ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV

hmm, so can I jailbreak, keep the same slick Apple TV look (none of that xmbc crap), and have access to loads more shows and movies? As easy as that?

S3, Polo
I was thinking of getting ATV today, but a friend of mine said that an A5-powered variant (ATV3?) is due soon? Anyone got a rough estimate on when it's due? It'd be just my luck to buy something a week before an update's due! :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Holy s**t the apple part of cs actually makes me want to kill myself.

Ur mate doesn't know s**t, nothing has been released and nothing will be released until apple hold a conference and say so... There isn't one for the next week so you are good... But likelyhood some time this year they might possibly be another apple tv/iPad/iphone BUT no one knows when or what it will be or the specs it will have.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The next ATV probably wont have an A5 anyway, its behind cycle.

S3, Polo
Nothing imminent is great news - I'll grab one now - Thanks for the help chaps.

Though you speak some sense Malice you should really calm down, mate - did the question *really* warrant that much vitriol?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol every day someone posts on here "my mate said apple are gonna" only so many times it can be said lol

sorry if i upset you, here:

kleenex.jpg

Rav4
Nothing imminent is great news - I'll grab one now - Thanks for the help chaps.

Though you speak some sense Malice you should really calm down, mate - did the question *really* warrant that much vitriol?

For that price, you cannot go wrong. Try it out :)

Yea. I changed the DNS on my apple TV, and Netflix just kept crashing.

So I downloaded the PC version of unlblock US on my laptop using the free trial, enabled it, and then logged onto netflix on my ATV and all worked fine.
Since disable unblockUS on my Laptop, uninstalled it, and Netflix still works on my ATV as US version.
Cant still get all the region restricted UK XBMC add ons too :)

But as far as I can tell you don't need it.
First I just tried changing the DNS on my ATV to the one they said to on their website. But Netflix just kept crashing.

Then reading it it says:
IMPORTANT:
To activate the service, in addition to AppleTV you need setup at least one computer (iPad, iPod and iPhone can be used as well) with our DNS and click on the "Check Serivce" on our home page.

So I signed up for the trial (literally enter your email, and that's it, no payment details) and then downloaded their setup program. Set it to on, and checked service and said working. Then back on my ATV logged onto Netflix, and all the US content was there and wasn't crashing.

Then back on my Laptop, I turned off their program, and uninstalled it. So my Laptop has nothing on it. But my ATV still has the changed DNS address, and Netflix still works on US content, even without the edited DNS' on my Laptop.

And I don't get how they can stop people just using the DNS address they give? Guess I'll find out in a week. I've read up and it seems people on PS3/X360 who have simply changed the DNS have it all working and don't have to pay. It only affects PC use if you don't pay the subscription.

Then again I'm not to clued up on this whole DNS stuff.

Last edited:
Been looking at US Netflix more today.
There's not actually that much content. Admittedly far more than the UK, but still I wasn't bowled over in terms of films. Quite a lot of big name titles don't appear to be on there.
Don't know if its worth paying monthly for. Guess if I was more into series it would be

Guess I've just been spoilt by IF and 1C!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It still worked on mine too regardless of DNS, you just couldnt view anything.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Where did you all buy your micro usb cables as ive lost mine and dont really want to spend a tenner on another!

Soo. Updated my XBMC today to Eden RC1.
And now my ATV is constantly crashing and restarting itself. In a cycle.

Oh no. Its just Netflix that is doing it. So it appears Unblock-US no longer works now my free trial has ended.
Just changing the DNS on the ATV doesn't work.
Before I signed up for the free trial it did exactly the same. :(

Last edited:

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Got mine in poundland. I wont tell you what it cost.

Cheers! I must have a look at the weekend!

I got one on ebay but it turns out they are fussy little f*****s with regards to the cable they work with.

Inferno 182 CUP
Quick Q ..

I don't have ATV, but want one .. I'm currently waiting for Wednesdays refresh (i hope) ..

Assuming the refresh are launched with 5.0.1 is this jailbroken yet?

I only want ATV for Plex ... And in which case do i need XBMC to do so or can i just add Plex to the ATV menu?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Another decent add-on, Live TV. It lets you watch Sky channels and American stuff without the need for a proxy.

Link removed

Last edited by a moderator: