ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox removal, 2004 Renault Clio 2,16v, 1.2

2004 Clio1.2 16v
Hello, I,m removing the gearbox on my 2004 Renault Clio 2, 1.2 16v. I will remove the subframe completely. Can anyone let me know if any of the engine mounts need to be removed to remove the gearbox. Thanks in advance

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
You will need to remove the spider mount on top of the gearbox (3 bolts), and the gear linkage of course, top mount and rear mount can be left in place if you are moving the sub frame. just remember to support the engine from below during/after

2004 Clio1.2 16v
You will need to remove the spider mount on top of the gearbox (3 bolts), and the gear linkage of course, top mount and rear mount can be left in place if you are moving the sub frame. just remember to support the engine from below during/after
Thanks for your help. I,m changing the gearbox. Should I put the car in first gear and lock it there somehow and then mark the linkage connector, gearbox side, to another mark on the car floor?

2004 Clio1.2 16v
Thanks for your help. I,m changing the gearbox. Should I put the car in first gear and lock it there somehow and then mark the linkage connector, gearbox side, to another mark on the car floor?
When you said top mount and rear mount can be left in place, are you referring to the engine mounts? Will I remove one engine mount at the front. Sorry I haven't started the job yet. Will I need to loosen the nuts at the top of both front suspensions to remove the subframe. Thanks

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
I think the best thing to do is pull the gear linkage out of the gearbox from the circlip/pivot. That way you don't mess with the alignment of the linkage, hopefully when you reattach it to the box it still lines up

If you are fully removing the subframe you should only need to remove the gearbox mount (on top), the engine should be fine where it is.

You don't need to remove the nuts on top of the suspension. But you will need to loosen the driveshaft nut, remove the ball joint, and maybe remove the lower suspension bolts, to get the driveshaft out to pull out the gearbox (drain it before removing driveshaft)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Car on stands, drain box oil, remove both shafts, disconnect ball joints, remove steering rack to subframe mounts, remove lower dogbone mount, remove subframe (4x bolts) you will need to get a ring spanner into the captive nuts as they will just spin.

Support engine, remove battery/air box etc, remove upper gearbox mount then remove gearbox!

-------
I have removed them from the top before it's not that bad a job with everything out the way

2004 Clio1.2 16v
I think the best thing to do is pull the gear linkage out of the gearbox from the circlip/pivot. That way you don't mess with the alignment of the linkage, hopefully when you reattach it to the box it still lines up

If you are fully removing the subframe you should only need to remove the gearbox mount (on top), the engine should be fine where it is.

You don't need to remove the nuts on top of the suspension. But you will need to loosen the driveshaft nut, remove the ball joint, and maybe remove the lower suspension bolts, to get the driveshaft out to pull out the gearbox (drain it before removing driveshaft)
Thank you very much for all your help, much appreciated. I,m changing the gearbox, the linkage will have to be removed. I,ve read a lot more on the subject. The gear lever should be put in 5th and the gearbox linkage in fifth and the linkage then tightened. Ive included a multi page screenshot of some articles on the subject. Hope you can read them or I can attach individual pages if your interested to read them. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209-233449_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209-233449_Chrome.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 17
  2004 Clio1.2 16v

Thank you very much for all your help, much appreciated. I,m changing the gearbox, the linkage will have to be removed. I,ve read a lot more on the subject. The gear lever should be put in 5th and the gearbox linkage in fifth and the linkage then tightened. Ive included a multi page screenshot of some articles on the subject. Hope you can read them or I can attach individual pages if your interested to read them. Thanks

2004 Clio1.2 16v

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
@Frank1 no worries

I have aligned the gear linkage a few times, in my experience it's a massive pain! Best of luck

2004 Clio1.2 16v
Car on stands, drain box oil, remove both shafts, disconnect ball joints, remove steering rack to subframe mounts, remove lower dogbone mount, remove subframe (4x bolts) you will need to get a ring spanner into the captive nuts as they will just spin.

Support engine, remove battery/air box etc, remove upper gearbox mount then remove gearbox!

-------
I have removed them from the top before it's not that bad a job with everything out the way
Thank you very much for your help. You make it sound simple. I,ve watched a lot of videos but still a little apprehensive. I will start the job on Monday. Thanks for your advice regarding drainingbthe oil, I forgot. Best wishes