ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.0ltr Conversion Questions.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hello!

Bare with me, I have a fair few questions regarding this.

Basically Ive got my 1.2 to a point where I am reasonably happy with its looks, but I'm after more power. I am currently 20 and have just gone full time so I can now afford to run a 2.0ltr with the money I'm earning. Id be looking at changing my car etc in July when my insurance comes up for renewal by which time I'll be 21.

Anyway, I have been toying with the idea of getting a 1*2 engine put into my current Clio as Id love a sleeper and I'm quite attached to my little Clio as its my first car :eek:

I have some questions regarding it all though, as Id want it all done properly and Id need to get it all insured and declared properly for various reasons :(

Now Ive looked at the K-tec conversion, but its cost £3000, plus id want coilovers and a new exhaust system. I can deal with that, as Id want it done at a proper garage, and K-tec are only an hour from me. However here is my main issue......Insurance. Where do I stand? How do I go about changing it from a 1.2 to a 2.0ltr, and what is a rough idea on how much id pay in comparison to going and getting a 182?

Im stuck in a conundrum of doing a conversion on this, or just going out and getting a 182 in either of my favorite colours (LY or RB) and doing mods to that, because I know it would probably work out cheaper just to buy a sport.

Another question, are there any other places/companies that do a drive in, drive out conversion? Or even if I found a donor car would do a conversion for me? Also, once its done, I know some places wont touch me because its a conversion, I wouldn't want this to be a major problem if it needed seeing to by a garage for anything.

Thank you, Just be nice to see people views and if I'm best 2.0ltr'ing my 1.2 or just buying an RS next year. Ohhhhh! I hate decisions!
Mark

Cro

Meg'd r27
Unless its crazily different from normal, wait and buy an RS.

Been there done that, unless you have the skills to do yourself its much cheaper to buy proper. If you search you'll see every thread give the same answer

It's more than fitting an engine. How about brakes? As leaving the standard ones is frankly retarded, and to fit 172 front calipers surely you have to fit 172 hubs as well.

You want my opinion, get a 172. Want a sleeper? Fit non sport bumpers and wheels onto it to make it look like a sleeper...

I did what you want to do with a mk1 Clio, after the money I spent I could have bought a mint Williams and insured it for less than the conversion.

So completely pointless is what im saying.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
It's more than fitting an engine. How about brakes? As leaving the standard ones is frankly retarded, and to fit 172 front calipers surely you have to fit 172 hubs as well.

You want my opinion, get a 172. Want a sleeper? Fit non sport bumpers and wheels onto it to make it look like a sleeper...

I did what you want to do with a mk1 Clio, after the money I spent I could have bought a mint Williams and insured it for less than the conversion.

So completely pointless is what im saying.

Im talking full conversion, not just the engine, Ive got a couple of friends who've had it done so Im aware of what an undertaking it is, and what it involves.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Yeah, I am swaying toward just saving, waiting until July and trying to a get a nice RB or LY and minting them up.

SG9 Forester STi
The insurance makes me sigh when I look at how much i'd pay on a 182.

I went for the Ktec conversion and as you say I got the suspension/brake upgrades whilst I was there. The main reason I did mine is the car had, had a fair amount of money spent on it and along with the sentimental value it's a rare colour.

I love mine and it does put a smile on my face when I'm at the drag days etc. Only downside is that it is difficult to find an insurer and even harder to explain to them what you'bve had done (they're all idiots). I pay £1600 on my car and my quote on a 182 is around the £800 mark.

Having said that I still don't regret getting it all done. :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
1*2 insurance is alot cheaper than a converted car.

and for 3k you could buy a nice 172 or 182 .. then sell your clio on to cover insurance.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Owhh :dapprove: Just confirming what I already knew really then, I guess I'm better saying fare well to my Clio and getting a sport I suppose.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
1*2 insurance is alot cheaper than a converted car.

and for 3k you could buy a nice 172 or 182 .. then sell your clio on to cover insurance.

this pretty much, even if your fine spending all that money its the insurance that will get you mate.

ps. buy my ph1 off me in january

If you're going to pay K-Tec £3k (LOL) then it's massively pointless.

You'll spend £3k and end up with a car worth £2.5k.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
im sure a few member on here could do it for a smaller fee. many have done conversions now ( me included) but its time consuming as everything needs stripping back.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
im sure a few member on here could do it for a smaller fee. many have done conversions now ( me included) but its time consuming as everything needs stripping back.

I know someone who would do it for me, but id want a tidy proffesional job. Ive seen on the drive conversions before and they can look messy.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
all depends who you go for tbh, just make sure its done properly with no spliced looms etc. The swap itself is far from hard its just time consuming.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
all depends who you go for tbh, just make sure its done properly with no spliced looms etc. The swap itself is far from hard its just time consuming.

At the end of the day, if I can do the conversion cheaper, then the money I save can go on the insurance, but for the effort I think I may get a 182. argg! I hate this choice, I just want to make sure that I don't end up with a s**t heap of a conversion.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
girl. lol. good luck though, personally id buy a 1*2 and insure that, use the extra cash on some better mods :)

Yeah, Ive got a clear look on how id want a LY or RB, so I think the money id save if be able to create a minter.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I'm sorry, but I really don't know why this is a difficult decision.... I understand you love your current car, but you have to cut the ties at some point. Doing a conversion will cost you an absolute fortune and you wouldn't get anything anywhere near as good as a standard CS. I've done project work on cars myself over the years and no matter how hard you try, it's always a little pricey. You'll end up with a car that will feel like a jigsaw, no one will insure it and you'll be about 5 grand down.

If you buy a decent condition CS and spend some of your expendible income on making that a "minter" and you'll love it as much, if not more than your current car. Don't do it basically....simples!! Save yourself the time, effort and money.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I'm sorry, but I really don't know why this is a difficult decision.... I understand you love your current car, but you have to cut the ties at some point. Doing a conversion will cost you an absolute fortune and you wouldn't get anything anywhere near as good as a standard CS. I've done project work on cars myself over the years and no matter how hard you try, it's always a little pricey. You'll end up with a car that will feel like a jigsaw, no one will insure it and you'll be about 5 grand down.

If you buy a decent condition CS and spend some of your expendible income on making that a "minter" and you'll love it as much, if not more than your current car. Don't do it basically....simples!! Save yourself the time, effort and money.

I think its because I'm a big girl and I love my current car as its been my pride and joy for the last few years, but thank you for your input. I think commen sense has dictated that I should probably just get a 182 for how much it would cost me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep! good decision, Just sell it and buy a 1*2, will be easier to insure, will have all the other nice bits and pieces like the interior and the aircon and the brakes etc.

Its never worth trying to build a car for 3K+ that you can buy for less and still sell your old car.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Yep! good decision, Just sell it and buy a 1*2, will be easier to insure, will have all the other nice bits and pieces like the interior and the aircon and the brakes etc.

Its never worth trying to build a car for 3K+ that you can buy for less and still sell your old car.

Well Ive got the seats & aircon already :p but I guess with a RS I can rest assure that its been built like that and its not a mash of two cars, plus it'll be easier to insure.........I hope. Not been quote for one yet!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
the money you can save just buying a mint LY 182 over doing the conversion you could set up the 182 really well and have it feeling pretty fresh once the extra money you save over the conversion has been spent on some nice parts :)

but its your money so it might feel better keeping your car and doing the conversion plus if you find a nice engine to go in you can do some mods and make more power now before you have to mess about when its in :)

robs clio is much quicker than a 172/182 and so will vickyx's clio so its swings and round abouts on what you feel is right sometimes money being spent on something that everyone else sees as pointless compared to an easy option can make it feel that much sweeter in the long term :)

how long you looking to keep this clio if converted??

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
im sure BTM or birchdown would do a conversion for you as well if you give them the parts you need but it will cost but in the process it would have been done by someone who knows them inside out and backwards :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well Ive got the seats & aircon already :p but I guess with a RS I can rest assure that its been built like that and its not a mash of two cars, plus it'll be easier to insure.........I hope. Not been quote for one yet!

Will be easier to sell on later on too if its just a nice straight RS rather than a homebrew special.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I loved my first car. When you get a new car that's a lot faster, that love soon changes.

I'll vouch for that too! I had a NA supra as my first own car, I did love it, spent quite a bit of time making everything the way I wanted and it was sad to see it go. But I bought a turbo supra as a replacement and I think I love it a little bit more....BOOOOOOOSSTT!!!!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Few years most probably, I dont get bored of car to quickly

well then money spent wont go to waste tbh i spent 6K buying mine 2 years ago then 2.5k on insurance for the 1st year then more on other stuff just spent 1.5K on srevice and a few parts lol and now its worth around 4K haha

do i regret buying spending a lot on somethin everyone else told me is pointless doing...........no do i f**k as its awesome but yes i could have got somethin faster or more usable but i didnt want to lol

so just do what feels right for you :)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
well then money spent wont go to waste tbh i spent 6K buying mine 2 years ago then 2.5k on insurance then more on other stuff just spent 1.5K on srevice and a few parts lol

do i regret buying spending a lot on somethin everyone else told me is pointless doing...........no do i f**k as its awesome but yes i could have got somethin faster or more usable but i didnt want to lol

so just do what feels right for you :)

Gahh!!!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus

your gonna loose money on any renault at this current time so just do what feels right for you and not what someone else sees as a pointless waste because its horrible thinking "what if i had done that" or "how good could that have been" lol

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I would liken this situation to buying one of those MR2 replica Ferrari's for more than that of an actual Ferrari....

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I would liken this situation to buying one of those MR2 replica Ferrari's for more than that of an actual Ferrari....

well no because that is totally different and plus the MR2 will prob be a lot more reliable than the ferrari