ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

27" iMac...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ordered my 27" iMac yesterday, this is what I went for :)

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One AirPrint Printer

Great spec. Welcome to the i7 club.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
God I want a 27" iMac.... Parents would kill me as I'm supposed to be saving.

Audi S1
Just installed Parallells Desktop, Windows 7 & Microsoft Office for Mac on mine :)

Sucks having to use Windows, but I need it for work :(

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Open box - place on desk - carefully remove screen protector - plug in

What's to set up? Get it open!

At the moment I've got a corner desk with a 21" monitor and a 32" LCD TV at right angles. There isn't really enough room just moving the monitor so I'll need to wall mount the TV lol. That was a job I was planning to do this weekend with not expecting the iMac until Monday.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
At the moment I've got a corner desk with a 21" monitor and a 32" LCD TV at right angles. There isn't really enough room just moving the monitor so I'll need to wall mount the TV lol. That was a job I was planning to do this weekend with not expecting the iMac until Monday.

Lift monitor and tv off desk, place on floor and get the 27" badboy setup ;)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Just installed Parallells Desktop, Windows 7 & Microsoft Office for Mac on mine :)

Sucks having to use Windows, but I need it for work :(

Is it not more beneficial to run Windows through bootcamp as opposed to parallels?

E36 328
Is it not more beneficial to run Windows through bootcamp as opposed to parallels?

Isn't that one or the other though? You have to boot up into windows or os x?

I got parallels on my MacBook last night, only got it yesterday, seems to work well.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Isn't that one or the other though? You have to boot up into windows or os x?

I got parallels on my MacBook last night, only got it yesterday, seems to work well.

Yup. But through bootcamp Windows is opened up to use more of your computers hardware better.

Spose Parallels will do for most as long as you aint trying anything to heavy.

Anyone run windows in bootcamp and use it to do occasional gaming on PC titles? If so is it any good (I'm not comparing to gaming rigs before anyone brings them up) for relatively recent titles on average settings? I fully expect it to be unable to run new games at high settings, just want to know if it's worth the hassle of dividing the HDD and buying windows for or utterly unusable.

Audi S1
I only use Parallel to dial into work. I was going to go for bootcamp, but there isn't much point. Parallell does the trick - W7 boots up in 5-10 seconds.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone run windows in bootcamp and use it to do occasional gaming on PC titles? If so is it any good (I'm not comparing to gaming rigs before anyone brings them up) for relatively recent titles on average settings? I fully expect it to be unable to run new games at high settings, just want to know if it's worth the hassle of dividing the HDD and buying windows for or utterly unusable.

Looking at a few of the comments on MacRumours people are able to run todays new games on relatively good settings. Spose it depends on what options you picked (1GB or 2Gb graphics etc) but people have definately said that they managed it.

Mine's as below
27inch model
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad

So aside from ram and HDD I ticked the other boxes on the spec. Just interested to hear if anyone on here has had a dabble and what their experience was like.

Yeah hoped it should be. Just wanted to get an idea if anyone else has tried on here. Guess I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy of windows then.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Yeah hoped it should be. Just wanted to get an idea if anyone else has tried on here. Guess I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy of windows then.

If you see the 64bit version going for a good price let me know eh.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Couple of pictures of my setup :)

I'm going to wall mount the TV in a couple of weeks. Concentrating on getting my music etc transferred across first as its a bit of a jumbled mess.

Before
6cdf0ae7.jpg

After
eac777fa.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
CS looks mental on 27". I need me some of that lol.

Tbf its a bit of a waste having the one window open displaying one page. The extra space on the screen means that you can have 2 (Or 3) different windows open side by side and they still "fit right".

Nice looking setup though. Wheres the 360 hiding?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Looks good N0ddie, mine isn't like that...

Nice looking setup though. Wheres the 360 hiding?

Xbox 360 is on the top shelf with Sky box, Bluray player and Xbox HD DVD player. Then I've got my new HP 5510 Airprinter on the bottom shelf.

bc57865d.jpg

Closer look. I need to sort out all the wires LOL (some are for the old monitor and tower)
f2dbc810.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Looks good N0ddie, mine isn't like that...

Xbox 360 is on the top shelf with Sky box, Bluray player and Xbox HD DVD player. Then I've got my new HP 5510 Airprinter on the bottom shelf.

bc57865d.jpg

Closer look. I need to sort out all the wires LOL (some are for the old monitor and tower)
f2dbc810.jpg

Ah! The stealth look lol.

I find that regardless of how much time I spend tidying wires it always looks a mess lol.

Had a weird episode tonight, switched the machine on and rather than just the circling loading icon I had an additional progress bar on the grey screen prior to the password box appearing. Once logged in I couldn't connect to wifi, even checked the setting and it had my router saved ok and a quick check on the phone after resetting the router showed the issue was with the mac only. Rebooted the machine fully and all was ok again. Anyone else had any odd things like this happen?

Had a weird episode tonight, switched the machine on and rather than just the circling loading icon I had an additional progress bar on the grey screen prior to the password box appearing. Once logged in I couldn't connect to wifi, even checked the setting and it had my router saved ok and a quick check on the phone after resetting the router showed the issue was with the mac only. Rebooted the machine fully and all was ok again. Anyone else had any odd things like this happen?

Grey screen with additional progress bar is a firmware update.