ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

270bhp Clio 172 cup with Audi TT engine

Homo spec mazda
Re: Cup TT ??

What sort of figures would you be looking at for this engine conversion, minimal number?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Depends on the engine you fit. If you keep the lump standard ( yeh right ) 150 / 180 / 225 bhp. If you modify the lump ( always go for the AGU engine Audi a3 / golf 150 bhp unit as it has the big port head ) you can expect from 270 bhp - 700 bhp depending on how far you wish to go. The cheapest option for big power most people opt for is the 300 - 350 bhp conversion. Most people keep the bottom end standard but if your going to use the car hard i recommend rods / pistons. A gt28 / VF34 with custom fabricated manifold / 440 injectors + other minor mods will give you this power. Your looking at around £3k to build an engine to this spec. I would invest in an LSD and suspension / brake mods with this type of power though.

Ph1

too many people on here live their lives by numbers.

As I said in my original post, it's not a fun engine! Yes it can be made to be fast, that doesn't make it fun. Mine's running arounf 270bhp so I feel I can comment on that.

Nice contradiction. ''too many people on here live their lives by numbers, mines around 270 bhp so i feel i can comment'' :lolup::rasp:

clio williams, Ph1 172

You cant compare a TT to a Clio cup with a 20v lump.. you just cant!

Its heavier, has a quattro system killing the power, traction control...ect and its a bit girly ;)

i feel i can coment on that as my Girlfriend has one :D

I believe that TT I saw you in a few months ago was your car ;) lol

Williams20V-306BHP

I believe that TT I saw you in a few months ago was your car ;) lol

Shut it youth! ;).... you need a 20v lump in your 172!! ;)

as for a price.. its hard to say, i would never offer a drive in drive out... not enought hours in the day :) You'd be looking at £2500-£3000 for all the bits then just time and Labour but thats running an Emerald ecu (there £650+280 seet up)

i have had plenty of 1.8t motor's , one of the best engine's around IMO , i had a 400bhp ibiza which was useless , lol , if the clio wasnt front wheel drive i would of considered putting a 1.8t lump in mine but as it is it would be useless even with a diff and sticky tyres , will be watching this thread !!!

MERCEDES CLS AMG

i have had plenty of 1.8t motor's , one of the best engine's around IMO , i had a 400bhp ibiza which was useless , lol , if the clio wasnt front wheel drive i would of considered putting a 1.8t lump in mine but as it is it would be useless even with a diff and sticky tyres , will be watching this thread !!!

Mate - my 0 - 60 foot times at Santa pod were 1.7 seconds. That was with quaiife LSD and hoosier racing slicks. Thats 4WD territory. You can still go through bends on half throttle - you dont have to keep your foot planted on the throttle full time ;)

Williams20V-306BHP

400bhp. That must have been amusing on the road, what was the spec? Were u running grippy tires.

I think 300bhp is a good power for this project. It's going to be a road and track car so need to keep a little drivability and reliability.

On track 300-350 will be fine with decent tyres... Might be a handfull on the road ;)

Oh and were running a TD04 evo turbo as a bit of an experiment... And it's allot cheaper than a vf34/28rs option, ok we will only get 330bhp max but that's more than enough to start. The target is a smooth reliable 300 ;)

clio williams, Ph1 172

Shut it youth! ;).... you need a 20v lump in your 172!! ;)

as for a price.. its hard to say, i would never offer a drive in drive out... not enought hours in the day :) You'd be looking at £2500-£3000 for all the bits then just time and Labour but thats running an Emerald ecu (there £650+280 seet up)

I would of man, but the 172 is my cheap runabout after selling the evo lol. maybe next year could do it.

Williams20V-306BHP

A Little update on the Clio, This is how the car was when it arrived. Engine mounts have been made, to be fair the construction is ok but its a shame the engine was not aligned first lol

Picture005.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture027.jpg

CopyofPicture015.jpg

CopyofPicture004.jpg

The cars been sat a while so its filthy and never a good sign when you find this sitting in the inlet port!! (its the base of an Injector)
CopyofPicture014.jpg

Gear lever is a tad bodged and the old inlet that has been cut and welded is rubbish... oh and not forgetting the cut wires!! Brilliant!!
Picture038.jpg

Picture028.jpg

CopyofPicture006.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Subframe looks... well....... i wont be using it put it that way lol

Picture031.jpg

After a good clean it looks a lot better..

Picture003.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Next stage... new subframe and fit the Clio DCI manual rack ( i hope it fits the 172 column) then realign the engine and modify the mounts.

Also need a new turbo as this one is to big lol
CopyofPicture011.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Williams20V-306BHP

This one's never been to GDI ;) must have been another?

Cheers for the Info Matt, do you need to change the track rod ends?

The Turbo was of an Evo 8... i could get it to fit but with alllot of work and a serious custom manifold.

Flan

Lionel Richie

who's car is this?

EDIT - Floodies

if the PAS rack, pipes and pump off his renault engine is going spare let me know!

Last edited:
  172 cup TT

Christ on a bike Stu! - cant thank you enough for that... im amazed at the state "you know who" left the car in and some of things that were done, yet in a way not suprised at all.. nothing suprises me with that guy now...

Kungfu: hi - yeh it has been to GDI a couple of times a long time ago for various bits and bobs... ive had her around 7 years now! jesus. Stu wouldnt have known its been to GDI really as its never had any "big" work done there like TB's, SC, turbo etc to warrant mentioning

Fred: hows it going chap?.. long time no speak... how long ago was it now since you did my wheels????.. once she is back on the road id like to pop back for a touch-up (to the wheels ) if thats ok... Message me Re:the rack-not a problem, not sure how much they go for though, cant be much eh

EDIT: If anyone knows anyone in need of an Evo turbo (TD05) please let me know too, ta

Williams20V-306BHP

Tiny update.

Standard Clio NS Mount bracket
Picture001-1.jpg

With rubbish std mount, way to flexible for this job!!
Picture003-1.jpg

Just got this back from the engineering shop!!

New mount with very stiff poly bush!
Picture004-1.jpg

Fits like a std mount
Picture002-1.jpg

Williams20V-306BHP

some break ive had!! been workin on the car all weekend but got lots done
New N/S mount
IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

new dogbone mount
IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

then the fun bit! Subframe... always fun with the zinc coating.. one unclean patch and the welder had a fit!
All done now
IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

also picked up some more driveshafts.. Big thanks to Mark for sorting that out :D

Next step...painting and making the shafts...joy

ValverInBits

Lovely work mate. Weld is very clean and the N/S mount is the best one i've seen yet!

Good to meet you the other day.

Williams20V-306BHP

Cheers dudes!,

Were now using the std TT inlet manifold... the inlet temp sensor is 10mm from the bonnet catch :D

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Hello you! Wheres this little beasty being kept at then? at your dads place?

ValverInBits

Cheers dudes!,

Were now using the std TT inlet manifold... the inlet temp sensor is 10mm from the bonnet catch :D

hope the boost piping works out ok with the pickup that side. Which side of the engine are you gonna come round off the turbo? N/S as normal? or try and do it like the stock TT and go O/S?

Williams20V-306BHP

i actually have the Std 225 bam hot pipe (intercooler pipe) that fits round the back and down the side (next to the cambelt cover)

There is loads of room compared to the MK1 ;)

oh Miss Bubbles.. your right ;)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Ooo can we come see? Bout time we saw you rather than the other way around!

ValverInBits

Forgot to mention stu. I've done a complete pin out of my entire AGU engine loom. I don't know what loom your using, but this may be helpful in the future.

http://www.mark-one.co.uk/downloads/AGU_EngineLoom.xls

I'm trying to work out the water route....having a big of trouble working out where the turbo water feed comes from. Might give you a PM later about it!

Williams20V-306BHP

One of the water lines goes into the back of the block. The other goes round the cam belt cover and into a steel pipe...along the front of the engine then into the pipes running into the heater matrix...

here is the K04 plummed onto the AGU (although i still need new copper washers) ;)

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 178
  Williams20V-306BHP
Re: Clio TT (172 cup)

To late... i had to go get the friikin washers!!!!

and all the gaskets... your rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!

check.....

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 104
  Williams20V-306BHP
Re: Clio TT (172 cup)

67ce287f.jpg

subframe painted and fitted, manual rack also fitted.... Now for the lump!