ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 or GP

RB 182 with CUP packs
A friend of mine had a modified MCS (Circa 200BHP) & I took him to test drive a GP.
He said there almost no difference in performance & could not justify the money over & above his MCS.

HTHs

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I'm not sure which I'd take - I've had a 182 and currently got a Cooper S with a few tuning mods, but not been in a 200.

Good points about the mini for me: supercharger noise/boost/nice interior/less chav/girls love it (and therefore the driver lol). Easy to tune - mine's had a supercharger pulley change which has taken it up to 185bhp - and with an uprated intercooler you should see best part of 200bhp. After that a cam/plus/leasa/coil pack/remap with an exhaust manifold upgrade should see you to the other side of 225 bhp (and that's just on the 163bhp MCS)

Bad points: MPG not great (worse then then the 182 by about 5 mpg on average on all driving).

If you're worried about only 2 seats, why not look at a mini cooper S Works - almost as quick as the gp, but without the gay mirrors, and the lack of back seats. I should test drive both and see which is best.

For the track the 200 is prob better from what I've read, but a works work annihilate it in a straight line.

audi a6 3.0tdi
The gp deffinately. They will hold their value better and i personally would prefer one. I've loved all the mini's that my brother has brought home (he works for mini) .

ST
Most pointless/stupid coment in this whole post. My mate has a classic mini cooper with 70 miles on the clock and thats worth more than a GP :dapprove:. A car is worth what anyone is willing to play.

Paul

Have you actually driven one? I would guess absolutely not :lolup:

Some people might not like the front end but it is widely acknowledged that the 200 has had some serious improvements over the 197 (which was already a great car).

LAWL...gotta love you no0bs, the 200 is a fail on most accounts..

And for your information i have driven one, i was considered changing to one from my R27, but it was a royal waste of money, oh and for them being worth less than R27's at some point...watch this space..

GTD, Lupo
LAWL...gotta love you no0bs, the 200 is a fail on most accounts..

And for your information i have driven one, i was considered changing to one from my R27, but it was a royal waste of money, oh and for them being worth less than R27's at some point...watch this space..

Noobs?? I love people that judge others by post count and join up date, real sad :lolup: Ok back to real life here. There are Clio trophys out there that are worth more than a standard 197. You cant compare a special edition to a standard car. Get of the hate train and stick to the original subject which is about which would you rather have, not "i hate the 200". We all know its got an ugly front we all know that... oh wait thats it.

Back on subject shall we. I like the GP a lot and if you got the cash do it. Wouldnt go for any other model of mini as my 200 has had no real trouble with Mini cooper/S and i had a little play with a MCW which was very quick.

Oh and i live in the same Village as John Cooper grew up in and went to school with one of his gran children so have always had them pushed in my face.

Paul

Last edited:
Its a similar thread to the V6 or a 200, comes down to what you want, something older with more guts or something new with warranty either way i think you could have just as much fun in either the 200 or the GP. My mate had a GP, its a cracking little car and the fact that its only two seats makes u feel like your in a right little race car. Someone commented about price, it was around 22k i think so ur gonna get more. Also i think in three years the value of the gp and the 200 will be the same as the gp will be 6 years old, both around 10k.

ST
Noobs?? I love people that judge others by post count and join up date, real sad :lolup: Ok back to real life here. There are Clio trophys out there that are worth more than a standard 197. You cant compare a special edition to a standard car. Get of the hate train and stick to the original subject which is about which would you rather have, not "i hate the 200". We all know its got an ugly front we all know that... oh wait thats it.

Back on subject shall we. I like the GP a lot and if you got the cash do it. Wouldnt go for any other model of mini as my 200 has had no real trouble with Mini cooper/S and i had a little play with a MCW which was very quick.

Oh and i live in the same Village as John Cooper grew up in and went to school with one of his gran children so have always had them pushed in my face.

Paul

Oh so you've got a chip on your shoulder about the JC cars already...

Shall i bring my line in or are you gonna bite some more wittle fishy? :lolup:

Simple facts for me (on topic here) are these;

The only thing I hear from people on this site are moans and groans to do with something that has gone wrong on their Renault. Mine, luckily, never properly failed on me, but boy did it cause one or two problems (3 engine wiring looms replaced under warranty in the first three years for starters).

Now the first thing that has started with the 200 is the fact that Renault appear to leave iron filings throughout the car . . . that rust . . . and cause paint defects. Small? Yes. But what else is hiding!

A friend has an R27 and has had so many issues, regardless of how small they may be.

Have a look at the mini forums and yes, there will be issues, but nothing like the number that Renaults have.

For me, I would buy the GP any day of the week, if those were the only two choices.

GTD, Lupo
Simple facts for me (on topic here) are these;

The only thing I hear from people on this site are moans and groans to do with something that has gone wrong on their Renault. Mine, luckily, never properly failed on me, but boy did it cause one or two problems (3 engine wiring looms replaced under warranty in the first three years for starters).

Now the first thing that has started with the 200 is the fact that Renault appear to leave iron filings throughout the car . . . that rust . . . and cause paint defects. Small? Yes. But what else is hiding!

A friend has an R27 and has had so many issues, regardless of how small they may be.

Have a look at the mini forums and yes, there will be issues, but nothing like the number that Renaults have.

For me, I would buy the GP any day of the week, if those were the only two choices.

On topic and nail on the head. After i had a Citreon AX gt i swore never to buy another french car, whoops. German build quality is spot on but not faultless. I would deffo have the GP over the 200 for build and quality but if the Gp does go wrong there is no warrenty to fall back on and you better have deep pockets. I am very picky and have been in and out of the renault garage and have had about £1000 worth of work done on warrenty... so far...

Paul

S2 106 GTI
I was going to mention about buying a mini cooper s woks and tuning it up if your worried about the seats? also my mates mrs has the coopers S, had it for around 3 months now and loves it but just doesn't like the fuel bill! around here the BEST she can get is 27mpg! I don;t know what other people get but I thought thats terrible for what power they are.

.......At the end of the day its up to you! - just remember the other running cost's mate, tyres etc...18in iirc?

Italian 3.2 V6
Get a years waarrsnty with the GP an servicing
is free until it reaches 5years old or 50k.. Taxed n MOT'd :)

Mini Cooper S
Turbo Cooper S would be my choice. They achieve a good 35MPG

OP, any pics of the GP you're after?

S2 106 GTI
Get a years waarrsnty with the GP an servicing
is free until it reaches 5years old or 50k.. Taxed n MOT'd :)

Just out of interest piers will it be cheaper than what you are paying for your 172?? insurance I mean.....you were paying alot wern't you

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Always makes me laugh when someone has to justify their own choice of R27 when the thread was about Clio 200 & Mini GP....

Perhaps they're bitter about being caught out by a special edition 197 that isn't in any way special (other than some stickers). The Trophy is worth more now because it actually was a special edition :rasp:

FWIW - The choice in the thread title would probably be down to whether you wanted 3 year warranty and 4 seats instead of two.

Cooper S
IMO just like the R27 epitomises the best Renault can get out of the modern RS Clio until the next derivative is released (as the Trophy did with the 182)the GP does the same for the charged Cooper S'.

Add to that the fact that the GP WILL hold its value far better than the 200, better after sales service by a country mile and a much rarer car and I think you have your winner!!

Tangoed Works
The gp will have better mpg as my works does over a standard mcs due to the ported head fitted to them. Gentle driving around town will acheive 2mpg more on the mway about 3-4 mpg more off boost. This will be more on a GP due to lighterweight, no sunroof, alloy trailing arms etc.

Service intervals depend on how the car has been driven and determined by the indicator on the speedo when you turn on. No cambelt as it is chain driven, first 5 years service free and then £290 for TLC XL which covers the next 3 years servicing. Only difference engine wise from a JCW GP to JCW works is the intercooler which is 2 cores bigger.

Get rid of the runflats and you will have perfection.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Thanks for the link, can't say I like the wheels or spolier, but can't fault the performance :cool:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Do look so good don't they. I couldn't spend £16k on a mini though.

Think of those who spent another 10k on them to buy one new....

The only thing that pisses me off about the GP is that it doesnt have xenon headlights for some reason, seems a trait of the "special editions"

I.e the Trophy being another! Dont get that atall! :S

Italian 3.2 V6
Can some find n post this YouTube vid : Mini Cooper S JCW GP vs. BMW M3 E46 on the Nuerburgring Nordschleife I

sorry I'm on iPhone n can't do it :(

Gib- INS is a little more but now iv had my renual n have turned 21 it's hugly droped so all it guuurrrddd!!!!

Tangoed Works
No xenons = less weight. Nothing a trip to the scrappers cannot sort, although facelift xenons for minis are pretty pricey.

Not sure what is meant by pussy mini forums though (above comment), have a look over on mini torque.com. Plenty there that will surprise you, espesh as a 240 hp mcs can do quarter mile passes in the mid 13's. Quicker than standard mk2 FRS.

No xenons = less weight. Nothing a trip to the scrappers cannot sort, although facelift xenons for minis are pretty pricey.

Not sure what is meant by pussy mini forums though (above comment), have a look over on mini torque.com. Plenty there that will surprise you, espesh as a 240 hp mcs can do quarter mile passes in the mid 13's. Quicker than standard mk2 FRS.

Na i was only kidding dude, i just have images of oldies and trendies on a forum :) the type of people you mostly see in minis on the roads but im just messing :p

ST
If you get a Vee then you wont have to change to the pussy mini forums :p

Roffle...love this kid!!

We must remember like Clito RS's of yesteryear they are the be all and end all of front drive hatches..

Get a grip mate.

GP Works vs. E46 M3

[youtube]8Eqi9YhlTcg[/youtube]

S2 106 GTI
Can some find n post this YouTube vid : Mini Cooper S JCW GP vs. BMW M3 E46 on the Nuerburgring Nordschleife I

sorry I'm on iPhone n can't do it :(

Gib- INS is a little more but now iv had my renual n have turned 21 it's hugly droped so all it guuurrrddd!!!!

lol we still talking 2k mark??? :eek:

Working out who has not long bought a Mini is a real challenge in this thread.

Buy the one YOU want. f**k what a load of people on a Clio forum say.

Last edited:
If you are looking at a two seater that will hold it's value, then a mK2 Vee would be my choice.

Or if I wanted a normal car, an E46 M3, get a lovely one for 15 -16k now.

I like the GP but hate the wheels on it & the red mirrors (which go with noting on the car !) A mini to me is ok, but at the end of the days it's a massively girly car.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I would go for the Mini GP, its one of the cars I have always fancied owning.
Get the GP keep it for a year, then if u still want a 200 pick up a second hand one & let someone else take the 3k depreciation hit ;)

Italian 3.2 V6
If you are looking at a two seater that will hold it's value, then a mK2 Vee would be my choice.

Or if I wanted a normal car, an E46 M3, get a lovely one for 15 -16k now.

I like the GP but hate the wheels on it & the red mirrors (which go with noting on the car !) A mini to me is ok, but at the end of the days it's a massively girly car.

Would love a vee but they are double the insurance to what the gp is lol.. Also I don't think I would trust pushing the vee as hard as it's known the spin lol :S

Clio 182 Trophy
I would go for a 200 without having to think about it really, thats a personal preference of course, I dont like the new shaped mini's, hairdressers cars. Love the classic mini's.

Edit : But saying that the GP is alot less girly

Last edited:
Very immature I know but how much hair do you have (OP)? Nearly every Mini driver I see is a slaphead. Yet to see one in a Clio 200/197.