ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 or GP

Italian 3.2 V6
what would you rather have the new 200 or the Mini GP and why?

GP
-quicker in every area
-SC wine
-better build quality
-rare
-hold its money better i would think

-four seats and bit more practicle
-warranty
-brand new

test drove both.. both same kinda price tag and ins quotes, MPG same, both drivers cars and very fun! etc etc..

cheers,

PSJ

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I'd get the GP, but i'm highly bias'd

you could get a GP with warranty if you can find one that has extended its warranty as my Cooper S is still under BMW warranty.

Only thing which it would come down to is whether you need your car to pull good MPG figures as the GP pretty much won't, and obviously with no rear seats its not the most practical of vehicles......

1 of 19 Recaro'd 182 Cups
As much as ive had enough of my mini after only a few months due to no 'fun factor' id say get the GP as id still love one .

BMW E30 325iiiiii
ur on a clio forum, in a clio discussion section and ur asking which one to take....obviously the mini.

LY 200
I love the sisters Cooper S but only because its well specced and quite luxurious however i dont think i would go for a Bini over a new well specced 200 in AG or RB (must be minus the ned like spoiler) though.

Cooper S
GP for me all day.....Assuming you can live with 2 seats. I'd love to only have 2 seats as I hate giving people lifts!lol

Tangoed Works
GP all the way. You will not lose any money on it and nearly all of them have been cherished.

I had a 182 from virtually new, was an excellent car and I still love them, but they just end up feeling fragile after youve had it for a long time and the miles go on.

My mini still feels great nearly on 61k now. Put 20k miles on it in 15 months.

gp hands down!!! awesome cars.

will not loose much money on it either.

i swear you have posted about changing your car to a different one every month this year!! haha, make your mind up boy!! ;-)

Italian 3.2 V6
Suprised most people have opted for the 200, would of thought it would be otherway around lol.

Going to have another look at it tommorrow but need to know some info if anyone can help out..

Just how offen does it need serviced etc and Whats the crack with Cambelt changes or any other major services that need carried out if any?

Any major problems etc things to look out for with the Mini's?

Cheers, PSJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmmm, it's a tough one this. Mini has alot more tuning potential but does look quite chavvy imo with that big rear wing and red wing mirrors, saying this, I do like them. I really like the 200 now and an LY or AG with all the options does tick my boxes, however I'd say they will be hit hard with depreciation. The Mini should fair a little better I'd say. You sure you want to be spending this much on a car?

Italian 3.2 V6
Yea it's pricey but my uncle is high up in BMW and is in charge of BMW Mini here In carlisle so I can get good discount and APR% on it, family rates n dicount FTFW!! ;) so when I come to sell it on I shouldn't loose much money after my discount etc.

but I agree on the 200 losing money quickly.. That's one other thing which sways me to the GP, I want something which will hold it's value well. I recon the GP will!

STEALTH RAIDER
All cars loose money PSJ, obviously the family rates do help but they wont keep you in pocket. Ive gone for the 200 with £1500 worth of options on a family deal. £13,228 after a £500 deposit, 0% over 3 yrs. Ive always had fords but fancied a change. If youve had a few renaults then i dont see why you shouldnt have a change. The 2 seat problem may be a cool thing :)

GTD, Lupo
Like the GP loads but could never bring myself to own one. Maybe if they called it something else i could. Its just not a mini to me.

Paul

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Any1 here know how offen they are due services and major services etc?

Cheers, PSJ.

Mini's have long life servicing so it's every 20k

And they have some weird service schedule, its not set out like how my Fiesta's was.

On my Fiesta it was 12 months or 12,000 miles, but on The MINI its just whenever the car tells you lol

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Since you've had a Clio I'd say gp, variety is the spice of life afterall, I'd of saved abit longer and gone the r26r route. The gp is gonna be more special as it's the peak of that model as the 200 is just bog standard if there was a r version of a 200 would it still be the same decision.

320d
I'd go for the mini. 200's are lovely and a great car but personally i'd go for a change for my next car probably something boosted for a change, hence the mini.

No Renaults! :(
I've just PXed an R53 Cooper S in for an R27. Most people think I'm mad, but I'd say definitely get the clio.

I found that the Cooper S was all bells and whistles and luxury trimmings, but at the core of it was a damn uncomfortable car. (OK I'll miss the heated leather seats). The ride was just hideous.

My R27 doesnt have the xenons my old mini had, doesnt have the climate control etc, but so far the R27 has proven to be superior as a driver's car and superior as a way to travel about. The only concern I have is the truly awful fuel consumption. I'm getting 28mpg where my mini used to get 32.

As regards driving, the Clio has a better chassis, and the torquey supercharged Mini, although great fun, had enough torque to shove the car into constant power understeer, whereas the more "pure sports car" revving nature of the Clio means it seems to corner FAR harder.

I imagine a GP is a lot more fun than my Mini was, but the Clio seems a more honest, enjoyable machine so far.

GTD, Lupo
Not sure if i wrote this before and it got deleted but the gp was 22k new, if renault put 22k into a clio it would be one hell of a car, but for 13-14k they have done a good job.

Paul

S2 106 GTI
I have just been looking at the mini GP's as I quite like them....but the price tag puts me well off them! for 14k you could have such a better car!!! as everybody knows cars loose money.......nothing will hold its value. My mates mrs has a cooper s and even though its nice and the noise is cool.. would I have one....don't know. I wouldn't go out my way to buy one, feel very cheaply made inside. Don't know what the GP's like

Italian 3.2 V6
Well yea it's pricey but I think it's worth it.. Lol. especially after test driving it and seing one up close in the flesh, love the interioir, love the leather recaro heated seats and it goes really well, alot quicker than the 172 (little lighter and 50bhp more and tap from the SC) and SC whine is absolutly lovely! So addictable! Nice and torquey aswell. Nothing I don't like about it barr the 2 seat thing, but then again in a way that's kinda cool and makes it more hardcore and sporty.. Yea all cars loose money but this looses it slower than most.. So can't really complain..

Also it's not a total different class to the Clio RS range (weight wise ;) ) so il still be able to tag along on the local meets n runs.. it's like the 172 but much better in everyway!

Should have the GP by the end of the week if all
goes to plan with my car Mon/Tue! :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Mini GP is a sublime motor.

204bhp/ton

Like you say, residual values are stronger. GP without a second glance, decent ones can be had for £15k now

GTD, Lupo
GP every time!!

The 200 is a massive fail, at some point R27's will be worth more..

Most pointless/stupid coment in this whole post. My mate has a classic mini cooper with 70 miles on the clock and thats worth more than a GP :dapprove:. A car is worth what anyone is willing to play.

Paul

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
GP every time!!

The 200 is a massive fail, at some point R27's will be worth more..

Have you actually driven one? I would guess absolutely not :lolup:

Some people might not like the front end but it is widely acknowledged that the 200 has had some serious improvements over the 197 (which was already a great car).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Gp all day long and i'm as big 197/200 fan.

The gp's are cracking cars.