ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

270bhp Clio 172 cup with Audi TT engine

Williams20V-306BHP
Re: Clio TT (172 cup)

Nope. its running fine!

It runs a Pectel T2 ecu mate. Nothing to do with a Ford.

Its 70% MG, 25% Audi, 5% assorted bit as I guess.

QUOTE]

Odd? A friend of his told me it had? Maybe he got it confused with one of his other cars?

What i ment was the Engine is running a Ford Coilpack (1.1 Fiesta IIRC) with custom leads then he modified the inlet to use the ford throttle body. Your right the ECU is an aftermarket one....what i ment was its the same he uses on the fords ;)

still a cool car!

Dave.... we need a bigger turbo! :D

172 cup TT

Bit of a long overdue update

Well this morning she is going to Edge Performance in Aldershot to finally get the downpipe made and connected to the BTB exhaust.. they will need it for a couple of days, then Saturday its in for its MOT, and then tuesday i am driving her carefully all the way to Emerald in Norwich on its base map to be fully mapped and FINISHED! the drive back is going to be amazing....

Anyway - over the past few weeks since Flan dropped the car off to me ive been working on cosmetic bits and bobs so it looks like a car again!!..

- Completely cleaned out the car that was FULL of bits, bobs, pipes, metal, and god knows what.....

- Installed 182 rear seats

- Refitted the Lower-half of the dash plus gear stick / knob assembly
BEFORE:
03082010440.jpg

DURING - Had to mod the old renault gearstick surround chunk of plastic thing as it restricted movement of the audi gearstick quite badly.
Gearstick1.jpg

AFTER - Kinda back to factory (Yep i need car mats :))
23082010464.jpg

- Flan was concerned that the ECU needed protection from the elements and from water getting up into the engine bay from below. So After destroying a number of tuppaware boxes settled on a waterproof material bag thing that has done the job perfectly.

- Flushed and refreshed engine coolant

- Bolted heatshield down

- Then wanted to give the Black plastics on the front end a spruce up...
BEFORE: FOGS + UPPER GRILLE TAKEN OFF
grillerespray.jpg

PRIMED:
grillerespray2.jpg

FITTED BACK ON CAR:
24082010470.jpg

- Then i wanted to spray the intercooler black so it made the clio look as standard as possible
BEFORE
05082010449.jpg

MASKED
grillerespray3.jpg

MADE BLACK
grillerespray5.jpg

- Then finally needed a new lower grille as its always had a very tired looking bit of mesh over it.. So thanks to Clio172Pete who managed to get me a brand new sport lower grille the front end is now ALMOST complete, and stealthy
YES i realise i need 1 new fog and a splitter (bear in mind the car hasnt had a wash YET-when its cosmetically all done then it will get a right going over :))
aftersprayandnewgrille.jpg

- Replaced mid and rear exhaust mounts with new ones

- Replaced the old yellowing CS sticker on rear window with new style fresh one

- Replaced old long ariel with a nice stubby one - thanks Mish!

Here are a couple of vids of it running, but very loud as has no exhaust what so ever! ha.. Bear in mind that i havent yet connected the rev counter (Yes i know flan! Bue+grey wire!:) ) so when reving it looks odd
th_Runningfrominside.jpg

Apologies why headlights seem SOO bright pretty sure main beam wasnt on!
th_Runningfromoutside.jpg

hopefully in a couple of days once back from Edge Performance it will all be ready to go!

Dave

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I was hoping you might swap the grille over for a proper sport jobby!

172 cup TT

yeh i know what you mean.. years ago there was a huge want for this MS design grille, but am kinda 50/50 on it now... still like it but not as much as i did. Not sure, your helping me sway toward changing it tbh...

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Saw the car in edge performance earlier today mate (did put a spotted) looks clean as, not really a fan of edge, you had work done by them before? Get yourself down to the camberley meet on 6th september.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Thats really loud on idle not suprisingly lol :) Love it though

172 cup TT

viva: thanks mate - no ive not used them before but its the only place i could find nearby (12 miles) that actually made custom exhausts.. The experience so far has been top class i must admit, very good bunch of lads, but of course the proof is in the pudding later this week.. and you thought it looked clean?, cheers, but its bloody filthy at the mo

Greeny: thanks - yeh, if laws permitted it would be fun to keep it that sound but after the exhaust has been fitted it should be all normal(ish!)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d

I quite like that grill tbh! Car looks great, and is gonna go like you know what.

172 cup TT

Cheers Jase - yeh somedays i likeit somedays i dont.. Never mind.. Apparently exhaust is all done, ready to be picked up tomorrow morning for its first proper drive to its MOT station

I remember that type of grill from when Middo had one in like 2006 (I think its MS Designs or something) when I had my Mk2, they are rare as f*ck. Looks good, keep it on!

172 cup TT

yeh thats right Foxy, its MS designs, cheers yeh ill keep it on... ah well, time to hit the sack for a few hours before going to pick up the car and put her on the road - feel like a kid on christmas eve!... touch wood its all good and then goes through its MOT without too much a problem

172 cup TT

well - got her back yesterday and its superb... service, fitment, and the sound. I didnt want something loud at all!.. to be honest wanted it as quiet as poss.. Maybe im getting old but hey!

Took her straight from edge to the MOT station to which she passed with a couple of advisories... Running it on the road for the 1st time in 3 years was mad, and because its only running on a base map Flan advised that i really drive it like a gran until she is mapped. It was almost the worst thing, actually driving the car but not being able to put my foot down - especially when a young lad in a vectra was trying to play, hope i bump into him next week but anyway...

Jacked her up and took a few pics of the exhaust, im so chuffed with it. Had the downpipe wrapped which protects the brake lines and gear shifters a bit more, and also the part which runs close to the fuel tank just to be on the safe side...

29082010485.jpg

29082010482.jpg

29082010483.jpg

29082010488.jpg

Added an extra mount for the down pipe plus a flange so if i have problems in the future its easily detachable
29082010478.jpg

this is where the downpipe joins the flexy pipe right after the turbo..
29082010479.jpg

Old CS Sticker
05082010444-1.jpg

New CS Sticker + stubby ariel
29082010502.jpg

How she looks now, i need to put on the new fog light i have and splitter on but its getting there.. - Off to Norwich at 5am on tuesday morning from Reading. If it survives and doesnt dump her oil all over the rollers then the drive back on tuesday afternoon is going to be nutts!

29082010492b.jpg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

love it, paint those wheel center caps!

So the exhaust is nice and quiet yeh?

v6

Looks awesome, what sort of power are you expecting?

Whereabouts in Norwich is it heading?

Sprint 172

Looks fantastic, nice to see it all come together. Did Edge make any comment on the BTB stealth?

172 cup TT

sorry just got in...... thanks all for your comments.. Yeh i heard another dodgy thing about edge too, but to be honest everything was spot on.... i think that the fact they knew it was going to get a fair bit of attention that they went the extra mile (which they should for all customers but hey)

Daz : Yeh annoying arent they... will do... might keep the actual diamond silver...yeh the exhaust is great.. sounds virtually standard really

Gregg: its going to dave walker at emerald... im hoping for at least 265brake.. i think 280 is pushing the k04 and dont want it stressed really... what im after is a 250brake per tonne car ideally, so i THINK it needs to produce 265 brake for that...

Naith: cheers, glad thats another positive for the front grille.....

Vecbtb: No, they didnt really.... didnt mention anything about btb.. which normally is good news i guess..

i need some sleep now, few too many sherberts tonight :)

clio sport 172 cup

just read the whole thread and all i can say is awesome work to all involved :)

Audi A3

incrediable amount of time and work gone into this, ive had work done by edge twice or 3 times i think as they where the only place i could get to do it, got it right 1 outa 3 times, but it looks like they've done themselves proud with the work they've done to your car!

260% JCW

Great sleeper, What do you think the total cost is?

I know its good to be different but is there a huge advantage power/driveability wise to having the 1.8 VAG lump apart from spares ect instead of a blown F4R?

Whats the weight of the car now, is it heavier than standard? Does it still handle like a cup?

Kev

Last edited:
  172 Cup

Dave, one word, COMMITMENT!! I hope you get what your after with power wise etc, i hope it goes well. The last time i saw the car is when the gearbox decided to lock its self up and the engine was about knackered!! I hope to see it soon on some local track days!!!

172 cup TT

Woah - what a day - up at 4:30am didn't get home until almost 11pm...

Well - it was a day of highs and lows.... long story short, car is ALMOST done.. but have driven it when it was fully mapped and problem free and it was just ridiculous, an absolute animal!!!... but has a few gremlins which im hoping some people on here could shed some light on..

Also, Dave Walker and co at Emerald give probably THE best service ive ever had in my life, an awsome bunch who completely go out of their way to get things done - I was meant to be out of there about 1pm but he wouldnt let me go! ha...

Firstly, left home and struggled to Norwich after getting all the way there on 2 cylinders.. turns out it was the firm ware on the base map for some reason

once there on with the mapping - sorted it back to running on all 4 then after a while it got another misfire on 1 cylinder.. changed all the plugs but it turned out to be 1 faulty coil pack... they drove me to Norwich (50 mile round trip) and back to pick one up from GSF...

Mapping commenced again, this time had TWO oil leaks.........turned out they were nice leaks.. one from it the gear box oil filler hole, the cover had come undone, popped this back.. 2nd from a cracked oil dip stick and it was being shot out the gap...

Mapping was finally finished - all great... next problem was, it was restricting itself - power down to only 240 brake - we/flan THINK it is the fuel pump, its a 172 fuel pump!...

So it was almost evening when we took it for a test drive and my god its an animal - BUT - after a few minutes it started to get a gremlin which... Initially it was just nuts(ran like an animal!!), but after a minute or so it would start to recreate what I could only describe as identical to a coil pack going.. I.e: putting foot to floor and wouldn't really go anywhere, and would be extremely jumped as if trying but cant....

Bearing in mind its almost evening now we then put her back on the rollers, switched her back on and it was fine!... drove completely fine?!?!!... if it helps to diagnose, the front of the car was at an angle downwards on the rollers...

Dave was stumped and it was very late at this point with not a chance of getting hold of any other coil packs!.. so I started the drive home at around 9pm... he is pretty sure that I need to replace the other 3 coil packs but unsure why they are being temperamental, I.e: working one minute then not the next...

I set off back home and all is amazing for a few minutes, its simply ridiculous!!!.. but slowly gets worse until when on the motorway its a real struggle to get above 60/70.... up hill its a struggle just to keep at 60... it feels JUST like a coil pack going/gone

I'm going to replace the remaining 3 this week, but what I (and Dave) find odd is how its fine once its restarted, completely fine, but ONLY for 2 or 3 minutes and gets progressively worse.

One other thing to add which I don't know if its related......... Coming off the M11 onto the M25 Clockwise there is a long tight sweeping right hand slip road... the car looses power completely, wouldn't even accelerate but engine still running... I had to pull onto slip road... turned off, turned on and fine!!.. actually superb back to normal then started to slowly die after a few minutes.. This wasn't a one off as when coming off the M25 to M3 south theres another long right hand sweeping and it happened again.. this time I gave it more time and tried more things but theres only so much time you get decelerating around a bend - this time the battery light flashed up too after a few seconds.. Once again, I pulled onto hard shoulder, restarted, and amazing for 2 minutes then slowly got its misfire back!...

so the car is all legal, mot'd, insured, tax'd, mechanically sorted, software/mapping sorted, just these weird electrical/coil pack issues!!.. HOPEFULLY the replacement of the 3 coils will sort it.. but I still don't understand how they all tend to work as normal for a minute after not working... I thought if they die, then they die!....

If anyone has any ideas then cheers... but, almost there!! Ive had a small glimpse into what the car is like and even at 240 brake its just insane... Ah well, im sure it will be all 100% soon!

Cheers

172 cup TT

oh and....
Crazycup : yeh, tell me about it!!! im close to going sod it! but its literally there now, i would be nuts.. as the few minutes i drove her was just amazing... simply amazing...

Kevster : well, its a good amount of money put it that way... but its been over many years.. its not too different from a turbo conversion.. i just like it because i feel the reliability is much better (once it works ironically! ha). I know that if you drive a renault box "correctly" then it can last for ever but most people dont. It drives great still, havent noticed a bad effect on that.... Re: weight - not sure. I am taking it to a weighing bridge near me shortly so will find out so i have a proper power/weight figure

'92 172, Lotus Elise

if it's fine after a restart but then get worse, maybe it is the fuel pump? when you restart it, the pump primes and builds up pressure... but as you drive it, it can't maintain that pressure whilst delivering the fuel required by the engine. Pressure drops off, performance gets worse?

might also explain the cutting out (sounds like no fuel to me) round tight corners?

172 cup TT

That seems completely logical doesnt it matteh, nice one.... also i just checked all coils again this evening and all fine... slowly lifted them all out 1 at a time with engine on caused blatent misfires and could hear them sparking on each cylinder, once each one was replaced the engine went back to normal... surely they are all fine

if it is the coil packs then effectively they are Working fine for 2 minutes, then die, THEN once engine off and back on they come back to life and repeat their "dying" process again.... if they are dead then they just wont work again surely

hmm so which fuel pump to go for.... guessing a standard VAG cupraR, TT, S3 etc would do the trick

if it's fine after a restart but then get worse, maybe it is the fuel pump? when you restart it, the pump primes and builds up pressure... but as you drive it, it can't maintain that pressure whilst delivering the fuel required by the engine. Pressure drops off, performance gets worse?

might also explain the cutting out (sounds like no fuel to me) round tight corners?

Mine was doing this today at Oulton if the fuel was below 1/3 of a tank. Never had it happen before, ever. Although now its a 172 pump, and it only happened on sharp right handers...

172 cup TT

really?.. interesting as mines still the 172 pump too isnt it... What are you running foxy, power wise?

Standard 172 engine mate, just raised limiter. Im running the 172 pump inside a Mk1 housing so it fits my tank. It never used to do it with the original Mk1 pump, as ive done many many days before and never had an issue, just seems to be since ive used the 172 unit. Had to be fuel related as I put more fuel in and it didnt happen again until the level got to 1/3 of a tank...

I was running R888's today, and the car is very stiff/rigid with a full cage/coilovers, so I thought it was down to that - which it might be, not allowing the pump to pick enough fuel up when exiting corners at high RPM..

'92 172, Lotus Elise

Standard 172 engine mate, just raised limiter. Im running the 172 pump inside a Mk1 housing so it fits my tank. It never used to do it with the original Mk1 pump, as ive done many many days before and never had an issue, just seems to be since ive used the 172 unit. Had to be fuel related as I put more fuel in and it didnt happen again until the level got to 1/3 of a tank...

I was running R888's today, and the car is very stiff/rigid with a full cage/coilovers, so I thought it was down to that - which it might be, not allowing the pump to pick enough fuel up when exiting corners at high RPM..

cant say ive ever had my mk1 pump surging like that, even with the fuel light on

must be something to do with the 172 pump? :S is it still baffled?

All I swapped was the pump itself inside (like the one you bought off eBay), the housing is just a normal Mk1 one... Was proper bogging down though for about 15 seconds coming out of corners, like cutting out numerous times then kicking back in once it had settled...

172 cup TT

hmm wierd f0xy.... and CrazyCup, to be honest im not too sure, cant rememeber.. will get back to you mate.

This chap had a very similar problem http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278029&highlight="fuel+pump"
Solved by replacing the fuel pump.. He too checked all coils (and pretty much everything else) and turned out to be a faulty pump.

The thing which goes against all this though is how come it was totally fine on the rolling road?... could it be because on that the accelerator is gradually pressed as opposed to 70% to 100% immediately?.. i noticed it was a bit better if i gradually throttled...

Williams20V-306BHP

Foxy, i had the same problem in my 20V mk1.. Fitted an Evo pump in the mk1 housing (same length as the mk1 so sat at the same level in the tank) if i got below 1/4 tank it would surge (mainly on righ handers)

Dave your problem sounds od? i doubt its power to the coils as there were two large wires going to all 4 and back to a large relay.... it seames very odd the battery light came on too? get on the VW forum and find out with the second wire is coming off the ALT. Although if it did need a 12V reading to charge the battery it would have run flat by now! check the belt too its not slipping...agian v-doutfull.

id say if one coil failed the rest might...just coz it sat for so long in the horrid damp...ect but get ur ass on the VW forum n find someone with 4 pin coils n see if they wanna swap for 10mins. (the drive of fast!! lol joking!)

you could whip out all the plugs n check the colour to see if its spark or fuel related. if its hard to tell clean them all, put them back in run it till it missfires for a bit.. then wip them out again.. or when it starts missfiring remove one injector clip at a time see if it makes a difference... could be s**t in the injectors that moves after the fuel pressure drops but then blocks again after a while?

hmm what else... check the rocker cover gasket for oil leaks onto the plugs....

orrrr it could not be getting enough voltage? have you tried it with every thing turned off... lights, sterio, wipers....ect? or if your concerned connect some jump leads to your car and see if she runs better!

its to early ill keep thinking :D

172 cup TT

Yeh i was thinking about that 2nd wire - what did you mean to say here chap? "find out with the second wire is coming off the ALT" i know its early dont worry... thing is, i think thats a red herring slightly because as you say the battery wouldve died long ago!... It was also driven most of the day with everything else off powerwise, but in the evening on way back it did have headlights on...

I know what you mean about the coils but then again, Can coil packs be faulty? i.e: work sometimes then not at others? i supposed that they either worked or didnt.. hopefully im wrong...

Yeh im talking to BadgerBill, he is giving a bit of insight into it too.. will let you know what he says

The plugs are brand new and i'll take a look and also check the injectors too..

I'll also check with Jumps attached and rev it.... i think i wont be able to recreate the problem though as it SEEMS to only be whilst on the move.

What do you think about it being the fuel pump mate? would this Walbro pump fit without too much a problem? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310041821203&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

A lot of VW'S have coil problems I have a golf with 9k on and its had the coils replaced already !!!
maf sensors also go faulty a lot too mate.