ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Approx weight of gearbox for courier?

182 FF, A6 Avant
Trying to get prices on getting my gearbox to Agency.

Does anyone know the weight of the box?

Also, any suggestions for a cheap company to use?

Thanks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You would be much better sending them a working gearbox not a broken one, will keep the bill a lot lower as there will be less to replace.

182 FF, A6 Avant
You would be much better sending them a working gearbox not a broken one, will keep the bill a lot lower as there will be less to replace.

Working boxes seem to be ~£200 though. He's quoting me £275 max from the problems I describe.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Pm Nick172Cup, he has a 182 gearbox in the shed doing nothing. Nowt wrong with it either.

In case you dont want the hassle of rebuilding your current one & having the car off the road that is.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pm Nick172Cup, he has a 182 gearbox in the shed doing nothing. Nowt wrong with it either.

In case you dont want the hassle of rebuilding your current one & having the car off the road that is.

Best bet if Nick only wants sensible money is buy it and then get Agency to give it the once over as Dave will no doubt be paying labour on the swap.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doubt it will be useful info to you Dave, but just so you know, the Ph1 box will fit too, and is a taller ratio diff, so better for motorway driving, but the ph2 diff ratio is better for performance use generally (unless its a turbo where the taller gears are handy), you can use the earlier type as well, only way it doesnt work is late box onto early car (late box doesnt have speed sender)

Parcel2go can be cheap but anything large I've sent with them has either been lost temporarily or tracking info not updated for week etc so always chasing it up (that was through yodel who are crap)

Paisley I think was £35-40, which will probably be who I use when I eventually find a spare box to also send to Agency.

Have you found out how much Agency will charge you to send the box back?

182 FF, A6 Avant
Bad news... Sat at reading services after losing 4th and 5th! Tried to carry on in 3rd but the noise was too much!

Kind of fucked now. :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doh :(

I assume you have breakdown cover?

If not I finish work just after 7pm today and could come and tow you home on a bar.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Doh :(

I assume you have breakdown cover?

If not I finish work just after 7pm today and could come and tow you home on a bar.

Cover lapsed last week! Plus I'm going to need it to get the car somewhere to be fixed. My dad is taking me home and we will go back for it later once the traffic has died off. Thanks for the offer though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doh! Fingers crossed you get it all sorted.

Ive messed mine up the other way around at the moment, am in RAC/AA/ADAC all at once!

I'm having a new box fitted Thurs/Fri and it'll be at Dan 519's if your interested, looking for £150, from a 172 Cup on 58,000, wine in 5th gear and the odd crunch from 2nd/3rd, was looking to keep as a spare but the cash would be handy, could be driven in the car if you could get there Thurs to try.

Regards Russ..........

182 FF, A6 Avant
Loan car sorted. Mother in law to the rescue, 1.0 micra!

Need to crack on tomorrow sorting it out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Guess you may as well just get your box out now and send that off seeing as your car is out of action anyway.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Yeah. Just need to figure the quickest way to get it done. Will call Mike at mwm tomorrow.