ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Mini Adventure, to JCW GP...

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Re: A Mini Adventure ...

Awesome! Looks great. Really want one of these :/. Wish I could borrow someones for like a week to see how I get on with it.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

This is coming along very nicely young Crankee. When is it venturing on Track? You should bring it down to Llandow bud. Can have my drivers / car slot if you want as the flamer won't be fixed what with the house move. Text me if you're keen.

Can't do Llandow im afraid, although hand on heart, for the money it costs to get over there etc, id rather just do a 'proper' track, you can only go right so many times before getting a little bored ;). Thanks for the offer though, ill have to take you up on it so i can compare the Mini to a Clio ...

Spent the last few days learning about mini suspension, i can see this car being a money pit lol.

Clio Trophy #343

car looks good dave... if im honest though, i was half expecting it to have been sold by now..lol

looking forward to the suspension updates :)

Peugeot 308

Ah you went 15%, Is It really that much in terms of difference?? I want to do it to mine, but go 17% and get a GRS.

How's it feel now compared to say the pace of a 1*2?

I ought to be thinking of selling mine, but its addictive!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Ah you went 15%, Is It really that much in terms of difference?? I want to do it to mine, but go 17% and get a GRS. How's it feel now compared to say the pace of a 1*2? I ought to be thinking of selling mine, but its addictive!!

Massive difference! 35bhp according to my 'graph' lol - although that is a fairly standard increase for a 15% pulley change.

As i understand it, 17% gives you more torque low down, whereas the 15% makes it more progressive, more revs = more power etc. 15% gives about 4bhp less peak or something, but naturally less strain on the s/c and keeps the temps down when 'on it' for a while. With the track driving that this will no doubt be seeing, even with the GRS, id rather give away a little less in horsepower to have less heat/wear on things.

Power to weight is about the same for both now - Trophy (175bhp, 1075kg) & Mini (200bhp, 1215kg), so the difference is in how the power is delivered. Ill no doubt have a play against one of the FailSport 1*2's at some point, so ill report back :clown:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

This is looking smart. Very tempted to go for the 15% pully, shame that like always the mods cost more up north, £400 for pulley, belt, plugs and panel filter compared to 1320 who charge about £300 for the same package.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

This is looking smart. Very tempted to go for the 15% pully, shame that like always the mods cost more up north, £400 for pulley, belt, plugs and panel filter compared to 1320 who charge about £300 for the same package.

Try these guys, they advertise on Minitorque: http://www.mad4mini.co.uk/

Should be less than £300 for healthcheck/pulley/belt/plugs really. Or Lohen are just north of Birmingham.

I paid £230 at Minicraft for pulley/belt and supplied the plugs myself (£8 off ebay) :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I was only there for an oil service but the pulley is definitely on the list. Just over 200bhp for £400! And with the consumption on the mini it's not worth travelling to save £100 lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I could be a member of the club by later on tonight. I'm just worried about the fuel consumption and if 5k is a sensible price to pay for the paticular car im looking at. I need to grow some really.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Even with the extras I would t pay that for pre facelift. Did you see sl03 Joel's on minitorque that Dave linked to in my thread?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Even with the extras I would t pay that for pre facelift. Did you see sl03 Joel's on minitorque that Dave linked to in my thread?

Thats my concern...and you've not helped! lol! I could probably push 5-5.5k for my 3 series. For that I could build my own and it'd be a facelift. If I had enough of it after 6 months I reckon I could end up losing a fair bit.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Thats my concern...and you've not helped! lol! I could probably push 5-5.5k for my 3 series. For that I could build my own and it'd be a facelift.

Sl03joe's one is high spec facelift with diff, etc for less than £4.5k! They go for peanuts on the forums, so i wouldnt be wanting to spend too much on one really. As the R56's drop in price, the more expensive R53's can only go one way ...

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Thats why I would like one for a week or so due to fuel comsumption. Everyone gives different amounts of what they get to a tank and I think some of them just like to lie to make their car seem rapid or something lol.

Had 2 in work this week, one trip was reading 31.7 average and the other which had the jcw tuning package on was averaging 35.6mpg.

If it did 280-300 to the fuel light coming on I think I would be fine with that. Thats about the same as my 182.

987 Boxster S

Thats why I would like one for a week or so due to fuel comsumption. Everyone gives different amounts of what they get to a tank and I think some of them just like to lie to make their car seem rapid or something lol.

Had 2 in work this week, one trip was reading 31.7 average and the other which had the jcw tuning package on was averaging 35.6mpg.

If it did 280-300 to the fuel light coming on I think I would be fine with that. Thats about the same as my 182.

​I struggle to get any more than 270 to a tank. But I do a shortish 7 mile drive to work.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

​I struggle to get any more than 270 to a tank. But I do a shortish 7 mile drive to work.

Its around 24 to work for me, 2-3 mile of B road then the rest all A road. I could probably get more out the clio but i enjoy having fun in it too much.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I've no idea what I get to a tank, that figure is pretty useless to me tbh.

I got mid 30's mpg on the run up with varying speeds on the motorway. I dare say 40 is achievable if you stuck to 60ish.

Around town 30 is easily achievable, I'm getting just above that at the moment.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Mpg depends massively on what you're using it for, around town i get 240 or so miles until the light comes on (about 28mpg), but then this weekend i went to Cardiff and got a tank average of 34mpg (sat at 75-85 or so). I dont have a trip computer on mine, so thats worked out manually. Its not the best, but its not the worst either really.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Did you go 205/40 purely because of price? Or was there another reason?

Tangoed Works

I have had 205/40 and 205/45 on the mini. Have to say the smaller sidewall was nicer when the roads were smooth, but for everyday hooning the 45 is nicer. The 40's were Pirelli p zero Nero which are firm And the 45's I swapped to were Michelin pe2. Simply an amazing tyre wet or dry and works as well on the mini as is does on the 1*2's.

now swapped to Michelin pilot super sports. These are another level. Firmer sidewalls, but with a bit of camber upfront and pilling on speed through corners, they simply do not give up. For those who run 17" on their Clio they are well worth a go. Y rated as well in case you fancy hitting 180mph plus :p

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

So 10 days after having the pulley/R56S front brakes fitted, the front end started to rattle a bit over speed bumps, changes in road surface etc - as it started doing it after i 'bedded' the pads in, i assumed that either the pad retainers had fallen out, or the M1144's had crumbled slightly.

Last night i jacked it up to find that the drivers side brake caliper/carrier nuts & bolts weren't even finger tight!!! It was literally wobbling around all over the place, hence the rattles every time i hit a bump. FFS :mad: Good to see that mini tuning is full of incompetent numpties as well as the clio world then :rolleyes: needless to say i've now checked everything they would have touched & re-torqued it correctly ...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Bloody hell..lucky there then!

How you getting on now you've had the brakes/pulley a while?

So 10 days after having the pulley/R56S front brakes fitted, the front end started to rattle a bit over speed bumps, changes in road surface etc - as it started doing it after i 'bedded' the pads in, i assumed that either the pad retainers had fallen out, or the M1144's had crumbled slightly.

Last night i jacked it up to find that the drivers side brake caliper/carrier nuts & bolts weren't even finger tight!!! It was literally wobbling around all over the place, hence the rattles every time i hit a bump. FFS :mad: Good to see that mini tuning is full of incompetent numpties as well as the clio world then :rolleyes: needless to say i've now checked everything they would have touched & re-torqued it correctly ...

Same thing happened to me man, get some new bolts from bmw which come with the blue threadlock and the problem was sorted. I did the same as you but they came loose again.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Whoa. Lucky there Dave!

Umm yes, not best impressed tbh. Reminded me why i normally do everything on the car myself :slap:

Same thing happened to me man, get some new bolts from bmw which come with the blue threadlock and the problem was sorted. I did the same as you but they came loose again.

Will order some of those then! Although as they passenger side ones were fine, i think it was just sloppy workmanship ...

How you getting on now you've had the brakes/pulley a while?

Its epic, i keep looking at GP's now lol.

Umm yes, not best impressed tbh. Reminded me why i normally do everything on the car myself :slap:

Will order some of those then! Although as they passenger side ones were fine, i think it was just sloppy workmanship ...

Doesn't surprise me ;)

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member

very lucky there dude

now is this the same mini tuner who's getting a good slagging off over on MT?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

So yeah, after totting up what i wanted to spend on the MCS, ascertaining how much of it was 'throw away money' i.e. engine work & bodykit, i decided that if i could buy a quicker, better looking car, with minimal depreciation, it might just work better for my wallet. A perfect example of Man Maths in action if you will. I didnt want anything particularly expensive to run on a daily basis, so there was only really one option, being honest with myself, its been on my 'must have' list since 2006, & tbh, i just wanted one so badly :eek:

GP_zps9166a4bc.jpg

More pictures when i collect it on Saturday, but needless to say its mint, totally standard, & sounds like Darth Vader :evil:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Love a GP, are these still holding there monies well?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Having owned a Trophy it was clear once you started on the Mini path you'd end up in a GP. Really interested to hear how you get on with it, and a comparison to the T would be nice too.

Good effort, Dave.