ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

27" iMac...

Beat me to it, I went for the trackpad rather than the mouse in the end and actually pretty impressed so far. Poking about with the latest mouse in John Lewis left me still of the opinion that while good looking it's a little flat/small for a blokes hands to operate in comfort.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Beat me to it, I went for the trackpad rather than the mouse in the end and actually pretty impressed so far. Poking about with the latest mouse in John Lewis left me still of the opinion that while good looking it's a little flat/small for a blokes hands to operate in comfort.

I think I'll be going to the Apple store tomorrow and buying a trackpad. Not that the mouse is bad, just not quite right.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I picked up a trackpad at the Apple store and after a wee play I think its better for just playing around on tinternet and general system stuff on the iMac however for editing photos and the like the magic mouse is better.

Also, the trackpad click is fudging loud lol.

Confirms my suspicions then, may pick one up for photo editing but stick with the trackpad for day to day use. I'm guessing for Chris it makes more sense to have the mouse in preference given his job and what the iMac no doubt sees heavy use for.

DB.

BMW 440i
Only thing with the trackpad is the noise as you click, still better than the mouse though!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm going to spec a trackpad when I order my iMac.

I can't decide between the 21.5" and the 27" at moment though :(

I'll only use it for the Internet, Microsoft Office, and editing my trackday videos so is it worth getting a 27"? Also it'll be in same room as a 32" LCD so I don't really need a large screen.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm going to spec a trackpad when I order my iMac.

I can't decide between the 21.5" and the 27" at moment though :(

I'll only use it for the Internet, Microsoft Office, and editing my trackday videos so is it worth getting a 27"? Also it'll be in same room as a 32" LCD so I don't really need a large screen.

Gotta go for the 27". The extra screen space means you can do so much with apps running side by side not having to keep minimising or maximising windows.

With the 27" you also get 2 thunderbolt ports as opposed to the 1 on the 21". With mainstream PCs adopting thunderbolt technology next year the price of thunderbolt peripherals will come down so they're greater likelihood of you utilising the thunderbolt ports.

Not only that buy the 27" is one sexy looking machine. We have ours in a room where it shares space with a 32" LCD TV and we don't think it's too much.

DB.

BMW 440i
If you don't get the 27 you will only regret it. It's a world of difference.

Mine is also in the same room as a 32".

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Think you are right about getting the 27".

Are the differences between the 2.7 i5, 3.1 i5 and 3.4 i7 that noticeable? As I said before I'm not going to be doing many intensive tasks apart from editing the odd trackday video.

If I go for the high end 27" I'll probably upgrade to 2gb gpu as well.

DB.

BMW 440i
Mine has never batted an eye lid at what i do with some basic editing, i wouldn't bother tbh for the money.

(Base spec 27")

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
We spec' all options except the 2TB HDD. Why, you buy a computer that suits your needs the now and at some point in the near future your needs change. We did it (spec'd it up) in an attempt the future proof it.

I spec'd the best iMac I could, with the exception of the user upgradable parts like RAM and HDD.

So basically just the processor and GFX. Haven't regretted it yet, and I'm sure this comp will last many more years yet before it starts feeling a bit old rope ;)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Yes, I'm going to add 16gb ram myself, not paying Apple's inflated prices. 1TB HDD is more than enough for me as well.

I can afford the top spec it's more that I don't think I need it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You have to go for the SSD also. Keep the OS on the SSD along with the apps and everything is lightening quick.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yes, I'm going to add 16gb ram myself, not paying Apple's inflated prices. 1TB HDD is more than enough for me as well.

I can afford the top spec it's more that I don't think I need it.

Do it.

Go for the Elite spec, I love mine. i7 + 16GB.

I didn't spec 16GB with the order though, that's a rip-off. Crucial were £110 for the upgrade kit to 16GB.

Audi S1
Chris - did you go for the SSD?

Tbh mine is only going to be used for browsing, downloading and admiring - but I'm beginning to think I should have gone for the SSD...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Chris - did you go for the SSD?

Tbh mine is only going to be used for browsing, downloading and admiring - but I'm beginning to think I should have gone for the SSD...

SSD wasn't even an option when I bought mine. LOL.

I wouldn't go for an SSD as it's my main workstation and it needs to hold 580GB of work stuff on the 1TB HDD. I've also got a 1TB TimeBomb (Time Capsule) that handles my backups to the MBP + iMac.

Audi S1
If you just use it for that, then it wouldn't be worth it imo.

If you use intensive programs like photoshop etc then go for it.

That's what I thought. It's a lot of dollar for hardly any benefit to me.

SSD wasn't even an option when I bought mine. LOL.

I wouldn't go for an SSD as it's my main workstation and it needs to hold 580GB of work stuff on the 1TB HDD. I've also got a 1TB TimeBomb (Time Capsule) that handles my backups to the MBP + iMac.

I got a 1TB HD for Christmas (before I considered an iMac) now the HD seems like a pointless purchase. My MBP only has 160GB so I needed a big HD for my 3D movies :eek: now I have 2TB in total. So much space!

SSD AND HDD ftw tbh ;)

Show off :rasp:

Audi S1
This is my iMac spec - it's coming tomorrow so I can't wait!
  • 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5
  • APPLE MAGIC MOUSE-Z
  • NO APPLE BATTERY CHARGER
  • Apple WL Kybd+User's Guide-B
  • COUNTRY KIT,IMAC-GBR
I'm going to upgrade the RAM ASAP. It's a no brainer for £35 - I don't need 16GB, I don't really need 12GB - 7GB will probably be enough but I may find a use for the extra 5GB :)

My desk is also coming tomorrow - went for the JONAS one from IKEA which seems to be quiet popular for obvious reasons. Picked up my leather chair yesterday as well :quiet:

Do it.

Go for the Elite spec, I love mine. i7 + 16GB.

I didn't spec 16GB with the order though, that's a rip-off. Crucial were £110 for the upgrade kit to 16GB.

I'd like to do it at some point but atm the upgrade is £200 which I can't really justify right now.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I was pricing one up today...but added on the i7 and 2Gb GPU. Came in just under £1900...now I'm just trying to justify it to myself and find a student to attack for discount. Do uni students get better discounts than college?

depends what uni you go to sometimes, i got 15% off my Macbook Pro 15", which was about £200 saving

Audi S1
I can't find out where my order is...

I have this to go by - In transit to final destination - carrier details to be updated shortly. :(

Audi S1
BS. Just called Apple and it's with a holding company which are trying to pass it over to TNT or UPS.

Won't be here today :(