow (I hope!)
Yes Dan will be great to meet you and I was saying to Jay earlier it will be great to get some decent photo's of mine :) I'm sure I will yes, I'm only planning to race in four of them this season but have got all the other dates in my diary so should still be coming along to them all!
Might be able to do some cat and mouse filming, that would be fun.
Yes some action shots from car to car would be awesome! I'm just hoping now that mine will work what with its issues last time it went to Wales lol

I'll bring my GoPro HD with suction mount, so you can mount that on either car for some footage if you like :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

sounds like a very good day this, dan i have a potential idea i may pitch to you over pm...keep your eyes peeled (will do some research first)
may involve various parties.....

emailed you james......
good to hear things are progressing more...

sounds like a very good day this, dan i have a potential idea i may pitch to you over pm...keep your eyes peeled (will do some research first)

emailed you james......
Thanks Neil just in the process of replying :)! If I can help with whatever your idea is then you know where I am and always happy to help ;)

I was going to say in the email that you should come along!
Just to let you know, your bits are with us James:)
Thanks Simon :) Sorry about the massive package but it only worked out at £10 for postage by doing it that way compared to £40 if separate! Hope your well and speak soon

182cup & 172 racecar

emailed you james......

You coming Neil?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

You coming Neil?

Well the 172 won't be done, theres a slim chance it will be painted and re-assembled but then i still need a loom and mapping but my priorities are to go to canada for a month in july so i won't be sorting those bits for a while...

Think i would like to come along anyways...

^You're more than welcome to come up to mine and we'll both head over, saving you driving across too, if ya want :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Thanks mate :) Yes I need to start driving it more really as I hate piling money into it and only using it once a month but I suppose the more I use it the more it'll cost lol!

You wanna start running a fleet of track toys and having posh fiat road cars.... That really stings! At least 2k every month without fail! And that's without using them somehow... When I start busting stuff it makes you wanna take up a cheaper hobby!

Hope that makes you feel better number 12!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

I'll bring my GoPro HD with suction mount, so you can mount that on either car for some footage if you like :)

Have you got a hero2 yet? I can't believe the difference!!!! Amazing. Big step up! And I think my Gopro HD is excellent

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

You wanna start running a fleet of track toys and having posh fiat road cars.... That really stings! At least 2k every month without fail! And that's without using them somehow... When I start busting stuff it makes you wanna take up a cheaper hobby!

Between your ferrari service, lotus box, and the work we did on your clio, it must have been ten times that budget in March!

Evo 5 RS

Between your ferrari service, lotus box, and the work we did on your clio, it must have been ten times that budget in March!
What was it like building a Clio for a sultan?

Porkie be mental

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

What was it like building a Clio for a sultan?

LOL @ Sultan

Fecking stressful actually, Lee is the least patient person I know. Which doesnt combine well with Renault being the most useless dealerships to get parts from and most of the aftermarket suppliers being rubbish compared to other makes of engines im used to working with like Ford / Cosworth / Vauxhall etc. It felt the whole time like we were running massively behind schedule. LOL

Also very satisfying though as I owed Lee a load of favours I could never pay back, like letting me drive all his cool cars round various tracks for the last half a dozen years when I have nothing comparable to share in return, so it was nice to be able to do some unpaid labour that was a case of something that I could do and he couldnt so the shoe was on the other foot for once. Plus the other thing is that Lee listens and understands things very well (he pretends to know far less than he does, just cause he isnt hands on doesnt mean he doesnt understand in a lot of detail what goes on in an engine) so when you explain you want to fit XYZ expensive bits to his engine even though its not a massive power build, he trusts your judgement, so its the chance to build an engine without having to compromise all over the place on cost like I have to do a lot of the time on other builds.

Porkie be mental

He is a proper petrol head like many of us, but its just that cause he has worked harder and been a lot more successful in life career wise (and picked the right career in the first place!) it means that he has deep enough pockets to own the things most of us only dream of.

Think i would like to come along anyways...
Perfect :)

Haha I can only imagine for you mate but it feels bad enough for me lol Serves you right for having so many awesome cars :rasp:! I watched the westy vid again the other day and its just an animal! Yep its amazing how much things tot up :(

Haha thanks mate! You going to come to Burpspeeds trackday? Would be good to see you! Are you still hoping to come along to the first race on the 7th May?