ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Event 27th Jan - Apple iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Mk2 Golf GTI
A big ipod touch, wow how amazing!

:rolleyes:

I wanted to hear macbook pro updates. When's the next opportunity they have to release them?

Mini Cooper
I think I like the idea of comparing it to net-books which makes it seem awesome. Thats how I'm seeing the point of it, an ultra portable laptop aka net-book (except not s**t). Also for an e reader its now the best available.

its so importent its not even on the apple uk maybe its only for the guibble yanks

Thats because they haven't sorted out the data plans for the UK yet

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I dont really get the ipad, I like the concept but I dont see its place in the market.

If I wanted something portable then i'd buy a macbook air really, I still want one of these though but I wont get one since I cant justify it.

Like above I would of preferred mbp updates.

Mini Cooper
I dont really get the ipad, I like the concept but I dont see its place in the market.

If I wanted something portable then i'd buy a macbook air really, I still want one of these though but I wont get one since I cant justify it.

Like above I would of preferred mbp updates.

Yeah but a macbook air is about 3x the price.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
True but I would say it fits the purpose of being a netbook better.

Anyway, I've just watched the video now and it does look excellent, really excellent. I had only read the features page when I wrote that but now I can see where it fits better. I'd be interested to see its 3G UK price and what sort of tariffs they offer.

But, along the e reader lines, isn't the idea of an e reader that the screen is matt and 'book' like and not glossy so you can read it without hurting/straining your eyes?

Mini Cooper
I think thats a matter of opinion, its a lot bigger and more expensive than most eBook readers around. So does that make it better?

Well in my opinion if I was going to sit down and read a long e book I know I would rather use that than the ones currently available. Ok it is like twice the price of the other e-books but your getting so much more.

But, along the e reader lines, isn't the idea of an e reader that the screen is matt and 'book' like and not glossy so you can read it without hurting/straining your eyes?

Personally I think that looks much easier to read a book on for a long period.

I didn't even want one at first and now I'm convincing myself DOH!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ive could sell me iPhones all day, when he speaks the guy makes a noise thats emits the same frequency as pure perfection.

I'm struggling to see a use for me (I have a proper mac that isn't much bigger) but for people like my Dad who's a technophobe and hates using "proper" computers but loves his iPod touch, this will be ideal. In-fact i've been given orders to purchase one asap.

I'd love this as a secondary "holiday" computer, it would be ideal on a plane or to back up my holiday snaps. Its tempting.

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Ive could sell me iPhones all day, when he speaks the guy makes a noise thats emits the same frequency as pure perfection.
Couldn't agree more, he makes me really want one.

I am thinking it is a good idea now, I could take it everywhere I go, keep it in the van and have internet everywhere. But then my iphone would be made redundant :S

182FF with cup packs
They've invented a niche with no real point

It's the X6 of the technology world

I couldn't work out what market they were aiming it at either, but I just watched the video on the apple site, and I think I've figured it out.

I think they're basically aiming for the "laptop down the side of the sofa" market.

I have a low spec latop which sits under the front of my sofa for MSN and general surfing while I'm watching TV and can't be arsed to get up and go to the PC. Its designed to replace that. That and a sort of fridge magnet type thing with all your family appointments and notes and stuff.

I am pretty anti-apple (they always seem to be form over function to me), but I must say that it does look like a very interesting little device and I might even consider one once my laptop dies. (and hopefully they'll be on gen 2 by then :cool:)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
iVE is the new jobs, he'll be doing key notes soon enough.

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't work out what market they were aiming it at either, but I just watched the video on the apple site, and I think I've figured it out.

I think they're basically aiming for the "laptop down the side of the sofa" market.

I have a low spec latop which sits under the front of my sofa for MSN and general surfing while I'm watching TV and can't be arsed to get up and go to the PC. Its designed to replace that. That and a sort of fridge magnet type thing with all your family appointments and notes and stuff.

I am pretty anti-apple (they always seem to be form over function to me), but I must say that it does look like a very interesting little device and I might even consider one once my laptop dies. (and hopefully they'll be on gen 2 by then :cool:)

Would you spend 500 quid on one that sits under the sofa? :p

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Where does £500 come from? It's $499 last time I checked.

Apple haters innit.

Apple are going to sell a s**t load of these, pmsl at the "i can't see a market" comments, clearly there are many people in this thread who have done better than steve jobs at bringing a company back from the brink.

Just showed my StepDad the vid.

"I'd like one. I like the fact you can dock it, how much?"
"Not 100% yet but $499"
"Let me know when I can order one"

I'm going to have to get one.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I have a Pc and a decent mobile, but i could see myself with one in the future. But i would prob want a keyboard!!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Only issue is i would need to multitask and dont reckon i could do it with this idinner mat

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Where does £500 come from? It's $499 last time I checked.

Since you're such an avid Apple buyer, you'd have noticed that as an American company they (like all American companies) tend to price the product in £'s exactly the same as in $'s

iSheeple

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Lets hope they sign up some decent newspapers and then i can flog my Kindle!

Its costing me just £15/month for a copy of The Time every day inc weekends.

Since you're clearly such a iGoon, I'd like you to find me a price that's the same in £ as it is in $.

I'll even give you the links to aid your fail.

http://store.apple.com/uk

http://store.apple.com/us

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TU614ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5Mg&mco=MTA4NTMwNDE&s=priceLH

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TU614LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5Mg&mco=MTA4NTMwNDE&s=priceLH

Not Apple products but they are being sold by Apple at the Apple Store

The Apple TV also came in close with only £6 in it.

I think he was trying to get at the fact that Apple always charge more over here. Why do we pay an extra £200 for a MacBook?

Sony are also excellent at this game with the PS3.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
^ What he said

You act like I've never had to buy Apple products before, I had to order a whole batch of Macbook Air's when they were released for utterly silly money.

They were very pretty, and I like the keyboards, but you couldn't use a mouse and a DVD drive at the same time IIRC (it was something that pathetic, I can't exactly remember)

Leopard was blatted and Vista was loaded on all of them, as the users they were bought for couldn't work OSX (that and it was a 100% Wintel house)

dk

911 GTS Cab
having watched the vids i need this in my life, its exactly what i need.

I don't like using my 17" laptop in the lounge as i have nowhere to put it, its too heavy and hot for being on your lap, so i use my iphone when sitting infront of the tv, but its just slightly too small, what i need is something between the two, but not something which needs to sit on my lap like a macbook, and not a bulky taplet, but a giant iphone, its perfect for what i need it for.

don't think there is any need for a 3g model though, for starters its going to half the battery life and why where would you really be using it where you need 3g? so many places have wifi and you can check your email on your iphone (if you have one) and use the ipad for apps and tv/videos you have already downloaded.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I think it answers a question no one asked. No one other than the fanboys will buy an oversized itouch… I love my iPhone. But what would I do with an iPad? A netbook for £140 is a much better option surely? I'll be genuinely amazed if this is a success. No flash, no multitasking and the size of it? Would you take it out with you? When do you think I need an iPad?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I think it answers a question no one asked. No one other than the fanboys will buy an oversized itouch… I love my iPhone. But what would I do with an iPad? A netbook for £140 is a much better option surely? I'll be genuinely amazed if this is a success. No flash, no multitasking and the size of it? Would you take it out with you? When do you think I need an iPad?
A netbook for £140 is a better options eh, then why did you get such an expensive phone instead of going for a free basic nokia?

Citroen DS3 DSport
Just home and have watched the video on the Apple website. Not convinced I really need one but I can see me buying the entry level 16gb version which I reckon will retail for £399 in the UK.

1998 BMW e46 323i
A netbook for £140 is a better options eh, then why did you get such an expensive phone instead of going for a free basic nokia?

Like I say I love my iPhone, but then it's tiny and very portable. I'm sure the iPad will be slick, but I can't see a need… a netbook, like the one my Mum got for Xmas just seems a much more practical option. Can't see the niche between that and a smartphone.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Like I say I love my iPhone, but then it's tiny and very portable. I'm sure the iPad will be slick, but I can't see a need… a netbook, like the one my Mum got for Xmas just seems a much more practical option. Can't see the niche between that and a smartphone.
Have you watched the video?

What really got me interested is when he was on the news site and tapped to make an article larger. You cant do that with a netbook, its the way it displays and navigates web pages which will make this better than a netbook imo.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Awesome. I watched the feed in our studio today... about ten of us shouted "Steve!" when he appeared. Sad c*nts.

iPad looks fantastic! Serious want.

PMSL at netbooks. Awesome if you want a dull, ultra low resolution screen, poor quality keyboard, and Windows. Pull the other one. Yeah thats the same an an iPad, in the same way my first ever mobile phone is the same as my iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.