ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
£500 for a dash 2 Chip, £50 for a lead and then some more depending what sensors you want. You spend more in two track days I bet.

Is that got tyre temp readout on the overlay too, don't understand what the four tyres are representing?

Ive got a dash 2, and Ive got a RT data logger too (DL1)

Its the video overlay bit using their camera setup thats expensive, and using a gopro etc its a bit clunky to sync.

Cup In bits
Yeah I'm not for spending 2k-2.5k on a camera and data logger when the cheapest of loggers can be overlayed to give everything a club racer needs. Russ has gopro's attached to his iirc, slick system from what he's said but I don't know if he has it working yet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I'm not for spending 2k-2.5k on a camera and data logger when the cheapest of loggers can be overlayed to give everything a club racer needs. Russ has gopro's attached to his iirc, slick system from what he's said but I don't know if he has it working yet.

I got my datalogger off a guy who's car I used to map and he had the software to add in 3rd party video, but you have to add some sort of sync button that makes a light the camera can see and spikes on the datalogger or something like that and then line them up manually when importing, just sounded a bit of a ballache TBH and im quite lazy on video stuff.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
£500 for a dash 2 Chip, £50 for a lead and then some more depending what sensors you want. You spend more in two track days I bet.

Is that got tyre temp readout on the overlay too, don't understand what the four tyres are representing?

It isn't tyre temperature, it is looking at the relative speeds between the different pairs of wheels, four wheels speeds are taken from the CAN bus. I'm testing the tyre temperature sensors on my Clio :) Steering angle from CAN, brake pressure from a pair of pressure sensors I have fitted to the car.

MC

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It isn't tyre temperature, it is looking at the relative speeds between the different pairs of wheels, four wheels speeds are taken from the CAN bus. I'm testing the tyre temperature sensors on my Clio :) Steering angle from CAN, brake pressure from a pair of pressure sensors I have fitted to the car.

MC

Such a cool job you have.

Im very jealous!

I told you them modified hubs were s**t didn't I. I just can't believe that everything else around them got damaged pretty much, but yet they came out of it all unscathed. What an utterly pointless modification they were. You should've known better mangina.
Haha flol :)
Yeah I'll drag the missus out of bed early and get up there James, be good to have chat and see you use the car in anger ;)
Good stuff Dan! Hoping for a good weekend :)

Chase Racing Clio
Chip,

We've got the DL1 and a GoPro and I've found a reasonably economical way of producing the videos (like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhM2aw70Ts)

Our setup is reasonably simple.... we take the brake switch and use it to light up a small LED in the centre of the dash (you can just see it below the middle dial in that video), then that same brake switch sends a simple on/off signal to the data logger. There's also a little LED in the back window for the rear camera! So, to sync, I simply bring up a graph display from the data and move the picture along until the I get a spike on the graph, easy!!

I've been using RaceRender to do all this, which only cost about 25 quid for a copy and you can import a range of graphical displays. It's much more cost effective and easy to use than the twoddle Race Technology try and sell to you.

RaceRender is epic. I'm building a little arduino box with accelerometer and gps built in, which will sit under my sony action camera and record data which I can then feed into RaceRender

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip,

We've got the DL1 and a GoPro and I've found a reasonably economical way of producing the videos (like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhM2aw70Ts)

Our setup is reasonably simple.... we take the brake switch and use it to light up a small LED in the centre of the dash (you can just see it below the middle dial in that video), then that same brake switch sends a simple on/off signal to the data logger. There's also a little LED in the back window for the rear camera! So, to sync, I simply bring up a graph display from the data and move the picture along until the I get a spike on the graph, easy!!

I've been using RaceRender to do all this, which only cost about 25 quid for a copy and you can import a range of graphical displays. It's much more cost effective and easy to use than the twoddle Race Technology try and sell to you.

Interesting although TBH sounds like the same process Rob was using on my setup anyway, thats the sort of manual sync I was hoping to avoid.

Chase Racing Clio
Interesting although TBH sounds like the same process Rob was using on my setup anyway, thats the sort of manual sync I was hoping to avoid.

I'm afraid you'll pay through the nose for pre-processing equipment. If you wanna do it on some kind of budget, you'll have to do some kind of processing and that's the best solution I've found...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm afraid you'll pay through the nose for pre-processing equipment. If you wanna do it on some kind of budget, you'll have to do some kind of processing and that's the best solution I've found...
Yeah hence my initial comment. I will just put up with normal videos for now. It's all a bit sad just on trackdays even filming but if I crash I want a souvenir. Lol.

Looks like we are all set for the weekend :) Massive thanks to Fred for building the engine at such short notice and also to Paul and Specky at RS-Tuning for running in and mapping the new engine! Top job by Paul on the mapping as always, the car really feels great now so big thanks to all! Really happy that it has all gone well and looking forward to hopefully a good weekend! I will do a bit more of a write up later when I get in but for now the dyno printout which compares old engine to the new one so have 3 or 4 bhp more to play with lol :)

file_zpsfc058540.jpg

cam timing, that's all i'm saying! ;)
EFA :rasp:
Looking forward to seeing this Sunday in action :)
Yes buddy look forward to seeing you then :)
Excellent work guys, look forward to seeing it and you at the weekend :)
Likewise mate :)
Great meeting you,
Cant express enough the quality of the car, and the little touches that make it what it is!
Yes mate and you and thanks for the help with the oil change :) The car started smoking away this afternoon as I must of even got the oil on the exhaust mani lol!

Thank you means a lot! I can't wait to drive it now, me and Paul took it for a spin and it all feels good :)

Lionel Richie
cam timing is perfect, i did it, head gasket (the bit you refused to listen to me on!) is the issue, therefore its your fault :rasp:

Arrived earlier and got setup for the weekend!

Setting up the 'pop up' gazebo was certainly a challenge on my own!

nuvy5eza.jpg

Getting deafened every two mins by these

u8ujy5es.jpg

Anyway all sorted for the weekend got a list of bits to do on the car tomorrow to be ready for Sunday but should all be okay!

e3yqepas.jpg

Thanks to Fred as ever for saving the day by sorting me out with some headlights as I hadn't managed to get any to replace the damaged ones from Oulton so I have just got back from collecting them.

It's now hammering down with rain and planes taking off/landing every 2 mins right above my head!

I love driving in the wet but I'm not well prepared for driving this weekend in the wet as don't have anything other than 888's as a wet lol! So fingers crossed the forecast is wrong and it becomes dry :)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You'll be ok James, if I do remember last year you spent more time on the grass and that was in the dry!

Shall I bring my clio down tomorrow - and then if it's raining you could take my rainsports out lol
Thanks for the offer Phil but I should be okay with the 888's :) See you tomorrow!
You'll be ok James, if I do remember last year you spent more time on the grass and that was in the dry!
Haha so true, its a lot wetter out there this year so i'll be avoiding that!
There's a rumour that James has been asked to fit this for tomorrow:
D6099A2B-B36E-4EC5-96FA-D5ED34B157FC-4754-000006A7F85403C4_zpse9af7d3e.jpg
I don't need to the mini's have done it in the night race by the looks of the track from the track walk we have just done :)

Car is all done and ready to go tomorrow, managed to do scrutineering and sign on today so literally can fall out of bed into the clio and qualify :)

Did oil change and rolled the rear arches as they had been catching at Oulton massive thanks to Tony for lending me the tool!

file_zps68998355.jpg

Went out for a nice dinner tonight and then got back and did a track walk which was good so all in all a good day! It's going to be damp for quali so we'll see how we get on fingers crossed :)

file_zpsd45c86bd.jpg

file_zps2ff60898.jpg

So I slept in a bit late and it was slightly damp so plan was set to run the 888's. Then I got out of bed and the heavens opened! Time for a rush brake pad change and onto the 888's (closest thing to a wet that I have)

Then the car was all wet and steamed up so Adam very kindly dried it out.

With me being all wet and got the car steamed up when I got in.

It gradually got worse but had to just do my best.

Took it easy as its all too easy to end up in the wall and day over.

With nearly 40 people out qualifying ranging from 1-3.7 litre engines it was a very busy track with traffic being an issue on every lap.

Ended up somehow getting p2 overall just behind the Pug 205 of Gordon Mason and Tony just behind in P3 :)

The car felt pretty good really but looks like its drying out a bit so I'm sure it will all change!

u8asequg.jpg

340i
Great seeing you again today, congratulations on the win! I'll leave the rest of today's events for you to tell ;)

Thanks guys :) will update when I get home! Been a bloody long day as just leaving donny now! Had a great day and a great way to end the season! Great to see the clios out today and I think betwean is all did a good job of representing them :)

Thanks to everyone who came and said hi!